MTA quits countdown clocks in favor of 'Bus Time'

N6 Limited

I'm assuming the move is to cut costs, ultimately. Installation of countdown clocks I believe are much more costly then Bus Time apps because of the sheer price of the hardware itself along with labor and maintenance costs of the clocks installed at major locations. Call it a sensible cost saving upgrade in technology for real time monitoring of bus location and timing.

Edit: OK read the article in full, that's exactly what the MTA stated as the reason.

I'm not a huge BusTime fan. There have been times where my Bx12 +SBS never showed up on BusTime and i'm sure this is happening with other routes as well. There is no way to make sure every single bus is being accurately located and if that's not the case it really doesn't make sense to use BusTime.

I want proof for this. In the article there is not a single quote from an MTA employee, nor a single statistic.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/mta-prefers-bus-time-countdown-clocks-article-1.1217360

Not for nothing, this has been announced before....

So I'm going to need a smartphone just for this?

Any phone that can send and receive a text message can get Bus time info. It just wont be as thorough as the smartphone app.

I'm a big proponent of Bus Time, but I'm getting really annoyed with how many ghost buses there are of late. It's almost like daily already. I'm on a bus now that isn't showing up on Bus Time...

Are you on android or iPhone? Are you using an app or the MTA site directly?

Are you on android or iPhone? Are you using an app or the MTA site directly?

I always use the desktop version on my Android. I've been in touch with (MTA) Bus Time team a lot of late and they are still working out some kinks. They got messed up with the hurricane and have been playing catch up, but I hope things turn around because there's been at least one bus missing on Bus Time that I can't track every so many days here of late and it's especially annoying because it's happening during in morningmainly, although sometimes on the weekends too. Last weekend on Saturday I couldn't track any buses I was trying to take. Really ridiculous. They do a good job of fixing them, but they should have something that automatically notifies them when the hardware or software malfunctions. My goal is to use this and integrate it into my commute because it's EXTREMELY convenient so that you're not wasting your time waiting at the bus stop if for example you know your bus is running late.

I'm not a huge BusTime fan. There have been times where my Bx12 +SBS never showed up on BusTime and i'm sure this is happening with other routes as well. There is no way to make sure every single bus is being accurately located and if that's not the case it really doesn't make sense to use BusTime.

Apparently there isn't anything in place to see when the software or hardware isn't working, which I agree is a problem. I always contact them when there's a problem but sometimes I feel like I'm becoming a pest because of late I've been e-mailing several times a week. The bottom line is when the damn thing works it's great hence why I want the problems fixed! I hope someone is reading this and that they're working on coming up with something that can indeed notify them when there is a problem because the average passenger that uses this will just b*tch that it doesn't work but they won't write to (MTA) Bus Time and tell them what the problem is so that they can fix it.

Wait until the MTA finally hotwires the subways in full for wireless networking access. Would they stop installation of countdown clocks underground too then? Makes me wonder sometimes...

That would be interesting. I think it's different though because stations serve more people and they are (usually) protected from the elements

Edit: and there are a lot less stations than bus stops :).

I says all these programs are failures. I mean come on what if you don't have a smartphone or your phone doesn't have the technology to do bus time? Count down clocks was already a failure because not all stops have a shelter and there are still many black bus shelters around. And what if the thing freezes and there is always going to be a fool who breaks something. The reason why I say bustime is going to fail is because its only good for some ppl and not all. You dont expect a 8 or a 9 year old with a $300-500 dollar phone right?

I says all these programs are failures. I mean come on what if you don't have a smartphone or your phone doesn't have the technology to do bus time? Count down clocks was already a failure because not all stops have a shelter and there are still many black bus shelters around. And what if the thing freezes and there is always going to be a fool who breaks something. The reason why I say bustime is going to fail is because its only good for some ppl and not all. You dont expect a 8 or a 9 year old with a $300-500 dollar phone right?

Total utter BS who doesn't have a smartphone obviously you were under a rock more and more people are getting smartphones thus rendering your stance obsolete. In 10 years your argument would become utterly invalid as everyone will soon get a smartphone. Only cavemen with useless trash will be left out. If ur job can't pay for a smartphone you need to quit and get a better one. These programs are more widely used than you think. Most smartphones of today don't freeze as often or at all. Get one and stop living in the 1990s.

Total utter BS who doesn't have a smartphone obviously you were under a rock more and more people are getting smartphones thus rendering your stance obsolete. In 10 years your argument would become utterly invalid as everyone will soon get a smartphone. Only cavemen with useless trash will be left out. If ur job can't pay for a smartphone you need to quit and get a better one. These programs are more widely used than you think. Most smartphones of today don't freeze as often or at all. Get one and stop living in the 1990s.

