The MTA heading your way with good news!

Shortline Bus

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Imma gonna fan every borough now, After all the changes been in place

My Takes:

Manhattan

M1:

Good idea back to the village

M5:Limited Stop 7 days a week from Houston Street to 72 street, AND 135-157 Streets use the M7 instead to be rerouted to Houston Street, and the M4

M9:

Good idea

Other ideas, Good for most part

I strongly agree with you that weekend express bus service on the x27 should be resumed but if the MTA dosen't want to they should modify (N) and (R) scheludes so they arrive at 59st at the same time in both directions to make connections and the commute to Bay Ridge easier. The X27 should be brought back because no one living near shore road likes to walk to 4th av and then take the (R) to the (N). During (R) line weekend shutdowns at Bay RIdge the shuttle buses get so crowded that no one can't even barley move and when people get off at 59st they rush out quickly that one has to wait pateiently to get off and once you go down to the (N) the train sometimes leaves by time the people from the buses see the train which add another ten minutes to their commute. Since the (N) train is not running express and over the bridge during the shut downs people had another 15 minutes added to the commute and if they the transfer to other lines and they missed a train all of these traveling can ruin peoples day. This why we need the X27 back!!!!!! With the x27 we can aviod all of transfering and missing trains with just one quick express bus ride!!!

These all sound like first world problems, not that big of a deal.

Wrong again... My former boss who is the CFO of the company I used to work for lives in Bay Ridge and earns 100k a year easily. He has bought a condo down there after I suggested the area to him for his wife and recent new born and loves the area after moving from Brooklyn Heights. He commutes using the X27/X37 and having the X27 back will certainly help him when he needs to come in on the weekends and finish up Accounting issues and such. Now neither he nor I work officially on the weekends, but when you earn well, you usually work long hours, which may include weekends from time to time. You're also wrong about express bus usage on the weekends on other routes... The BxM1 and BxM2 carry well along with the BxM9 and BxM10. Furthermore, the X27 and X28 are 4th and 5th respectively in terms of overall ridership for all express buses in the NYCT system, only behind the X1, X10 and X17 respectively and all of the other three routes have weekend service, as they should..

if your former boss makes 100K then he could take a cab or drive to work and park in a parking garage or something on weekends. Or just take the subway like everyone else. I highly doubt there's that many people in a situation like that that warrants bringing the route back.

When the X27/28 ran in weekends, I have heard of drivers doing a whole round trip on those UP express routes and not pick up one person, you don't hear of that on the SI express routes.

B48: Considering the ridership loss that resulted, I have to agree.

My question is: What exactly did they use the route to connect to? The (2)(3)(4)(5) or the B16 or what? Or was it a matter of riders just switching to a route like the B44 which gave them a one-seat ride to that Crown Heights area.

I'm not sure I understand your question; you mean before it got cut?

If so, It wasn't so much about what riders used it to connect to.... Instead of being bothered w/ the shuttle, they took the 48 directly to their places of residence...... the stops on the shuttle are too spaced out; this is another reason why ppl. would come off the brighton line & walk up to street level for the 48, instead of crossing over for the shuttle......

There weren't too many ppl that took the 48 to/from franklin av 2/3/4/5.... the route didn't really have a major xfer point down there [south of its current terminal] (outside of prospect park subway that is); not from the 45, 65, the IRT, or from the B41 & B16.... In laymen's, the 48 made getting to/from ppl's places of residence's easier.....

B24/B39: I liked QJT's idea of having an extended B39 cover the portion from Williamsburg to Sunnyside

....and then just have the B24 as a shuttle from Greenpoint to Sunnyside (maybe even extend it from Sunnyside to Woodside for connections to the <7> & LIRR.

So did I...... Easily the best idea he's ever posted on this forum.

I would just keep the B24 as a greenpoint av shuttle b/w the (7) & the (G) WB, and b/w west st & the (7) EB.....

wouldn't extend it to woodside; don't want it getting bogged down in Roosevelt av traffic.....

B57: It looks like they're doing this as a way to give an alternative to the B61 in Red Hook. The problem is that the B57 might end up becoming too long. They'd probably be better off splitting the B57 in Downtown Brooklyn. (I mean, on 15-20 minute headways, you really don't want to see buses get caught in more traffic than they have to).

That's gotta be why they're doing it; this way, riders aren't at the mercy of the (seemingly) problematic (current) 61......

The 57 terminal in Gowanus just screamed *Temporary* anyway.....

