C riders Happy with New equipment

VIP

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll say to just leave the (C) (and the rest of the subway system in general) alone, either 8-cars or 10-cars. No need to shorten it.

As a frequent (C) rider ever since I first attended Transit Tech, I see it crowded or packed to the brim after leaving Lafayette in Brooklyn with most of the Fulton Local residents who get off at either Downtown Brooklyn or Lower Manhattan during rush hour. Sometimes its overcrowded or just crowded whenever the (A) is late or something during the peak. Just my experience.

In my experience working the (C) , customers in Manhattan only ride in the southern most car anyway, so it might as well run with 2 cars.

In my experience it's really the first and last cars (because for some reason that's the only positions in the IND stations with convenient exits all the time).

Sorry, I meant to type R142. A typo I didn't notice until now. Also, he said 8th Avenue is the busiest line. The Lex would like to have a word with him.  Zuooon.

Hey, at least y'all are getting a new subway line for your troubles. Queens Blvd would like to speak with him.

The main reason the C should be 10 car trains is because it makes swaps with the A easier (and would ease this issue about trains overheating in the summer). At least with r32s they can cut 2 cars from a 10 car train to run for the C and add two back to an 8 car train to run on the A. With everything in sets of 4 or 5, you can't do this anymore (and they are not running 9 car trains because it would under serve the A). So that is why I think it is a mistake to keep the C at 10 car trains, it limits flexibility.

That said, if the point is to have the C be 8 car trains so that Eastern division can always borrow some more 8 car trains if there was a need for more service (like say a rush hour extension via West End), maybe that's why.

It ran as a concert special, on a side note the R32s. May stay longer, with the SI R44s rusting and major issues, we might loose some cars much quicker than we thought and no its not the R32s, the NTT are starting to show major issues, like it or not there's a very strong possibly that the R32s may still be here (half of them) even after the R179s, things aren't going in the right direction for alot of things in the ta

There was an R68A running on the (C) tonight. I wonder how the riders felt about that? From the sounds of it when I connected with one, most of them thought it was a (B) or (D) and didn't want to even read the rollsigns.

Well, to be fair: I can't blame 'em for that because there were some rerouted (D) trains yesterday:

Guest Lance

... we might loose some cars much quicker than we thought and no its not the R32s, the NTT are starting to show major issues, like it or not there's a very strong possibly that the R32s may still be here (half of them) even after the R179s, things aren't going in the right direction for alot of things in the ta

Do you have any proof on that besides the hot cars on the C? I mean it's been a pretty hot summer as of late and as we all know, hot temperatures and electronics don't mix all that well. Especially on such a stifling line like the C. Also, if more 160s are heading to 207th and may stick around longer than the summer, the trains must be running pretty damn well, periodic heat issues notwithstanding.

And that reminds me, somewhere in this forum, either this thread or the A/C swap thread, it was mentioned that the C-line seems cursed because of the overheating problems. The only comparable line that's like the C is the R. All other lines that use 160s have long express runs between station stops and/or have long stretches of their line outside where the HVACs can actually breathe.

No R32 3838, the SI R44s are doing just fine. Ask AndrewJC or Art Vanderlay.

No Trust Me they aren't, they are in very bad shape, after Sandy hit, they got much worse, the SI R44's are just like the NYCT ones its just they put a stainless steel Belly Band back when they were overhauled in 1991-2 they are rotting badly, too bad their replacements are not coming until 2015-16 (R46's)

Do you have any proof on that besides the hot cars on the C? I mean it's been a pretty hot summer as of late and as we all know, hot temperatures and electronics don't mix all that well. Especially on such a stifling line like the C. Also, if more 160s are heading to 207th and may stick around longer than the summer, the trains must be running pretty damn well, periodic heat issues notwithstanding.

And that reminds me, somewhere in this forum, either this thread or the A/C swap thread, it was mentioned that the C-line seems cursed because of the overheating problems. The only comparable line that's like the C is the R. All other lines that use 160s have long express runs between station stops and/or have long stretches of their line outside where the HVACs can actually breathe.

The R160 issues were confirmed by TA workers who work the (C) line that the R160's were overheating, the (E) doesn't have that reason is due to the fact it shares its equipment with the (F)

No R32 3838, the SI R44s are doing just fine. Ask AndrewJC or Art Vanderlay.

You called?

