Mega Bus crashes into overpass at Port Authority

46Dover

A Megabus VanHool Double Deck bus went on the 40th Street entrance of the Port Authority Bus Terminal and was stuck on the overpass for the car garage causing damage to its roof, passengers evacuated onto the ramp, and major delays to buses inbound on the 495/Lincoln Tunnel Bus lane

Naturally this happens ON MY OVERTIME.....

A Megabus VanHool Double Deck bus went on the 40th Street entrance of the Port Authority Bus Terminal and was stuck on the overpass for the car garage causing damage to its roof, passengers evacuated onto the ramp, and major delays to buses inbound on the 495/Lincoln Tunnel Bus lane

Naturally this happens ON MY OVERTIME.....

Wait, doesn't Megabus pick up/drop off on the street? Could Shortline actually be using them now? I know they have a few units in their depot.

Something didn't tell him "I don't think this bus fits here"? When in doubt G.O.A.L (Go Out And Look).

No he was probably using his GPS made from Acme.

Wile E. Coyote, Su-perr Genius.....

Wait, doesn't Megabus pick up/drop off on the street? Could Shortline actually be using them now? I know they have a few units in their depot.

Nope the ones they have will not be used in Shortline service so the one I seen in the Coach USA colours remains stored in their yard.

Nope the ones they have will not be used in Shortline service so the one I seen in the Coach USA colours remains stored in their yard.

And even if Shortline did use them, they are still not allowed into Port Authority

I really dont get what is happening to the bus industry in this country. Clearly they just dont hold bus operators to the high standards they used to.  :(

Many government programs and agencies gave funding to the unemployed (or those who could just never get a decent job) to get their CDL B with P and S endorsements.  Many driving "schools" opened up offering as little of a week to two of training and ONLY teaching how to pass the road test.  This cut pay rates by flooding the industry with drivers, the good drivers like me said "eff this, I'll do something else besides drive a megabus from P'Burgh to NYC from midnight to 8 in the morning for $10 to $15 an hour."  Now, the good drivers are going elsewhere combined with the fact that a large number of baby boomers are retiring, people who come from a time when driving a bus was a good honest career you could live off of.  Who's left?  People who try to drive a double decker bus into the port authority despite many warning signs!

Megabus needs to get rid of these double deckers! As long as they have them these incidents will continue to happen.

Keep the double deckers, fire the idiots!  The buses aren't causing the accidents...  

I put this on the NJT page due to all the chaos it caused for their commuters (and my passengers too). When I finally came around the corner, I was like how did he get around that tight turn on the inner path

You're a mod, right? If you could, bring the topic that's on NJT page over to this one please?

i noticed the problem with these mega bus they dont have their own left and right sheet. the drivers are on their own. that why we keep hearing them crashing into overpass a lot. they all rely on the gps.

WTF are you talking about? They are taken out on all the runs out of whatever garage they work out of. If you knew what you what you were talking about you would know that Megabus doesn't want them to use GPS....they are to stay on the company approved routings.

I think he meant to go to the outside lane to make that U-Turn back on to 40th St and screwed up and went to the inside and got stuck.

WTF are you talking about? They are taken out on all the runs out of whatever garage they work out of. If you knew what you what you were talking about you would know that Megabus doesn't want them to use GPS....they are to stay on the company approved routings.

I think he meant to go to the outside lane to make that U-Turn back on to 40th St and screwed up and went to the inside and got stuck.

Agreed. Once he got on the inside and past the Jersey Barrier, he was screwed

hey bz then explain why all these megabus keep crashing into the overpass? explain!!!!!

Everytime they have hit the overpass the bus has been off the company approved routings. That's on the drivers....it's Megabus company policy.....actually let me correct myself, Coach USA policy for whatever company is using the DDs that if get detoured or go off of routing at any point that the driver is to pull over and contact dispatch immediately.

I sat though initial Coach USA training in Elizabeth at the beginning of the year, they stress it consistaly for those drivers who are going to Mega. In any case anybody operating the DDs should be extra vigilant anyways seeing that the buses are 2ft taller than any other line coach on the road.

Everytime they have hit the overpass the bus has been off the company approved routings. That's on the drivers....it's Megabus company policy.....actually let me correct myself, Coach USA policy for whatever company is using the DDs that if get detoured or go off of routing at any point that the driver is to pull over and contact dispatch immediately.

I sat though initial Coach USA training in Elizabeth at the beginning of the year, they stress it consistaly for those drivers who are going to Mega. In any case anybody operating the DDs should be extra vigilant anyways seeing that the buses are 2ft taller than any other line coach on the road.

I agree completely. Every mega bus crash has been off route. Having sat thru the same class I can tell you the don't like GPS and drill into you if you go off route call your dispatcher

I agree completely. Every mega bus crash has been off route. Having sat thru the same class I can tell you the don't like GPS and drill into you if you go off route call your dispatcher

Jarob1020,

Two words for you: Miss Jo!

Archived