It's almost like they're recreating a route w/ the same problems the old 61 (red hook-queens) had all over again..... traffic along smith in the mornings can get nasty, flushing's gotten worse & worse over the years (esp. west of broadway).... only difference is, the 57 sees less riders than that old 61 did......

Downtown Brooklyn route:

....The thing is that I remember B35 talking about the N93 being analagous to a route around Downtown Brooklyn, and we all know how well that N93 performed..... :rolleyes:

lol.... the ONE rider in all its glory! Wonder how that guy's doing btw......

West Side route: I think I heard on the news that it would serve the development along the waterfront. In that case, I don't think a route along the West Side Highway would perform too well.

I really don't see such a route helping much of anyone in the west village..... It would aid the 11 on the upper end of the route though.....

Lets have one of those split-ups again, B57 is southern portion from Downtown Brooklyn to Red Hook, and B58 Northern Portion from Downtown to Maspeth. I know the route is long, but it should not be split up really unless everyone gets off at Downtown on the current B57 and another crowd of passengers come on the Bus to Gowanus

These all sound like first world problems, not that big of a deal.

Of course it isn't because it isn't you.

if your former boss makes 100K then he could take a cab or drive to work and park in a parking garage or something on weekends. Or just take the subway like everyone else. I highly doubt there's that many people in a situation like that that warrants bringing the route back.

When the X27/28 ran in weekends, I have heard of drivers doing a whole round trip on those UP express routes and not pick up one person, you don't hear of that on the SI express routes.

There are plenty of folks that earn a lot and use public transportation. My boss and her husband live in a penthouse on the Upper East Side and they use the local bus to and from the office and they park their Audi and BMW in a garage nearby. Money has nothing to do with it. Those with money don't necessarily live flashy lives, hence why they have the money they do. The fact still remains that the route is needed and has the ridership for it, hence why it was bought back. You clearly don't use the express bus and are just spewing your disgust for the service, but like I said, it is okay for our taxes dollars to supplement your local bus or subway.

Like my M16? (map by Gorgor)

http://scaped.net/m/ThrexxBus/m16

Close, but not quite. My route would travel down Park Avenue South, then all down Broadway to South Ferry. Northbound, it'd travel up Church, then Worth, Lafayette, 4th Avenue, Park Avenue South, E. 39, Madison, 42nd, terminate on the corner of 42nd and Park*. No stops at Port Authority or Park Row.

*From the beginning of the fall to the last day of winter, the bus would turn on Park and travel south. From the start of the spring to the fall, instead of turning on Park, it'd continue down 42nd to Lex, then on 39th, and back on Park. My route would be numbered the M12.

Cool! Personally I would consider extending the B48 to Sunnyside and have the "B43" serve Nassau Ave.

You don't want to branch the B43 up there, if that's the idea.... If not, No way should the 62 be only left to serve manhattan av......Don't underestimate the B43's usage north of nassau (basically along Manhattan av)... You would kill some of the B43's usefulness by doing that....

I would have instead had extended this planned line to run as a Williamsburg/Greenpoint-East Midtown line via Midtown Tunnel as way to relieve crowding on the (L) and also certain times on the (G).

I don't agree with this, but something tells me that might end up happening if the hipsters up there get their way...... it would instantly take ppl off the (7) & the B62 as well.....

IMO I would have extended it to Woodhull Hosp if it's running to the Dekalb Ave/Bway area. And I would have also create weekday "Limited Stop" service between Bway Jct. and Supthin/Archer.

IMO, recreating the old Q24 would be worse than what they're gonna do w/ the B57...... there were very few riders that took the thing west of broadway junction.... would end up being a drawn out route w/o much of a benefit......

I'm not sure I understand your question; you mean before it got cut?

If so, It wasn't so much about what riders used it to connect to.... Instead of being bothered w/ the shuttle, they took the 48 directly to their places of residence...... the stops on the shuttle are too spaced out; this is another reason why ppl. would come off the brighton line & walk up to street level for the 48, instead of crossing over for the shuttle......

There weren't too many ppl that took the 48 to/from franklin av 2/3/4/5.... the route didn't really have a major xfer point down there [south of its current terminal] (outside of prospect park subway that is); not from the 45, 65, the IRT, or from the B41 & B16.... In laymen's, the 48 made getting to/from ppl's places of residence's easier.....

Yeah, that's what I meant. Gotcha on that.

That's gotta be why they're doing it; this way, riders aren't at the mercy of the (seemingly) problematic (current) 61......

The 57 terminal in Gowanus just screamed *Temporary* anyway.....

