B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

your so right about drinking are juicing beet to lower blood pressure are go to the health food are herbal store and buy cerese tea

Don't forget about the cinnamon too! It works for me...

is this something new that you can't renew your cdl because i received my cdl in 2014 and i renewed once after that 

Check out the DMV website for any specific questions. Hopefully this will help solve the "confusion" that's been going on...

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is this something new that you can't renew your cdl because i received my cdl in 2014 and i renewed once after that 

If you look at this link, it clearly states how you can renew your CDL license. The requirements have changed, but you can still renew your CDL.

SimpleCase Closed.

I was able to renew the permit with no problems. Thanks for the info.

No problem...

My advice: Make sure you check the DMV site periodically!! Once in a while something new will come up, such as the forms for the medical examination, or the farm endorsements (which don't apply to us), etc...

I was able to renew the permit with no problems. Thanks for the info.

If you are who I think you are based on your screen name your number is in the 1xxx range, you would be wise to take lessons and go take your road test so that you will have your CDL Class B license with air brakes and passenger. They are only up to 95. When I spoke to them about my status they told me probably around the end of this year and my number is 2xx so very unlikely (not impossible) that they will not call you before the additional 6-months you just renewed your permit for. Besides, it has been said on this forum topic as well as many others that there is a huge advantage to already having your CDL license when going through the MTA training. Like I said the many reasons have already been discussed to death but the main reason is that you will only get 1 or 2 chances to pass your road test with the MTA training and if you fail, you are completely done and will have to start all over again from the very beginning. That means you loose your place on this list and will have wait several years for a new list to be established plus you will feel a lot less pressure during the MTA training because all you have to do is pass the MTA training itself. That's what I have been doing. I have already taken 8-hours of training and the instructor says I am ready for road exam. I am scheduled for July 5th.

...That means you loose your place on this list and will have wait several years for a new list to be established...

When I failed the 10-day B/O training session under Exam 2613, I was told by one of the Administrative Assistants @ Zerega that I have to wait five [5] years before trying again. This happened in February of 2014, which means that I have to wait until February 2019 to try again for the Bus Operator position (she said that this won't affect any other position within the MTA and/or NYC Transit).

Fortunately I did take the B/O 4600 exam, and my list # is in the 2800's, so we'll see what happens as far as the timing is concerned.

In addition, I will agree with the previous post - I did obtain my CDL, and if and when I have to go through the 10-day training session again (depending on which other city agency calls me first, since I'm on at least 5 different lists), I feel that I will be better prepared. Taking a refresher course at a local driving school for an hour or two won't hurt though...

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

If you are who I think you are based on your screen name your number is in the 1xxx range, you would be wise to take lessons and go take your road test so that you will have your CDL Class B license with air brakes and passenger. They are only up to 95. When I spoke to them about my status they told me probably around the end of this year and my number is 2xx so very unlikely (not impossible) that they will not call you before the additional 6-months you just renewed your permit for. Besides, it has been said on this forum topic as well as many others that there is a huge advantage to already having your CDL license when going through the MTA training. Like I said the many reasons have already been discussed to death but the main reason is that you will only get 1 or 2 chances to pass your road test with the MTA training and if you fail, you are completely done and will have to start all over again from the very beginning. That means you loose your place on this list and will have wait several years for a new list to be established plus you will feel a lot less pressure during the MTA training because all you have to do is pass the MTA training itself. That's what I have been doing. I have already taken 8-hours of training and the instructor says I am ready for road exam. I am scheduled for July 5th.

Your right. I am starting my classes this week for my CDL.

@youngnycsubwayfan. What advice can you give me to pass the 10 day training? And what was it that made you fail?

Not to be a prick but this question seems to come up in this thread often, i personally read this entire thread from the beginning and was able to get tons of knowledge from others that had different perspectives of the training they received. Helped me tons.

@youngnycsubwayfan. What advice can you give me to pass the 10 day training? And what was it that made you fail?

As far as advice: In addition to going through the topics/threads, and studying the cheat sheets, my strong advice is to get some experience. Even if you have a permit and you get some lessons in at a driving school, or you have your CDL and you get experience driving a shuttle bus, school bus, front engine or rear engine...it all helps. However, to top it all off, having one or two lessons at a driving school will do so you can get used to calling out heights, hazards, school crossings, etc. In addition, don't forget to check those mirrors every 3 to 5 seconds! They are very big on that! And when you do, turn your head so the instructor physically sees that you're checking those mirrors.

