Here we go again: Wal-Mart looking to open shop in Queens

IntExp

walmart2n-3-web.jpg

"Walmart is launching a stealth campaign to build one of its mega stores in the Willets Point redevelopment, sources said.

The company and the developer remain tight-lipped, but the giant retailer has been lobbying behind the scenes to get a toe-hold in the Willets West retail and entertainment complex, which is slated to be built just west of Citi Field as part of a larger, neighborhood renewal.

“They were looking at Willets Point as a possibility for a new site in New York,” said one elected official, who asked not to be named, but said he is opposed to the idea.

Another elected official, who also did not want to be named, said the company had been courting support.

But most pols hate the idea.

“I can’t think of a worse tenant,” said state Sen. Toby Stavisky (D-Flushing). “Walmart’s track record of abusing workers . . . is legendary."

Stavisky’s opinion of Walmart could be based on prior company practices, suggested Walmart spokesman Steve Restivo. Walmart wages and benefits now “meet or exceed those offered by a majority of our competitors in New York City,” he said.

Walmart also offers competitive prices, Restivo added.

“We think our stores can be part of the solution for folks who want a job or need more affordable grocery options close to where they live or work,” he said.

The nearest Walmart to Willets Point is in Valley Stream, just over the Nassau County border. Many Queens residents shop at that location, but Restivo refused to comment on whether Walmart was looking at opening in Queens.

“We don’t have any announced projects in the city, but continue to evaluate opportunities all across the five boroughs,” he said.

Walmart has also been mum about its plans for a megastore at a shopping center in East New York, Brooklyn, that is being developed by the Related Companies — the same company that is codeveloping the Willets Point site with Sterling Equities.

A spokesman for the partnership said that large-scale stores are not “anticipated” for the enclosed Willets West complex. And sources close to Related denied that the company was in talks with Walmart over the Willets Point site."

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...6#ixzz22PFahgqI

Well, if at first you can't succeed, just try try again! Looks like Wal-Mart wants to try to sneak into Queens, in my part of Queens! They're lobbying hard to sang a spot as one of the businesses taking part of the Willets Point Redevelopment Project, which include a mall across the street from Citi Field.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you have a problem with walmart,

DON'T SHOP THERE!

If K-Mart and Target and BJ's and Costco can have stores in the city, what's wrong with Walmart? I'll tell you, nothing.

The primary opponents of Walmart are NOT the "mom and pop" stores, who will surive if Walmart comes into town. It's CVS, Walgreens and Rite-aid, who's much higher prices are threatned.

Everyone threw a fit when Home Depot came to my part of queens, worried it would put the local landmark hardware store out of business. Well, that was well over 10 years ago and the little store is fine. It even surived a much closer Pergamints.

What's wrong with Walmart? I'll tell you, nothing.

You call abusing workers' rights "nothing"? It's funny that you act as if folks are opposing Walmart for no simple reason, though I will say that some folks are rather hypocritical because they support other companies that are here that are doing some of the same things that Walmart does... Sells out America and American jobs all in the name of "low prices". The ones that are so desperate for Walmart don't realize that their low prices are doing nothing to benefit them in the long term. Just making them feel like they got a deal all the while helping to keep their wages low and standards of living low. For that reason alone I could do not only without Walmart, but a few other stores like them.

These box stores do nothing but destroy American jobs and the American way of living.

I wonder how many of you that are clamoring for Walmart have studied how American wages continue to go down overall as more and more American jobs get shipped out? Next time you complain about high prices just remember that low prices come at a cost.

Guest MTA Bus

If they can build Target and Kmart in the city, they can build Wal - Mart. I think the only problem is that Wal - Mart is a huge store. where would you find the space for it ?

[quote name=MTA Bus' timestamp='1343922321' post='564939]

If they can build Target and Kmart in the city, they can build Wal - Mart. I think the only problem is that Wal - Mart is a huge store. where would you find the space for it ?

Finding a space isn't the issue. Many are just opposed to having a Wal-Mart here period because of their image in terms of abusing workers' rights, pressuring vendors to slash their prices to the bone forcing many to look overseas to cut prices and use tactics that cost American jobs and keep American wages low. They're also seen as anti-union. Target on the other hand supposedly has a bit of a better history in terms of employee relations, so I do shop at Target on occasion, BUT paying attention to buy American products as much as possible, as I'll admit I have bought things from say Portugal from Target, but the majority of what I get is a good 90% American made, only because I seek out those products in advance, with some being from say Canada, but that's not because these stores make the effort to carry American made products. I'm in favor of these kinds of stores, because not everyone can afford the high end stores, but they need to be more committed to carrying more American made goods AND maintaining workers' rights and keeping wages respectable. I think all three of those things can be done.