It's almost like they're recreating a route w/ the same problems the old 61 (red hook-queens) had all over again..... traffic along smith in the mornings can get nasty, flushing's gotten worse & worse over the years (esp. west of broadway).... only difference is, the 57 sees less riders than that old 61 did......

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. And the problems would probably be made worse by the infrequency of the B57.

If they were to bring the B51 back, maybe it would be better off if they went ahead with a one time "East River Crossings" alternative plan, to run the service over the Brooklyn Bridge. Some ramps or something would have to be modified. The more direct route would be better than the Manhattan Bridge.

As for the Manhattan Bridge, i wonder if simply extending another route would be better.

I wonder if the Bx13 extension equates to full time access to Melrose Av, not just AM rush hours only. I'd like to see this new Hunts PT-South Bx route though.

The Bx13 to the Mall. I think it was Cotb16 idea? Makes me wonder if the MTA decided to pull some ideas from this forum lol.

http://www.mta.info/mta/2012_13_investment.html

For the new route in South Bronx, glad thats happening! Tho I wish the Bx40 or Bx42 would end up LTD.

Edit: Does this mark the end of the Bx13 to 3rd Ave?

The Bx13 to the Mall. I think it was Cotb16 idea? Makes me wonder if the MTA decided to pull some ideas from this forum lol.

http://www.mta.info/...investment.html

For the new route in South Bronx, glad thats happening! Tho I wish the Bx40 or Bx42 would end up LTD.

Edit: Does this mark the end of the Bx13 to 3rd Ave?

That was one of my ideas along with the Bx1 or Bx2 being rerouted. Cotb16 wanted the Bx18 extended to the mall. If only the MTA would have the Bx13 going to 149 St GC to also have a connection with the (2) and (5).

http://www.nyctransi...st-mnr-station/

Bx13 to 3 Av could still be done as an alternate terminal, or extra Bx6 service could be added.

That was one of my ideas along with the Bx1 or Bx2 being rerouted. Cotb16 wanted the Bx18 extended to the mall. If only the MTA would have the Bx13 going to 149 St GC to also have a connection with the (2) and (5).

http://www.nyctransi...st-mnr-station/

Bx13 to 3 Av could still be done as an alternate terminal, or extra Bx6 service could be added.

Well, even tho they did say it will head to the Gateway Center, lets see if that also means it will also head to 149th and the Concourse..

For the Q36 to Little Neck, had that idea for over 2 years, glad they will do something to replace the Q79.

I'm surprised that they didn't think about restoring weekend M8 service (like they did with M50). Perhaps the locals over there didn't voice their concerns as significantly as those in Turtle Bay (which, according to reports, was the neighborhood that was most strongly affected by the loss of weekend M50 service)...

It was between the M8 and the M21 weekend service-wise, and there's a compelling argument for each. The M21 has very few transit options around it but low ridership, while the M8 has relatively close transit options but higher ridership. So even though there was a fair amount of outcry about the M8, the MTA went with the route with fewer options around it. Personally, I think it was a bad choice, since that current M21 has very little ridership and weekend Houston traffic is vastly worse than 8th Street, but oh well.

I'm happy for those who got the services restored in their neighborhoods. I wish I could be a part of the celebration but Co-op City was ignored in the restoration of services. I don't know if I should be mad at the (MTA) but I know that the majority of my anger is at my neighborhood for not protesting enough about these cuts. I'm baffled by it but what can i do? It is what it is.

What's strange to me is that with there being so many services not being restored in this plan, why would the (MTA) create new bus routes instead of restoring everything that they cut? That just doesn't make sense to me, but this is the (MTA).

It was between the M8 and the M21 weekend service-wise, and there's a compelling argument for each. The M21 has very few transit options around it but low ridership, while the M8 has relatively close transit options but higher ridership. So even though there was a fair amount of outcry about the M8, the MTA went with the route with fewer options around it. Personally, I think it was a bad choice, since that current M21 has very little ridership and weekend Houston traffic is vastly worse than 8th Street, but oh well.

This still isn't set in stone, so hopefully we could see both? :mellow:

The B57 shouldn't be extended, hopefully the (MTA) sees to alternatives.

I'm happy for those who got the services restored in their neighborhoods. I wish I could be a part of the celebration but Co-op City was ignored in the restoration of services. I don't know if I should be mad at the (MTA) but I know that the majority of my anger is at my neighborhood for not protesting enough about these cuts. I'm baffled by it but what can i do? It is what it is.

What's strange to me is that with there being so many services not being restored in this plan, why would the (MTA) create new bus routes instead of restoring everything that they cut? That just doesn't make sense to me, but this is the (MTA).

