Welcome to the 2013 Major & Minor League Baseball Thread

alejr88

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Jacoby Ellsbury

If Cano knew what was good for him, he would stay in NY. NY is where the spotlight is. Yankee Stadium is a perfect fit for him. No one can hit HRs in Safeco. He will get endorsement deals in NY. His family in the Dominican Republic would need to fly 7.5 hours to get to Seattle but only 3.5 hours to get to New York. Cano and his amateur agent Jay Z should quit being so greedy.

hate to be the bearer of bad news... but robbie cano is going to seattle  10 years 240 million  f*** you steinbrenner boys, and randy levine its times like this i wish george was still here

No, this is good news. 10 yrs is too damn long. Last thing the team needed was another over the hill guy retiring at 40+. Cano was asking for too many years. It's time the team stopped giving out bad long term contracts. Cano's going to regret it in a few years plus the endorsement deals he'll likely lose because he's not a Yankee and playing for a terrible Mariners team. 

They're better off getting a cheaper player for 2b and save the money for a pitcher. With the starting rotation as thin as it is. I think Gardner could be trade bait for a starter so that they can clear an OF spot.

Good move by the Yankees to not try to match that ridiculous contract. Within a few years time, this will be a Albert Pujols/ARod/Prince Fielder-type liability.

After seeing how the Yankees honored Mariano Rivera and Andy Pettitte, and will do the same for Derek Jeter shortly, I don't know how Cano doesn't think "I want to go out like that." Nope. Instead, he'll go out looking like a greedy bastard who fled the only team he's ever known for a team that is years from contention. Nice job, Cano.

If you ask me, the Mariners are just gonna pull off a 2004 Texas Rangers move in about 3 years, eat their losses, then trade him. The Yankees will be waiting... and the Mariners will be paying a nice big chunk of that contract. Oh right, thanks Seattle for the extra draft pick. It'll come in handy.

As for Granderson, there is no chance he was going to resign anyways, especially after the Ellsbury signing. Once again, thank you for the extra compensation draft pick. We lost two for McCann/Ellsbury and we will get two back at the end of the first round.

Indeed. I like Cano, but not the ransom he was asking for. His greed will be his downfall. He won't have the numbers he would have if still here. I don't totally remember how he did early this season when everyone was injured, but I don't think he was able to put the whole team on his shoulders the way Ortiz or Miguel Cabrerra can. so his shot to prove he's capable of being an mvp of a powerless lineup wasn't so good, now with an unknown Mariners lineup....? Finally, as great as he is, he sometimes doesn't hustle to 1st base and has been absent in the playoffs (almost as bad as Swisher, but maybe a few more hits). So all in all, if the Mariners wants him so bad, so be it. Yankees would be stupid to try to outbid the Ms when they still have ARod (who I wished would take even a 162 game suspension) still on the books. We don't need another Pujlos or Hamilton. Long term contracts especially over 7yrs is too risky. Even the Elsbury deal makes me a little nervous.

Maybe b/c I got a hell of a lot more on my mind lately, but I'm not even enthused by any of this about the Yankees...

Guess I'll say this much (and this is all off the top of my head.... as usual)....

I snickered when Ellsbury became a Yankee, because him being here was a suggestion that was initially started by color commentators.... Didn't think it would actually "stick".... Personally, I think Ellsbury (and McCann) are overrated....

The second I heard about Cano wanting a ridiculous ass contract (10 years, 200 whatever million), I gave up on him even wanting to be a Yankee... I'm quite sure he was cognizant of A-Rod's (failed) contract..... Bad contracts don't become good contract just because you're the younger player... A bad contract is a bad damn contract, and MLB (or should I say, the franchises/teams) need to stop.... Aint no one worth all this money, I concur with - and have long done so; from athletes to actors to, whatever...... So with Cano, to me, it's good riddance to bad rubbish..... I won't say he'll turn into a bum overnight, but watch how quickly he'll be forgotten - I'm not just talking about amongst the Yankee faithful either.... It's the SAME shit that happened to Pujols.

Acquiring McCann was a move done out of sheer desperation.... Not much else to say about this; it's obvious they needed an MLB caliber catcher... Lol.... What I wish sports media would stop doing is exalting this guy like he's Mike Piazza, or at least, the 2nd coming of him.... He's the best catcher of/from the given situation & that's it...

Acquiring Beltran.... Someone explain this one to me, because I don't get this acquisition at all..... Is mgmt. basically inadvertently puttin it out there that they have little to no faith in Ellsbury being/staying healthy for most the season? Or something else.....

I wonder how the Yankees will do in 2014...

They still need pitching... None of these recent acquisitions/dismissals address this.....

Don't know about the upcoming season in particular, but somewhere way in the back of my mind, I think the Steinbrenners (the brothers; hank & hal) are gonna sell the team somewhere within the next 5 years.... They're not "baseball people"; they can vehemently deny wanting to do so (on fat boy's [mike francesa] show) all they want - I'm not "buying" what they're "selling"....

(double entendre totally unintentional)

Mccan, I figure is sorta like Posada type, maybe the ~20homers but slightly decent fielding. Basically the Yankees screwed themselves by letting Martin go and have Mccan here to replace him.

