The MTA heading your way with good news!

Shortline Bus

Okay, here's the deal with the X17 stopping in Bay Ridge... Instead of having the X28 restored on weekends, there are talks about having the X17 run instead and stop there. I have been told from my source that this has not been finalized yet, so I should know for sure by early next week, but I have responded to my source letting them know that we hope the X28 can be fully restored or as a compromise have the X28 run with reduced frequencies.

If that the case then i assume it would be the BQE service road between 91 and 92nd St (connecting with the B70) Still if you restore the X27 then the X28 should be restored as well. Even if the weekend terminal is shortned to around the Canal/Cropsey (Pathmark shopping center) or Stillwell Terminal.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't want to speculate, but that is exactly what came to my mind after I saw W8Hou's 2nd post (post #309)....

They may just have ppl. taking x17's & having em make their way to areas the x28 serves on weekends, instead of bringing the x28 back outright......

If that catches on, the weekend x17's are gonna be packed to the gills.....

If that the case then i assume it would be the BQE service road between 91 and 92nd St (connecting with the B70).....

You mean the Gowanus.....

Anyway, Not sure what you're referring to regarding 91st/92nd sts., but all it'll have to do is utilize Gatling place (SI bound), Dahlgren (Manhattan bound)..... same streets the x28 uses to dive on/off the hwy......

If that the case then i assume it would be the BQE service road between 91 and 92nd St (connecting with the B70) Still if you restore the X27 then the X28 should be restored as well. Even if the weekend terminal is shortned to around the Canal/Cropsey (Pathmark shopping center) or Stillwell Terminal.

I get the feeling that money is at play here and also the X28 doesn't get as much ridership as the X27 on the weekends. Golden is trying to do what he can so I understand the situation, as he has put forth funds for both the X27 and X28 in the past to run on the weekends. Ideally folks who needed the X28 would head to the new proposed stop and get to the city from there, but again this is still in negotiation. The hope is to get the X28 back. I will know for sure by early next week.

IMO, X27 and X28 should be combined in the weekends only.

Won't happen... The X27 is secured already. The X28 is the wildcard. I know the deal here... Bay Ridge screams the loudest plus they have the ridership to back it up, especially along Shore Rd. During my talks with Golden's office, the X27 has come up more often than the X28 for restoration on weekends...

Not the first time I heard someone suggest that (combining the x27/28 on weekends)....

It didn't make sense then & it still doesn't now.

It sure doesn't... I used to use the X28 regularly on Sundays and that route serves a completely different segment of Southern Brooklyn than the X27 does.

I just read through two pages of thread, *whew*

And here's what I have to say:

The X17 should not stop in Bay Ridge. It may actually speed up the route, ironically, but the buses will be filled to the brim. I can think of a number of compromises: (Saturday only, 90-minute headways) but sending the X17 there isn't one of them.

As for the waterfront routes:

Hopefully the Greenpoint route means that the Q59 will take Marcy/Rodney to get to WBP instead of that loop...

The DUMBO route isn't that bad, it can actually go from Smith/9th to the waterfront, maybe replacing the B25 to DUMBO, the B57 extension and supplement the B57/62/69 up by the Navy Yard.

Has anyone ever thought about the B62. If the B71, B75, and B77 return or at least one of them return the B61 is most likely going to return to its original route to Long Island City. This means that the B62 has a good chance of being gone.

Has anyone ever thought about the B62. If the B71, B75, and B77 return or at least one of them return the B61 is most likely going to return to its original route to Long Island City. This means that the B62 has a good chance of being gone.

The MTA wouldn't renig on something that big like a route split...

My replies in red. Mostly IMO the (MTA) did a good job in restoring the right services. The only major disagreement is the "B57" being extended to red hook. They should have brought back the damn "B77".

Anyhow my takes is below.

Bronx

Bx13

• Extension from E 161st St to Gateway Mall via River Ave

• Serves Concourse Village, Mott Haven

• Finally BX. Gateway gets a bus line. Still that proposed line to/from Hunt's Point should been that route that serves Gateway.

Service to new markets

Jan 2013

Bx34

• Restore weekend service from 242nd St to Fordham Rd via Bainbridge Ave
  • Serves Woodlawn, Norwood, Bedford Park, Fordham
  • Bravo. Weekend service on the BX34 should have never been cut.

