MTA Mulls restoring Service Cuts??? *Subway Comments Only Please*

RTOMan

No it wasn't. The (J) idea was brought up by some foamer which spray painted a sign outside a station on the Jamaica Avenue Line.

Fourth Avenue Line riders are looking to get to Midtown Manhattan which I have had pointed out a billion times. How would the (J), (Z), or an <R> help anyone on that line? They run nowhere near Midtown Manhattan, and doesn't achieve what the ridership demands. How would the (J) or (Z) help anyone? It won't. The trains would be just as empty as the old (M) was. It doesn't do anything to help people.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't matter what train goes downthere, as long as the R is getting help from another line on 4th ave besides another broadway line, the J idea was brought up in the TA

What are you talking about? People aren't going to get on a train that doesn't go where they want to go.

No it wasn't. The (J) idea was brought up by some foamer which spray painted a sign outside a station on the Jamaica Avenue Line.

No, I don't think a "foamer" painted the sign. I thought it was there from back when the (M) ran there.

Why would a foamer spray paint 8 Car R160 on a damn wall, Thats been there for 5 years, they were re-spraying the paint on the walls, the C/R boards are still there

Like i said before Most people who tak the local change for the express at atlantic ave, and LIKE I SAID BEFORE there wouldn't be enough cars for a (W) train to go to 9th ave or Bay Parkway

We All Know No One wants a train to lower manhattan but if they go foward with that plan then oh well, You Just want to see the (W) go back to its Pre 2004 form, and that my freind will not work, rerember the cause of the subway cuts were because of the R44 retirement

Heres a breakdown on how many extra Subway cars are left

R32: there are 222 in passenger service, 10 are used for garbage and work duty, 8 are stored in Queens (fresh pond yard) 2 pairs are lying around somewhere so that totals to 244 cars on Property, 144 out of 222 are used on the (A) (summertime) and the (C) other times while the rest are spares or going though the SMS program, Once the SMS on the R32's are complete the (C) R32 spare factor would be reduced as the R32's are improoving

R42: there are 46 R42's in active service, 12 of them are stored in brooklyn (CI yard) while a pair derailed 2 months ago in ENY yard (4838/9) normaly ENY uses 3 trainsets 24 cars out of the 46 cars, once everything is back to normal they would use about 32 cars out of the 46 46+12= 58 cars that can run, the 12 cars were taken OOS in December of 2009

so you have 80 extra R32's that sit around as spares plus the 10 cars that are at 38th st yard and the 8 cars that are at Fresh pond yard so that totals to about 98 extra R32's all together thats 9 trainsets plus 8 cars for spares then you have the extra R42's lying around, so theres more than enough cars for a (J) extention, As for the (W) the (Q) has most of the surplus cars that left the (W) along with the (N) the (W) used about 14 trainsets all together 2004-10.

Hopefully weekend/overnight Bx34 bus service will be restored...

On the subway side, methinks the (W) will eventually return (though I'd say restoration of 8-min weekend headways on the lettered lines is more prudent, given continued subway ridership increases and resulting crowding...)

They're going to have to restore the (W) sometime in the future, so the (Q) can run on Second Ave.

As for the (V), I'm very happy with (M) going to Midtown & Queens Boulevard, but we do need a second service on 4 Ave, *cough, (J) or (Z), cough*, during middays, or at least rush hours.

I don't want to see the (W) in it's 2004 form. Riders here want Midtown Manhattan and the (J) or (Z) idea is just a bad one.

Theres not enough cars for the (W) to go on the west end, look at what I wrote on how many subway cars there is, if they Used the surplus of SMEE's that don't run on the extended (W) , there wouldn't be enough spares for the B divsion, like i said and everyone else if the (W) comes back its ending at whitehall, the (W) benifets the Astora and Midtown passengers, there won't be enough to benifit 4th ave riders thats WHY the (J) was brought up, people CAN still get to midtown by waiting for the (D)/(N) trains at atlantic ave, thts the whole ponit of this, people are still gonna get off at atlantic to cacth the (D)/(N) trains regardless to get to midtown since they both go on the bridge

