MTA Mulls restoring Service Cuts??? *Subway Comments Only Please*

RTOMan

I hate to be a cynic, but I think the MTA will focus more on increasing weekend headways and possible (C) train service on weeknights rather than reviving an entire line. As much as we miss the (W), and as much as it kept things running smoothly on the Broadway Line, the (W) was one of the original lines on the MTA 2010 chopping block. I could picture the MTA staving the (W) resurrection off until 2016.

The MTA has been releasing reports on the growth of weekend ridership since FastTrak began -- it would be bad PR if this weren't made a priority. With that said, does anyone know how much money the MTA saved when they axed the (W)? Are there enough funds to bring back the (W) after the increase in bus and subway weekend service?

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's something I overlooked too: the stealth cuts that were made on existing lines, like the (A) going from 7.5mins combined to 10min combined headways during the midday (that's from 15min to 20min headways at the outlying branch stations past Rockaway Blvd!) and the <7> being reduced to almost a rush-hour only line. Not to mention most of the B-division routes going from 8min to 10min headways during the weekend, among others.

Some of those R32's are retired or used as garbage motors,so they may never see revenue service.

Actuly they can comeback to service if they need the cars, the 10 cars that do work service replaced those Redbirds that were at 38th st yard, but they can bring those reds back to life (since they are stored) and have them return to work duty, if they plan to restore some subway service, they will have no choice but to bring those stored R32's including the one from Fresh Pond Back to service

Guest Lance

Aren't the 32s at Fresh Pond dead? I mean, every time I hear about it, it's being towed somewhere and then brought back. If it was in or near operational condition, wouldn't it make more sense to be at 207th Street with the rest of the cars, rather than be isolated from the rest of its fleet.

If they bring back the W train, I suggest it uses only R68/68As. Leave the N and Q 100% R160s. The W train should be extended to/from Bay Parkway via the Montague Street Tunnel, the BMT Fourth Avenue Line and BMT West End Line to replace the M train during rush hours (6:30 to 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 to 7:30 p.m.). Don't make it go the BMT Sea Beach Line, let that line be served by the N by itself. Other times, the W begins/terminates at Whitehall Street. The W operates weekdays only from 6:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. (with rush hour service to/from Brooklyn 6:30 to 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 to 7:30 p.m., midday service cut back to Whitehall from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and evening service to Whitehall as well from 7:30 to 11:30 p.m.).

332 out of the 424 R68s are in service at any give time and 160 out of the 200 R68As are in service at any given time. The four R68As in service on the G should be taken off for the W. The W can use 40 R68As and 88 R68s and even 128 spares of R46s. For the BMT Broadway Line's services, both the N and Q require 23 trains respectively, the R requires 29 trains, and the W train can require 32 trains. I agree with Roadcruiser1. It's not like the W is gonna serve the rest of the R's route to 95th Street, no need to increase intervals for the R. The Q goes back to 57th and use the crossover switches north of 57th not south (see NYCS track map at www.nycsubway.org) while the N can run fully express in Manhattan via 49th Street bypass and express tracks at 57th Street. Between 57th Street and 36th Street along the R and W is where Broadway/4 Avenue riders will get two trains arriving and leaving within 10 minutes which will be good enough in my opinion. At Lexington Avenue/59th Street and 5th Avenue is where Broadway riders will have the N, R, and W arriving and leaving (3 services) within 10 minutes. Many riders want access to Midtown Manhattan from West End and 4 Avenue Lines.

Actuly they can comeback to service if they need the cars, the 10 cars that do work service replaced those Redbirds that were at 38th st yard, but they can bring those reds back to life (since they are stored) and have them return to work duty, if they plan to restore some subway service, they will have no choice but to bring those stored R32's including the one from Fresh Pond Back to service

Most of those redbird cars that the R32's replaced didn't have A/C,they'll stay in work service.as for that train at Fresh Pond,it's dead so it won't be running again.when they moved that train to Fresh Pond,people in nearby houses complained about the noise the train was making so they had to cut the brake pipe.so there's no chance that train is moving on it's own power.

Aren't the 32s at Fresh Pond dead? I mean, every time I hear about it, it's being towed somewhere and then brought back. If it was in or near operational condition, wouldn't it make more sense to be at 207th Street with the rest of the cars, rather than be isolated from the rest of its fleet.

Yea,it's dead.last i heard it's at Fresh Pond because of there's not enough room at 207th St.

I have an idea: Restore the (W) and toy around with the headways so that the (N)(Q)(W) fit into Ditmars.

That's too much. Ditmars (two tracks) wouldn't be able to handle it. Queensboro Plaza might be able to do it, but I just can't simply see 4 lines using the Broadway line above 57th Street.

That's too much. Ditmars (two tracks) wouldn't be able to handle it. Queensboro Plaza might be able to do it, but I just can't simply see 4 lines using the Broadway line above 57th Street.

The point in restoring the W is so the Q doesn't have to operate to Ditmars.

I think the real problem is that you'd have the (N)(Q)(R)(W) all clogging up the 60 St tube. And, restoring the (W) while keeping the (Q) extension will cost the MTA $$$.

I think the real problem is that you'd have the (N)(Q)(R)(W) all clogging up the 60 St tube. And, restoring the (W) while keeping the (Q) extension will cost the MTA $$$.

I want to thank you, but:

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day.

I have an idea: Restore the (W) and toy around with the headways so that the (N)(Q)(W) fit into Ditmars.

What is the point of this? The (Q) is supposed to go up to 125th Street for the Second Avenue Subway, and your idea would jam the 60th Street Tunnel and the Astoria tracks. So no it won't happen.

Let alone three services at a two track terminal (which they never do anywhere, and it gets backed up with just the two services!)

Ah, yes, and that results in the Astoria Blvd wait: The terminal is full, trains at Astoria Blvd are held up, the C/O always announces that the station is full, and we have to wait for a train to come out. It always happens.

The dumbest idea I've ever heard in this forums. Seriously dude, did you even have any sense of what you just said? The section of the BMT Broadway between 57th Street and the connections to the BMT Astoria and IND Queens Boulevard lines is only two tracks. And it's kinda hard to tell if you were joking or not...No offense but think before you talk next time.

Okay, folks, now that we've already discussed what we want the MTA to do, what do people think that the MTA will actually do? Do you think that they're going to restore the (W)? Do you think that they will just focus on increasing off-peak frequencies? Or will they forget about increasing subway service and only restore bus service?

As much as I'd like to see the (W) return, I'm afraid that it isn't happening...

Archived