Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to say it (and large in part, it's thanks to the MTA's neglect), but if it aint about the subway down in that part of brooklyn, it's all about the personal vehicle; especially when you get around the upper 60's & basically all of the 70's (streets)......

Yes, the car ownership rate is high, but so is bus usage. Except for the B4 and perhaps the B64, the other routes in the area do quite well ridership wise. i.e. B1, B6, B8, B9, and B82. There are plenty of households either without a car, or the breadwinner is using it to get to work, leaving the spouse and children transit dependent during the day.

Thought I'd map this out. B44 local moves to B44 SBS route, B49 runs on Bedford in both directions between Foster and Dean, and new B40 to provide service on NY/Marcy Aves and Nostrand.

Yeah, yeah, it's not well thought out, but you get the point, a B40. Probably a better idea to have it run down Nostrand southbound for the entire route and not half.

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=202807188220210378870.0004ec5b658de8ba24022&msa=0&ll=40.665752,-73.949002&spn=0.084115,0.176296

Are you lacking in mental capacity... You say this crap after you already responded to that same post a day ago....

^^ I haven't said a god damn thing to you since you said this.... 

Now here you are today starting shit back up again for no other reason because TransitKid had a laugh at my convenience & your expense... And then asking me to "just stop already" because of it, What kind of an idiot are you.....

Go somewhere with these trolling ass posts you've been on here doing as of late.... You barely even make rebuttals to anything anymore....

And don't cry wolf this time because you brought this all on yourself.

I didn't reply to this yesterday b/c BrooklynBus already beat me to it (as far as lack of demand)....

But to try to steer this thread back on track & away from the nonsense.... Not too long ago, BreedDekalb had an idea that involved extending the B23 to KCH, and I told him that you'd only elongate the problems the old route had.... Well, the same holds true for what's being inquired here - just that it's being done on the opposite end.... Worse than that, I think an extension of the B23 under the (D) would yield less riders than a northward extension of the route.... I hate to say it (and large in part, it's thanks to the MTA's neglect), but if it aint about the subway down in that part of brooklyn, it's all about the personal vehicle; especially when you get around the upper 60's & basically all of the 70's (streets)......

I wouldn't say it's all about that personal vehicle, bu rather more like service is so meh that people would rather hoof it or bike to the D, N, or F (depending on where one is).

In Eastern Queens, most people would rather drive than walk to a supermarket. I think that's a reasonable line to draw when it comes to establishing what is car country and what isn't, and that part of Brooklyn isn't quite there yet. (I'm surprised many of them hoof it for fifteen or twenty minutes to get to the train, but whatever floats their boat.)

Thought I'd map this out. B44 local moves to B44 SBS route, B49 runs on Bedford in both directions between Foster and Dean, and new B40 to provide service on NY/Marcy Aves and Nostrand.

Yeah, yeah, it's not well thought out, but you get the point, a B40. Probably a better idea to have it run down Nostrand southbound for the entire route and not half.

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=202807188220210378870.0004ec5b658de8ba24022&msa=0&ll=40.665752,-73.949002&spn=0.084115,0.176296

Isn't that block of Lincoln Road one-way in the wrong direction?

Yes, the car ownership rate is high, but so is bus usage. Except for the B4 and perhaps the B64, the other routes in the area do quite well ridership wise. i.e. B1, B6, B8, B9, and B82. There are plenty of households either without a car, or the breadwinner is using it to get to work, leaving the spouse and children transit dependent during the day

I wouldn't say it's all about that personal vehicle, but rather more like service is so meh that people would rather hoof it or bike to the D, N, or F (depending on where one is).

In Eastern Queens, most people would rather drive than walk to a supermarket. I think that's a reasonable line to draw when it comes to establishing what is car country and what isn't, and that part of Brooklyn isn't quite there yet. (I'm surprised many of them hoof it for fifteen or twenty minutes to get to the train, but whatever floats their boat.)

Wow... Alright you two.....

