B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

On day 1, Orientation Day, fill out a transfer request to Staten Island. This way they know that you want to go there right away, there will be a very good chance you will get the transfer right after you qualify. They usually are in serious need for Staten Island operators. Don't ask me why a transfer, they will explain (sort of) to you at Zerega. This job/exam (4600) is for Bronx, Manhattan and Brooklyn. To work in Queens or Staten Island requires a division transfer. I never got an good explanation, something about the unions I think. Good Luck!

Actually Bus Operator exam 4600 is TA which is Brooklyn,Queens, and Staten Island Division the only TA depot in Manhattan was 126th st which is closed now here is the deal if you are TWU local 100 this where it gets confusing you are allowed to pick into OA depots when the GP is held and vice versa for OA operators if you decide during training that you want to transfer to Queens or Staten Island you would be represented by ATU 1056 Queens and ATU 726 Staten Island and you're there until you retire

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually Bus Operator exam 4600 is TA which is Brooklyn,Queens, and Staten Island Division the only TA depot in Manhattan was 126th st which is closed now here is the deal if you are TWU local 100 this where it gets confusing you are allowed to pick into OA depots when the GP is held and vice versa for OA operators if you decide during training that you want to transfer to Queens or Staten Island you would be represented by ATU 1056 Queens and ATU 726 Staten Island and you're there until you retire

TA operators can pick to any depot within the 5 boroughs, Which also includes an OA depot. Transferring to Staten Island or Queens will remain the rest of your career with that borough due to union differences, unless you're promoted to dispatcher.

OA operators can work at TA depot only in Brooklyn.

The only depots both TA and OA cant work forvare MTA Bus.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Partially incorrect.

You may fill out the transfer for either Staten Island or Queens on orientation Day 0, usually a Monday. Day 1 is referred as your first day on the road, usually a Tuesday.

This exam TA 4600 is a civil service position where anyone coming in can work in TA and OA depots in any borough where there is availability. If you qualify, you'll pick, based on seniority on General Information Day, usually Day 12 (two days after Day 10). As a Staten Island probationary bus operator approaching 6 months on the job - I wouldn't say there is a serious need for operators here.

When I said Day 1, I wasn't referring to the 10-day training, it was in the context of my reply to Cory1018's question about the overrall process. But Yes Monday is commonly referred to as day 0 and Tuesday is the actual Day 1 of the 10-day training. Thank you for pointing that out.

As far as the transfer issue, Yes operators hired from exam 4600 are TA and therefor can work at any depot that the TA chooses to put us into but we cannot pick into Staten Island or Queens ourselves. Staten Island and Queens depots do not have General Picks, that's an OA thing. We can request a transfer to a Staten Island or Queens depot but that is a one-way ticket for life (as a bus operator anyway). The pick you are referring to that occurs on GI day is not a general pick but rather simply a pick of available places they need operators at that time. When general pick day comes around in December that depot you picked on GI day may or may not be an available option. Also it may not be evident to you on the surface that they have a serious need for operators because many of the recent classes where just simply placed into SI but many do not wish to stay there because they live too far away and paying $250 a  month for the bridge toll is not sustainable. I have heard of entire classes of new operators forced to go to SI in recent months. I know for a fact the entire class before mine in August was sent there without a choice. Of course things change rapidly in the MTA so its certainly possible that "serious need" doesn't apply today but I highly doubt it based on what I know.

Which is better OA or TA? I'm from Staten Island, born and raised so I know the routes so I'm comfortable there but if OA is a better option I would be open to working elsewhere.

TA is best and you definitely want to be on Staten Island. The other boroughs are a headache, u will deal with headaches here of course but compared to the other boroughs, SI is the country club. You move up seniority wise a lot faster here as well.

When I said Day 1, I wasn't referring to the 10-day training, it was in the context of my reply to Cory1018's question about the overrall process. But Yes Monday is commonly referred to as day 0 and Tuesday is the actual Day 1 of the 10-day training. Thank you for pointing that out.

As far as the transfer issue, Yes operators hired from exam 4600 are TA and therefor can work at any depot that the TA chooses to put us into but we cannot pick into Staten Island or Queens ourselves. Staten Island and Queens depots do not have General Picks, that's an OA thing. We can request a transfer to a Staten Island or Queens depot but that is a one-way ticket for life (as a bus operator anyway). The pick you are referring to that occurs on GI day is not a general pick but rather simply a pick of available places they need operators at that time. When general pick day comes around in December that depot you picked on GI day may or may not be an available option. Also it may not be evident to you on the surface that they have a serious need for operators because many of the recent classes where just simply placed into SI but many do not wish to stay there because they live too far away and paying $250 a  month for the bridge toll is not sustainable. I have heard of entire classes of new operators forced to go to SI in recent months. I know for a fact the entire class before mine in August was sent there without a choice. Of course things change rapidly in the MTA so its certainly possible that "serious need" doesn't apply today but I highly doubt it based on what I know.

SI and Queens have there own General pick allowing people to switch depots within their boro once a year.