I have no insider information on the condition of the SIR R44's. All I can say is:

1. As of December 2012, the plan was to keep the R44's running until "around 2020."

2. The R44 SMS a few years ago included life-extension structural work.

3. Retrofitting existing cars, especially R46's (due for retirement within a decade), is wasteful.

4. Retrofitting existing cars right now creates a car shortage.

5. Retrofitting existing cars after the R179's arrive also creates a car shortage, unless some R32's are retained. Given that the R32's are already 49 years old and were scheduled to be replaced by the R160's, it seems pretty unlikely to me that they won't even be replaced by the R179's.

Of course, if there's an emergency and the R44's have to be put out to pasture, then anything goes, including car shortages. But that's a last resort - it's certainly not the plan today.

No Trust Me they aren't, they are in very bad shape, after Sandy hit, they got much worse, the SI R44's are just like the NYCT ones its just they put a stainless steel Belly Band back when they were overhauled in 1991-2 they are rotting badly, too bad their replacements are not coming until 2015-16 (R46's)

I'm aware of Sandy damage to SIR, including Clifton Shop, but this is the first I'm hearing about Sandy damage to any of SIR's cars.

The R211's will not be coming in 2015-16. They haven't even been designed, let alone ordered.

The R160 issues were confirmed by TA workers who work the (C) line that the R160's were overheating, the (E) doesn't have that reason is due to the fact it shares its equipment with the (F)

If the R160's were overheating, then why was the R32-R160 swap increased by 80% this weekend?

(Answer: The R160's were not overheating. Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.)

Why do people keep saying that "Since the R32s were suppossed to be replaced by the R160", that the may not even be replaced by the R179?

The only reason the R32 is still around is because of the R44 needing premature retirement. People keep forgetting that.

No, the (E) doesn't have that problem as for the reasons Lance stated. Only the (C) and (R) would have that problem because they stay underground and are both Locals. Keep a computer stuffed in a hot environment with no decent air flow and it's bound to act up. Hell, keep a HUMAN in a stuffy, hot environment and it'll act up too.

If the air-conidtioning units were left on during colder temperatures in the winter on the R32s on the (C) and R46s on the (R), they still can overheat in the hot temperatures? Yes, I know they are both fully underground and local services with no express service and/or no outdoor portion. But if the air-conditioning systems still fail in the hot temperatures regardless if the colder temperatures in the winter make it provide natural cooling then why though?

Because from what I experience when riding the (C) and on occassions the (R), the A/C units are working fine. Well most, if not most, of the car segments anyway...

Cars assigned to the C get outside moreso than those on the E. Every night nearly every C gets outside.

Many Es remain in service or are stored underground. Historically speaking, the E line R32s had more overheating issues than the C. 

If R160s could not handle the C, 4 more trains would not be heading to the C from ENY.  

I don't see how leaving A/C on in the winter helps. Overheating is not a long process. Some R32s on the A overheated last summer from just running from Grant-207-Grant. 

Why? 

There are two problems with performing C line swaps: 

A- Such swaps can result in cars being away from shops capable of servicing them.

B- Such swaps require more cars due to 300 foot units being assigned to the C. 

Using R46s on the C has only problem B associated with it. Using ENY R160s has only problem A associated with it.

Using R68As would have both problems!

Not arguing that point, but I think what vip was getting at is that the B being a part time line and above ground would be ideal to run the R32s. That said, I don't see the problem with the current swap with the J. I think this was pretty smart with an 8 for 8 swap and no need to run more cars than needed.

Well once CI starts their R160A/B SMS after the ENY ones you may see a possible R32/R68 swap for the summer, AV the R160s were having issues on the C because they aren't used to being 100% underground since they run on a 90% outdoor line, ENY will keep atleast 1-2 sets of R32s until next year

Well once CI starts their R160A/B SMS after the ENY ones you may see a possible R32/R68 swap for the summer, AV the R160s were having issues on the C because they aren't used to being 100% underground since they run on a 90% outdoor line, ENY will keep atleast 1-2 sets of R32s until next year

If so, then I would love to see R32s on the (N). I would love to fan through the elevated Astoria, Manhattan Bridge, Fourth Avenue Express and open-cut Sea Beach lines.  :)

If so, then I would love to see R32s on the (N). I would love to fan through the elevated Astoria, Manhattan Bridge, Fourth Avenue Express and open-cut Sea Beach lines. :)

If they were to go to CI they would automatically go to the (B) since its a part time line

Archived