Manhattan Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

CDTA

I wrote that because I was bored and was curious to know what people thought about the idea. Either way I wasn't being serious.

I'm pretty sure you had more better things to do instead of posting erroneous ideas, I'm just saying.

The M101 and M102 used to go to City Hall, but because of the many bus breakdowns(when the fleet systemwide was in disarray) along with the delays it would suffer along the route because of the sheer length of it all, they decided to shorten those two lines in favor of the new M103 which would go to City Hall & 125th Street.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though the bus bunch, they still get very full. Short turning it would cause much bigger problems in crowds , in Queens especially, than

before.

i was thinking since the m60 has bunching problems how about utilizing a short turn  i see on ttmg wiki that it has a code for 125 and amsterdam,  what are your thoughts and opinions, every 3rd bus turns there.

Saw these posts late.

Actually, there are some M60s that short turn at 2nd Avenue-125th and 125th-Amsterdam. I've personally seen and shot those buses. It happens every now and then.

Edited by Cait Sith

• 4 weeks later...

The most important thing to do first is to close service gaps, not add layers of service, which would be a waste of our tax dollars.

The M1 south of the Cooper Union should be restored all times except nights.  And, there should also be a route that traverses Greenwich St.  In order to do this, the M5 would have to be cut back to Houston St, and the M6 would be restored.  The new M6 would operate northbound via 6th Ave, but southbound via 7th Av, 7th Ave South, West Broadway, Worth St, and Broadway to South Ferry.  The M20 southbound would then be shifted to 9th Ave, Hudson St, Bethune St, Greenwich St, Chambers St, then back to its current routing to South Ferry.

M9 service via Avenue B should also be restored.  There should also be a route that traverses Avenue C/Pitt St.  An extended M22 would be the likely choice (Cherry St Loop would be maintained).  The only drawback is that Pitt St would have to become a two-way street.  In order to do this, street parking would have to be removed from one side of the street.  If this can't be done, then I don't see Avenue B service returning, and Lower East Side service would remain as is.

Let's kill Operations Planning's notion that noone tells them how to plan.

Edited by dkupf

But the M12 would only go as far south as Spring St.

My proposal, formally submitted to the MTA last year, would satisfy community concerns without unneccessary duplication of services.  Yes, there would be two services via 9th Ave, but the M11 and the rerouted M20 serve different markets.  So, I wouldn't consider these services duplicative.

The most important thing to do first is to close service gaps, not add layers of service, which would be a waste of our tax dollars.

The M1 south of the Cooper Union should be restored all times except nights.  And, there should also be a route that traverses Greenwich St.  In order to do this, the M5 would have to be cut back to Houston St, and the M6 would be restored.  The new M6 would operate northbound via 6th Ave, but southbound via 7th Av, 7th Ave South, West Broadway, Worth St, and Broadway to South Ferry.  The M20 southbound would then be shifted to 9th Ave, Hudson St, Bethune St, Greenwich St, Chambers St, then back to its current routing to South Ferry.

M9 service via Avenue B should also be restored.  There should also be a route that traverses Avenue C/Pitt St.  An extended M22 would be the likely choice (Cherry St Loop would be maintained).  The only drawback is that Pitt St would have to become a two-way street.  In order to do this, street parking would have to be removed from one side of the street.  If this can't be done, then I don't see Avenue B service returning, and Lower East Side service would remain as is.

Let's kill Operations Planning's notion that noone tells them how to plan.

Your *movement* on this forum in parroting yourself with the opening & closing statements in the separate borough idea threads is noble, but for the money they make, no one should have to tell them how to plan....

What is this about OP claiming that no one tells them as such now?

Embarrassing that someone came out their mouth/fingers & stated that nonsense.....

As far as the plan or whatever, someone else before on this forum made the exact same suggestion as far as Pitt st goes; think it was AEMoreira..... Anyway, DOT will turn 2 way streets into one to accommodate large vehicles, but I don't think they'll turn a 1 way street into a 2 way street for the same cause.....

Edited by B35 via Church

...but for the money they make, no one should have to tell them how to plan....

...As far as the plan or whatever, someone else before on this forum made the exact same suggestion as far as Pitt st goes; think it was AEMoreira..... Anyway, DOT will turn 2 way streets into one to accommodate large vehicles, but I don't think they'll turn a 1 way street into a 2 way street for the same cause.....

The service planners deserve to be critiqued if they refuse to close service gaps, make service more difficult for the public, and refuse to analyze comprehensive service changes objectively.

On January 13, 2010, I made a presentation to Manhattan Community Board 3's Transportation & Public Safety / Environment Committee to bring forth my plan to merge the M22 with Avenue C service as a counterproposal to NYCT's then-proposed M9/M21 changes.  During the Q & A part of my presentation, I mentioned that Pitt Street would have to become a two-way street.  The Committee was warm to the idea, but they refused to put this idea, as well as my counterproposal, to a vote, as that they demanded that the Cherry St Loop be included.

NYCT's M9/M21 changes went through anyway.  And the Lower East Side service gap remains.

The service planners deserve to be critiqued if they refuse to close service gaps, make service more difficult for the public, and refuse to analyze comprehensive service changes objectively.

What is this now....

When I say "no one should have to tell them how to plan", I'm not implicating they don't deserve to be critiqued....

As far as I'm concerned, you're preaching to the choir with this....

• 2 weeks later...

It's useless it's a dead horse just extend M15-SBS to gwb via Harlem river Dr and add a bus lane to Harlem river drive. M98 is finished put it out it's misery. M15 local unaffected. Add stops at metro north and lex

It's useless it's a dead horse just extend M15-SBS to gwb via Harlem river Dr and add a bus lane to Harlem river drive. M98 is finished put it out it's misery. M15 local unaffected. Add stops at metro north and lex

Impossible dood, totally impossible...

Besides, M98 is used, but it should return to 34th st. However the MTA is unlikely to do so...

Edited by Missabassi

It'd be hell at rush.

for those who drive that is. If separated along with widening it can work but with M98 so dead M15SBS is basically the only way to revive ridership with rush hr short turns it can salvage whatever is left. M98 is a dead horse MTA destroyed it beyond repair. Plus Harlem river isn't always  jammed. Rush short turns starting at 126th southward would retain M15-SBS reliability not including local trips.

The M15 already is a long clusterf**k route, do we really need to increase the plethora of problems on it.

Well not before adding a  full busway to 1st ave besides at rush hour it would be selected trips whilst adding more to offset the issues.

The M15 already is a long clusterf**k route, do we really need to increase the plethora of problems on it.

M5 is worse but I see your point.