Here we go again: Wal-Mart looking to open shop in Queens

IntExp

Or they can get food at the game! :lol:

Yes, I know it's ridiculously overpriced...

That's why I didn't mention stadium food.... I omitted bringing that up on that purpose, for that very reason !

Well, a person can always take the (7) to flushing to get something to eat if they have an unlimited ride card.

That's the problem.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO i always felt a better place to place a Wal Mart in Queens was in the Long Island City area by or near 21st Street not far from the bridge and queensbridge. It mostly an industry zone. By opening a Wal Mart there it could develop LIC same as how Ikea did to Red Hook, Brooklyn.

With the Willets Point area by the junkyards, the only thing developed should be a few sportsbars, diners and hotels related for the Mets. The traffic in Citifield area can be busy even during non-game days and concerts. Just my views.

No other reactions to my wal mart comment above? Even if you dislike Wal Mart, LIC by 21st Street and the Bridge area makes alot of sense to bulid box stores like Wal Mart, Target etc. It happened in Philly about 10-15 years ago when a dead area in the city South Philly neighborhood near the old Naval Base area by the river was turned into a reborn area of box stores.

True, although I can't imagine that many people are going to want to wait until after the game to eat. Who knows...I'm hardly a stadium expert :lol:.

My lil bro & sis go to yankee games for the "game/live experience"... Me, I'm content w/ kickin back & watchin em on the ole 'tube....

I don't like the politics (if you wanna call it that; can't think of a better word) stadium owners play when it comes to (overcharging of) food prices..... The point you raise, oh they're well aware of that ! They know people are not gonna starve themselves for two-three hours, so fans are pretty much forced to buy their food..... This is (one, if not the main reason) why they don't allow food from the outside to enter the stadium.... certain movie theaters are also good for rejecting outside food......

With citifield, it's even worse b/c they know there aint jack schitt to eat before/after the games in that immediate area....

I was more referring to the folks that are still hungry around/after the time the game ends & what not.....

No other reactions to my wal mart comment above? Even if you dislike Wal Mart, LIC by 21st Street and the Bridge area makes alot of sense to bulid box stores like Wal Mart, Target etc.

Over there by the Queensbridge Houses ?

(that's why I didn't initially comment on that)

My lil bro & sis go to yankee games for the "game/live experience"... Me, I'm content w/ kickin back & watchin em on the ole 'tube....

I don't like the politics (if you wanna call it that; can't think of a better word) stadium owners play when it comes to (overcharging of) food prices..... The point you raise, oh they're well aware of that ! They know people are not gonna starve themselves for two-three hours, so they're pretty much forced to buy their food..... This is (one, if not the main reason) why they don't allow food from the outside to enter the stadium.... certain movie theaters are also good for rejecting outside food......

With citifield, it's even worse b/c they know there aint jack schitt to eat before/after the games in that immediate area....

I was more referring to the folks that are still hungry around/after the time the game ends & what not.....

I see. I completely agree with the above post...

I don't like the politics (if you wanna call it that; can't think of a better word) stadium owners play when it comes to (overcharging of) food prices..... The point you raise, oh they're well aware of that ! They know people are not gonna starve themselves for two-three hours, so fans are pretty much forced to buy their food..... This is (one, if not the main reason) why they don't allow food from the outside to enter the stadium.... certain movie theaters are also good for rejecting outside food......

Over there by the Queensbridge Houses ?

(that's why I didn't initially comment on that)

Kind of! I was thinking a broader area on the north the QB houses (by the bridge) with the east area being 21st and the west area being Vernon Blvd by the river. The southern end would be around Jackson Ave. I was thinking turning LIC into Philly's Columbus Blvd/Pier 37 area that could house several box stores.

All those auto shops remind me of Jerome ave... From about 167 to Burnside, A bunch of auto repair shops, tire fix shops, parts shop... ETC.... I don't go to Queens much but yeah, Too many auto shops around Citi field....

I agree with B35.... There is absolutely nothing to do in that area after the Mets play.... If you want something to eat afterwards, Go down Roosevelt ave or hell, down to College Point.... There should be a restaurant around Citi Field similar to how it's like that around Yankee Stadium...

Too many Walmarts in the tri state area. Besides I wonder if they are trying to take over the world or conquer the solar system. I wonder what's next, A Walmart on Mars and the Sun?!

But there are none in the city itself. People who live in the city are going to Jersey, Westchester, or Long Island to go to Walmart, and that's a lot of lost revenue for the city.

Too many Walmarts in the tri state area. Besides I wonder if they are trying to take over the world or conquer the solar system. I wonder what's next, A Walmart on Mars and the Sun?!

I live in Neptune and we have a Walmart here :o

But there are none in the city itself. People who live in the city are going to Jersey, Westchester, or Long Island to go to Walmart, and that's a lot of lost revenue for the city.

