What would be a fix for some fare beating people

Abba

Guest Lance

No because they're supposed to be used in case of an emergency, like an evacuation. That's why they're called emergency gates. Said gates are also used by disabled patrons or people with carts, strollers, or anything that fits the category of not being able to fit through the turnstiles or HEETs.

The best idea is to have it locked at all times except during an emergency when the lock will unpin itself and allow people to open the door. People abuse it too much.

Well I don't know if they have much of a choice but to install them and keep them because of an incident where the police couldn't reach someone on the platform that was in need of help.

Wherein lies the problem. What is an "emergency"? Absolutely a large scale emergency is stated as such, but what if just someone needs medical attention on the platform or on the train and they gotta bring a stretcher down there, and also how exactly are those strollers and wheelchairs gettin through? Can it be a simple as having 468 stations covered by round the clock (468 x 3 + those stations that have more than one entrance) cops doing shifts, similar to those in the booths at the entrance to river tubes for anti-terror purposes. That would also cover other quality of life issues at the turnstyle, such as panhandling and purchasing swipes. While u can make a case for it, the other issue comes from where the money comes from for THAT type of committment, as the feds may not consider that worthy of terror money since they don't have any other anti-terror activities (like bag searches, etc)

I've always felt those push bar/alarms added on to those gates was a huge waste of money. What's the point of them as people still pushes the gates and the alarm goes off to the point of the alarms being shut off or malfunctioning? They would've been better off not bothering installing them.

As for cops at every station, I've always wondered why they aren't at every platform. The thing is they have like 20+ in Penn station or major stations, but they can't spread them out for the lesser stations? If they really were to combat terrorism, you'd think they'd have at least 2 cops stationed at each stop. Basically "don't put all your eggs in one basket".

I've always felt those push bar/alarms added on to those gates was a huge waste of money. What's the point of them as people still pushes the gates and the alarm goes off to the point of the alarms being shut off or malfunctioning? They would've been better off not bothering installing them.

I agree with you on that it was a huge waste of money,cause they lose money with it.

Well for start, I feel there is more then enough fare enforcement going on in the Subway compared to the Bus. Hopefully this gets fixed.

I suggest more under cover officers and/or fare enforcement officers. When the money is found of course.

Other fixes:

-Get rid of the damn EM Gate bar. Waste of money and maintenance.People are abusing it all the time. If an emergency were to arise, then rather have an EM box around to contact the S/A to unlock the doors. Too many fare beaters using them. Some folks are damn slow. They see empty turnstiles and they still exit using the bars. Maybe at CERTAIN spots these can be placed, such as where the S/A has control of it, but thats about it.

-Replace the so called "Universal entry key". There are some folks who have these keys on them, and the MTA isn't doing anything to put a STOP to it. All they are doing is just the plain old enforcement which happens rarely.

-Bus Drivers should not open the back door at major stops. I know there are SOME who do this, but I suggest drivers should do this to ease fare evasion. It may not stop people from bypassing the front, but the other doors yes. People may get angry, but let them. They gotta realize that the MTA is loosing money off these beaters

-Boost up the fine and possible put in jail time. For someone whos first time beated the fare, just fine them the regular $100 bucks. If a record is found of passed evasion, raise it up to the max $500, and if it becomes an issue, turn it into a warrant.

Some tourists with luggage they only know how to use subway turnstile, but not the EM gate.

For example, S/A agents can be really be pain at Junction Blvd Elevator Overpass.

When my friend from Japan was going back to JFK Airport with two suitcases, I went to see if gate was open, but it was locked, so I pressed intercom to open the gate, which female agent answered.

I swiped his MetroCard and turn the HEET and she still REFUSED because I was standing and I told her I was not going in and he don't speak English, and she still REFUSES TO LET HIM IN.

Then spanish lady with stroller came and female agent still refuse, then confusion with people trying to come out got stuck and mother told her, "OPEN THE GATE. I HAVE TO GET TO URGENT HOSPITAL."

Right after the she finally opened the EM gates. After I only help bring his suitcase to platform, I exit via stairs and took pic of booth number and reported to both MTA and Greg Mocker.

It took us 20 minutes.

That's reason I don't want EM Gates to lock.

Some tourists with luggage they only know how to use subway turnstile, but not the EM gate.

For example, S/A agents can be really be pain at Junction Blvd Elevator Overpass.

When my friend from Japan was going back to JFK Airport with two suitcases, I went to see if gate was open, but it was locked, so I pressed intercom to open the gate, which female agent answered.

I swiped his MetroCard and turn the HEET and she still REFUSED because I was standing and I told her I was not going in and he don't speak English, and she still REFUSES TO LET HIM IN.

Then spanish lady with stroller came and female agent still refuse, then confusion with people trying to come out got stuck and mother told her, "OPEN THE GATE. I HAVE TO GET TO URGENT HOSPITAL."

Right after the she finally opened the EM gates. After I only help bring his suitcase to platform, I exit via stairs and took pic of booth number and reported to both MTA and Greg Mocker.

It took us 20 minutes.

That's reason I don't want EM Gates to lock.

Not to drift off-topic, but if the mother had an emergency to rush to the hospital, I'd assume that taking the subway would be the worst idea.

I always wondered why there are cops in many train stations, but people still get away with farebeating... For example, Union Square has many cops in it, as it is a big station, but there are still many ways to farebeat (Any exit near Whole Foods). If there are so many cops, why not put them at EVERY exit/entrance? Im sure there are enough police for that to be possible.

Here's what will fix the problem: Put military personal at every turnstile. Now that's a definite fix to the problem-- the American way!

"Hey, I see you over there! Don't even think of hopping it or I'll blast you to hell with this AK-47."

"Hey, I see you over there! Don't even think of hopping it or I'll blast you to hell with this AK-47."

Holy... I saw two or three of them at 33rd Street PATH station and I got away with ducking under to catch my JSQ train. Don't ask, I'm 10 years old!

Not to drift off-topic, but if the mother had an emergency to rush to the hospital, I'd assume that taking the subway would be the worst idea.

lmao.....

Bus Drivers should not open the back door at major stops. I know there are SOME who do this, but I suggest drivers should do this to ease fare evasion. It may not stop people from bypassing the front, but the other doors yes. People may get angry, but let them. They gotta realize that the MTA is loosing money off these beaters

Yup, Same thing I pointed out in that thread about that councilman advocating farebeating...

When they first put em on there, I thought that siren meant that the police/EMT's/fire squad were immediately on their way to that station...

When I realized that wasn't the case, I'm like wth even have these sirens - especially at the sides of platforms where there's an S/A present....

lmao.....

When they first put em on there, I thought that siren meant that the police/EMT's/fire squad were immediately on their way to that station...

When I realized that wasn't the case, I'm like wth even have these sirens - especially at the sides of platforms where there's an S/A present....

True. Sirens=

S/A!S/A! Somebody's leaving!

Gotta agree with you about the alarms. I used to live near 135th St, and for god knows what reason, every so often at about 3 AM or so somebody used the gate. And I always heard it. And I don't mean like across the street from it or something, I mean a few blocks and an avenue away. And I still heard them.

Gotta agree with you about the alarms. I used to live near 135th St, and for god knows what reason, every so often at about 3 AM or so somebody used the gate. And I always heard it. And I don't mean like across the street from it or something, I mean a few blocks and an avenue away. And I still heard them.

Odd, I live 2 blocks from my subway station and the gate is frequently used at night and I barely hear them.

Archived