Most folks working at the Walmarts of the world and such can barely make ends meet, even in so called higher up managerial positions. Of course the pay shouldn't be glamorous, but listen there are some companies like Whole Foods for example that pay their workers reasonable wages and support the small American companies that are trying to make it.

In sum, these so called American companies are profiting off of the backs of Americans and giving Americans back NOTHING in return and it's disgusting.

You can call it business as usual if you may, but I'm of the belief that American companies have a moral responsibility if you will to help the U.S. and Americans grow just like they're growing, but their greed and profits as usual get in the way.

Target (not sure about Kmart) does not have a union like Wal Mart. While i think Wal Mart should open anyhwere in NYC as this is America I say this. If you as a customer, you dont want to shop there that your right.

I know my next statement is controversial but I do buy there at least once a month. While I do not condone Wal mart pratices, many of the so called international box stores do the same thing i.e buying products to sell to customers in sweat shops many of us including me are on a budget. Thus i think the media and some liberal polticans are unfair in only being angry at wal mart.

Personally i mainly buy toliet paper, household products etc. I never buy clothes there. And for those of you who oppose Wal mart in NYC what about fact 1)many of these family owned mama and pa stores charge 75-100% more in some cases for same products in lower economic neighborhhoods that lack box stores. 2)Lack of affordable groceries in lower economic neighborhhoods.

3)Not having to pay $50-$100 a year to join a wholesale club like BJ's or Costco to do. 4)NYC losing millions each year in local city residents going to Green Acres, Seacucus or White Plains to shop at Wal-Mart,

Just my takes and await replies.

While I can see the point about box stores, box stores also provide something that is necessary for the economy: low prices. Not everyone can afford American-made goods, and without at least some goods coming from outside sources, we have people who can't afford to sustain themselves, putting more burden on the backs of more wealthy taxpayers.

And VG8 the area of mama and pa stores of the 1950's are over. What you propose for the crappy overpriced small business that sell crappy products in lower income neighborhoods? And those shopping at Wal-Mart? Comeptation makes things better.

Tired of VG8 and other criitcs making all these complaints about wal mart (other box stores) and offers no solutions. Should wal mart go out of business? I await his replies.

Target (not sure about Kmart) does not have a union like Wal Mart. While i think Wal Mart should open anyhwere in NYC as this is America I say this. If you as a customer, you dont want to shop there that your right.

Walmart is also anti-union. It's among the first videos they show new hires at orientation, "Oh, I used to be in a union. Oh, I used to have some of my paycheck deducted to pay dues, blah,blah, blah"

I worked there. Not fun. Very against.

I've always had a love-hate relationship with Wal*Mart. Ironically, they tend to OVERPRICE decent quality stuff, while the cheaper china-made garbage (no offense to anyone) are often the "deals". However, there are times when they do sell decently made items for a pretty good deal that one can't resist. I don't go there often, but sometimes they just have better deals for the good quality items.

I won't mind a Wal*Mart around here, just as long as they keep a healthy competition. Not saying that i'm in favor of it or against it, but if it happens, i just wont mind.

I witnessed the death of a Wal*Mart worker back in Black Friday 2008, at the Valley Stream Wal*Mart. We were one of the last people along the line. Much of the employees were standing on the vending machines (which were forming a barricade) as we saw from one side of the store. They had a barricade around the entrance, although most people just jumped over it. Should have seen how badly damaged the storefront ended up, with glass shattered everywhere, or cracked. This was after the worker was trampled and was having a cardiac arrest, as the workers tried to close the store shortly. Even the automatic doors were damaged, already bent and etc. While we were nearly inside the store, we watched how the paramedics were trying to perform CPR on the worker. But i tell you, a lot of people were rushing like wild animals, while we just took our time. We did eventually walk out with a new LCD TV and a small desktop computer we're using now as an HTPC. They eventually announced that the store was closed due to a "situation beyond their control" at around 6:30 a.m. with a few cop cars on the scene.

I feel the same way buddy with your good comments below.

I've always had a love-hate relationship with Wal*Mart. Ironically, they tend to OVERPRICE decent quality stuff, while the cheaper china-made garbage (no offense to anyone) are often the "deals". However, there are times when they do sell decently made items for a pretty good deal that one can't resist. I don't go there often, but sometimes they just have better deals for the good quality items.