You can not switch Queens depots every year, that is incorrect. You get one transfer after arriving in Queens and only one transfer. For instance say if you wanted Queens Village but it wasn't available, you can go to Casey Stengel or Jamaica until QV is available. Once QV is available, if you accept it that's it your in QV the rest of your career. Just used QV as an example, same goes for the others. Staten Island I am not sure about.

You can not switch Queens depots every year, that is incorrect. You get one transfer after arriving in Queens and only one transfer. For instance say if you wanted Queens Village but it wasn't available, you can go to Casey Stengel or Jamaica until QV is available. Once QV is available, if you accept it that's it your in QV the rest of your career. Just used QV as an example, same goes for the others. Staten Island I am not sure about.

I see. Thought Queens operated the same as Staten. Well on Staten we have a general pick every Dec, can change depots on the island at that time.

Does anybody think these rules will change when the merge between MaBSTOA, MTABC and NYCTA? These are so many restrictions.

Unlikely anytime too soon. There are several unions involved here with different viewpoints and decades long agendas. One of the big differences is the pension system. Only TA is civil appointment so entitled to participate in NYCERS (NY State Pension), OA and MTA Bus have different private pension system. TA is appointed/non-provisional (permanent) whereas OA and MTA Bus is provisional (not permanent). There is however no difference in pay. All bus operators get paid the same. 

One thing I will say, although things are messy and confusing, it has been getting a little better in recent years. It was a lot more messy a decade or so ago. MTA was actually composed of several separate bus companies in the past. At least now they are somewhat consolidated. It was only a year ago that depots could not even borrow buses from each other, today it happens all the time. Also worth noting that the new contract being implemented in April is actually a unified contract with both TWU and ATU so progress is happening but very slowly. I should however mention that not everybody is a fan of this unification. Some of the old-timers and hard core union members don't like these consolidations but we need to be respectful of there positions in this matter as they are the pioneers.

Thank You... You saved me some typing... This is how it was explained to me exactly about Queens. 2-months ago I declined my transfer to Queens because I could not get my head wrapped around the idea it was a lifetime, permanent one-way ticket. These were my 2 main reasons reasons for deciding against accepting the transfer:

1. Permanent: What if I want to move. What if the management (dispatchers, supers, generals) don't like me and I have no place to go I am stuck and they can make my life terrible with violations, no overtime, days off, etc... No Thank You!

2. Seniority: Nobody can leave so your seniority when you get there is gonna be your seniority until people retire. Not to mention, you loose any and all seniority when you transfer. So any seniority you earned while at a TWU shop is gone and you start all over again. BTW... seniority is everything! Schedule picks (hours), vacation dates, overtime, etc...  Get stuck with 40-hour weeks, Tues-Wed RDO, vacations in Feb and Mar.... NO THANK YOU!

I live in Flushing and work at West Farms so its just a simple ride on the Q44, 35-min door-to-door plus if I really want to work in Queens I can simply pick into Fresh Pond or Grand Ave depots. They are technically Brooklyn depots but are physically located in Queens. 

What's up I start my training on the 3rd. I was wondering if they let you at least suggest a depot you want to work out of. Or at least try and keep you in your Boro.

No. Not for the 10-day training. I have been told that they do try to assign you a training depot that may work best for you based on where you live but its not always possible especially lately since the class size has increased. BTW... when did you get assigned to the April 3rd class?

No. Not for the 10-day training. I have been told that they do try to assign you a training depot that may work best for you based on where you live but its not always possible especially lately since the class size has increased. BTW... when did you get assigned to the April 3rd class?

About 2 weeks ago I was sworn in. My list #23xx. Hopefully I'm somewhere in bk/queens.some of my friends from previous test were able to pick from a list of Depots that had available spots. Sucks knowing you might end up somewhere you are not familiar with.

About 2 weeks ago I was sworn in. My list #23xx. Hopefully I'm somewhere in bk/queens.some of my friends from previous test were able to pick from a list of Depots that had available spots. Sucks knowing you might end up somewhere you are not familiar with.

After you qualify Yes you should get to pick a depot from a short list but not for the 10-day training.

Hey, I am on day 5 line training, as far as 7 days goes, I live in Bensonhurst and was assigned training at Gunhill Bronx, 9-5pm, 2 hour commute, no choice in this, however on plus side, after training and day 12, we had depot picks, guy comes in puts stroke count on board for depots available and how many at each, not all depots available, none for Staten Island and no Gleason, I lucked out had a high score on test, I was 16 of 51 to pick, I picked Ulmer, which is 4 blocks from home, just some extra info and my experience for the new future bus operators.

Hey, I am on day 5 line training, as far as 7 days goes, I live in Bensonhurst and was assigned training at Gunhill Bronx, 9-5pm, 2 hour commute, no choice in this, however on plus side, after training and day 12, we had depot picks, guy comes in puts stroke count on board for depots available and how many at each, not all depots available, none for Staten Island and no Gleason, I lucked out had a high score on test, I was 16 of 51 to pick, I picked Ulmer, which is 4 blocks from home, just some extra info and my experience for the new future bus operators.