Ellsbury, yeah, doesn't make much sense. I don't think even Boston is all that pissed about losing him. THey're likely happy to get a draft pick and restock their farm.

Getting Beltran also seems like desperation to replace the loss of Cano since they caved on the 3rd year thing. But I still think they should either move Soriano to 2b or perhaps the Yankees may use Gardner for a trade deal. They have too many OFs and Ichiro and Wells aren't going to hold up the bench and DH spots. I mean do they expect Wells to play 3b if Arod doesn't come back?

Yes, pitching is a big must. Even getting Kuroda back, you just pray he wasn't going all the way down hill and can at least have a half decent season again. THey really need another starter because Phelps is not a 5th starter. He's a good spot starter, but maybe at best 5innings per game probably.

This is very smart on the Yankees. Instead of signing Cano to that ridiculous amount of money, they've spent almost the same amount on Ellsbury, McCann, Kuroda, and Beltran.

Beltran will play mostly RF with Soriano will be the Yank's primary DH.

Soriano is too old to be playing 2B. He hasn't played that position regularly since 2005, and he's been used only 4 times at 2B since then.

McCann is a good catcher, so they've got that covered. Ellsbury will man CF.

Gardner can now be used as trade bait for SP or for a 2B. Kelly Johnson isn't enough. However, Gardner could feasibly do LF, and leave Ichiro and Wells as expendables.

I fail to see what all the uproar is about Robinson Cano leaving the Yankees. From what I've read he accepted an offer worth $65 million more than the Yankees were willing to pay him. Last time I looked pro sports were a business and he made a business decision. I think one would have to very naive to say he should have remained in pinstripes. Someone earlier mentioned endorsement deals in New York. What athlete other than Jeter or Eli Manning has a lucrative deal in NY ? Let's face it, now that George has passed on the sons have no real interest in the Yankees and the team is heading toward becoming average at best. I'm sure Cano saw the handwriting on the wall before the everyday fans did and he cashed in. To all those who say he could have become the face of the Yanks ( after Jeter retires ) I still say it's a business deal and nothing more. Babe Ruth was the face of the Yanks, Jackie Robinson was the face of the Brooklyn Dodgers, Willie Mays was the face of the Giants, and Walt Frazier was the face of the Knicks. They were all traded anyway. If the Yankees could have got two good starting pitchers for him they would have kicked him to the curb and most fans would have cheered the team. Sometimes loyalty = sucker. My opinion though. Carry on.

The Steinbrenners are not into it? They just blew $283 million for three all stars. And they aren't finished. Not even close

What athlete other than Jeter and Eli have a lucrative deal? Lets take a look:

Alex Rodriguez, Third Baseman, New York Yankees: 10 years $275 million

Jacoby Ellsbury, Center Fielder, New York Yankees: 7 years $153 million

Brian McCann, Catcher, New York Yankees: 5 years $85 million

CC Sabathia, Pitcher, New York Yankees: 7 years $161 million (with possibility to go up to 9 years, $211 million)

Mark Teixeira, First Baseman, New York Yankees: 8 years $180 million

David Wright, Third Baseman, New York Mets: 8 years, $138 million

Curtis Granderson, Center Field, New York Mets: 4 years, $65 million

Johan Santana, Pitcher, New York Mets: 6 years, $137.5 million (recently bought out)

Victor Cruz, Wide Receiver, New York Giants: 5 years, $43 million

Will Beatty, Left Tackle, New York Giants: 5 years, $38 million

Santonio Holmes: Wide Receiver, New York Jets: 5 years, $45 million

Mark Sanchez: New York Jets, Quarterback, 5 years $58.25 million

Amare Stoudemire, Power Forward, New York Knicks, 5 years $100 million

Carmelo Anthony, Small Forward, New York Knicks: 3 years, $65 million

Tyson Chandler, Center, New York Knicks: 4 years, $58 million

Kevin Garnett, Power Forward, New Jersey Nets: 3 years, $34 million

Rick Nash, Right Wing, New York Rangers: 8 years $62.4 million

Ilya Kovalchuk, Left Wing, New Jersey Devils: 15 years, $100 million

And this doesn't even cover all of them.

Three years ago, Derek Jeter wanted an outrageous 6 years $150 million. The Yankees countered with 3 years, $45 million, $100 million less than what Jeter wanted. Sound familiar? They compromised at 3 years $51 million with an option to go to 4 years $60 million. I think most fans expected Cano to compromise in order to stay in New York. However, with reports surfacing yesterday that Cano told his  teammates that he was only going to take the deal with the most money, how do you think that sounds to fans? It makes him sound greedy.

