DesignLine Commuter Coach Discussion

Cait Sith

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That doesn't indicate anything regarding an actual refund for the entire contract. Could be a penalty.

Seems to me like the furlough is still on though. No one will be working at the company.

Damn. I honestly don't know what to say. And to think I saw like 17 CNG's at the scrap lot up in Union City, and like 3 DesignLines on the turnpike.

Maybe Orion is right. I mean we could end up getting new MCI's. It sucks that I never got to ride the ECOCoach though.

I thought a company was supposed to be selling them?

Perhaps they're not there for scrap...

Alot of ppl saw this coming. They won a contract by default cause they was the lowest bidder and didnt even have a proven bus, which leads me to say thats why they was the lowest bidder. MCI is a proven builder. The whole awarding contracts to a lowest bidder should be axed. Why in the hell would you award a company who isnt even in the coach market. Smdh

With these older D4000s/D4500s falling to shit who knows what njt is thinking, im not happy with this place anymore. Pay up the money and get proven buses, you already had mci cng cruisers shouldnt that be enough said.....

And to be honest they are almost saving nothing with the natural gas. When you add in maintance, and to get it trucked in. Waste of money imo. The entire fleet is diesel with only a handful on cng buses hahaha njt have idiots in the office.

Alot of ppl saw this coming. They won a contract by default cause they was the lowest bidder and didnt even have a proven bus, which leads me to say thats why they was the lowest bidder. MCI is a proven builder. The whole awarding contracts to a lowest bidder should be axed. Why in the hell would you award a company who isnt even in the coach market. Smdh

Not even gonna lie, from the start I had a feeling something bad was gonna come out of all this. When the pilot came, I thought "Well maybe I could've been wrong about this bus." But it's August 2013 and we only have 16 on property (caught 7216 on the turnpike today) and we should've had up to at least 7230.

With these older D4000s/D4500s falling to shit who knows what njt is thinking, im not happy with this place anymore. Pay up the money and get proven buses, you already had mci cng cruisers shouldnt that be enough said.....

Well I doubt NJT is gonna make that mistake again. We could just as well end up with CTH's (that's like the umteenth time I've said that lol) or just plain CT's. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with D4505's.

Not even gonna lie, from the start I had a feeling something bad was gonna come out of all this. When the pilot came, I thought "Well maybe I could've been wrong about this bus." But it's August 2013 and we only have 16 on property (caught 7216 on the turnpike today) and we should've had up to at least 7230.

Well I doubt NJT is gonna make that mistake again. We could just as well end up with CTH's (that's like the umteenth time I've said that lol) or just plain CT's. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with D4505's.

We should have ALL the buses by now. They were due back in spring.

D4505s are for private companies, not public sector commuter service. A number of CTHs are due to be ordered soon though.

As for the CNG situation, we will be seeing 76+84 CNGs in Howell eventually, the 76 is obviously on hold for now until NJT takes action but the 84 is scheduled for award soon and should be awarded to MCI, and with MCI they come in quick. The 84 new MCI CNGs will obviously end up being the MCI 102 CNGs' replacement, with the 76 buses coming in later unless NJT is quickly able to make a new order.

We should have ALL the buses by now. They were due back in spring.

D4505s are for private companies, not public sector commuter service. A number of CTHs are due to be ordered soon though.

As for the CNG situation, we will be seeing 76+84 CNGs in Howell eventually, the 76 is obviously on hold for now until NJT takes action but the 84 is scheduled for award soon and should be awarded to MCI, and with MCI they come in quick. The 84 new MCI CNGs will obviously end up being the MCI 102 CNGs' replacement, with the 76 buses coming in later unless NJT is quickly able to make a new order.

Like MCI is guaranteed to have the order awarded to them.........

Like MCI is guaranteed to have the order awarded to them.........

Actually, with the upcoming contract, they kinda have this in the bag.....unless of course, NJ Transit decides not to pony up the extra dough for the MCIs, especially since the cost has went up in some retrospect.

Actually, with the upcoming contract, they kinda have this in the bag.....unless of course, NJ Transit decides not to pony up the extra dough for the MCIs, especially since the cost has went up in some retrospect.

MCI is basically the only one NJT can afford. I doubt they'll order any buses from Prevost since they don't do CNG. But as I stated before, we best watch and see what happens.

If they know whats good for them they better pony up the extra cash.

Several CNGs are in the storage/scrap lot next to Meadowlands. Definitely looks like more than the amount of Designlines we have in service so far, so I guess the tanks are expiring.

7033 is parked in front of the depot over there, just had it the other week too.

Were the MCIs' liveries covered up with black or gray spray paint?

In all seriousness this could end up being very bad for NJT. With the CNGs starting to time out and no buses coming from Design Line what are they gonna do with Route 9....run NABIs? MCI Sales and Service doesn't have a big inventory of W/C D4500s hanging around like the last time NJT needed them because everybody has been scrambling to buy those buses. They screwed up big time by being cheap and those Route 9 commuters are gonna be royally upset.