Weekend service restoration

Jan 2013

New Service

• South Bronx service to western Hunts Point
  • Serves Hunts Point, Barretto Point Park
  • This route should also serve the Yankee Stadium and Bronx Gateway Mall/Metro North "East 153rd St/YS" stop as well to help out the busy "BX6" as well. May happen in near future.

Service to new markets

Sept 2013

Brooklyn

g.png Line

• Extend g.png to Church Avenue permanently
  • Serves Park Slope, Windsor Terrace, Kensington
  • No brainer. Plus lessens the congestion between Caroll and Smith-9th Sts.

Improves service connectivity

B2

• Restore weekend service from Midwood to Kings Plaza Mall via Avenue R
  • Serves Gravesend, Marine Park
  • This is sweet. Even if only Saturday service had returned that would been enough.

Oct 2012

B4

• Restore route from Ocean Pkwy to Knapp St via Neptune, Sheepshead Bay Rd, Emmons Ave/Shore Parkway
  • Serves Brighton Beach, Sheepshead Bay
  • No Brainer.

Route segment restoration

Jan 2013

B24

• Restore weekend service from Greenpoint to Williamsburg Bridge Plaza via Sunnyside
  • Serves Williamsburg, Sunnyside, Greenpoint
  • Personally this B24 needs a make-over but that for another chat. IMO it shoudl run weekends only between Manhattan Ave/Greenpoint Ave (G) station and Sunnyside.

Jan 2013

B39

• Route restoration from Williamsburg Bridge Plaza to LES Delancey/Allen Sts via Williamsburg Bridge
  • Serves Williamsburg, Lower East Side
  • Does anyone know if this is a 24/7 route? This is good news but IMO overnight service is not needed here. Also this route could been extended to say the Grand St "B & D" station for access also to the "M103."

Route restoration

Jan 2013

B48

• Restore extension from Atlantic Ave to Prospect Park station via Franklin Ave/Classon Ave
  • Serves Prospect Hts, Crown Hts, Prospect Lefferts Gardens
  • Cool! Personally I would consider extending the B48 to Sunnyside and have the "B43" serve Nassau Ave.

Jan 2013

B57

• Extension from Carroll Gardens to Red Hook via Court St, Lorraine St, Otsego St
  • Serves Red Hook
  • One of the very few extensions I disagree with. The "B57" is already a long route. I would brought back the "B77" instead and have the "B57" terminal at 4th Ave/9th St station.

Jan 2013

B64

• Restore extension from Cropsey Ave to Stillwell Ave via Harway Ave
  • Serves Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Coney Island
  • Finally. Just like the "B39" IMO no need for overnight service.

Jan 2013

B69

• Restore weekend service from Kensington to Downtown Brooklyn
  • Serves DUMBO, Ft Greene, Clinton Hill, Prospect Hts, Park Slope, Windsor Terrace, Kensington
  • I would have the "B69" extended via 16th Avenue to the 62nd St "D and N" station.

Jan 2013

New Service

• New service connecting Downtown Brooklyn, DUMBO, Vinegar Hill and the Brooklyn Navy Yard; route to be determined
  • Not sure yet. Need to see routing/street it will take before i can comment.

Service to new markets

Sept 2013

• New Williamsburg waterfront service; route to be determined
  • Serves Williamsburg and Greenpoint
  • I would have instead had extended this planned line to run as a Williamsburg/Greenpoint-East Midtown line via Midtown Tunnel as way to relieve crowding on the (L) and also certain times on the (G).

Service to new markets

Sept 2013

• New service between East New York and Spring Creek, Brooklyn; route to be determined
  • Serves Spring Creek
  • Not sure. Need to see routing.

Service to new markets

Sept 2013

X27/X17 New Stop

• Restore X27 weekend service from Bay Ridge to Midtown Manhattan
  • Add new Bay Ridge, Brooklyn stop on X17
  • Serves Bay Ridge, Fort Hamilton, Dyker Heights
  • While as a compromise i been urging for a return of X27/28 Saturday service, this is great news. With that said, it should run 30 minutes on Saturdays and 60 minutes on Sundays. And what up with this X17 stop i assume at BQE Service Road/92nd Street? Just bring back the X28 with hourly service on weekends.