Yes lost revenue that won't go to the city lol.

And? China isn't allowed to make money, only the great United States of America is?

LOL... Great United States of America?? The Chinese middle class continues to grow, while the American one declines... At the expense of China... <_< And you complain about being so poor... Gee I wonder who is to blame for that...

LOL... Great United States of America?? The Chinese middle class continues to grow, while the American one declines... At the expense of China... <_< And you complain about being so poor... Gee I wonder who is to blame for that...

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Slow down buddy! In fact the Middle Class in every country is dying, even the Rich Middle Class (like what my family is considered in China) is now pulled into the Poor Group due to inflation. You need perhaps ten millions to hundred millions of Chinese Yuan to sustain that you are a Rich. The middle class isn't growing, in fact the iPhone you carry, the person or people whom built it can't buy it because of how poor they are, same for the Walmart goods. In fact if China's labor costs rises, more and more goods will come out of Thailand, Middle East and Africa instead of China, that will be very hard hitting for China and potentially the global economy. Don't look at Beijing, Shanghai and Hangzhou, look at cities like Taiyuan (where I am at now), Chengdu and Jinan and then get back to me.

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Slow down buddy! In fact the Middle Class in every country is dying, even the Rich Middle Class (like what my family is considered in China) is now pulled into the Poor Group due to inflation. You need perhaps ten millions to hundred millions of Chinese Yuan to sustain that you are a Rich. The middle class isn't growing, in fact the iPhone you carry, the person or people whom built it can't buy it because of how poor they are, same for the Walmart goods. In fact if China's labor costs rises, more and more goods will come out of Thailand, Middle East and Africa instead of China, that will be very hard hitting for China and potentially the global economy. Don't look at Beijing, Shanghai and Hangzhou, look at cities like Taiyuan (where I am at now), Chengdu and Jinan and then get back to me.

Just to be clear... I don't have an iPhone and never would buy one... Unlike some Americans, I do have morals and don't support slave labor. A company like Apple is another so called "American" company selling out the American people with their overpriced goods made by slave labor overseas. As for China, the economy is slowing down a bit yes, but you still have luxury stores popping up all over China, which is a sign of the country's growing wealth overall. Let me be clear in saying that other countries should prosper of course, but the way that China has done it has certainly not been through honesty. They've grown angry every time that the U.S. talks about getting tough on trade with them (even though trade between both countries is overwhelmingly lopsided in their favor) and enacting protectionist laws to protect American workers and American companies, but yet they can protect Chinese workers and Chinese companies. The pegging of the Chinese currency is yet another example of how they're not playing fair and worst of all, the way in which the government is allowing multinational companies (American and European alike) to go into China and literally destroy the country and the working folks (all in the name of low prices) sickens me because the actions that China takes affects all of us. Many simply think it's about low prices and saving money, but they really are uneducated on the long lasting affects that companies like Walmart have on the world globally, from the environment to them helping to sink wages globally as well. Walmart's reach is well beyond the market and its strive for low prices.

The one thing that I know has to annoy you as a person of Chinese descent for example is how the Chinese government is allowing these big multinational companies to come in and just dump waste all over the place. In fact the country isn't even equipped currently to handle all of the waste and garbage entering the country, so this is being dumped into rivers and other areas and just destroying communities all across the country, even in the chic cities like Shanghai and it is quite disturbing to me. When you see the destruction of the country and why it is happening you have to ask yourself if it is really worth it. I would rather pay a bit more or spend more time shopping around for deals if it means going to sleep at night with an easy conscience, which is exactly what I do.

In sum, I don't knock folks for living on a budget or looking for deals. What I knock them for is thinking that buying goods from places like Walmart that pray on the backs of innocent people just trying to earn a living is the right way to get low prices.

The kind of publicity that Walmart gets about its inhumane practices is exactly what consumers here and abroad need to be exposed to so that they can see that their purchasing actions are supporting... Something that I'm sure they wouldn't want imposed upon them.

Just to be clear... I don't have an iPhone and never would buy one... Unlike some Americans, I do have morals and don't support slave labor. A company like Apple is another so called "American" company selling out the American people with their overpriced goods made by slave labor overseas. As for China, the economy is slowing down a bit yes, but you still have luxury stores popping up all over China, which is a sign of the country's growing wealth overall. Let me be clear in saying that other countries should prosper of course, but the way that China has done it has certainly not been through honesty. They've grown angry every time that the U.S. talks about getting tough on trade with them (even though trade between both countries is overwhelmingly lopsided in their favor) and enacting protectionist laws to protect American workers and American companies, but yet they can protect Chinese workers and Chinese companies. The pegging of the Chinese currency is yet another example of how they're not playing fair and worst of all, the way in which the government is allowing multinational companies (American and European alike) to go into China and literally destroy the country and the working folks (all in the name of low prices) sickens me because the actions that China takes affects all of us. Many simply think it's about low prices and saving money, but they really are uneducated on the long lasting affects that companies like Walmart have on the world globally, from the environment to them helping to sink wages globally as well. Walmart's reach is well beyond the market and its strive for low prices.

