Why not more artics on MTA buses?

blazer

the m42 might get artics in the near future when the next ordersof artice come,. there will be atotal of 256 buses ordered because of the 90 xd60's they will have some where between 20-25 extra busses after they replace the 260 2000-2002 nfl's 60's.

Having artics on the M42 would be pure hell during rush hour.

The M116 needs to be a all artic again

As a regular rider of the 116, there's no way the route needs to be all artic. Rush Hours/School Hours and maybe the late night trips from the mall, yes. But all other others no. 126/MHV do pretty well with the route and most of the load for the route is between the mall and Lenox.

Also, the Bx3 in AM Rush towards 238 is extremely packed and afternoon rush hrs to GWB, recently they have started to put 1 or 2 artics on the Bx3.

This is also happening on the M100 while ive seen on youtube videos of the LFSA on M100 also Artics which is good. I do believe that 40' buses should get atleast 1 artic in both directions rush hrs time only, specially kb routes.

Also, the Bx3 in AM Rush towards 238 is extremely packed and afternoon rush hrs to GWB, recently they have started to put 1 or 2 artics on the Bx3.

This is also happening on the M100 while ive seen on youtube videos of the LFSA on M100 also Artics which is good. I do believe that 40' buses should get atleast 1 artic in both directions rush hrs time only, specially kb routes.

Artic have been on the 100 for awhile now.

There are not enough artics.

The M116 needs to be a all artic again

There are not enough artics. BTW, the M116 is not the most packed route in the world without them.

• 2 weeks later...

I rode the M42 and I noticed it is very overcrowded. I wish that the artics would be sent in. However they should not run 100% fully artics maybe during the rush hours/ weekends middays use the artics other times use the hybrid buses.

No wonder that M42 is the slowest bus route ever! I walked all the way from Times Square to the Intrepid Museum and not a single West Side Pier bound M42 came only 4 U.N bound M42 went by. I beat the M42!

What in the world are you talking about??? The M42 could use artics at certain times of the day...

Only during the rush hour I can see it use artics. Those low floor Orions make the trip rather painful for a rider to have to fight their way out of the bus.

A bike can easily beat any Manhattan bus route. A bike can go at least 15mph, doesn't have to make constant stops, and doesn't get caught in traffic.

I remember when the M6 was running and I would ride my bike up 6 Av from Chambers all the way up to the park at often I would beat the bus up there.

...except for that time where I hit that lady but that's another story lol

• 2 months later...

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="jgood6195" data-cid="630520" data-time="1357773554"><p>

What do ya'll think about that idea? I believe the B35 has more than enough riders to support artics.Maybe XN60 CNG artics for Gleason (can they support 60footers?). Maybe they could have a test fleet of 90. 45 for Gleason, 45 for West Farms.</p></blockquote>

No, Gleason would have to go through a huge retrofit to be able to support artics which they probably don't want to do. Westfarms, maybe...

I could see them doing this eventually though.

I'd prefer if they didn't. I'm not a fan of artics as usually it means a decrease of frequencies. If given the choice, I'd rather have more rigids as it most often means a increase of frequencies. All an artic does is move the crowding to a larger vehicle.

Larger buses = larger crowds. (At least in my experience).

Archived