MTA bus driver calls Muslim boy, 10, 'terrorist' and denies him ride: suit

Harry

Ok, I stopped reading at page 5, but you guys have to get something through your heads: If a person wants to bomb a bus with a suicide vest they're just going to walk into the middle of the bus. The driver asking them to leave will have no effect a terrorist would simply keep going. These actions are far from heroic, they didn't prevent anything and wouldn't have prevented anything even if the driver was right.

Did the driver manhandle the boy off of the bus?

Do you guys realize you can pack 70lb of explosive into a bag, more than enough to devastate a bus even at the front door.

If the driver really believed that the boy was a threat they would've acted physically instead of calling the boy names and publicly humiliating him.

No I think he could've closed the door faster rather than being physical.  He would have to get out of his seat for that.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the driver's sake they better have called the police.

I still don't get how someone standing at the door of a bus is a threat, at least if he was in the bus you could say it was imminent. Logic is absent from this event, that's going to cost the driver their job.

I can only imagine what this young man is going through right now. No one should be subjected to such abuse (especially by TA workers), verbal or otherwise. As mentioned, the operator was in clear violation of Title VI and as such should be disciplined (more likely than not terminated).

In addition, as mentioned this is not the first time this has happened within the TA, so if anything else it'd be interesting it the MTA chooses to look into on going cases and prevention of similar offenses.

As for the thread itself, I'm not going to bother quoting anyone as in most cases it just drags the discussion and accomplishes nothing. All I have to say is that I'm literally appalled at some of the responses here, not only in regard to the altercation between the young man and the operator, but also in regard to cultural differences in general. I'd personally expect some level of tolerance (or at least some restraint) but it seems as some can't even manage that.

If all else it just goes to show how perception and tolerance as a whole is skewed, which really sheds some light on as to why such attacks and other altercations continue to occur even in this age.

-Well all I know is most people IF they do pray on public transportation usually don't do so out loud.  It's usually done in silence.  

It's his First Amendment right to do so. That's the beauty of this country - theoretically, we protect the rights of the minority from the tyranny of the majority. (In practice, we get cases like this because people are ignorant).

No I think he could've closed the door faster rather than being physical.  He would have to get out of his seat for that.

To be fairly honest, let's be real - with the amount of explosives a bag can carry, a glass/plastic/steel door is not going to offer much protection. We don't have Humvees for buses (and we really, really shouldn't.)

It's been just over half a day since I saw this, and I still have no words. And some of these responses, I can't even read.

I'm sure if a Christian of a Jew did the same thing, the word "terrorist" wouldn't even come to mind.

But then again, their own respective reign of extremism ended centuries ago..............................for the most part.

I'm not sure of what happened to cause this...there is definitely more to this story than what the media is saying.

Not everything is a media conspiracy. Unless the had a bomb on his person, there was no cause to call a prepubescent boy a terrorist and throw him off the bus.

This thread sucks and so does VG8. By the way mr racist(VG8) MUSLIMS were also murdered on 9/11 in those towers. I think u and that B/O should both be fired 4 ur stupidity. That boy was a paying customer regardless what he was saying in his language. Also I didn't know they taught us Arabic at zerega? Lol. How did that B/O even know that the boy was speaking Arabic or Hindi or Urdu or Farsi? What cause they all sound a like. Lol. Did I mention this thread sucks.

How do you all tolerate VG8?  He has the intelligence and mindset of a spoiled 15 year old Caucasian female.  I'm sure he wears diapers in case he encounters any riff-raff (i.e. minorities) in his travels.  I'd say about 80% of his posts are tinged with racism and classism.  Absolutely disgusting individual.  If there's ever another major financial collapse I hope it strikes him square in the heart so he is forced to ride the bus with the "riff-raff" and move into a neighborhood where perhaps the highest of the high "Riverdale" folk are not welcomed.

It's his First Amendment right to do so. That's the beauty of this country - theoretically, we protect the rights of the minority from the tyranny of the majority. (In practice, we get cases like this because people are ignorant).

To be fairly honest, let's be real - with the amount of explosives a bag can carry, a glass/plastic/steel door is not going to offer much protection. We don't have Humvees for buses (and we really, really shouldn't.)

Well you're right... He has a right to get on and do as he pleases, but if his actions cause the driver to fear for his life or his passengers' lives then those are the consequences that he has to deal with which is what he should be doing rather than filing an egregious lawsuit.

Well you're right... He has a right to get on and do as he pleases, but if his actions cause the driver to fear for his life or his passengers' lives then those are the consequences that he has to deal with which is what he should be doing rather than filing an egregious lawsuit.

How is it egregious? It's totally a legitimate lawsuit.

How is it egregious? It's totally a legitimate lawsuit.

