B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

ur correct andima try and hang on but listen if im payin union dudes someone should be able to represent me to help me bc thats what im payin for instead they just back up and keave u alone ... as i explain my situation just bc the complaint came from a wheel chair customer there tryn extend me 6 more months in probation and they sayin if im bit happy with that then my other option is to leave the job... and honestly all i did was that i loaded the people in the bus first and then loaded the wheel chair so i didnt have to wry about the people walkin in on me while im tryna tied my wheelchair and so the wheel chair customer says that they are priority and that i had to get her in the bus first abd i explain to her why i did it that way and she said that the law says there first and i tried speakin to her and apologizin and she still made the complain and transit is makin a big deal about nothin bc ok they have priority but in the end thats nothin is not like i crash or anyone felt or anythin like that but they have they way of doin things and since im on probation and they can basically do what ever they want with u while ur on probation i guess thats why they want to give me that hard hit ..and i really woukd want to have to work u der this pressure for an extra 6 months on top of the 7 i have left is like startin all over basically which sucks ... every driver in long time says that they are makin things harder and harder every day and not tryna work to help anyone bc so much people want the job..

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Woosahhhh!

Its ok just take it easy bro. Every depot union is different. I can say at my depot whether you are a probie or not they will go to the max to defend you and thats why I love Flatbush.

Just keep in mind this is a challenging job and you can do this. Don't let management pressure you. At the moment you still belong to the school room and your motive is to operate the bus safely and forget the paddle. You can do this.......

I only have 2 more months to go and trust me its getting easier and I still have pedestrians and motorist doing crazy things every day. I just stay focus and think about making my two month.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The management is very tuff on u they want to put too much pressure on you instead of makin u feel comfortable while ur on probation.....

ur correct andima try and hang on but listen if im payin union dudes someone should be able to represent me to help me bc thats what im payin for...

Wow...first of all, you just remind me of my horrible 10-day training session, in which seven of those days, from 2/11/14 to 2/19/14 was with Superintendent Nelson Hernandez out of the Flatbush Depot...in addition to sounding off on this here, I also got the impression that in his retirement, he wanted to collect two [2] pensions - not only his own, but he really wanted to confiscate my father's pension as well, as a result of him working for Transit for 39 years...gees...and he got away without wearing a seat belt whenever he drove an MTA bus?

Like @frankblk said in post #5175, it sounds like you're stressing yourself out more than anything. Honestly, from going through the training session back in 2014, Supt. Hernandez never said anything about loading the wheelchair passenger first. I just learned that the other day when I was taking the Q46 bus to go somewhere, respectively. Therefore, if I qualified, I would have made the same mistake as you.

All I can say is try to put the stress behind you and realize that it's a good job - learn from your mistake, concentrate on the next thirteen months and you'll be fine.

Offhand, what depot are you in? Hopefully this will be a learning lesson for all of the potential Bus Operators to not pick into your Depot since your Depot Union does nothing to protect the rookies...

Mta is the only city agency that hires you and rite away looks for any reason to fire you. The job sucks definitely lol but the money is good n I think that's why people stick around. Most bus drivers are miserable. My uncle spent 32 yrs and tells me everyday how do you do it with today's rules. Alot has changed over the years it gets stricter by the day. After that girl with the parking brake there's been superintendent riding probies more n more. It sucks to operate a bus and watching over your shoulder looking to see who's watching you.

Mta is the only city agency that hires you and rite away looks for any reason to fire you. The job sucks definitely lol but the money is good n I think that's why people stick around. Most bus drivers are miserable. My uncle spent 32 yrs and tells me everyday how do you do it with today's rules. Alot has changed over the years it gets stricter by the day. After that girl with the parking brake there's been superintendent riding probies more n more. It sucks to operate a bus and watching over your shoulder looking to see who's watching you.

You are absolutely right about getting fired quicker than any other agency. But the job does pay well and probably at the moment pays high and faster promotion than any other agency. Also keep in mind we're not consider city, we are titled as government employee.

I picked into kb which i hear is one of the best here in the bx the number 1 depo people say is gunhill and then kb and last westfarms.. ur right i might be stressin myself out more but no matter how hard we try or i should say i try theres just things that get to me people do so much dumb things out there that they get to u , u ask somethin of them nicely and they want to give attitude is alot to it .. i guess u have to be in to understand exactly what my point is ... ima try and continue with this im onlu still here bc of the benefits nothin else ...

You are absolutely right about getting fired quicker than any other agency. But the job does pay well and probably at the moment pays high and faster promotion than any other agency. Also keep in mind we're not consider city, we are titled as government employee.

I picked into kb which i hear is one of the best here in the bx the number 1 depo people say is gunhill and then kb and last westfarms.. ur right i might be stressin myself out more but no matter how hard we try or i should say i try theres just things that get to me people do so much dumb things out there that they get to u , u ask somethin of them nicely and they want to give attitude is alot to it .. i guess u have to be in to understand exactly what my point is ... ima try and continue with this im onlu still here bc of the benefits nothin else ... but u should all give it a try we all have different personalities so certain things u may handle easier than me an etc .. im just tryna share my experience for u guys that are goin threw the process now thats all so u know what to expect bc i though it was different until i got to the real world

I wonder if that girl got her job back if im not mistakin last time i heard they were tryna help her get the job back bc that was bad ..

