The MTA heading your way with good news!

Shortline Bus

Experience you say? Well, here's why I don't want it to come back:

I sat in traffic coming from Park Row to Brooklyn for over half an hour. The bus wasn't even crowded! There's no point in restoring it. That route is a slow waste of fuel and deserves to remain in the trash bag.

Wow...one ride? That's some experience! /sarcasm

Also. I've sat on B39s where it was empty and I sat in traffic over a half hour plus....what a prime example of faulty reasoning and bad arguments...by saying this, this ultimately kills your arguments about the B39 and B51...

Oh, FYI, there's a flaw with your argument....Park Row doesnt really get traffic...Bowery heading to the Bridge from Park Row doesn't get slammed with traffic that much either...if it's bridge traffic you are talking about...the B39 had that too....terrible reasons and arguments....

Guys, the B4 will return: http://www.sheepshea...-bay-community/

Awesome. Though I have a question regarding the B4. Before the cuts, what were the headways along the line and how often did B4s come?

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the fact that you have yet to come up with facts, figures, experience, or even valid opinions is why you FEEL this isnt a fair debate.

He has his biases..... We are posting facts.....

Logic trumps feelings...... Of course the opposing side of truth would feel there's an unfair debate.... It's to be expected....

So if I have my biases? If I don't like the route, that's my buisness.

Exactly..... You can possess whatever biases you want.

What we were attacking was your logic for having that bias - which is free reign for anyone to challenge....

But since this discussion is done & over with....

Guys, the B4 will return: http://www.sheepshea...-bay-community/

Good to hear..... Be gone w/ that CI Hosp. terminal, B4.....

Awesome. Though I have a question regarding the B4. Before the cuts, what were the headways along the line and how often did B4s come?

Overall, anywhere from every 10 minutes to every 30 minutes.

Cait Sith: Basically the same as now. You can look at Internet Archive to get an idea. Actually I think that the line was most frequent from late 2008 to early 2009, during AM rush hour when there was a 12-minute headway from about 7am to 8am at Knapp St. Now it is mostly 14 to 15 minute headways, sometimes 20. They barely stuck to that though as they were and still are often bunched/off schedule.

Well now that I've had my Whole Foods grub I can chime in this conversation... I would support bringing back both the B39 and B51 provided that the B51 showed that it had enough ridership to sustain it. Yes, it was used at times (I know from personal observations since I have lived more than half of my life in Brooklyn being from there and all) and at times it was dead and I've used it here and there myself as well during my teenage years when working for the (MTA) over at 370 Jay Street. The question is after say the rush hours and such what other type of usage can the B51 have? That's why I said maybe a bus could be extended and proposed one of the Red Hook lines only because those two lines are short (B71 and B77). I didn't even think about where how they would transverse the B51 route, but Far Rock, B35 and Cait made some good points about traffic on the Gowanus which is very true having been stuck for over an hour myself on the express bus there.

The B4 was supposed to be every 15 - 20 minutes which wasn't terrible. The real problem was buses being MIA.

---

On a side note, I'd like to personally thank Senator Golden for his hard work. I have been in contact with him over the past year on several of the routes that will be restored and he promised that he would do everything possible to make things happen. I have no doubt that these routes (B2, B4 and B64) weren't just restored just because...

as was said, posted headways were ~ the same....

how often did they actually come? well from my experience, depended on which way you were going..... on average, I found that my waits tended to be a little longer for a sheepshead bound bus than they were for a bay ridge bound bus (I would wait over there by the park @ ft. hamilton pkwy)..... I would smh when I would see back to back B4's heading towards bay ridge.... I don't think I ever saw sheepshead bound B4's bunch.....

I'm not going to say much, but the few times that I did ride the B4 weren't pleasant. (I rode it once when it was out of Ulmer)

That's awesome!

I believe they meant the X28, having the X17 stop in Brooklyn? :blink:

Yeah, that must be a typo and it must mean that the X27 AND X28 were restored on weekends... I AM SO HAPPY! Thanks to FamousNYLover for his support and help with the signatures for weekend service restoration for the X27 and X28 and a big thanks to Senator Golden for his role in this as well.

http://www.subchat.c...t.asp?Id=231967

Something I found from Subchat regarding the X27 and X28 weekend service and Senator Golden. I agree 100% with him. In our conversations, we both agreed that bus service helps the economy. It allows folks to get out, shop, dine, SPEND MONEY and creates tax revenues!

Oh and yes... I argued that the Bx34 weekend service should be brought back and violà... Congratulations to the folks in Woodlawn who always deserved better!

Anyway, I see you guys doing happy dances in my head... who cares about the fare hike? This is worth it! :D

Comments on the changes:

West Village-Clinton route? To supplement the M11 I suppose...

