G train motorman

M31clinton

^^^^

It might not be her story--it could be DNs interpretation. They have bungled stories like this before. Sometimes the writing can be very incoherent (for advanced readers, anyway).

Here is a snippet:

"One moment Lisa Rice was holding little Liam’s hand on the G-train platform at the 15th St./Prospect Park station, heading home after a day at school. The next moment, Liam was on a departing train and she was screaming on the platform for the train crew to stop."

I don't understand how the kid could get on the train without her. Wasn't she holding his hand?

I guess the assumption is that either she led him on to the train (still holding his hands) or he broke free and went on the train.

Crappy DN writing. LOL.

If the kid got on the train, why didn't she simply follow?

The conductor might have thought that she was just a typical NYC crazy upset that she missed the train--not that the train had her son.

These things don't happen that often.

Also, the station is curved. The conductor might not have seen everything. He might not have heard everything either--maybe another train was pulling into the station.

As a kid, my parents and I often discussed and memorized what to do in case something like this happened to us - if I was on the train, then I would get off at the next station and wait for my parents to take the next train to that station. I don't remember what we would do if my parents were on the train, but I believe that I would wait at that location for them to return - at the next station they'd cross over to the next platform and take the next train back. I was a buff from an early age ;)

But if a situation like the one described above happened to me, I wouldn't hesitate to charge the doors if I would be separated otherwise.

I believe it. I had a T/O and or C/R (it was in OPTO, idk what to call him) like that on the 4th of July. He kept trying to close the doors while people were still trying to get on. Everyone got mad at him, even track workers that got on at Classon cuz he was trying to close the doors on them

As a kid, my parents and I often discussed and memorized what to do in case something like this happened to us - if I was on the train, then I would get off at the next station and wait for my parents to take the next train to that station. I don't remember what we would do if my parents were on the train, but I believe that I would wait at that location for them to return - at the next station they'd cross over to the next platform and take the next train back. I was a buff from an early age ;)

But if a situation like the one described above happened to me, I wouldn't hesitate to charge the doors if I would be separated otherwise.

Same here. My mom always had a different stop for each trip. Usually it was either 168th (since that used to be my stop), or if it was a route we didn't take often (i.e. the (D)), we would just get off at the next stop, regardless of who was on the platform, and who was on the train.

I actually was a bit different, I know my way home and around New York during 7 years old and actually usually arrive at the doorsteps or at the destination, before my parents did, if I arrive home early, I often had to stay at neighbor's homes because parents were still in Manhattan or somewhere else, lol.

Da faq did I just read?

FAQ?!? Frequently Asked Questions?!?

This happened to me once. I had gotten off the (Q) at Church Av with my aunt to transfer for what was a rare R68 (B) train at the time when the Brighton Express was full of R40s. The conductor had just finished making his announcement and was about to close the doors, so I rushed on, thinking that my aunt was right behind me. The doors closed and I saw my aunt on the platform. I got off at Prospect Park and waited for the train to come, and thank God, they were in the first car of that (Q).

Wow, if that was true, that was quite ruthless by the conductor.

I don't know, something seems fishy of her story. From all my encounters conductors usually reopen to doors if someone is about to get caught in between.

Well, I've seen it happen quite some times here in The Netherlands and I also heard stories from this happening once in a while in Belgium and Japan. So I wouldn't be suprised if it also happens in NYC. Maybe this story was a bit fishy but point remains valid: these things happen.

First i like to say to the mom "Are you aware these doors will open and close quickly? Did you ever ride the subway before?"

Second It not the conductor or motorman fault. It the mom by not paying attention to what going on. These two (MTA) employee are not your babysitter.

Third the station have a curve in it . The conductor dosen't know what going on in your situation when he is looking at the CCTV. All they want to do is to keep the train moving from one stop to next.

I hate those that just throw a story up here and have no comment, then even puts the wrong title in the thread.

When you say title, do you mean subject line? Before posting a comment, I wanted to hear opinions and comments from others before making my own judgment since the are both MTA employees and the riding public here that will chime in. There are 3 sides to the story, woman's version, TO's version, and the truth. My opinion is there was fault on both sides. The woman was probably one of those riders that think doors are open forever and the TO (probably not a parent) did what he had to do to keep the train moving. Lesson learned for both.

When you say title, do you mean subject line? Before posting a comment, I wanted to hear opinions and comments from others before making my own judgment since the are both MTA employees and the riding public here that will chime in. There are 3 sides to the story, woman's version, TO's version, and the truth. My opinion is there was fault on both sides. The woman was probably one of those riders that think doors are open forever and the TO (probably not a parent) did what he had to do to keep the train moving. Lesson learned for both.

Um the G train runs with a T/O and C/R during the weekdays..

So Julio Points stands have a nice day...

Um the G train runs with a T/O and C/R during the weekdays..

So Julio Points stands have a nice day...

Not only that, with the Conductor being in back (R-46s when I worked it, R-68s now I believe?) he could hear yelling and can see the entire platform even after his final sweep. I think the mother didn't want to take responsibility. Is that your child? You don't let that child's hand go!!! That's love... I can't rip the door off but I'd be damned if I'm going to let myself be separated from my child at the cost of, what, dirtying my hand!? It's rubber, not matte-finished blades. No one on board thought to pull the cord, either? At his age he probably felt comfortable going ahead and grabbing a seat.

Side note; R-68s have the fastest doors in the BMT/IND/IRT. Period.

Archived