We don't know what this driver has dealt with previously or why he reacted the way that he did, but if he felt in any way endangered then I would think he has the right not to allow a passenger on his bus, and that seems to be the case here.

We don't know what this driver has dealt with previously or why he reacted the way that he did, but if he felt in any way endangered then I would think he has the right not to allow a passenger on his bus, and that seems to be the case here.

The kid was just saying a prayer...

Besides, chances of attacking the burbs or the outer portions of the city and it's financial districts are slim to none. There's nothing beneficial to them there. Just a case of overreacting (tied with possible racism).

The kid was just saying a prayer...

Besides, chances of attacking the burbs or the outer portions of the city and it's financial districts are slim to none. There's nothing beneficial to them there. Just a case of overreacting (tied with possible racism).

Well that's easy for you to say.  You weren't in his shoes.  If the kid did have anything he's behind the wheel, with a very slim chance of being able to get away or do anything to protect himself.  These drivers on the local buses especially endure tons of physical and verbal abuse daily and those cases continue to increase yearly with no remedies in sight from the (MTA), so it's not that hard to understand his situation in being precautious.

Well that's easy for you to say.  You weren't in his shoes.  If the kid did have anything he's behind the wheel, with a very slim chance of being able to get away or do anything to protect himself.  These drivers on the local buses especially endure tons of physical and verbal abuse daily and those cases continue to increase yearly with no remedies in sight from the (MTA), so it's not that hard to understand his situation in being precautious.

What does physical and verbal abuse have to deal with this?

The boy didn't even touch or curse at him.

What does physical and verbal abuse have to deal with this?

The boy didn't even touch or curse at him.

We only know what the story tells us and nothing more and maybe because the kid was not speaking in English, the B/O thought that he was verbally abusing him.... Who knows.... I've seen some B/O's on the local bus on the verge of a breakdown from being verbally abused throughout the course of the day.  Also, when people don't speak a particular language, they can automatically think that someone is speaking ill of them and sometimes it's true and sometimes it isn't.  I think there is more to this story than the paper has given us.

We only know what the story tells us and nothing more and maybe because the kid was not speaking in English, the B/O thought that he was verbally abusing him.... Who knows.... I've seen some B/O's on the local bus on the verge of a breakdown from being verbally abused throughout the course of the day.  Also, when people don't speak a particular language, they can automatically think that someone is speaking ill of them and sometimes it's true and sometimes it isn't.  I think there is more to this story than the paper has given us.

Oh please...

If the kid wasn't looking at him, then he shouldn't have to worry about it....

Oh please...

If the kid wasn't looking at him, then he shouldn't have to worry about it....

Well like I said, that's easy for you to say.  You don't drive a bus all day.  If anything if the (MTA) was doing more to protect drivers, maybe B/O's wouldn't be so jittery to begin with.  Shall we discuss how many B/O's have been verbally or physically attacked of late?

Well like I said, that's easy for you to say.  You don't drive a bus all day.  If anything if the (MTA) was doing more to protect drivers, maybe B/O's wouldn't be so jittery to begin with.  Shall we discuss how many B/O's have been verbally or physically attacked of late?

You don't drive a bus all day either...

And again, what does assaulting a bus operator have to do with this, if there's no evidence that the boy was trying to assault him?

You don't drive a bus all day either...

And again, what does assaulting a bus operator have to do with this, if there's no evidence that the boy was trying to assault him?

I don't but I know several B/O's that do all day and it's a very stressful, tiring job, not to mention having to do deal with some nut jobs to boot regularly on the local lines.

With regards to assaulting a bus operator, what's important here is if the B/O felt threatened, and apparently he did in some shape or form based on his actions and if he did feel threatened, then that's what it is.  We can't tell him how he should feel.

A prayer is not abuse, nor is being tired all day from dealing with customers an excuse.

Yo VG8 I shoulda known u was a MTA groupie. Lol. On that note u don't mean nothing to this forum or agency. Lol. I drive a bus all day in the queens area and it's known to be the biggest borough on the NYC map. As far as dealing with people I'm actually dealing with all kinds of races,religions,BO(body odors),nut jobs,crackheads,students both young and old, so b4 u say anything else about knowing how B/O's feel and all jittery speak 4 ur self but then u can't cause ur not part of the agency and I thank god ur not cause I don't think u would last a full week on the job. I'm grateful to have this wonderful job and I'm disgusted and ashamed that people like u actually exist. What a shame.

One thing that bugged me of reading eight pages of back and forth.  Some of you seriously need to take an English class again and review your damn spelling and grammar.  Felt like I was reading some first grader's science project work.

Second, VG8 is entitled to his comment and opinion; right or wrong.

Third, I seriously can't believe you guys went nine pages straight of back and forth.

Archived