The point is, the bus network flat out sucks down there where AroundTheHorn inquired about sending the B23 - to the point where those patrons have (and have gotten used) to flock to the (D), or crank up the personal vehicle to get to where they have to go.... These aren't folks that's gonna look to take the bus along New Utrecht for a reverted & extended 23...

All this about everybody doesn't have a car, or it's not all (and emphasizing the all) about the personal vehicle (as if I didn't primarily mention the subway before that statement), come on with that....

- BrooklynBus, thanks for proving my point by mentioning the B4.... What other route runs around the (D), that are "around the upper 60's & basically all of the 70's (streets)......"? Sure as hell isn't the B1, B6, B8, B9, and B82....

- BobtehPanda, flat out, I'm not gonna get into a pissing contest as to what's comparable in what way to Eastern Queens, because quite frankly, it's irrelevant.....

Should Ulmer Park close down? That's if they keep mismanaging thier routes?

a] Which route(s) do you deem that they're mismanaging?, and.....

b] Where would you even house these route(s)?

Are you lacking in mental capacity... You say this crap after you already responded to that same post a day ago....

^^ I haven't said a god damn thing to you since you said this.... 

Now here you are today starting shit back up again for no other reason because TransitKid had a laugh at my convenience & your expense... And then asking me to "just stop already" because of it, What kind of an idiot are you.....

Go somewhere with these trolling ass posts you've been on here doing as of late.... You barely even make rebuttals to anything anymore....

And don't cry wolf this time because you brought this all on yourself.

I didn't reply to this yesterday b/c BrooklynBus already beat me to it (as far as lack of demand)....

But to try to steer this thread back on track & away from the nonsense.... Not too long ago, BreedDekalb had an idea that involved extending the B23 to KCH, and I told him that you'd only elongate the problems the old route had.... Well, the same holds true for what's being inquired here - just that it's being done on the opposite end.... Worse than that, I think an extension of the B23 under the (D) would yield less riders than a northward extension of the route.... I hate to say it (and large in part, it's thanks to the MTA's neglect), but if it aint about the subway down in that part of brooklyn, it's all about the personal vehicle; especially when you get around the upper 60's & basically all of the 70's (streets)......

Wow you're good. Carry on whilst I eat popcorn.

Okay... In a half assed attempt to bring the thread back on topic, a new proposal.

The interlining/integrating of the :bus_bullet_b24: & :bus_bullet_b39: .

The main benefits of the proposal would be a minimal amount of savings for Grand Avenue and a connection to the LES for riders not wanting to put up with the (J) / (Z) .

Any further opinion?

Okay... In a half assed attempt to bring the thread back on topic, a new proposal.

The interlining/integrating of the :bus_bullet_b24: & :bus_bullet_b39: .

The main benefits of the proposal would be a minimal amount of savings for Grand Avenue and a connection to the LES for riders not wanting to put up with the (J) / (Z) .

Any further opinion?

I believe this has been discussed before. I don't think there will ever be a 3 borough local route...

I have a proposal about an airport route

I would have a route that would start in Manhattan Beach and go to the airport. It stops would be:

KCC/Oriental Blvd, Oriental Blvd/West end ave, Emmons ave/opposite of Bay Academy, Ocean ave/Shore pkwy, Ocean ave/Ave Z, Ocean Ave/Ave U, Ocean Ave/Kings HWY, Kings HWY/Nostrand, Kings HWY/ Flatbush, Flatbush/Ave R, Flatbush/Ave U, then express to JFK.

With this route I would have dedicated bus lanes along Ocean Ave and Flatbush ave. The headways would be every 7 minutes from Ocean ave and Kings HWY while every 4th bus would go to/originate in Manhattan Beach.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk now Free

I have a proposal about an airport route

I would have a route that would start in Manhattan Beach and go to the airport. It stops would be:

KCC/Oriental Blvd, Oriental Blvd/West end ave, Emmons ave/opposite of Bay Academy, Ocean ave/Shore pkwy, Ocean ave/Ave Z, Ocean Ave/Ave U, Ocean Ave/Kings HWY, Kings HWY/Nostrand, Kings HWY/ Flatbush, Flatbush/Ave R, Flatbush/Ave U, then express to JFK.

