B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

main thing to get thru the 10 day training is listen to your instructor

drive slow don't be in a rush ,scan your mirrors 3-5 seconds,look out and call out anything hazardous around you ,keep your 4ft from cars parked on right and the curb,take your time when making either left are right turns

day 6 was today for me hope you doing well this for

I got sent to day 8 and 9 what should I prepare for does anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Congrats to all that made it, good luck to the ones on their 7-10 day training.

A little update on myself as a crossover from OA into TA.

Was appointed on 7/10/17 as TA, filed the transfer same day.

Worked at my depot (Ulmer Park) until 7/29/17 (Saturday) with Sunday off.

Started line training with 4 other transfers from Brooklyn on Monday 7/31/17

In total there were 23 new students and 5 transfers that Monday.

23 students are now line training separately.

The transfers and I are line training together with a union rep for the next four weeks.

Just thought I'd let you guys know just in case someone else wants to go through the crossover or transfer.

i qualified today glad i made it 

how soon do i need to resign from my job

ASAP. Training is the hardest part. In addition, if you watch this video, in between 1 minute, 20 seconds and 1 minute, 30 seconds, there is a higher percentage of people who fail the training.

Congrats!!

th

ASAP. Training is the hardest part. In addition, if you watch this video, in between 1 minute, 20 seconds and 1 minute, 30 seconds, there is a higher percentage of people who fail the training.

Congrats!!

thanks young for all knowledge mta don't give the chance to give your job a 2 week notice

congrats man,was eveything perfect during your trainimg

congrats see you there

thanks humbleguy38 everything wasn't perfect in the training but i improved everyday 

Thank you, I believe everyone except for like 2 or 3 of the students were forced into Staten.

Congrats to you and welcome to Staten Island. Did all the new people get forced over or did they pick? That's a lot for one class so I'm guessing they were forced.

Congrats!!

i watched the video why does 23 % of ppl hired fail out of initial training and why does 11% of fail out of probation

i watched the video why does 23 % of ppl hired fail out of initial training and why does 11% of fail out of probation

Its not easy operating in the streets of New York. Transit tries their best to train you to operate the safest way as possible. Sadly only the best of the best candidates will either make it through the intense initial 10 days qualification training process and some will make it through probationary period.

Once you're out there on your own thats when the challenge begins dealing with other motorists, pedestrians, and being over confident making unsafe maneuvers. You also face dealing with passengers on a daily base. The job is hard at the beginning but as time flies you will see it gets easier.

Its not easy operating in the streets of New York. Transit tries their best to train you to operate the safest way as possible. Sadly only the best of the best candidates will either make it through the intense initial 10 days qualification training process and some will make it through probationary period.

Once you're out there on your own thats when the challenge begins dealing with other motorists, pedestrians, and being over confident making unsafe maneuvers. You also face dealing with passengers on a daily base. The job is hard at the beginning but as time flies you will see it gets easier.

thank @nyctbeast your absolutely right ,the main the thing is too take your time once your on the job don't speed and be alert of whats going on around the bus

Edited by +Young+
Formatting purposes...

Anyone who went to Day 10 could tell me what it's going to like so I could be prepared?

Two Superintendents - one will be in the front with you, the other one will be seated towards the exit door towards the middle of the bus. The route will consist of local streets and bus stops - no pre-trip, no backing up, no acute or obtuse turns, no el-pillars. As soon as they see an unsafe incident/occurrence, they will pull you over and that will be it.

My advice, just like everyone else said: Do what you were taught. In addition, my two cents are:

-Keep your head physically moving (I used my eyes and the Superintendent accused me of not checking my mirrors every 3 to 5 secs)

-Call everything out, regardless of how stupid it sounds

-When passing by another commercial vehicle, make sure to sound your horn

-Cover your right - put yourself on the white line - don't worry about the NYPD pulling you over or any DMV examiners

-Go slow (IMHO, 20 MPH so you'll have time to react to hazards)

-If you think you can squeeze into something, just stop and wait - you're not being timed for this at all

In the end, if you felt that you were being taken advantage of by your instructor for whatever reason, just note that, especially if you get terminated, you can write a nasty letter to either 2 Broadway, DMV or the Governor's office elaborating on your experience. That's what I did - and I'm sure they (2 Broadway) were happy to learn that my instructor close to 3 & 1/2 years ago never wore his seat belt...

Edited by +Young+

yes i agree that the 10 day training was tuff for me especially since i have never driven anything bigger than a uhaul truck

when i get on my own i can imagine how challenging it would be I'm just going to take my time and don't rush are speed

I was speaking to a bus operator on friday he said its best to take the bus to zerega i live in oceanside long island so i would have to take the q44 from merrick and archer

that what i did to get to zeraga also i drove and found park over parsons blvd and 20th av and took the q44 to zeraga 

what the are sum of the good depots in Brooklyn to consider

Edited by mastap123

yes i agree that the 10 day training was tuff for me especially since i have never driven anything bigger than a uhaul truck

when i get on my own i can imagine how challenging it would be I'm just going to take my time and don't rush are speed

that what i did to get to zeraga also i drove and found park over parsons blvd and 20th av and took the q44 to zeraga

what the are sum of the good depots in Brooklyn to consider

Good Depots? Its all a preference..... like myself I left ENY depot and went to Flatbush since its literally 5 mins away from home by car and nice good walking distance on a nice calm day. So everyone has a reason to what depot maybe the best for them. Your first year count so pick somewhere wise if you get the chance too. Probation period you can't be late or have attendance problem so this is why if you get the chance to pick a depot, make a wise choice.

I believe both ENY and Freshpond has the most bus lines in brooklyn. I know ENY for sure has about 10 -12 bus routes and that is not included with the school trippers routes.

Edited by TheNYCTBeast