Congestion pricing and how it will benefit bus service.

Threxx

The basic premise is that congestion pricing would bring in more revenue to the MTA. There'd be tolls on the Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Williamsburg Bridges for starters, and that alone would generate a huge amount of money. There are various plans at the moment, but the general idea is that you put tolls on those bridges, probably around $7.00. That brings in a substantial amount of money, and that's enough to plug the MTA deficit (the math works out) and move towards restoring some cut services (and paying for the Capital Plan, which basically ends and runs out of money around 2015). It's a good plan and I've been into the concept for ages, the tolls are barely even congestion pricing, just basically re-thinking tolls. And until Albany gives the MTA money, it's a viable solution.

Guest Lance

What? You don't believe that the money collected from the tolls would actually go to where they're supposed to? I can't imagine why. :D

Not this again. The plan sounds nice on paper, but the practical reality is that it would lead to higher prices in the city (from increased cost of delivery), a small number of people shifting to the subways (which are at capacity at rush hour already from Queens and Brooklyn), and possibly more buses on the road, which does not really solve anything.

Not this again. The plan sounds nice on paper, but the practical reality is that it would lead to higher prices in the city (from increased cost of delivery), a small number of people shifting to the subways (which are at capacity at rush hour already from Queens and Brooklyn), and possibly more buses on the road, which does not really solve anything.

I mean, something needs to make the money that the MTA isn't getting right now. Governor's decided he's not touching taxes, and the rest of the state is barely making ends meet. The current capital plan just about stops in 2015 when the funds dry up...so what's next?

They would never use money from congestion pricing to improve bus service because if the MTA had their way they would get out of the bus business all together. The money would go to the MTA capital plan and perhaps to buy new buses or rebuild depots but not for service. The MTA would still insist on cost neutrality for changes because they were still doing that in the few years the MTA had a surplus. Also, Albany will reduce what it spends on mass transit once congestion pricing is in place so the additional amounts won't be as great as you think. Then the MTA will allocate too much of it to the rails, shortchanging the subways, just like they did when they were able to shift the toll money from the TBTA facilities to mass transit.

Don't believe everything he politicians tell you. How many times have we voted for bond issues for the Second Avenue Subway? At least three? And where is it? Asking for and getting congestion pricing will be no different. it will be a disappointment because the young people are just too naive.

sad but ppl along LIRR AND MNRR are envious of nyc's transit system

Well, they aren't too fond of the NYCT system in the Bronx and portions of Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens, rather they like the Subways and Express Buses more. Pretty much everyone could understand why...

Will adding tolls on the Manhattan Bridge and Queensborough Bridge make traffic on Flatbush Avenue and Queens Blvd worse?!

LOL, pretty much people will drive to Queens and Brooklyn, park in these boroughs and travel to Manhattan via Subway or Express Bus. The streets would be congested and the parking lots would be full. And pretty much no transit would be improved and rather our grocery and petro prices would rise plenty in Geographical Long Island [brooklyn, Queens, Nassau and Suffolk]. I'd be moving to New Jersey.

LOL, pretty much people will drive to Queens and Brooklyn, park in these boroughs and travel to Manhattan via Subway or Express Bus. The streets would be congested and the parking lots would be full. And pretty much no transit would be improved and rather our grocery and petro prices would rise plenty in Geographical Long Island [brooklyn, Queens, Nassau and Suffolk]. I'd be moving to New Jersey.

I mean that's just not true at all. It's just a toll. Did Jerseyites stop coming into the city when the tolls on the Holland Tunnel got jacked up? Unfortunately not. [just joking...] But it's a toll, it's not the end of the world, and its main effect would be encouraging (heck, almost forcing) people to use transit and not drive, and that combined with the revenue from the tolls would help the MTA out a whole lot.

I mean that's just not true at all. It's just a toll. Did Jerseyites stop coming into the city when the tolls on the Holland Tunnel got jacked up? Unfortunately not. [just joking...] But it's a toll, it's not the end of the world, and its main effect would be encouraging (heck, almost forcing) people to use transit and not drive, and that combined with the revenue from the tolls would help the MTA out a whole lot.

oh i love that line "force people to" how about this, lets force the mta and our elected politicians to STOP WASTING OUR MONEY, and live whithin its means. We have to, why cant they?

Joe

Someone please tell me how the heck they're going to manage to set up toll booths without making traffic congestion exponentially worse? If people are willing to spend a lot of money on gas to get into the city already, an extra toll won't stop them from driving; they'll just hate the city even more.

Someone please tell me how the heck they're going to manage to set up toll booths without making traffic congestion exponentially worse? If people are willing to spend a lot of money on gas to get into the city already, an extra toll won't stop them from driving; they'll just hate the city even more.

They can do boothless tolling, like on the Henry Hudson Bridge.

They can do boothless tolling, like on the Henry Hudson Bridge.

How exactly do those work anyways? Do they scan the license plates of the cars and automatically send them the bill for the toll? Traffic on the avenues in Manhattan is pretty tight, and a big truck could easily block part of or the entirety of the license plate of the car behind it, or cars can sometimes drive close enough to each other which could also skew it up.

The problem with Congestion pricing is it will raise prices for literally everything in Manhattan.

And the New Jersey example doesn't hold water. There was never a toll-less option to cross the Hudson River.

Frankly, it doesn't matter what people think of the city as long as they pay.

LOL, Jerseyites actually help NYC's economy, and really there is no way to avoid tolls unless if you travel all the way up to Albany to get to New England or what not. And really it's in the hands of the corrupt Port Authority of New York & New Jersey. And help the (MTA)? Please! It's gonna be stuffed into the pockets of the big-wigs and those long delayed constructions. Our pockets would get raped more by our fine money wasting government and it's agencies.

Archived