I won't mind a Wal*Mart around here, just as long as they keep a healthy competition. Not saying that i'm in favor of it or against it, but if it happens, i just wont mind.

I witnessed the death of a Wal*Mart worker back in Black Friday 2008, at the Valley Stream Wal*Mart. We were one of the last people along the line. Much of the employees were standing on the vending machines (which were forming a barricade) as we saw from one side of the store. They had a barricade around the entrance, although most people just jumped over it. Should have seen how badly damaged the storefront ended up, with glass shattered everywhere, or cracked. This was after the worker was trampled and was having a cardiac arrest, as the workers tried to close the store shortly. Even the automatic doors were damaged, already bent and etc. While we were nearly inside the store, we watched how the paramedics were trying to perform CPR on the worker. But i tell you, a lot of people were rushing like wild animals, while we just took our time. We did eventually walk out with a new LCD TV and a small desktop computer we're using now as an HTPC. They eventually announced that the store was closed due to a "situation beyond their control" at around 6:30 a.m. with a few cop cars on the scene.

I am already friggin sick and tired of hearing people go against Walmart, if the damn company wants to open a store here in the 5 boroughs, let them! This drama is making New York City look bad and anti-business and pro-union. This is also making our city look anti-competition and anti-big box. It's inevitable that sooner or later Walmart will open here in NYC no matter what, businesses are already on the decline anyways and people are already shopping at Target and KMart, lets welcome a similar store aka Walmart!

Am I for or against a Walmart in NYC? I am not all for due to their record but I already said okay! If they want to open a store in Brooklyn at the Gateway Shopping Plaza, they should just go ahead and build it and let that be their only store since it's so remote it caters to the people who uses cars. Now it's Willets Point, I say it's all okay, let them build it but this time it's a pwn in the anti-Walmart activists faces since it's also served by Cars, and Local Transit. Go ahead build it!

To the people who hate Walmart and are anti-Walmart, you guys and gals can just zip up your mouth and just don't shop there, simple task! It's nuts seeing how many people from NYC pour into the Secaucus, NJ, White Plains, NY and Long Island Walmarts! We're not keeping our money at home, rather we are giving it to the suburbs nearby!

I am already friggin sick and tired of hearing people go against Walmart, if the damn company wants to open a store here in the 5 boroughs, let them! This drama is making New York City look bad and anti-business and pro-union. This is also making our city look anti-competition and anti-big box. It's inevitable that sooner or later Walmart will open here in NYC no matter what, businesses are already on the decline anyways and people are already shopping at Target and KMart, lets welcome a similar store aka Walmart!

Am I for or against a Walmart in NYC? I am not all for due to their record but I already said okay! If they want to open a store in Brooklyn at the Gateway Shopping Plaza, they should just go ahead and build it and let that be their only store since it's so remote it caters to the people who uses cars. Now it's Willets Point, I say it's all okay, let them build it but this time it's a pwn in the anti-Walmart activists faces since it's also served by Cars, and Local Transit. Go ahead build it!

To the people who hate Walmart and are anti-Walmart, you guys and gals can just zip up your mouth and just don't shop there, simple task! It's nuts seeing how many people from NYC pour into the Secaucus, NJ, White Plains, NY and Long Island Walmarts! We're not keeping our money at home, rather we are giving it to the suburbs nearby!

Hey i live upstate in Ducthess County, NY (Poughkeepsie) area and shop at either the Fishkill or Kingston, NY store on occasion so it does not apply to me lol. Plus i left Brooklyn 5 years ago. :lol:

I've been to Walmart up in White Plains. Prices you can't beat compared to other retail chains. Even tho the store maintenance aint at its best. If they want to go ahead and build one, feel free. Other companies like BJs, Target, Costco (as noted above) are also around the same level as Walmart. So why can't they be built? Don't like it, don't shop it!

I would actually like to see one being built over in Corona. That surely would attract people from the Bronx, Manhattan, Brooklyn (and maybe Western Nassau Residents?) to jump over there besides Queens residents. At least the prices would be good for the consumers, even tho it may affect businesses nearby.

These box stores do nothing but destroy American jobs and the American way of living.

Its saving my wallet however LOL

Even though I don't agree with Walmarts practices it isn't fair, if K-mart and Costo can come to this city then why can't Walmart?, Wage requirements? am sure they city and Walmart can come to an agreement over Wages which I doubt they won't happen,

And VG8 the area of mama and pa stores of the 1950's are over. What you propose for the crappy overpriced small business that sell crappy products in lower income neighborhoods? And those shopping at Wal-Mart? Comeptation makes things better.