As far as what made me fail: Long story short, going into this cold.

Not to be a prick but this question seems to come up in this thread often, i personally read this entire thread from the beginning and was able to get tons of knowledge from others that had different perspectives of the training they received. Helped me tons.

I'll agree, however I would advise, in addition to looking at this thread, to also look at the 2613 thread, 3101 thread, 2301 thread, the Questions about NYCT Bus/MTA Bus Training thread, and there might be one or two others which I missed.

In order to save time down the road, when you look at them (preferably on a computer), have a blank Microsoft Word document open as well. This way, as you're going through the pages, if you see something you like, you can copy and paste it into your Word document for future reference. This way, during the 10-day training session, you can just refer to your little "cheat sheet" compared to logging onto a computer, going through the different topics/threads, which probably contain over 1,000 pages, etc.

Not sure I understand your question. If you are asking if I was on an outstanding certification a month ago, maybe. I don't check the DCAS system every week. When I checked on Sunday May 29th was the first time the system recording said I was NOT on outstanding certification. I don't remember exactly when I had checked before that day, maybe 3-weeks. The system updates every Sunday. The recording also said the last certified number was 1024.  If you are asking because you are still on "outstanding" and your number is below 1024 then I would recommend that you call MTA Hiring Center between 11am-4pm at 347-643-8229 and see if they know of a problem with your eligibility.

Where u ever on an outstanding certification was what I was trying to ask lol

Did they send you the pre employment package paperwork yet busdriverwannabe?

As I already wrote before 'Yes" I was on an outstanding certification... Everybody starts off on the list as an outstanding certification, then as people become certified the status changes to NOT on outstanding certification. Certification essentially means the government has determined that you are eligible for appointment (hiring), which gives the MTA the green light to proceed with the next steps in the hiring process. Doesn't mean we are hired, just that whatever the criteria that has been set to be eligible for appointment has been met. This prevents the MTA from spending the time and money required to interview you, process your pre-employment application, test us for drugs and doing a medical just to find out later that for some reason you are ineligible for appointment to a civil job.

As far as the pre-employment package sent/mailed. We will receive a letter informing us when to go to MTA hiring center in Brooklyn. At that time, we will receive the pre-employment package/paperwork and as I understand it we will then be called back to return the paperwork and take a drug test and exam. I have not received that letter yet. Although it has been repeatedly reported on this forum that they sent letters to first 200 numbers, that is not the case. Hiring center tells me only the first 95 have been contacted.

As I already wrote before 'Yes" I was on an outstanding certification... Everybody starts off on the list as an outstanding certification, then as people become certified the status changes to NOT on outstanding certification. Certification essentially means the government has determined that you are eligible for appointment (hiring), which gives the MTA the green light to proceed with the next steps in the hiring process. Doesn't mean we are hired, just that whatever the criteria that has been set to be eligible for appointment has been met. This prevents the MTA from spending the time and money required to interview you, process your pre-employment application, test us for drugs and doing a medical just to find out later that for some reason you are ineligible for appointment to a civil job.

As far as the pre-employment package sent/mailed. We will receive a letter informing us when to go to MTA hiring center in Brooklyn. At that time, we will receive the pre-employment package/paperwork and as I understand it we will then be called back to return the paperwork and take a drug test and exam. I have not received that letter yet. Although it has been repeatedly reported on this forum that they sent letters to first 200 numbers, that is not the case. Hiring center tells me only the first 95 have been contacted.

so i list no 58* still on outstanding certification then i should call? is there anyone else still on outstanding certification thats under list 1024? am i the only one lol

so i list no 58* still on outstanding certification then i should call? is there anyone else still on outstanding certification thats under list 1024? am i the only one lol

Well first of all do not panic. Call the MTA Hiring Center tomorrow between 11-4 at 347-643-8229. Tell them the DCAS automated system is reporting that the last certified number for exam 4600 is 1024 but that your number is still reported as outstanding certification and ask if they can help you understand why that might be the case. Please keep in mind the people answering those calls are the very same people you will be dealing with when you finally are called in so be polite, patient and respectful. 

I have read a couple of people comment on this forum that they too are in your situation but I haven't read anybody return with any more info so perhaps you can share any general info that you learn. Good Luck!