With this route I would have dedicated bus lanes along Ocean Ave and Flatbush ave. The headways would be every 7 minutes from Ocean ave and Kings HWY while every 4th bus would go to/originate in Manhattan Beach.

This route serves such a relatively small area: Manhattan Beach, Sheepshead Bay, the edge of Midwood, Marine Park and that's it. Where will all the ridership for 7 min headways come from? It doesn't even serve any subway stations. If every 4th bus will actually be running down Ocean Av, why would you need a bus lane? We shouldn't just be throwing out bus lanes everywhere. Also, the route going up to Kings Hwy just to come back down seems awfully inefficient. And why pick Manhattan Beach as a starting point?

Were there to be a second Brooklyn-JFK route, I think it should run along Kings Hwy or near the Junction (Flatbush/Nostrand) or some busy corridor where it can get a lot of transfers. Its headways probably wouldn't be too low either.

Edited by Mysterious2train

This route serves such a relatively small area: Manhattan Beach, Sheepshead Bay, the edge of Midwood, Marine Park and that's it. Where will all the ridership for 7 min headways come from? It doesn't even serve any subway stations. If every 4th bus will actually be running down Ocean Av, why would you need a bus lane? We shouldn't just be throwing out bus lanes everywhere. Also, the route going up to Kings Hwy just to come back down seems awfully inefficient. And why pick Manhattan Beach as a starting point?

Were there to be a second Brooklyn-JFK route, I think it should run along Kings Hwy or near the Junction (Flatbush/Nostrand) or some busy corridor where it can get a lot of transfers. Its headways probably wouldn't be too low either.

The point of having it start in Manhattan beach is to accommodate those transferring from the b1 (possible staten island riders and those coming from coney island) it would also be killing two birds with one stone because if the schedule is created well it would supplement KCC riders. I agree about the junction, I haven't thought of adding a stop there

Edit: I would reroute up to av j where it would merge with the 6 adding a stop on ocean and j, Bedford and j and junction then regular stops as mentioned before

Further edit: I would have the buses (every one except the one towards Manhattan beach terminate w/ the 2/31 at kings highway station

Brooklynbus and Nyctransitman floated this idea, but I'm willing to see it through.

As most of you know, the service planners have been wanting to discontinue B20 Fresh Pond service for years but couldn't think of alternatives to mitigate the expected burden on riders.

Here's what the two suggested:

B20 - Cut back northern terminus to Broadway-Van Sinderen Ave.

B7 - Extend via Halsey St, Wyckoff Ave, and the current B20 routing to 67 Ave-Forest Ave.

B26 - Operate every other bus during most hours, but not the Weekday AM Peak, to Broadway-Halsey St.

Bus requirements would be less than today, e.g. 4 less during the Weekday AM Peak and weekday midday, while increasing the mobility for central Brooklyn riders.  A win-win situation for both parties.

Yes, there will be some losers, but many more would benefit.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure we had this discussion about sending the B7 further up north when it first got transferred to Fresh Pond. All it would do is just make the B7 even more longer and unreliable, and force B26 riders into a 2 seat commute if they going past Broadway. You'll be surprised how crowded the B26 gets during the day, and how many people take it from downtown Brooklyn up into Bushwick

It's okay that the M5 could operate from the GWB Bus Terminal all the way to South Ferry, but not okay to extend the B7 to Fresh Pond?  Sorry, but that logic doesn't fly with me.

The B26 would still operate to Ridgewood Terminal.  Just every other trip during most hours, except the Weekday AM Peak, would operate to/from Bway-Halsey St.  In fact, with the addition of the B7 extension, there would actually be the same or more bus service on Halsey St east of Bway during most hours.

And, as that the B7 extension would serve as a partial replacement of B20 Fresh Pond service, it would be, overall, less expensive to operate.  A win-win situation!