I can't believe you're complaining. The BxM7 runs like water during most parts of the day and you've got several local buses in Co-op City. Talk about ungrateful. They're not complaining because there is nothing to complain about!

Lets have one of those split-ups again, B57 is southern portion from Downtown Brooklyn to Red Hook, and B58 Northern Portion from Downtown to Maspeth. I know the route is long, but it should not be split up really unless everyone gets off at Downtown on the current B57 and another crowd of passengers come on the Bus to Gowanus

One small problem with that....

There is more demand for bus service along atlantic av [west of court st], columbia st, and van brunt st (basically, the current 61) than there is for smith/court sts..... the latter is why they got rid of the 75; too many patrons in that area resort to taking the F/G instead of even considering the bus.....

Saying it another way, your "B57" split here would draw in less people than the current B61 routing b/w Red hook & downtown brooklyn.....

- The bulk of the riders riding your splitted route from the south to downtown would be Red Hook patrons themselves...

- You may get some 61 riders emanating from areas east of the smith/9th station that'd xfer to the 57 for a more direct ride into downtown...

.....but the combination of those two aforementioned sets of riders won't be nearly enough to justify keeping your "b57" split afloat..... It would pretty much have to take a swath of red hook riders that currently ride (the B61) out to the F at smith & 9th, to abandon getting off (the B61, or the soon to be extended B57) at smith & 9th for the subway and riding the bus out to downtown instead, for that split to flourish..... Sorry, but I don't see that happening....

And for sure, current patrons that reside around court/smith sts in cobble hill, etc. aren't gonna all of a sudden start taking the 57 to/from downtown, due to a SOUTHWARD extension - that's a reason to refrain from taking the 57 more than they do now !

^^ All that, and I didn't even bring up the fact that (as CheckmateChamp pointed out) the 57 runs less frequent than the 61 does.....

So to sum it all up, the B57 doesn't have the ridership to opt to split the route up.....

The old 61 b/w queens & red hook (as much as I disagreed with it), did......

Threxxbus--

I agree about the 57....What I think they should do is shorten the B61 (Ikea to Downtown BK) as it was a couple years ago. Reroute it so that it terminates at Boreum Place/Joralemon st (people can cross to get the 2,3,4,5 at Borough Hall and just walk a couple short blocks to get the A,C,F,R at Jay st-Metrotech). The DOT should create an area on Boerum Place/Adams st where the bus can make a U turn and get back into service quickly.

They should bring back the B77.....extend it so that it replaces the old B75 route in Park Slope or simply have them turn around at Bartel Pritchard Sq with the B68.

The B77 was a LIFELINE--a very efficient and reliable route and served its purpose well. Especially with the Smith and 9th st station closing, that bus would have been the life support people need to get to the 4th av station. Why the MTA cut that route is mind-boggling.

I am definitely writing this to the MTA.

Also, a B51 on the Brooklyn Bridge going to West St (as was mentioned) would be excellent.

One small problem with that....

There is more demand for bus service along atlantic av [west of court st], columbia st, and van brunt st (basically, the current 61) than there is for smith/court sts..... the latter is why they got rid of the 75; too many patrons in that area resort to taking the F/G instead of even considering the bus.....

Saying it another way, your "B57" split here would draw in less people than the current B61 routing b/w Red hook & downtown brooklyn.....

- The bulk of the riders riding your splitted route from the south to downtown would be Red Hook patrons themselves...

- You may get some 61 riders emanating from areas east of the smith/9th station that'd xfer to the 57 for a more direct ride into downtown...

.....but the combination of those two aforementioned sets of riders won't be nearly enough to justify keeping your "b57" split afloat..... It would pretty much have to take a swath of red hook riders that currently ride (the B61) out to the F at smith & 9th, to abandon getting off (the B61, or the soon to be extended B57) at smith & 9th for the subway and riding the bus out to downtown instead, for that split to flourish..... Sorry, but I don't see that happening....

And for sure, current patrons that reside around court/smith sts in cobble hill, etc. aren't gonna all of a sudden start taking the 57 to/from downtown, due to a SOUTHWARD extension - that's a reason to refrain from taking the 57 more than they do now !

^^ All that, and I didn't even bring up the fact that (as CheckmateChamp pointed out) the 57 runs less frequent than the 61 does.....

So to sum it all up, the B57 doesn't have the ridership to opt to split the route up.....

The old 61 b/w queens & red hook (as much as I disagreed with it), did......

Though the statements below the bolder part signifies that I do not want to split up the B57

Archived