I see they're extending the Q30 to replace the Q79. Good...

That's all, I have to go..

Anyway, I see you guys doing happy dances in my head... who cares about the fare hike? This is worth it! :D

Comments on the changes:

West Village-Clinton route? To supplement the M11 I suppose...

I see they're extending the Q30 to replace the Q79. Good...

That's all, I have to go..

Take it easy man.... and don't get so peeved in these discussions.....

WEEKEND M21 SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!

Do you think im happy about weekend M21 service?

Although I personally didn't take the M21 when I would work weekends, still..... Go 'head & revel in your happiness, bro !

If you werent some of the first at the park row bus stop, you got no seat on the bus. everyday!

Didn't see this the first time around.

Yup, tell me about it.... Sometimes I would walk from work on over to park row & ride the B51 (because I don't like walking the brooklyn bridge)....

I would always let the older folks get on first, even if I was amongst the first few ppl. in line..... I knew how infrequent buses were, and considered how long they must have been standing waiting.....

I think the M1 is an interesting restoration. I remember Harlem residents were pissed about losing it. Nice to see it back on the weekends. Hopefully we'll have better service along Madison Avenue on the weekends because it has been running like CRAP with just the M2 and M3 below 34th street.

Improved City Bus Service

Bronx:

Weekend service restored: Bx34.

Service to new areas: Bx13 extension, New route from South Bronx to western Hunts Point.

Brooklyn:

Weekend service restored: B2, B24, B69, X17/X27.

Restored/extended routes: B4, B39, B48, B57, B64.

Service to new areas: Three new routes.

Manhattan:

Weekend service restored: M1, M21.

Restored/extended routes: M9.

Service to new areas: New route along Far West Side from West Village to Clinton.

Queens:

Weekend service restored: Q76.

Restored/extended routes: Q24, Q27, Q36, Q42.

Service to new areas: Q30 service to Queensborough Community College.

Staten Island

Weekend service restored: S76, X17.

Late night service added: X1.

Restored/extended routes: S93 service through campus of College of Staten Island, X1 late night service, X17 off-peak weekdays and evening service.

This is amazing. I am rather curious to see what they'll do with both the B39 and the B57...on the fence with the Q24 though...

x17 off-peak....THANK YOU!! I'm getting sick of taking the damn x1 back to the city. Nowadays I've been taking the x10 back to the city because that x1 is ridiculous!

That M21 weekend service was desperately needed. It made the M14A & the M14D AND the (F) a nightmare to ride. Every time I was within the area of 14th - 34th Streets, I would always walk home because those 3 lines alone were a total pain in the ass!

This, along with the M9 makes me very happy. I may be living in Queens but I'm an L.E.S person at heart and will always support that neighborhood!

Was there something cut from the Q27 or is that route getting extended?

x27 weekend service but no x28? That's a little odd.

All of this so far sounds really good. But then I read this....

The MTA is going to have a fare hike in 2013.

So...what's your predictions, will the base fare see an increase, will unlimiteds be another victim yet again to an increase or will we see both uses of fare payment see an increase?

Honestly, if they were smart, they would do away with the single-ride cards.

Here the exact list ladies and gents. Courstey of NY1.com

Bronx:

Service to new areas: Bx13 extension, New route from South Bronx to western Hunts Point.

Brooklyn:

Manhattan:

Service to new areas: New route along Far West Side from West Village to Clinton.

Queens:

Staten Island

Restored/extended routes: S93 service through campus of College of Staten Island, X1 late night service, X17 off-peak weekdays and evening service

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/165114/mta-to-improve-bus-service-in-all-five-boroughs--keep-g-train-extension

x27 weekend service but no x28? That's a little odd.

There's a typo... It says X17/X27... It should be X27/X28... They wouldn't bring back one and not the other since I contacted Senator Golden regarding both and the residents on both lines have been extremely vocal about weekend restoration to both lines. Golden assured me that he would be working to restore service to both lines and I'm sure that's what happened.

Here the exact list ladies and gents. Courstey of NY1.com

Bronx:

Brooklyn:

Manhattan:

Queens:

Staten Island

Restored/extended routes: S93 service through campus of College of Staten Island, X1 late night service, X17 off-peak weekdays and evening service

http://www.ny1.com/c...train-extension

Posted that above :P

There's a typo... It says X17/X27... It should be X27/X28... They wouldn't bring back one and not the other since I contacted Senator Golden regarding both and the residents on both lines have been extremely vocal about weekend restoration to both lines. Golden assured me that he would be working to restore service to both lines and I'm sure that's what happened.

Oh wow, didn't notice the typo, that makes more sense now.

Archived