Theres not enough cars for the (W) to go on the west end, look at what I wrote on how many subway cars there is, if they Used the surplus of SMEE's that don't run on the extended (W) , there wouldn't be enough spares for the B divsion, like i said and everyone else if the (W) comes back its ending at whitehall, the (W) benifets the Astora and Midtown passengers, there won't be enough to benifit 4th ave riders thats WHY the (J) was brought up, people CAN still get to midtown by waiting for the (D)/(N) trains at atlantic ave, thts the whole ponit of this, people are still gonna get off at atlantic to cacth the (D)/(N) trains regardless to get to midtown since they both go on the bridge

It's still possible to bring in extra sets. Plus the (Q) is getting R179's due to it's extension to Second Avenue. It brings a lot more available cars to the (W).

thats is gonna be in 2016, and the R179's are for the (C), if service was brought back, it would take place in the winter time (next year), when the (Q) goes to 96th st then the (W) would be heading back to astoria, but lets hope its back before 2016

R32 3838 a question which you not addressed in advocating the (J) extension. What happens when it delayed? Remember for much of the Jamaica Ave/Nassau line there no "express tracks" to send delayed trains. At least the (R) for much of the route can use the Manhattan Bridge, QB and 4th Ave/Bway tracks. Not to mention ticking off Jamaica Ave riders.

R32 3838 a question which you not addressed in advocating the (J) extension. What happens when it delayed? Remember for much of the Jamaica Ave/Nassau line there no "express tracks" to send delayed trains. At least the (R) for much of the route can use the Manhattan Bridge, QB and 4th Ave/Bway tracks. Not to mention ticking off Jamaica Ave riders.

And a potential (W) train as well.

It's best to leave out the R179 altogether, as the comment was based on the near future, and not after new cars have been delivered. Remember when the (W) ran, more car equipment classes were around then, but nowadays there are fewer. The idea of increased service revolves around not laying up as many trains in the late AM or PM rush (the rush hour is already at or near capacity), but leaving them out there longer with higher frequency off-peak/weekend, and squeezing out a few more trains in rush hour im possible.

Other than the reduction of a few trains for the Manhattan portion from 57/7th to Whitehall, what is the real savings from the outright elimination of the (W)? (N) switching over at Prince St causes more delays than when it switched over at 34th. Also don't they still terminate some (Q) s at 57/7th?

Imo, I still think rather than the drastic cut of the (W), they could've made the (W) rush hours only and (N) local all times the (W) doesn't run. (Q) probably would not have needed to be changed at all unless they had to cover for the gaps in (N) service to Astoria.

Other than the reduction of a few trains for the Manhattan portion from 57/7th to Whitehall, what is the real savings from the outright elimination of the (W)? (N) switching over at Prince St causes more delays than when it switched over at 34th. Also don't they still terminate some (Q) s at 57/7th?

Imo, I still think rather than the drastic cut of the (W), they could've made the (W) rush hours only and (N) local all times the (W) doesn't run. (Q) probably would not have needed to be changed at all unless they had to cover for the gaps in (N) service to Astoria.

They do terminate (Q) and (N) trains at 57th Street, even at rush hour. It's not a lot, though. But I've seen quite a few.

Those are Rush Hour put ins. Those are the trains that lay up along 49 Street.

These are the same trains that used to lay up at G3/G4 Lex (other side of the wall at 63-Lex on the (F)) when the (Q) was only going up to 57th, but obviously those tracks up there are OoS now due to SAS, so now they put them there.

They do terminate (Q) and (N) trains at 57th Street, even at rush hour. It's not a lot, though. But I've seen quite a few.

Those are Rush Hour put ins. Those are the trains that lay up along 49 Street.

These are the same trains that used to lay up at G3/G4 Lex (other side of the wall at 63-Lex on the (F)) when the (Q) was only going up to 57th, but obviously those tracks up there are OoS now due to SAS, so now they put them there.

Thanks guys!

so you have 80 extra R32's that sit around as spares plus the 10 cars that are at 38th st yard and the 8 cars that are at Fresh pond yard so that totals to about 98 extra R32's all together thats 9 trainsets plus 8 cars for spares then you have the extra R42's lying around, so theres more than enough cars for a (J) extention, As for the (W) the (Q) has most of the surplus cars that left the (W) along with the (N) the (W) used about 14 trainsets all together 2004-10.

Can't they just assign those spare R32s to a resurrected W? And wouldn't the Q be cut back to 57th and 7th full time if the W comes back between now and 2016? Wouldn't that free up some R160s?

Archived