The one thing that I know has to annoy you as a person of Chinese descent for example is how the Chinese government is allowing these big multinational companies to come in and just dump waste all over the place. In fact the country isn't even equipped currently to handle all of the waste and garbage entering the country, so this is being dumped into rivers and other areas and just destroying communities all across the country, even in the chic cities like Shanghai and it is quite disturbing to me. When you see the destruction of the country and why it is happening you have to ask yourself if it is really worth it. I would rather pay a bit more or spend more time shopping around for deals if it means going to sleep at night with an easy conscience, which is exactly what I do.

In sum, I don't knock folks for living on a budget or looking for deals. What I knock them for is thinking that buying goods from places like Walmart that pray on the backs of innocent people just trying to earn a living is the right way to get low prices.

The kind of publicity that Walmart gets about its inhumane practices is exactly what consumers here and abroad need to be exposed to so that they can see that their purchasing actions are supporting... Something that I'm sure they wouldn't want imposed upon them.

And for those who can't afford to shop anywhere else? If Walmart has the cheapest Milk in your county, you will go to Walmart if you can't afford to spend your money elsewhere. It's that simple. When your rich you can talk in platitudes about how you buy things for the greater good, but when your poor, everything is reduced to a dollar amount out of necessity. Fun activities, even if they're cheap and good for you emotionally, have to be weighed by how much they cost, which can really suck sometimes. You still haven't learned this, I guess.

And, FYI, the really poor people are not the ones buying iPhones; they can't afford one. The people who buy that stuff are the yuppies like you who have some cash in their jeans to blow on something "cool" and "hip" rather than something equally functional but at a lower price. The extra-financial factors matter to them. Low-income people don't have that privilege.

And for those who can't afford to shop anywhere else? If Walmart has the cheapest Milk in your county, you will go to Walmart if you can't afford to spend your money elsewhere. It's that simple. When your rich you can talk in platitudes about how you buy things for the greater good, but when your poor, everything is reduced to a dollar amount out of necessity. Fun activities, even if they're cheap and good for you emotionally, have to be weighed by how much they cost, which can really suck sometimes. You still haven't learned this, I guess.

And, FYI, the really poor people are not the ones buying iPhones; they can't afford one. The people who buy that stuff are the yuppies like you who have some cash in their jeans to blow on something "cool" and "hip" rather than something equally functional but at a lower price. The extra-financial factors matter to them. Low-income people don't have that privilege.

Well as I stated before, I DON'T own a iPhone, nor would I ever buy one or any Apple products unless perhaps they were American made. Yes I can afford it, but I refuse to have my money support slave labor. Also, we don't waste our money. I am quite responsible with my purchases and I don't overpay for goods that I buy. I shop around just like the average person does and I manage to get low priced goods that are American made, so this nonsense about poor folks not being able to afford goods that aren't made using slave labor is a cop out. I do something called "shopping" and shop around for the best prices. I'm sure your so called poor folks can do the same thing, but they're too lazy to do so, so they use the excuse that Walmart is so cheap and their prices are so good.

*facepalm*

This is futile.

You're making me want to become a economic liberal.

Yes, futile because you know what I'm saying is right. You make it sound like Walmart is the only place with low prices. Give me a break. If Walmart went under today or tomorrow, surely folks would have to find alternatives.

Name six other places that have lower prices.

I would if Walmart hadn't wiped out the competition in most cities with their cut throat tactics. In any event, I find that Target has decent prices (I only buy select AMERICAN made items there), as well as Shop & Stop and Shop Rite, both of which have great low prices and carry an abundant of American made products. I mean you act like their prices are so much cheaper than the competition, which I highly doubt, and if it is well then it isn't a surprise. If they buy as much counterfeit goods as they've been busted for in the past, well then yeah their prices can't be beat. The point is they don't play by the rules any way you cut it.

@ Tokkemon, here's why Walmart's prices as so low, but I'm sure you'll keep overlooking that...

http://www.fastcompa...t-you-dont-know

Here's the best piece from the article:

"People ask, 'How can it be bad for things to come into the U.S. cheaply? How can it be bad to have a bargain at Wal-Mart?' Sure, it's held inflation down, and it's great to have bargains," says Dobbins. "But you can't buy anything if you're not employed. We are shopping ourselves out of jobs."

Archived