Well first of all do not panic. Call the MTA Hiring Center tomorrow between 11-4 at 347-643-8229. Tell them the DCAS automated system is reporting that the last certified number for exam 4600 is 1024 but that your number is still reported as outstanding certification and ask if they can help you understand why that might be the case. Please keep in mind the people answering those calls are the very same people you will be dealing with when you finally are called in so be polite, patient and respectful. 

I have read a couple of people comment on this forum that they too are in your situation but I haven't read anybody return with any more info so perhaps you can share any general info that you learn. Good Luck!

Ok I just call and they said if u on "an outstanding certification" then u on the list, if u "not on outstanding certification" then u off the list. Can someone confirm lol?

Ok I just call and they said if u on "an outstanding certification" then u on the list, if u "not on outstanding certification" then u off the list. Can someone confirm lol?

not necessarily. Certification means DCAS has sent your name to the agency, if not then you are waiting for them to send it for pre-employment application.

not necessarily. Certification means DCAS has sent your name to the agency, if not then you are waiting for them to send it for pre-employment application.

OK. So I read and reread all these replies/posts including my own and was completely confused.. again... about this whole outstanding certification thing, so I decided to call someone that I know who works for the city's IT department and asked for a complete explanation of what this thing means.

Basically tdevon2012's last entry is correct but I would like to expand on his posts to help explain to whomever is interested in the "technical explanation" I was given by someone who understands DCAS from a information technology standpoint. The person I know is part of the database management team for these lists. Anyone who doesn't want to be bothered with the technical explanation can just stop reading now and just relax it doesn't mean anything regarding your employment status and you are fine and are still on the waiting list regardless whether you are "on an outstanding certification" or not....Period!

Now for the wonky stuff....

DCAS is the main database of people applying for any job with a city agency (except public school teachers). When anybody takes an exam or applies for an open position with a city agency (like the MTA, Dept of Health, Courts, NYPD, etc) the  applicants information is stored in the DCAS database. When a city agency is actively hiring, they request eligible applicants from the DCAS database that fit the profile or have passed the required exams for the positions they are trying to fill. When the city human resources department sends the applicants information from DCAS to the agency, the status of the applicants sent to the agency changes to "ON AN OUSTANDING CERTIFICATION". When the city agency has filled the open positions the agency stops picking from the list and releases the remaining applicants back to city human resources department and the DCAS database is updated. The people not hired/selected remain on the list and the status changes to "NOT ON AN OUSTANDING CERTIFICATION". The next time a city agency is actively hiring the process repeats itself... over and over again until there are no more applicants left or the list expires, which ever comes first.

I ask my friend why do they do this, he/she said that in the case of 4600 bus operator list it sort of useless because its not very common for multiple city agencies to request a list of bus drivers but there are many agencies that can draw applicants from more common DCAS list such as Civil Service Exam, Electricians, Plumbers, Carpenters, you get the idea. In our case its usually just the MTA that gets applicants from list 4600.

Think of it like a public library, someone checks-out a book the system says the book is not available ("ON AN OUTSTANDING CERTIFICATION") when the book is returned then the system says the book is available ("IS NOT ON AN OUTSTANDING CERTIFICATION"). The one thing my friend did say is that truth be told, its been debated internally that this status information be available publicly because its really an internal thing between agencies and the DCAS system administrators but they wanted to give people a little bit of an indication of current activity. He explained, if the status is "ON AN OUSTANDING CERTIFICATION" then be aware that they are selecting people or as he/she says, the list is HOT. If the status is "NOT ON AN OUTSTANDING CERTIFICATION" the list is "COLD" and the MTA is not actively selecting drivers (in the case of the 4600 list). 

So ladies and gentlemen that is the explanation. If when you check the DCAS hotline it says you are "ON AN OUTSTANDING CERTIFICATION" check your mailbox for a pre-employment letter otherwise don't be anxious about a letter.

Hope that helps!  Please don't flood me with questions or requests for more detail than this, I pretty much wrote everything I know and can say publicly.

16XX Score 96.667 Currently on NOT OUTSTANDING. Out of  8821 applicant, Last Out Standing Number #1024 last appointed  #95. So meaning I am not ready to be called in correct? Called the DCAS  212-669-1357 and followed the prompts.

Thanks