New Jersey Transit - Random Thoughts Thread

Orion VII 4 Life

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are the Vanhools from Omega Express? That's the company Academy subcontracts Javits shuttles to during rush hour when they have no buses.

Not sure, but they're not as nice looking as Omega Express's Vanhool fleet....they're all white T2145s that look like they've been picked up from a Chinatown company.

After the ride I took on 7166 yesterday my advice to everybody is not to sit in that back row on the 7100s. I felt like my whole ass was on fire. Even with the AC on everybody sitting back there was drenched!

Hey Silk City Transit,

How is Oradell to work out of. I know they lines are heavy but I would rather work somewhere like that.

Edited by SevenEleven

Hey Silk City Transit,

How is Oradell to work out of. I know they lines are heavy but I would rather work somewhere like that.

Oradell is a great garage.  I made full time there, coming from Market Street as a part timer (Market Street had no f/t openings when I applied).  Everybody said that was a very good move.  

All Bergen County-New York, all MCI's.  The 163, 165 and 166 you will work and work hard.  If you do the 5 on the weekend, don't even bother with the paddle except maybe to keep track of the number of trips.  Boulevard East will destroy your schedule, but it is what it is.  The 167 is not bad at all, one of my favorites actually.  I prefer the T over the Q because it's a straight shot up and down Teaneck Road with a stop at Glenpointe and no Union City.  The Q (referred to as "K" on the paddle - don't ask me why) is a little more local, servicing Union City, then Overpeck and Lower Teaneck Road, Queen Anne, State St, and so forth.  Then during the week you have the bad-ass sounding "177X Armory Express" which basically runs nonstop between the Port and the Teaneck Armory, then local stops the rest of the way.  Some of the weekend 167 runs are set up weirdly so that you do, say, Chestnut Bend - PABT; PABT - Chestnut Bend; then deadhead back to the Port; PABT-Chestnut Bend; deadhead again with an hour layover, then one last trip.  

The 164 is kind of quiet heading inbound until you hit Summit and Essex - that's where it joins the 163 and from there on in you'll get slammed, especially on Saturday mornings.  The hotels on Paterson Plank Road/Route 120... whoo nelly!  Be prepared for tourists from all parts of the country and the world, $20 bills, offers of $50's (which we DO NOT accept!) and very special "WTF" moments, like the guy who tried to pay for his whole family with a Discover card, and I'm like, "...........I don't even know how to respond......"  Also, watch out for people trying to stuff money into the receipt slot on the fare register.  Yes, I've seen it.  More than once.  At stops like that, pull up and pull the parking brake because it's gonna be a while.  

168 is also kind of quiet, but has an annoying long-term detour in Hackensack and Teaneck because of the Anderson Street/Cedar Lane bridge weight restriction.  

Also, especially on weekends, you WILL have people with luggage, bikes, strollers and other large items who will ask to use the luggage compartment.  That's perfectly fine.  Be sure to keep it locked, though, this way they will be forced to ask you.  I know some operators don't want to be bothered opening it and leave it up to the customer but personally I want to be the one responsible for opening it and closing it properly and seeing what goes under there, and also to ensure they don't hurt themselves or bang their heads.

All of the lines are "full service", meaning we collect money and give change.  It is IMPERATIVE that you memorize where each and every zone change is!  And be good with counting money and giving change - it sounds overwhelming at first but trust me you'll be rocking that change holder like second nature in no time.  Here's the secret - say somebody gives you a $5 for a $2.35 fare.  You bang out $.65 from the change holder - "Here's 3 - " then count your singles - "4, 5".  Another example - a $10 for $4.25 - 3 quarters is 5 - then singles - 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.  

One last thing - don't worry about staying on schedule.  I know this sounds odd, but 90+% of the time, it is completely unrealistic.  Heavy traffic and ridership will throw you AT LEAST 10-15 minutes behind.  I've said if you're running 10 minutes late on the 165, you're doing great.  Oh, and if you do PM rush hours, you WILL be on 10th Avenue, and sometimes 12th Avenue, for upwards of 1 hour, getting into the Port at least an hour after you were supposed to leave.  Fact of life.  

Hope this helps!

After the ride I took on 7166 yesterday my advice to everybody is not to sit in that back row on the 7100s. I felt like my whole ass was on fire. Even with the AC on everybody sitting back there was drenched!

In the warm months the 7100s have a problem with heat in the rear. Sometimes them fans dont come on when they suppose to.

CBF91A96-C9E0-42C2-85FB-349FFE120A89.jpg

ECBAF2B0-1307-4215-8D94-3CF513207B57.jpg

Lol the looks i got when i pulled up to the gate with the 129 sign on lol

Silk City Transit,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like Oradell is not a bad place to be. I'm at ShortLine so I know all about the unrealistic schedules and such. We deal with the same over here. The only reason why I'm even considering leaving is because of the lack of pension. The only other thing holding me back from applying is the fear of getting thrown somewhere like Orange or Big Tree. If I could get Oradell,Wayne or Ironbound I would be over in a heartbeat.

553, Dude we were on Rt.3 from Union City to Moonachie and I swear it was a furnace back there. Normally my regular schedule has a 40fter so there is usually no problem like that. The driver said today we'll see more 7100s on the 161 because the buses have problems making up the hills to Warwick in the summer.

Silk City Transit,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like Oradell is not a bad place to be. I'm at ShortLine so I know all about the unrealistic schedules and such. We deal with the same over here. The only reason why I'm even considering leaving is because of the lack of pension. The only other thing holding me back from applying is the fear of getting thrown somewhere like Orange or Big Tree. If I could get Oradell,Wayne or Ironbound I would be over in a heartbeat.

553, Dude we were on Rt.3 from Union City to Moonachie and I swear it was a furnace back there. Normally my regular schedule has a 40fter so there is usually no problem like that. The driver said today we'll see more 7100s on the 161 because the buses have problems making up the hills to Warwick in the summer.

ever considered truck driving?

Silk City Transit,

Yeah the 71s are horrible getting up hills. They even have trouble going up the hill at the start of the ac expressway. Fully loaded forget about it your not picking up no kinda speed til you hit that downgrade.

Question on Bus Railroad Crossing.

Just curiosity does all bus suppose to open the door to get good view of the track on their right? I saw lot of local NJT bus driver open the door but the academy didn't.

All buses are to come to a full stop and door open. No rolling the stop. However its not enforced. When something happens it will be. We have regionals that sit at the pleasantville terminal watching our rr stops. You roll its a write up.

Edited by 553 Bridgeton

Silk City Transit, how is the 164 split between Oradell and Market St? I remember hearing that Market St does the "X" and Oradell does the local but I'm not certain if that's right because that means Oradell does not do the 164 during the rush hours at all.