Authorities rush to assess damage from Second Ave. subway blast

Harry

[float=left]post-5097-0-97272400-1345578809_thumb.jpg[/float]A Second Ave. subway construction blast on the upper East Side left city agencies scrambling to assess potential structural damage to surrounding buildings Tuesday afternoon, officials said.

The FDNY, Department of Buildings, NYPD and the MTA were on scene at E. 72nd St. and Second Ave., evaluating the condition of the site after the underground explosion about 12:45 p.m., officials said. There were no reported injuries.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-97272400-1345578809_thumb.jpg

but they need the 2nd ave subway badly, its needed, so they have to deal with it, The (MTA) is paying their rent so they can deal with it, i rather have a new subway line than to be crushed on the (4), (5) and (6)

Deal with what exactly??? Flying rocks and debris??

Also, I don't know where you're getting this about the (MTA) paying their rents... Apparently you're not aware of how many businesses along Second Ave. have went under. Yes, the (MTA) has tried to help out long after many businesses have went under, but the help that they're providing for the amount of lost business and suffering these businesses have faced is minimal at best. This SAS project along with the recession is just destroying businesses all along the Avenue and helping to keep the unemployment rate high.

Yes, the subway is needed, but there have been far too many incidents with this project and the work done has been a disaster to put it lightly.

@Via G: You do know that incidents like this one are very far and few in between for this project, right? The only other incident that I can remember that is pretty serious (besides the noise complaints) was when that dust was billowing out from underground. Also, you do realize this is a construction zone, right? People are going to be inconvenienced. It isn't the 18th hole at a golf course. It's not going to be that quiet and unfortunately, some businesses may fall under because of less foot traffic. Things like that really can't be remedied unless the project is cancelled. And that's not an option.

@Via G: You do know that incidents like this one are very far and few in between for this project, right? The only other incident that I can remember that is pretty serious (besides the noise complaints) was when that dust was billowing out from underground. Also, you do realize this is a construction zone, right? People are going to be inconvenienced. It isn't the 18th hole at a golf course. It's not going to be that quiet and unfortunately, some businesses may fall under because of less foot traffic. Things like that really can't be remedied unless the project is cancelled. And that's not an option.

Well it's just interesting that this project has had so many issues... Haven't heard of any issues with the (7) line extension nor the LIRR East Side project where people are fleeing for their lives or fearful for their health, if that's what you call an "inconvenience". Because this is the Upper East Side they're told that they complain too much for being concerned about air quality, noise pollution (yes there is such a thing), and debris flying about and dust; that this is the way things are and basically that they should suck it up and accept it, which is ridiculous. The impact that the (MTA) is having on the area will affect them for YEARS to come well after the (MTA) is gone (whenever that is). I don't know of any construction site where residents should be fleeing for cover from debris and rocks flying about, do you? If this "the norm" then clearly the (MTA) should've taken more steps to block off areas that are in harms way.

As far as I'm concerned, yes, things do happen, but whether you want to blame the (MTA) or the contractors working under the (MTA), someone should be held responsible and someone should have answers and lately no one seems to have any. Still didn't quite hear anything about the air problems. It's like it was swept under the rug. It seems like when they come into communities, often times they just do as they please with little regard to the impact that they have and your stance seems to be that because the (MTA) has to do construction work, that these communities should just allow them to come into their neighborhoods and do as they please. Sorry but I disagree. It isn't just the Upper East Side. It has been various communities where the (MTA) has had to come in and did construction work and have done nothing but create chaos (i.e. Bay Ridge). For all the talk that you give, I don't think you would be so quick to say that they should suck it up if this was happening in your community.

Seems like the explosion didn't go as planned, instead of blowing one by one, the dynamite portions exploded simultaneously, thus causing increase in overall power of the impact. Or it could have been simply miscalculated for larger/thicker portion of soil. If this was at ESA or 7 extension it simply could have been left unnoticed, but since its in the center of the city you even get the photos, the only way to get more attention to a construction site was to put it on Times Sq. Anywhoo, you don't hear much about accidents on other sites since they are in relatively isolated areas, that also answers air/noise pollution concerns.

Someone times ago said the SAS is cursed, reluctant at first, with time the certainty expressed in my sig has dropped a great deal.

The Upper East Siders are a bunch of pansies anyway. Stuck in their multi-million dollar condos and they're complaining about a little dust.

My guess is a dynamite charge misfired or something. It happens. That's the nature of having a construction site *under* a very densely populated area. The sooner people stop complaining and let the crews get the job done the sooner their lives will be back to normal, with tons more customers given the new subway line.

The Upper East Siders are a bunch of pansies anyway. Stuck in their multi-million dollar condos and they're complaining about a little dust.

My guess is a dynamite charge misfired or something. It happens. That's the nature of having a construction site *under* a very densely populated area. The sooner people stop complaining and let the crews get the job done the sooner their lives will be back to normal, with tons more customers given the new subway line.

And so what you think only Upper East Siders frequent the area?? Don't be ridiculous. Regardless of the neighborhood, if there is a problem which there clearly is here it shouldn't be overlooked.