About todays rules ur uncle is correct look at those cameras they say the cameras are there to protect us bullshit the first thing transit does when they want to get u in trouble is pull the cameras and use what ever they can get from it against u .. they have all this crazy rules and things are tuff but i guess i should say things are like this bc of all the old drivers they were probably doin so many f**k ups that transit had to get tuff i guess .. but yet if u report somethin or tell transit about a situation that happem in ur bus that u felt uncomfortable with they dont even bother to investigate or look at the cameras is like there only there for there benefit when they need to proof somethin

I picked into kb which i hear is one of the best here in the bx the number 1 depo people say is gunhill and then kb and last westfarms.. ur right i might be stressin myself out more but no matter how hard we try or i should say i try theres just things that get to me people do so much dumb things out there that they get to u , u ask somethin of them nicely and they want to give attitude is alot to it .. i guess u have to be in to understand exactly what my point is ... ima try and continue with this im onlu still here bc of the benefits nothin else ...

That's it, stay positive! And once you're able to, I would get out of KB and pick another depot...seems like the management at that Depot doesn't know how to treat the rookies...

That's it, stay positive! And once you're able to, I would get out of KB and pick another depot...seems like the management at that Depot doesn't know how to treat the rookies...

Im tryin from what i hear management in this depot have alot of favoritism they help out there people and screw everyone else basically but lets see im tryna remain strong and get threw this ... in dec ill defenitly pick out

Im tryin from what i hear management in this depot have alot of favoritism they help out there people and screw everyone else basically but lets see im tryna remain strong and get threw this ... in dec ill defenitly pick out

I did my 7 day training out of KB. Lovely depot especially the parking location being close to the swing room.

So nobody is going to tell him he was dead wrong for servicing the wheelchair passenger last? What were you thinking? [emoji23][emoji23]

I make people get off the bus who try to sneak on before the wheelchair, and if they give me any problems the bus will go out of service, me and the wheelchair passenger will travel. Just make sure you get that handbook with the rules and regulations and read it thoroughly. This way you won't get caught off guard. Like others have said you are putting way too much pressure on yourself, im not sure where management comes to play but the only time i saw the higher ups at the depot was during my evaluation. Maybe you need a change of scenery before you think about quitting, Good luck to ya!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MCID, you wont need that sheet, just make sure you know how to get there and DONT be late!!!!!! Don't sweat all you read, everybody's situation is different , your only focus should be on the next 10 days. After you pass these 10 days then your focus is the next 10 days. 10 days at a time and then they pay you.......drive safely , customer is always right, disabiled ride first and free. Remember PMI, park neutral interlock.

The management is very tuff on u they want to put too much pressure on you instead of makin u feel comfortable while ur on probation.. so is like they make u spend ur day out there under pressure scare to not have anythin happen bc they will give u a hard hit for any little thing.. and the union atleast the union at the depot dont ever do anythin all they say is well we cant do much since ur still on probation .. is just alot of stress is defenitly a good job but alot of stress.. if ur drivin and someone falls in ur bus that is considered and incident and they want to extend u for that and if u have accidents and stuff they want to extend you .. is like in transits view the never employee is always wrong they never wantto understand u .. like one of the dispatchers told me they just see u as one more number and they dont care much bc they know if is not u then theres thousands of more people behind waitin for the job...now i been on for 5 months havent had any accidents or incidents i did have customer complaint from a wheel chair customer nothin major honestly speakin and transit is makin a big deal about that to the point that i go to work stress every day without me actually doin anythin to no one just bc the customer is always right especially with the disable people u look at them and they want to say u looked at them wrong and transit wants to gibe u a hard time.. defenitly give it a shot but just know is not like what everyone thinks it is when i did the process i though this was alot better and easier and is not it is avery stressful job u dont know who is who and there is always someone watchin u ... me personally i dont feel comfortable workin under so much pressure bc we are all human and we all make mistakes and one little mistake this people will make a huge situation about .. is like they not there to work with u instead they are there to work against u thats how i feel..

Not for nothing but you got a valid complaint. You have to load wheelchairs first regardless of where they are in the line. I agree with you that it's tough for the first year but management has to answer to Zerega in the same way that you do. I don't agree with the fact that they were trying to extend you, since a first time offense gets a verbal warning. But now you know for next time.

As for your union representation, like others have said, make them do some work for the money that you're paying. Being on probation does not mean that they can't defend you the same way as someone off probation. Don't like the reps, get involved, vote them out or go somewhere where the representation is better.

Im not trying to discourage you or anything You got 5 months on, clean. That's really good. Just keep doing what you do and you'll be fine. Don't stress the work or the passengers and educate yourself on the rulebook and the bulletins so you won't get caught off guard in the future.

I picked into kb which i hear is one of the best here in the bx the number 1 depo people say is gunhill and then kb and last westfarms.. ur right i might be stressin myself out more but no matter how hard we try or i should say i try theres just things that get to me people do so much dumb things out there that they get to u , u ask somethin of them nicely and they want to give attitude is alot to it .. i guess u have to be in to understand exactly what my point is ... ima try and continue with this im onlu still here bc of the benefits nothin else ... but u should all give it a try we all have different personalities so certain things u may handle easier than me an etc .. im just tryna share my experience for u guys that are goin threw the process now thats all so u know what to expect bc i though it was different until i got to the real world

I wonder if that girl got her job back if im not mistakin last time i heard they were tryna help her get the job back bc that was bad ..

Rumor stated that she got her job back. They considered that as her first accident while on probation.

hi all,

checked my mailbox today and got my letter to report to  180 2morrow at 730am...talk about time to get things together. I currently work at the Post office so i havent been there enough to take time off for line traning but hopefully i can find a way to make it work. anyhow. my list # is 47xx.