No.

It's soo funny how people like you are all talk but when someone does it back to you, you act all stupid trying to figure out how to keep your ground.

First of all the part about me living under a rock is very immature and neccessary. Secondly how would you know everyone's life status? People like you need to stop assuming stuff because that's how ppl get into a lot of trouble. Your assuming that I work at a low paying job and hate on anyone who has better than me. Well did you ever think that I still go to school and maybe my mom doesn't want me to have a phone? I'm guessing u did not so you need to slow down get a life a girl and find out the facts before you run your mouth.

LOL at this conversation. I'm staying out of this.

That would be interesting. I think it's different though because stations serve more people and they are (usually) protected from the elements

Edit: and there are a lot less stations than bus stops :).

I'm sure the MTA will delay the QBL countdown clock project too then with this advance in technology that will kill it thanks to advances with wireless. Yeah I just hit you with a random post about subways off topic I know.

The fact of the matter is that times are changing and most people these days have a smart phone. I'm on my 13th or 14th smart phone. It's a generational thing for the most part... When I'm at the stop waiting for an express bus I'm usually the youngest one there unless there's a college kid or something waiting with me, but I see adults older than me using Bus Time, though it's clear that some don't even pay attention to it or just don't think about it, as in they can't be bothered and would rather just wait even if that means waiting unnecessarily when they could track the bus. For those that don't have a smart phone you can use the mobile version and receive text messages of where your bus is so the whole smart phone thing is just ridiculous and if you're too cheap to pay for text messages then too bad. Seriously, I could see folks complaining about cell phones when I was growing up but now and days you can get one for free when you get a cell phone plan. I would rather them do this than spend thousands of dollars going around trying to constantly update hundreds of bus stops with technology that will probably continue to have added features and updates.

BusTime works with any phone that can send and receive text messages. There's no need for a smartphone. It also works from any computer with an Internet connection.

I don't want to get to the bus stop and only then find out that the bus is 20 minutes away. I want to find that out before I leave home. BusTime is better than signs mounted at bus stops only.

The thing with the countdown clocks is that they were highly unreliable due to the dynamics of the city. I use to try out the countdown clocks on 34th street and would see the time and it would say bus due or bus is 2 mins away and you could see the buses but they wouldn't get to the stop for 5-7 mins because of traffic. Countdown clocks is not good for buses.

The fact of the matter is that times are changing and most people these days have a smart phone. I'm on my 13th or 14th smart phone. It's a generational thing for the most part... When I'm at the stop waiting for an express bus I'm usually the youngest one there unless there's a college kid or something waiting with me, but I see adults older than me using Bus Time, though it's clear that some don't even pay attention to it or just don't think about it, as in they can't be bothered and would rather just wait even if that means waiting unnecessarily when they could track the bus. For those that don't have a smart phone you can use the mobile version and receive text messages of where your bus is so the whole smart phone thing is just ridiculous and if you're too cheap to pay for text messages then too bad. Seriously, I could see folks complaining about cell phones when I was growing up but now and days you can get one for free when you get a cell phone plan. I would rather them do this than spend thousands of dollars going around trying to constantly update hundreds of bus stops with technology that will probably continue to have added features and updates.

True the countdown clocks for buses are a waste of money soon smartphones will be the only phones. I used similar tracker apps on websites when I was in CT and DC area that had their trackers long before MTA had bustime so I was able to know if I could make a connection from MNRR or not at bridgeport.

It's soo funny how people like you are all talk but when someone does it back to you, you act all stupid trying to figure out how to keep your ground.

First of all the part about me living under a rock is very immature and neccessary. Secondly how would you know everyone's life status? People like you need to stop assuming stuff because that's how ppl get into a lot of trouble. Your assuming that I work at a low paying job and hate on anyone who has better than me. Well did you ever think that I still go to school and maybe my mom doesn't want me to have a phone? I'm guessing u did not so you need to slow down get a life a girl and find out the facts before you run your mouth.

DUDE I am sure they may get you one soon your a teen but soon you will have one don't worry so much I didn't see your age. As for my ground not even gonna waste time and energy on petty crap. I think VG8 already explained it to you perfectly so I don't have to.

LOL at this conversation. I'm staying out of this.

I'm sure the MTA will delay the QBL countdown clock project too then with this advance in technology that will kill it thanks to advances with wireless. Yeah I just hit you with a random post about subways off topic I know.

True I would just outright cancel the obsolete project.

Archived