B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question. I just lost my social security card and applied for one last week. It should be here by middle of the next week. I got pre employment letter (21x). should I call them and let them know I have to wait to get my ss card or should I go there and tell them?

Question. I just lost my social security card and applied for one last week. It should be here by middle of the next week. I got pre employment letter (21x). should I call them and let them know I have to wait to get my ss card or should I go there and tell them?

Justdre88 you could take your self out the list for know and then reinstate yourself when you have the 3 year requirement. Idk exactly how you do it but pm youngnyc he should know. Also whats your list #

I would personally go down there. They are going to run your abstract. When you are called up, they will realize that you don't meet the 3-year requirement, therefore, you can tell them in person that you're still interested, and they will tell you what to do when you meet the requirements.

The first time you go down, it will probably and most likely be for a drug test, therefore, just bring enough forms of other Identification (license, passport, etc.), if they ask for it, just be honest, that's all. Worse comes to worse, they'll tell you to come back once you receive your SS card in the mail.

How does the process works when they first call you?

Can everything be done in one day or does it take a few days?

Want to know because I just got a new job and it won't be a good look if I start using my sick days right away..

From my experience, this is how it goes:

Step 1) Drug test (pee in a cup, no hair removal). They will also instruct you to fill out a 21 page booklet (CPD-B) at home, and they will get back to you within 3 to 90 days, depending on how fast Zerega Avenue moves.

Step 2) When you come back, you will go for a medical examination. (Click here, here, here, here & here for information on that. From what I read in the Track Worker thread, if the medical is not the exact same for Bus Operators and Track Workers, it's 95% similar.)

Step 3) Providing you pass the medical, you will go for final processing, get your fingerprints taken, receive a "report" date for Zerega, receive your pass number, etc.

If you click on one of those links (except the first one, which is from the Track Worker thread), myself or someone else elaborated more about what will happen.

Any specific questions? Feel free to post and/or PM (private message) me!

received my letter as well, I have a question for you Young...

I don't have my "paper" HS diploma, no where it is.... but I have the plaque they gave me, is that enough or should I get a transcript?

Thanks.

you don't need a high school diploma for this job.

received my letter as well, I have a question for you Young...

I don't have my "paper" HS diploma, no idea where it is.... but I have the plaque they gave me, is that enough or should I get a transcript?

Thanks.

From looking at the Notice of Examination, which can be found here, I wouldn't worry about that at all. Your Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP)/Commercial Driver's License (CDL) and your abstract is what's most important at this moment for the majority of us.

From looking at the Notice of Examination, which can be found here, I wouldn't worry about that at all. Your Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP)/Commercial Driver's License (CDL) and your abstract is what's most important at this moment for the majority of us.

fair enough, thanks. 

And a while back, we established that an A3 restriction was fine, correct?

fair enough, thanks. 

And a while back, we established that an A3 restriction was fine, correct?

If the DMV gave you a permit with an A3 restriction, it means that you elected medical exemption. (EI or EA) on your MV-44 form. Otherwise you would have been required to submit a DOT medical certificate. Medical exemption basically just means that the purpose of the CDL is to drive for the government (MTA) or a school bus. The MTA or school bus carrier will have you take an annual medical under the NYS Article 19-A program. It also means you cannot drive for a private non-school bus company (like Academy, Greyhound, etc) or even a delivery truck. Those jobs will not hire you with an A3 restriction on your license. So basically, you will be limited to driving a school bus (if you have the S endorsement) or the MTA. Do keep in mind that you also need the P (Passenger) endorsement to work for the MTA.

If the DMV gave you a permit with an A3 restriction, it means that you elected medical exemption. (EI or EA) on your MV-44 form. Otherwise you would have been required to submit a DOT medical certificate. Medical exemption basically just means that the purpose of the CDL is to drive for the government (MTA) or a school bus. The MTA or school bus carrier will have you take an annual medical under the NYS Article 19-A program. It also means you cannot drive for a private non-school bus company (like Academy, Greyhound, etc) or even a delivery truck. Those jobs will not hire you with an A3 restriction on your license. So basically, you will be limited to driving a school bus (if you have the S endorsement) or the MTA. Do keep in mind that you also need the P (Passenger) endorsement to work for the MTA.