Thanks for the info sparrow857 ulmer is closer to my house then Gleason. I would love UP. I do know a few people that been on the job for a good 13yrs + at Gleason.

Cory, as for average class size varies, my March class was 78, I am told between 75 and 85, as for slow period I was told classes will run thru July, every 2 weeks, not all hire stay for various reason so there is a need for new hires, if there is a slow down period my guess is summer as all senior peephole in HR take vacations. Anybody Welles have additional info or corrections on this feel free to update me,

Thank You... You saved me some typing... This is how it was explained to me exactly about Queens. 2-months ago I declined my transfer to Queens because I could not get my head wrapped around the idea it was a lifetime, permanent one-way ticket. These were my 2 main reasons reasons for deciding against accepting the transfer:

1. Permanent: What if I want to move. What if the management (dispatchers, supers, generals) don't like me and I have no place to go I am stuck and they can make my life terrible with violations, no overtime, days off, etc... No Thank You!

2. Seniority: Nobody can leave so your seniority when you get there is gonna be your seniority until people retire. Not to mention, you loose any and all seniority when you transfer. So any seniority you earned while at a TWU shop is gone and you start all over again. BTW... seniority is everything! Schedule picks (hours), vacation dates, overtime, etc... Get stuck with 40-hour weeks, Tues-Wed RDO, vacations in Feb and Mar.... NO THANK YOU!

I live in Flushing and work at West Farms so its just a simple ride on the Q44, 35-min door-to-door plus if I really want to work in Queens I can simply pick into Fresh Pond or Grand Ave depots. They are technically Brooklyn depots but are physically located in Queens.

Anyone in probation that can give good feedback... i just started line trainin and can defenitly use any advice ... as far as probation i ask bc it seems as if thats somethin tuff atleast everyone at my depot makes it sound like is hard anyone has anything they can share about that ? Thanks ahead

Ask your line trainers what will get you extended and they will tell you. Anything that you was warned of at Zerega definitely applies. Off the top of my head, if you have 2 preventables, you get a red light/speeding camera ticket with the bus, you get caught running a yellow/red (this may get you fired), not making your ADAs, poor attendance will get you there. Surviving probation isn't hard at all. It's definitely a challenge but take your time with everything.

Just passed the probationary period, glad it's over. Those who recently passed training congrats, just make sure you stick to what is taught, getting extended sucks!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Congrats!! 

So this morning a passenger fussing about me cause I didn't run a yellow light lol claiming she's late for work, so in other words I must run red lights for her to get to work even if it cost me to lose mines NOT HAPPENING lol

Line training is getting better. How's everyone doing on 1-10 training? Hope all is well.

LMAO, I had someone ask me during line training if I was going to make the ferry. "Nope." And to reinforce that, I stayed behind another bus heading to the ferry all the way. A lot of these people get irate because they feel entitled to everything. It's all about me, F everyone else. I was helping someone in the class behind me who was working the X1 hawk on her first week on her own. The second night this guy gets on and completely curses the both of us out. "Oh well, we do this job with safety first, everything else second." It's your bus for 8 hours, you get to control the pace, not anyone else.

Only one out of four of us has the chance to qualify on day 7, that's tomorrow. I did just one stupid mistake in Union Square. Instead of making a full stop when a driver opened his parked car door on my right side, I slowed the bus down and inched forward. Though I had the breaks covered  if needed to stop, I was bit too close to the car. Didn't get charlie braked, driver got into the car without incident, but not coming to a full stop cost me. Another two extra days of training will do me good.

Hope this will help the future candidates....

Anything that gets in that 4 feet of space, they want you to stop. In real world, what you did is fine but for school room, they want you stopped and let the hazard get out of the way before you proceed again. Good luck tomorrow!

Do what I do when someone complains about you stopping at yellow lights.... drive slower and take extra long at bus stops. After a minute or two of driving slower and and a few long bus stops they will get the point and shut up lol.

And if they are complaining and standing in front of the white line when they are complaining, tell them to move behind the white line. If they refuse, then you simply refuse to drive. It's your bus, your job is to get to the end of the line safe, them getting to work on time is not your problem.

I did that once when someone complained about me being late. Crawled from that point on until the terminal.

Partially incorrect.

You may fill out the transfer for either Staten Island or Queens on orientation Day 0, usually a Monday. Day 1 is referred as your first day on the road, usually a Tuesday.

This exam TA 4600 is a civil service position where anyone coming in can work in TA and OA depots in any borough where there is availability. If you qualify, you'll pick, based on seniority on General Information Day, usually Day 12 (two days after Day 10). As a Staten Island probationary bus operator approaching 6 months on the job - I wouldn't say there is a serious need for operators here.

Which depot are you out of?

Overtime isn't by seniority. It has to do with hours worked or something. I forgot exactly I'll get an explination. That's overtime tho, like working an rdo or a double.

It's not run pay ofcourse. Obviously the senior guys will get the bigger runs lol. The Q44, lol, I operate that line often haha.

Referring to how Stengel does it atleast lol

By the way I saw a training bus out of Casey Stengel a few times this week, anyone here on that bus?