Cut and cover is a safer method overall. Although it would block 2nd Avenue traffic, cars could easily be rerouted. M15 could be rerouted. Is cut and cover cheaper though?

Easily, i don't think so.

The tunneling with TBMs is done as the least disruptive way of building a subway line. While you can go deeper, this method will not cause any disturbance on street level(other than entrance construction), there are other problems; and the biggest is how to transport people from surface to platform efficiently.

Maybe it will make the cavern big enough for the originally planned third track with two island platforms. I was hoping some kind of error would happen (as they always do somewhere) so that it would still be built in that form.

Me too. I was hoping that the 2 Av Subway would have 3 tracks in it from the start all the way down. A peak directional Express on the (Q). Or even if they did not put any platforms on the track, they could use itfor yard moves, NIS trains. They could also just use it as a bypass peak directional for the (Q) from 72 St straight to 125 St. If they put platforms, but no (Q)(T) service on the track, they could use it during GOs.

2 Av Express

Hanover Square

Grand St

Houston St (Optional)

14 St

42 St

55 St (Optional)

72 St

96 St

116 St (Optional)

125 St

Well it's just interesting that this project has had so many issues... Haven't heard of any issues with the (7) line extension nor the LIRR East Side project where people are fleeing for their lives or fearful for their health, if that's what you call an "inconvenience". Because this is the Upper East Side they're told that they complain too much for being concerned about air quality, noise pollution (yes there is such a thing), and debris flying about and dust; that this is the way things are and basically that they should suck it up and accept it, which is ridiculous. The impact that the (MTA) is having on the area will affect them for YEARS to come well after the (MTA) is gone (whenever that is). I don't know of any construction site where residents should be fleeing for cover from debris and rocks flying about, do you? If this "the norm" then clearly the (MTA) should've taken more steps to block off areas that are in harms way.

As far as I'm concerned, yes, things do happen, but whether you want to blame the (MTA) or the contractors working under the (MTA), someone should be held responsible and someone should have answers and lately no one seems to have any. Still didn't quite hear anything about the air problems. It's like it was swept under the rug. It seems like when they come into communities, often times they just do as they please with little regard to the impact that they have and your stance seems to be that because the (MTA) has to do construction work, that these communities should just allow them to come into their neighborhoods and do as they please. Sorry but I disagree. It isn't just the Upper East Side. It has been various communities where the (MTA) has had to come in and did construction work and have done nothing but create chaos (i.e. Bay Ridge). For all the talk that you give, I don't think you would be so quick to say that they should suck it up if this was happening in your community.

Maybe cuz the ESA and the (7) extension isn't being done in a residential neighborhood compared to the SAS...just saying

I agree with Lance. Simply put such a major undertaking will bring it's problems as with any major construction project or even minor ones regardless. Particularly with the tough geological terrain that Manhattan brings in this construction venture forcing the necessity for blasting as opposed to other methods of underground building of tunnels. It's unfortunate that such a mishap had to happen and fortunately no one got hurt. But hey the Second Avenue line has to get built. The question is really how the City of New York will compensate for the unintentional damages incurred from the accident and what measures the engineers will undergo so as to prevent out of control blasts like this one in the future.

Maybe cuz the ESA and the (7) extension isn't being done in a residential neighborhood compared to the SAS...just saying

What difference does it make? The point is that whether it is densely populated, residential or commercial, the same amount of caution should be taken. These guys are way too relaxed over there or shall I say SLOPPY. Before the explosion occurred, apparently one worker pulled a person passing by over and told the person "Want to see something cool?" The next thing you know boom... That person was caught up in that explosion and had he been hurt, I wouldn't be surprised if he would've wanted to sue. You're working in a dense area... The idea is to keep people AWAY, not bring them closer to the construction site.

I agree with Lance. Simply put such a major undertaking will bring it's problems as with any major construction project or even minor ones regardless. Particularly with the tough geological terrain that Manhattan brings in this construction venture forcing the necessity for blasting as opposed to other methods of underground building of tunnels. It's unfortunate that such a mishap had to happen and fortunately no one got hurt. But hey the Second Avenue line has to get built. The question is really how the City of New York will compensate for the unintentional damages incurred from the accident and what measures the engineers will undergo so as to prevent out of control blasts like this one in the future.

The real issue here is not enough is being done to protect the community. Not enough questions being answered and not enough precautions being taken and not enough being done to compensate the loss that this community is dealing with. Yes, the SAS must be done, but the neighborhood doesn't have to be destroyed in the process.

I don't see why everyone is so heated if it didn't destroy a building... It's not as big of a deal if it had blown up one

And you know this because? Buildings were deemed to be sound but buildings were indeed damaged... Broken glass everywhere... Residents have been complaining about cracks in their walls and are concerned about the foundation of the buildings they live in now due to the constant blasting. Allegations of damages were also made when the (MTA) undertook work on the Brighton Line. Windows broken, backyards messed up... Of course no one wants to pay for damages if they can get away with them so you try to keep things hush, which is exactly what the (MTA) has been doing. Now Joe Lhota has said that an investigation will be done as to what went wrong (apparently reports say that worker error was to blame), but I want to see what the end result of this investigation will be.

Archived