Thanks for answering the question!

Whats your list number?

280ish... I'm reporting on Wednesday.

Anyone from Staten Island also reporting on Wednesday?

Edited by mct9891

Got a tough problem.  I have to report for my medical tomorrow.  As I understand it, once you do your medical, they start you on training pretty soon.  Like a couple of weeks?  My problem is a family member had an accident and I need to spend the next couple of months helping her out.  Brining her to doctor, physical rehab 3x weekly, bringing food.  Basically checking up on her every day.  I don't know if I can commit to the MTA right now, and I also don't know if I can pass it up!

Is there a procedure for this?  I don't want to get kicked off the list entirely.  Is it possible to postpone the training, and get called in with the next batch of people?  The person I spoke to on the phone from the MTA wasn't very helpful.  I'm hoping others here can share their experience.  I've been waiting almost 2 years and really don't want to let this opportunity go.  Thanks

Got a tough problem.  I have to report for my medical tomorrow.  As I understand it, once you do your medical, they start you on training pretty soon.  Like a couple of weeks?  My problem is a family member had an accident and I need to spend the next couple of months helping her out.  Brining her to doctor, physical rehab 3x weekly, bringing food.  Basically checking up on her every day.  I don't know if I can commit to the MTA right now, and I also don't know if I can pass it up!

Is there a procedure for this?  I don't want to get kicked off the list entirely.  Is it possible to postpone the training, and get called in with the next batch of people?  The person I spoke to on the phone from the MTA wasn't very helpful.  I'm hoping others here can share their experience.  I've been waiting almost 2 years and really don't want to let this opportunity go.  Thanks

WOW!!! That's tough problem alright! Here is my opinion of what you might consider doing but I encourage others to perhaps throw in there two-cents...

First of all, you have already revealed your actual list number a few months ago and you are providing details of your issue and since you don't truly know who monitoring these forums I strongly suggest you be honest with the MTA otherwise that can create new problems for yourself that you don't need. Second of all, you obsoletely need to get a friend, family member or visiting nurse to back you up in the event you take this advice...

I think you should proceed forward with your medical and application process. There is always the possibility that either something could cause a delay with you application or even your medical that would put you on a medical hold. For example, high blood pressure, blood sugar, irregular heartbeat (from EKG) etc.. Of course you don't want that to happen but it can and if it does that will buy you some additional time.

Of course the other option would be to request that your list number be put on hold but of course that means you will have to do it all over again. The drug test and the 21-page application. I believe they expire 30-day and 90-days respectively. 

One thing I want to mention, are you sure its the medical they calling you in for or is for a new drug test? If its for another drug test then you may have some time. If you can, I would look into the visiting nurse idea, it may be worth the money so that you can take advantage of this opportunity to work for the MTA.

​Good Luck Buddy!

Question abot the 21 page booklet. How precise do you need to be with the employment. I went to the SS office and got my work history but it only shows years. I have for the most part exact dates in months from 2006ish to now but before 2006 is a different story. I can go off of what SS thing shows but again it just shows years not months ugh. How precise does it have to be?

Question abot the 21 page booklet. How precise do you need to be with the employment. I went to the SS office and got my work history but it only shows years. I have for the most part exact dates in months from 2006ish to now but before 2006 is a different story. I can go off of what SS thing shows but again it just shows years not months ugh. How precise does it have to be?

I had the same issue... I had to go back to the 80's... I had to piece it together as best I could using memory and resumes. The important thing to do is not to have gaps. If you were unemployed, you need to state that on the paperwork, NO GAPS!  When I asked the clerk at the SS office she explained to me that the SSA does not get work dates. All they do is enter the information from the W2 and she doesn't believe the MTA would actually have a way to verify the dates put on the application unless they call the employer or request employer payroll records from the IRS so its very unlikely it would be a problem if you don't get the months exactly right but try your best to be as close as possible. There is no other option.

Edited by BusDriverWannabe