Oct 2012

Manhattan

M1

• Restore service from 106th St to 8th St via Madison/5th Avenues on weekends
  • Serves Yorkville, Upper East Side, Midtown, Flatiron, Greenwich Village
  • Never should been cut. Worst case on weekends the M1 should have terminated downtown at Penn Station.

Jan 2013

M9

• Extend route from 23rd Street to 29th St via 1st/2nd Aves
  • Serves Kips Bay

Jan 2013

• Extend route from Park Row to Battery Park City via Warren/Murray Sts and West St
  • Serves East Village, Lower East Side, Chinatown, Battery Park City
  • Have to see it's revised routing before i can comment.

Jan 2013

M21

• Restore weekend service from FDR Drive to Washington St via Houston St
  • Serves Lower East Side, East Village, SoHo, Greenwich Village, West Village
  • The Lower West Side/SO Ho is a growing area.

Jan 2013

New Service

• New north-south Far Westside Manhattan route
  • Serves West Village, Chelsea, Hell’s Kitchen, Clinton
  • Huge gamble creating this route. Yes the far west side needs a bus route. However big issue is if it's taking 12th Ave/West Side Highway it could be a good idea gone bad.

Service to new markets

Sept 2013

Queens

Q24

• Restore extension from Bway Junction to Bushwick Ave via Broadway
  • Serves East New York, Bushwick
  • IMO I would have extended it to Woodhull Hosp if it's running to the Dekalb Ave/Bway area. And I would have also create weekday "Limited Stop" service between Bway Jct. and Supthin/Archer.

Service restoration

Jan 2013

Q27

• Provide overnight service from Horace Harding Expwy to Cambria Hts via Springfield Blvd
  • Serves Queens Village, Cambria Hts

Network coverage restoration

Jan 2013

Q30

• Provide service to Queensborough Community College

Service to new markets

Jan 2013

Q36

• Extension of every other trip from Jamaica Avenue to Little Neck via Little Neck Parkway; restores weekday service along route of previous Q79
  • Serves Floral Park, Bellerose, Glen Oaks, Little Neck
  • IMO I would have extended the Q30 or even a branch of the Q46. However at least Little Neck Pwy once again has bus service though delays/bunching maybe an issue here.

Network coverage restoration

Jan 2013

Q42

• Restore midday service from Jamaica Ctr to St Albans via Archer Ave
  • Serves Jamaica, Addisleigh Park
  • No problem.

Service restoration

Jan 2013

Q76

• Restore Saturday service/add Sunday service from Jamaica to College Point via Francis Lewis Blvd
  • Serves Jamaica, Jamaica Estates, Fresh Meadows, Bayside, Whitestone, College Pt.
  • Good idea. However late Sat/Sunday evenings appx. 8pm-11pm(last bus) I would run hourly service here.

Weekend service restoration and addition

Oct 2012

Staten Island

S76

• Restore weekend service from Oakwood to St George Ferry via Richmond Rd
  • Serves St George, Tompkinsville, Clifton, Fox Hills, Grasmere, Dongan Hills, New Dorp, Oakwood

Jan 2013

S93

• Extension from entrance of College of Staten Island into campus area
  • Serves Willowbrook, Castleton Corners, Sunnyside, Bay Ridge
  • Great. Now this line needs next, at least 30-minute service midday weekdays.

Jan 2013

X1

• Add late night Express Bus service from Eltingville to Manhattan via Hlyan Blvd
  • Serves Eltingville, Oakwood, New Dorp, Midland Beach, Grasmere
  • Might as well since it already running basically from 4am-2am daily.

Network coverage

Jan 2013

X17

• Provide Sunday service from Huguenot Ave to Midtown Manhattan
  • Serves Huguenot, Annadale, Arden Hts, Bulls Head, New Springville
  • The SI South Shore really need 7 day bus service to Manhattan.

Weekend service addition

Oct 2012

• Extend route off-peak weekdays and evenings from Huguenot Ave to Tottenville via Rossville Ave, Bloomingdale Rd, Amboy Road/Hylan Blvd
  • Serves Rossville, Woodrow, Tottenville

Service to new markets

Jan 2013

Replies in red.

@Shortline: That's not an issue, there's no way that West Side Manhattan route will take the WSH. I'm sure it'll be another 11th ave route and there's a fantastic idea.

