C riders Happy with New equipment

VIP

It's not like the R46s are that old compared to the R32s anyway. They will approach 40 years come 2015 while the R32s approach 50 years next year. The R46s are slated to be replaced by the R211s come 2019 or so.

EDIT: Sure they are also aren't as reliable either, especially since the (A) and (R) are very longer routes. But as long as they get SMS after the R32s retire, they should be able to last until the R211s come in.

It's a lost cause, he'll still bitch about it because those cars are old... I don't think he answered my question about preferring a car shortage if it meant the R32s were retired earlier so he doesn't see them running. Let's just see how things go the rest of the summer with the R32s on the J and the R160s on the C.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a lost cause, he'll still bitch about it because those cars are old... I don't think he answered my question about preferring a car shortage if it meant the R32s were retired earlier so he doesn't see them running. Let's just see how things go the rest of the summer with the R32s on the J and the R160s on the C.

lol I love you.

Actually I think I made my points pretty clear.  They must find the money to keep the riding public moving and they must ensure that the fleet that they do get is properly maintained.  This isn't just with the subway cars but with the bus fleet as well.  I can only hope that they don't throw away money on new subway cars the way they've wasted money on subway stations like South Ferry and many other stations that have been re-done recently.  It's no wonder why they've been broke.

I don't have a problem with old fleet because I ride express buses that are 7 - 8+ years old, but they're taken care of it and that's the key.

And I have criticized the new South Ferry station for being built way over budget, but unfortunately I think that was basically a blank check covered by the feds for Lower Manhattan use only. Even if they never built it or didn't do a shoddy job building it in the first place, the MTA wasn't going to be able to touch that money for other stuff like new cars or other station (Sea Beach etc) rehabs.

And I'm not against having new cars, but unless you know where the MTA is 'hiding' the money, we are all just going to have to wait a few years for when the R179s do arrive on property. I'd rather the cars be built right the first time than to rush it now and have all sorts of problems.

And I have criticized the new South Ferry station for being built way over budget, but unfortunately I think that was basically a blank check covered by the feds for Lower Manhattan use only. Even if they never built it or didn't do a shoddy job building it in the first place, the MTA wasn't going to be able to touch that money for other stuff like new cars or other station (Sea Beach etc) rehabs.

And I'm not against having new cars, but unless you know where the MTA is 'hiding' the money, we are all just going to have to wait a few years for when the R179s do arrive on property. I'd rather the cars be built right the first time than to rush it now and have all sorts of problems.

Well South Ferry is just one example of a bunch of botched projects.  Canal St is another disaster amongst many that went array.

Actually I think I made my points pretty clear.  They must find the money to keep the riding public moving and they must ensure that the fleet that they do get is properly maintained.  This isn't just with the subway cars but with the bus fleet as well.  I can only hope that they don't throw away money on new subway cars the way they've wasted money on subway stations like South Ferry and many other stations that have been re-done recently.  It's no wonder why they've been broke.

Who is "they"? If you mean the MTA fire-selling all its property (Atlantic and Hudson Yards, the buildings they're selling) and not giving management a raise in five years, then have I got a bridge to sell you...

At some point if you cut deeply enough you hit bone, hence the 2010 cuts.

Here is what I m having trouble understanding. If the main reason for the C/J and Z swap is the over excessive heat in the tunnels, then why not make the C line 100% R160 for the summer? Does the MTA  honestly believe that the R32s remaining on the C won't break down on them?

Seeing as the J and Z is mostly elevated it should be able to withstand R32/R42 on those lines, right?

Here is what I m having trouble understanding. If the main reason for the C/J and Z swap is the over excessive heat in the tunnels, then why not make the C line 100% R160 for the summer? Does the MTA  honestly believe that the R32s remaining on the C won't break down on them?

Seeing as the J and Z is mostly elevated it should be able to withstand R32/R42 on those lines, right?

Not all the R32s break down; there are just a few examples of such incidents. Plus, the R32s did go through some maintenance lately so they're doing better (though overheating problems still loom).

The R160s are also having the same overheating issues as the R32s. So it isn't just an R32 issue, the issue is the C being totally underground and not swapping with the A (a mistake in the future having the C be all R179s as 8 car sets, imo).

I'm actually doubting that the R179 will have the same problem. Technology does advance and it's been around 8-9 years since the R160s were designed. I'm sure some kind of solution has been found that the R179 can use.

Actually, the main reason for the switch is for ENY's R160s to go thru SMS. 

The R46's are the next set of cars that I hate the most... It's like going back in a time warp with the hideous 70's interior and multicolored seating, not to mention the dirty feel I get just stepping on those trains. 

I was on a couple of R46s today... and I didn't feel a single thing that you did. Plus, the AC was pleasantly cool.

I was on a couple of R46s today... and I didn't feel a single thing that you did. Plus, the AC was pleasantly cool.

Being on the other end of town on the 4th Ave BMT I can attest to that. The A/C on the R46 cars, taking care of the (R) route, is not bad at all, pretty much as good as the R160's on the (N).

My complaint is actually the R68's. Last summer when still in the Bronx, I had to endure many breakdowns on the (D) with the A/C. Horrible, many straphangers getting home on the IND CPW were fuming, coming out of 90 degree weather on a PM rush just to get into a sweltering car.

The R68's are also sorely lacking heat during the winter compared to other rolling stock types making for a lose/lose situation on temp control on these cars. Very annoying.

Give this man a beer.

A 22 oz of Sam Adams and a pint of brandy, VSOP plz.

And give me a black and mild while you get my drinks. Thank you sir.

Ignore him.

He's our bartender for today, tell him what you want, tab's on me.

A 22 oz of Sam Adams and a pint of brandy, VSOP plz.And give me a black and mild while you get my drinks. Thank you sir.

He's our bartender for today, tell him what you want, tab's on me.

Let me see some I'd kid your not fooling me...

Archived