The Steinbrenners are not into it? They just blew $283 million for three all stars. And they aren't finished. Not even close

What athlete other than Jeter and Eli have a lucrative deal? Lets take a look:

Alex Rodriguez, Third Baseman, New York Yankees: 10 years $275 million

Jacoby Ellsbury, Center Fielder, New York Yankees: 7 years $153 million

Brian McCann, Catcher, New York Yankees: 5 years $85 million

CC Sabathia, Pitcher, New York Yankees: 7 years $161 million (with possibility to go up to 9 years, $211 million)

Mark Teixeira, First Baseman, New York Yankees: 8 years $180 million

David Wright, Third Baseman, New York Mets: 8 years, $138 million

Curtis Granderson, Center Field, New York Mets: 4 years, $65 million

Johan Santana, Pitcher, New York Mets: 6 years, $137.5 million (recently bought out)

Victor Cruz, Wide Receiver, New York Giants: 5 years, $43 million

Will Beatty, Left Tackle, New York Giants: 5 years, $38 million

Santonio Holmes: Wide Receiver, New York Jets: 5 years, $45 million

Mark Sanchez: New York Jets, Quarterback, 5 years $58.25 million

Amare Stoudemire, Power Forward, New York Knicks, 5 years $100 million

Carmelo Anthony, Small Forward, New York Knicks: 3 years, $65 million

Tyson Chandler, Center, New York Knicks: 4 years, $58 million

Kevin Garnett, Power Forward, New Jersey Nets: 3 years, $34 million

Rick Nash, Right Wing, New York Rangers: 8 years $62.4 million

Ilya Kovalchuk, Left Wing, New Jersey Devils: 15 years, $100 million

And this doesn't even cover all of them.

Three years ago, Derek Jeter wanted an outrageous 6 years $150 million. The Yankees countered with 3 years, $45 million, $100 million less than what Jeter wanted. Sound familiar? They compromised at 3 years $51 million with an option to go to 4 years $60 million. I think most fans expected Cano to compromise in order to stay in New York. However, with reports surfacing yesterday that Cano told his  teammates that he was only going to take the deal with the most money, how do you think that sounds to fans? It makes him sound greedy.

If you're posting this in response to my post I specifically spoke about endorsement deals. I hope I made that clear. BTW is it true that Cano is going to a state with NO income tax ?  Q- If you or I was his financial advisor, CPA, or agent, what would be our fiduciary duty to our client ? A- Take the money and run. I know I oversimplified it but you get the drift.

that cant be true? cause jeter was pissed off  that leaks were saying he was demanding an exhuberant amount of money   and there were inside sources saying cano hated girardi as said here

http://yanksinexile.com/posts/35233

^That is simply being self centered. You do what is best for the team. I can't stand players who only care about their own value over what was good for the team. Cano never hustled. Now with a fully guaranteed 10 year contract, he won't even try. MLB needs a system like the NFL where a team can cut players with little to no repercussions.. It keeps them motivated. Albert Haynesworth was cut one year into a 7 year $100 million contract. Something like that would never be able to happen in baseball.

As for the lack of income tax, Seattle makes it up with an outrageous 9.5% sales tax. And if Cano wants to go take his money, go ahead. He will be on a team that has been stuck in mediocrity for the past 12 years, hitting with little to no protection in the lineup, and still years away from contention. Not to mention Safeco Field will make him go from 30Hr a year to 20HR hitter. If I was an opposing manager, I would just intentional BB him every time I'm in a jam because the rest of the Seattle lineup can't hit. I hope he has fun.

Like I said a few pages ago, the Mariners will pull off a Texas Rangers and trade him in a few years. He won't help them do squat in a division dominated by the Rangers and Athletics.

^That is simply being self centered. You do what is best for the team. I can't stand players who only care about their own value over what was good for the team. Cano never hustled. Now with a fully guaranteed 10 year contract, he won't even try. MLB needs a system like the NFL where a team can cut players with little to no repercussions.. It keeps them motivated. Albert Haynesworth was cut one year into a 7 year $100 million contract. Something like that would never be able to happen in baseball.

As for the lack of income tax, Seattle makes it up with an outrageous 9.5% sales tax. And if Cano wants to go take his money, go ahead. He will be on a team that has been stuck in mediocrity for the past 12 years, hitting with little to no protection in the lineup, and still years away from contention. Not to mention Safeco Field will make him go from 30Hr a year to 20HR hitter. If I was an opposing manager, I would just intentional BB him every time I'm in a jam because the rest of the Seattle lineup can't hit. I hope he has fun.

Like I said a few pages ago, the Mariners will pull off a Texas Rangers and trade him in a few years. He won't help them do squat in a division dominated by the Rangers and Athletics.

In the real world the team does what is best for the team. The individual player does what's best for the player. Sometimes the goals coincide, sometimes they don't. That's the way of the sports business. I seem to remember a Seattle baseball team with a Griffey and a Rodriguez. They also had Ichiro Suzuki, didn't they. Funny thing is that all of them moved on to other teams. They did what was best for them at the time. IIRC Ken Griffey, Junior came back to the Mariners to finish out his career and I don't recall the fans hating him for leaving. Why the hate for Cano ? Those players did what's best for them. Ellsbury, Cano, Damon, or Lebron James or  Peyton Manning in other sports. They move on on their terms or get dumped by the team. Look at Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts. You have your opinion and I have mine. I'd rather have the money 'cause most sports teams have no loyalty. Carry on.

Archived