Tired of VG8 and other criitcs making all these complaints about wal mart (other box stores) and offers no solutions. Should wal mart go out of business? I await his replies.

lol... No more consumers should be demanding changes with how box stores operate. Here's the deal. There is nothing wrong with offering low prices. Everyone likes them, but I'm of the belief that Walmart and other big box stores can do BOTH and do so successfully without forcing American jobs to be shipped out in the process and mistreating their workers. The excuse always given is that we need low prices and American goods are too expensive. That is a fallacy because guess what? Goods from third world countries are becoming more expensive because the folks in those countries are starting to form middle classes and want higher wages too. The stores are using the excuse that it is too expensive to manufacture here and then they ship the jobs overseas and rack up on profits while the prices in some cases don't go down very much at all. I've noticed that with products that used to be made here and are now made overseas. I don't see any difference in the cost of that product and I just chuckle because you have many consumers who are buying into this thought process while these large multinational companies are raking in the profits.

There's also the cost of transportation which is becoming more and more expensive when manufacturing overseas, so this lame excuse about American goods being so expensive is simply a lack of knowledge and even some American companies that set up shop overseas are starting to realize this and are moving here instead to manufacture.

In short, yes the days of many mom and pop stores are numbered in some places (not in all). In my neighborhood for example, we patronize the small businesses and the box stores and we have a healthy relationship of a few box stores and the small mom and pop stores. What I'm saying is the Walmarts of the world would be accepted in more communities if their presence didn't decimate those same communities by often times leaving them as the main show in town. Competition is great. In fact that's what this country was built on, but their underhanded practices of doing everything possible to stop unions from forming, not paying wages to employees for hours worked and other cut throat practices is not healthy for the overall American economy. Tell me what good is Walmart doing if some folks can buy goods at a cheap price while others working there aren't even getting paid monies that are due to them? They're helping some folks buy goods cheap, while forcing others deeper into poverty but forcing jobs overseas and not paying their workers monies due to them.

If that is "competition" then we're in serious trouble in this country because if people don't have jobs to afford even the low priced goods, the economy will remain stagnant because our economy is quite dependent upon consumer consumption amongst other things. Oh and another thing... If we're buying tons of foreign products, what good is that doing for our economy? So someone is working and paying taxes, but the goods that they buy aren't benefiting the US but rather going overseas... Just a thought...

Its saving my wallet however LOL

Uh huh, so long as you have a job... The thought process is that we can just keep shipping jobs overseas and we'll create new ones... Well why are an estimated 22.8 million Americans out of work, or underemployed? You don't replace all of those jobs and also what is happening is that wages and benefits are decreasing here, so you think you're saving money in the store, but your wages are being hurt from it indirectly.

There's also the cost of transportation which is becoming more and more expensive when manufacturing overseas, so this lame excuse about American goods being so expensive is simply a lack of knowledge and even some American companies that set up shop overseas are starting to realize this and are moving here instead to manufacture.

It's true. There's a few manufacturing companies already coming back.

Hey i live upstate in Ducthess County, NY (Poughkeepsie) area and shop at either the Fishkill or Kingston, NY store on occasion so it does not apply to me lol. Plus i left Brooklyn 5 years ago. :lol:

LOL, I know it doesn't apply to you and those who have primary residence outside of NYC,

I've been to Walmart up in White Plains. Prices you can't beat compared to other retail chains. Even tho the store maintenance aint at its best. If they want to go ahead and build one, feel free. Other companies like BJs, Target, Costco (as noted above) are also around the same level as Walmart. So why can't they be built? Don't like it, don't shop it!

I would actually like to see one being built over in Corona. That surely would attract people from the Bronx, Manhattan, Brooklyn (and maybe Western Nassau Residents?) to jump over there besides Queens residents. At least the prices would be good for the consumers, even tho it may affect businesses nearby.

Well, I think you should check out the store in Secaucus or the one in Westbury [behind the Best Buy / neighboring Costco and the Sports Authority], those stores are cleaner and much more "suburban and true" in feel.

As for the current "rumored" location, it's near Corona and in a good spot so it will attact people from all around, either way it's inevitable Walmart will affect businesses nearby, but with Walmart located in many places around the city, it's also inevitable Walmart will enter NYC one way or another.

As for the current "rumored" location, it's near Corona and in a good spot so it will attact people from all around, either way it's inevitable Walmart will affect businesses nearby, but with Walmart located in many places around the city, it's also inevitable Walmart will enter NYC one way or another.

I think that will heavily depend on what consumers have to say. Consumers can have an influence and companies don't like bad publicity.

Archived