Why not more artics on MTA buses?

blazer

M96, M31 amongst many other overcrowded and slow routes in Manhattan need articulated buses!!!! at least during rush hour when kids are trying to get to school and people trying to get to work. Why do most crosstown routes in Manhattan have artics and not the M96?

MTA Bus (the member) beat me to it.... while not all day obviously, they do run artics on M31's....

As far as artics on the M96, IMO, it doesn't really warrant them enough...

Other routes out of 100th st Tuskegee airmen need the artics more (M86, M101-M103)... M96 not nearly as much.... M106, not at all.....

M96, M31 amongst many other overcrowded and slow routes in Manhattan need articulated buses!!!! at least during rush hour when kids are trying to get to school and people trying to get to work. Why do most crosstown routes in Manhattan have artics and not the M96?

You gotta remember that the M96 crosstown was at MHV (the only non-artic having depot in all of MaBSTOA) before Tuskegee took it over at the beginning of this year. And now that Tuskegee had the route, they probably can't really spare the artics being that all their previous routes were all artic. Not to mention the fact that their might be clearance issues with the underpass the routes has to pass under in central park.

The M96 may not necessarily warrant artics, but in morning Rush Hour some buses can get pretty crowded. Lexington Av is a pretty big stop for people heading West. You already have buses deadheading from Tuskegee Airmen to the West Side, so the MTA could run those in service and add extra service for pretty much nothing.

It's kind of amusing seeing crowded M96s next to Not In Service deadheading buses. It also makes me glad I don't have to take the 96.

You gotta remember that the M96 crosstown was at MHV (the only non-artic having depot in all of MaBSTOA) before Tuskegee took it over at the beginning of this year. And now that Tuskegee had the route, they probably can't really spare the artics being that all their previous routes were all artic. Not to mention the fact that their might be clearance issues with the underpass the routes has to pass under in central park.

I don't think they are any clearance issues since those D60HFs are 11ft tall, exactly the height limit for the transverse. I think it's more the first thing you said, just would be too many buses. I don't think TU could fit 135 artics + 15 or so O7s for the M106, which is prolly close to what it'd work out to. You'd have to use the upper floors more, and traffic going to the ramp is already a pain for ops pulling out of there. If anything, they could have used artics while out of Quill, but they decided not to.

M96 is not slowed all the time.

M96 is slow now because of SAS Construction and TA B/O had go through narrow streets of 96th and 97th Sts in SAS Zone.

Properly artic will not be possible now b/c of construction narrowing streets.

M42 is another busy bus routes that always overcrowded and never had artic.

Bus schedules are written so that the loads on the buses fall within guidelines. If buses are truly overcrowded, it's usually either because there's a service disruption or because ridership has increased during a particular time period since the last time loads were checked (on local buses, loads are checked every two years).

When artics are introduced to a line, service is made slightly less frequent, since fewer buses are needed to accommodate the same number of riders. Artics certainly don't speed up service - with more people on each bus, dwell times are potentially slightly longer, and buses are less likely to skip stops.

M96 is not slowed all the time.

M96 is slow now because of SAS Construction and TA B/O had go through narrow streets of 96th and 97th Sts in SAS Zone.

Properly artic will not be possible now b/c of construction narrowing streets.

M42 is another busy bus routes that always overcrowded and never had artic.

Yes M42 can be a busy route but at least there is the alternative of the 7 or shuttle to get crosstown. 96 St doesn't have that option.

MTA Bus (the member) beat me to it.... while not all day obviously, they do run artics on M31's....

As far as artics on the M96, IMO, it doesn't really warrant them enough...

Other routes out of 100th st Tuskegee airmen need the artics more (M86, M101-M103)... M96 not nearly as much.... M106, not at all.....

from what i can see, there is only 1 artic on M31 at any given time

Back around 2005-2007 , I remember I did see a D60HF on the M96. It was running via the Park. I think at that time it was an MJQ route. (Correct me if im wrong)

The M96 could use ether additional buses or an artic. PM is hell on that route, especially at CPW [EB], 5th / Lex [EB]. Sometimes I just wait for the M106 (less frequent, but better), if im heading east..

Back around 2005-2007 , I remember I did see a D60HF on the M96. It was running via the Park. I think at that time it was an MJQ route. (Correct me if im wrong)

The M96 could use ether additional buses or an artic. PM is hell on that route, especially at CPW [EB], 5th / Lex [EB]. Sometimes I just wait for the M106 (less frequent, but better), if im heading east..

The only time I remember the M96 going to Quill was after the June 2010 cuts, then it eventually went back to MHV before Tuskegee.

• 2 weeks later...

The only time I remember the M96 going to Quill was after the June 2010 cuts, then it eventually went back to MHV before Tuskegee.

Nah, West Side/Quill has had those routes before. West Side had the M96 and M106 in the late 90s, and I know Quill had the M96/M106 from 2002 to mid-2004 or so. Can't remember if they got it back any later than that and my memory's rough on whether or not they had it for 2000 and 2001, but 2010 definitely wasn't the first time Quill had those routes.

Nah, West Side/Quill has had those routes before. West Side had the M96 and M106 in the late 90s, and I know Quill had the M96/M106 from 2002 to mid-2004 or so. Can't remember if they got it back any later than that and my memory's rough on whether or not they had it for 2000 and 2001, but 2010 definitely wasn't the first time Quill had those routes.

Oh, well thanks for the clarification. I wasn't aware that Quill had those routes before.

Archived