--

Very happy to see all of this, especially the B39 return. I guess you get half of what you want since they still won't give me the M8 back. Honestly, giving service to the M21 and not M8 is ridiculous, I know they're doing it just cause the 21 is further south but Houston's traffic on the weekends is nuts and the M8 would have had more ridership. Oh well, just glad to hear about all the rest of the news. M1 sure came out of the blue, I didn't actually think the 106th St turnaround was that crazy tbh.

M1 sure came out of the blue, I didn't actually think the 106th St turnaround was that crazy tbh.

It wasn't a shocker to me at all. Many folks have been very critical about the M1 being lost on weekends, especially the folks in Harlem. They really felt victimized.

@Shortline:

I agree with the B57 extension. It's already there... Might as well extend it. If the ridership expands further and the money is there then you bring back those short routes.

Whenever I was coming down from Harlem on any route other than the M2, I'd always just transfer at 106. That's why the move seemed reasonable to me, but who knows. I still think the M1 should be on Park Av and Broadway...

@Shortline: That's not an issue, there's no way that West Side Manhattan route will take the WSH. I'm sure it'll be another 11th ave route and there's a fantastic idea.

Probably from the current M72 terminal to Abingdon Square, via 10th & 11th Avenues. That is a very good idea. (Should be labeled "M12", IMO...)

My two cents:

I like the Bx13 extension and Bx34 return on weekends. Woodlawn residents are more accustomed to taking that bus to the (4), not taking the Bx31 to the slow and painful (2).

As for the Barretto Point Park bus, I would make it a branch of the Bx6 (probably called the Bx6A) and run it to Yankee Stadium. Not all Bx6's need to go into Manhattan, every other bus will suffice.

Whenever I was coming down from Harlem on any route other than the M2, I'd always just transfer at 106. That's why the move seemed reasonable to me, but who knows. I still think the M1 should be on Park Av and Broadway...

Well I agree... I prefer it on Park Av as well, but the Harlem residents were quite angry I'll tell you that much and from what I see when I'm on the express bus passing through Harlem, they do get good usage.

My two cents:

I like the Bx13 extension and Bx34 return on weekends. Woodlawn residents are more accustomed to taking that bus to the (4), not taking the Bx31 to the slow and painful (2).

As for the Barretto Point Park bus, I would make it a branch of the Bx6 (probably called the Bx6A) and run it to Yankee Stadium. Not all Bx6's need to go into Manhattan, every other bus will suffice.

Agreed, it seems like a glorified Baretto Park Pool shuttle at this point. The Brooklyn routes have more potential, as I said, the DUMBO route could go to Red Hook and as Shortline said, the Billyburg/Greenpoint route could go to Midtown...

Agreed, it seems like a glorified Baretto Park Pool shuttle at this point. The Brooklyn routes have more potential, as I said, the DUMBO route could go to Red Hook and as Shortline said, the Billyburg/Greenpoint route could go to Midtown...

I'm concerned for the DUMBO bus because of the reception the B25 received upon its extension through that community. To play it safe, I'd rather extend the B67/69 north of Sands St to the Vinegar Hill/DUMBO area.

For the Barretto Point Park bus, if it only went between the Park and Hunts Point Av (6) station, it would be set up for failure.

Does the Q42 really deserve off-peak hour service? I know that Addisleigh Park residents are demanding, but the Q42 currently has the least ridership in Queens.

Also, I wonder why the Q76 gets Saturday and Sunday service, while the Q31 is still left in the dust. (I know that I'm foaming a lot about the Q31).

Probably from the current Q72 terminal to Abingdon Square, via 10th & 11th Avenues. That is a very good idea. (Should be labeled "M12", IMO...)

Isn't it the M72?

I'm concerned for the DUMBO bus because of the reception the B25 received upon its extension through that community. To play it safe, I'd rather extend the B67/69 north of Sands St to the Vinegar Hill/DUMBO area.

For the Barretto Point Park bus, if it only went between the Park and Hunts Point Av (6) station, it would be set up for failure.

I'm not because DUMBO has steadily been growing. You have to understand the demographics down there. More younger folks moving there and younger folks are more inclined to use public transportation. Kudos to the (MTA) for trying this out.

Archived