In all seriousness this could end up being very bad for NJT. With the CNGs starting to time out and no buses coming from Design Line what are they gonna do with Route 9....run NABIs? MCI Sales and Service doesn't have a big inventory of W/C D4500s hanging around like the last time NJT needed them because everybody has been scrambling to buy those buses. They screwed up big time by being cheap and those Route 9 commuters are gonna be royally upset.

Of course, the buses don't have to be bought from MCI Sales.

Of course, the buses don't have to be bought from MCI Sales.

If you want a bus (or buses) that have been gone through with a fine tooth comb and are gonna be able to go right into service then you want to buy from MCI. Plus remember they aren't really gonna buy as much as lease....not too many smaller used dealers are gonna go for that deal. MCI will because they'll just refurb em again and still get top dollar for them.

I see a couple things possibly happening if an MCI shortage hits Howell:

-Academy (and the private carriers) are forced to give up some MCIs

-Academy and maybe Surburban contracted to pick up the slack on Route 9 until NJT can straighten out this mess.

-MCIs being pulled from other garages such as Fairview,Market St,Washington Twp and Newtown Av and those garages being backfilled with NABIs and RTSs pulled out of retirement.

-NABIs being run on Route 9

Discuss.......

If you want a bus (or buses) that have been gone through with a fine tooth comb and are gonna be able to go right into service then you want to buy from MCI. Plus remember they aren't really gonna buy as much as lease....not too many smaller used dealers are gonna go for that deal. MCI will because they'll just refurb em again and still get top dollar for them.

I see a couple things possibly happening if an MCI shortage hits Howell:

-Academy (and the private carriers) are forced to give up some MCIs

-Academy and maybe Surburban contracted to pick up the slack on Route 9 until NJT can straighten out this mess.

-MCIs being pulled from other garages such as Fairview,Market St,Washington Twp and Newtown Av and those garages being backfilled with NABIs and RTSs pulled out of retirement.

-NABIs being run on Route 9

Discuss.......

Not sure if you know this, but Academy is already contracted to provide much of the rush hour 13x runs. Howell can't handle the whole route as it is now. Of course, if they have to they'll hire Academy for more runs and they have plenty of buses to cover it (they should be able run more of their state fleet on the 13x's and the Js and whatnot more on their own routes without affecting any of their other services or charters).

If that happens (NABIs on 9), there will be WAR on Route 9. That CAN NOT HAPPEN period.

Not sure if you know this, but Academy is already contracted to provide much of the rush hour 13x runs. Howell can't handle the whole route as it is now. Of course, if they have to they'll hire Academy for more runs and they have plenty of buses to cover it (they should be able run more of their state fleet on the 13x's and the Js and whatnot more on their own routes without affecting any of their other services or charters).

If that happens (NABIs on 9), there will be WAR on Route 9. That CAN NOT HAPPEN period.

Come on guys, I doubt NJT would send Howell NABIs.

I think NJT should lease MCIs. That's basically the best option.

If they have too they WILL run NABIs on rt9. They are not banned from there. A bus is a bus wether rt9 pax like it or not.

This is what cheap does to you, puts you ina shit storm. Because of this mess buses WILL be pulled from Washington Twp and Newton Av, and they are already short on buses as is. Those 2 garages are always left in the hole. Theyve been getting more nabis but when you take away buses that was gained the same problem comes back. Sheesh the 400/403 had to cancel runs because their wasnt enough buses. That cant happen on rt9. You cancel a run.....well lets just say i dont want to picture that.

NJT needs to get this sorted out quick cuz time is something they dont have.

Come on guys, I doubt NJT would send Howell NABIs.

I think NJT should lease MCIs. That's basically the best option.

You need w/c mcis how many of those are just sitting around.....

Axe this damn cng program costing more then saving.

If they have too they WILL run NABIs on rt9. They are not banned from there. A bus is a bus wether rt9 pax like it or not.

This is what cheap does to you, puts you ina shit storm. Because of this mess buses WILL be pulled from Washington Twp and Newton Av, and they are already short on buses as is. Those 2 garages are always left in the hole. Theyve been getting more nabis but when you take away buses that was gained the same problem comes back. Sheesh the 400/403 had to cancel runs because their wasnt enough buses. That cant happen on rt9. You cancel a run.....well lets just say i dont want to picture that.

NJT needs to get this sorted out quick cuz time is something they dont have.

You need w/c mcis how many of those are just sitting around.....

Axe this damn cng program costing more then saving.

They can take MCIs from those other depots and let them put NABIs out on their MCI routes where chances are the pax would give much less of a damn. Not to mention that the Howell drivers would have to be trained for the NABIs, that is if we work anything like the MTA does.

The CNG program just has the trouble it has now because they ordered from DesignLine and not MCI. It would be extremely costly to ditch the CNG equipment in place at Howell anyway.

Archived