Queens residents petition QM2 and QM20 changes

Via Garibaldi 8

In my experience, when the Whitestone and Throgs Neck bridges back up, they really get massively backed up. I imagine the CP buses will take one of those bridges to get to the bronx, and likewise with the buses coming to Queens from Eastchester. On those days, I can imagine there will be missed runs unless there is a contingency plan in place. 

In my experience, when the Whitestone and Throgs Neck bridges back up, they really get massively backed up. I imagine the CP buses will take one of those bridges to get to the bronx, and likewise with the buses coming to Queens from Eastchester. On those days, I can imagine there will be missed runs unless there is a contingency plan in place. 

Eastchester buses will pull out to Bayside in the morning.  Google Maps says that this is a 17-minute trip, but they're getting 50 minutes.

College Point buses will pull out to 23rd & Madison in the afternoon, do the BxM9, and then pull in to CP (probably on the Whitestone).

Well I'm glad you're so positive about the change.  What's on paper and what actually happens are two different things.  Typical (MTA)... I've dealt with depot swaps in the past and they were a huge disaster.  

If the union wants it to work well, it will probably work well. If the union wants it to fail, it might well fail.

In the morning, Eastchester runs will get 50 minutes to pull out to Bayside. Google Maps calls that a 17-minute trip, so there's plenty of allowance for bridge congestion.

In the afternoon, College Point runs will get 55 minutes to pull out to 23rd & Madison, which is consistent with the 60 minutes that QV runs get to pull out to 23rd & First.

Long story short, I strongly suspect that the "person" who started this petition isn't so much a "Queens resident" (i.e. bus passenger) but somebody else whose initials are T, W, U.

Interesting I had a feeling they were gonna do that I guess it would allow BXM9 to interline with QM2 on some trips like a giant loop.

Interesting I had a feeling they were gonna do that I guess it would allow BXM9 to interline with QM2 on some trips like a giant loop.

Not that kind of interlining. It will be a simple case of Eastchester buses covering some QM2/20 trips in during the AM peak and College Point buses covering some BxM9 trips during the PM peak.

Yep, and the passengers will be the ones that may suffer...

Passengers shouldn't suffer because professional bus drivers should be able to learn a new route and drive it. 

Again, the westbound L.I.E. won't suddenly back up just because a Bronx bus is using it, and the northbound Bruckner won't suddenly grind to a halt just because a Queens bus is using it.

I said this a couple times before.... I honestly think it's gonna come to a point where it simply won't matter where any/particular route is housed.... I see this QM2/20/BxM9 occurrence as just the tip of the iceberg..... If you are an MTA b/o, you would be expected to know every route in the system & can be summoned to operate any route needed at any time (if you want to be employed, that is) - no more throwing rookies to the more headache forming (meaning, busier) routes, no more "senior" runs or w/e... It'd all almost resemble a taxicab service, except of course the routes will still be fixed routes......

Some b/o's may like that diversity, some b/o's may despise that lack of structure (meaning how the current situation is, with a couple routes operating out of certain depots, and having to only really know those few/select routes)..... But regardless, that is where I think we're headed....

Eastchester buses will pull out to Bayside in the morning.  Google Maps says that this is a 17-minute trip, but they're getting 50 minutes.

College Point buses will pull out to 23rd & Madison in the afternoon, do the BxM9, and then pull in to CP (probably on the Whitestone).

Most days that'll be fine since it's not going with the rush...but I've sat in 2-2.5 hour massive jams on those bridges. Sometimes when the GWB backs up (which is every other day now), it gets so bad that the Whitestone/Throgs Neck back up for miles and miles. I;ve had that at 1 am even! Even if it means CP needs to send an Orion 5 or something to make service, I hope they have a plan for those days.

I said this a couple times before.... I honestly think it's gonna come to a point where it simply won't matter where any/particular route is housed.... I see this QM2/20/BxM9 occurrence as just the tip of the iceberg..... If you are an MTA b/o, you would be expected to know every route in the system & can be summoned to operate any route needed at any time (if you want to be employed, that is) - no more throwing rookies to the more headache forming (meaning, busier) routes, no more "senior" runs or w/e... It'd all almost resemble a taxicab service, except of course the routes will still be fixed routes......

Some b/o's may like that diversity, some b/o's may despise that lack of structure (meaning how the current situation is, with a couple routes operating out of certain depots, and having to only really know those few/select routes)..... But regardless, that is where I think we're headed....

I agree vote mistake

Most days that'll be fine since it's not going with the rush...but I've sat in 2-2.5 hour massive jams on those bridges. Sometimes when the GWB backs up (which is every other day now), it gets so bad that the Whitestone/Throgs Neck back up for miles and miles. I;ve had that at 1 am even! Even if it means CP needs to send an Orion 5 or something to make service, I hope they have a plan for those days.

The College Point buses will use the Throgs Neck or Whitestone after doing their BxM9 trips.

The whole point of this is to even out the spare factor between the 2 depots. I'm more than positive they'll have extra buses lying around just in case...

The whole point of this is to even out the spare factor between the 2 depots. I'm more than positive they'll have extra buses lying around just in case...

I agree, though it also would mean having a B/O around to do the relief run if the othe bus is stuck on the Whitestone. That's been a problem since the cut backs, when they wouldn't fill a run if a B/O called in sick

I agree, though it also would mean having a B/O around to do the relief run if the othe bus is stuck on the Whitestone. That's been a problem since the cut backs, when they wouldn't fill a run if a B/O called in sick

And that's still a big problem in general, not just with certain depots. I've been furious of late because BxM2's have been going MIA.  One was MIA during the morning rush or VERY late.  Another one that was the last bus of the night just never came, stranding probably about 20 of us.  Luckily I was not too far from Grand Central and was able to take Metro-North home.

And that's what the extra list is there for. With more buses lying around, the drivers can cover the run instead of just waiting around for a bus to come back to the depot

As of 9:27AM on 12/11, that petition still has only one signature.  If it really were a true "Queens residents" petition, there would be far more signatures — and they would be public so that people could see which "Queens residents" signed it.

And that's still a big problem in general, not just with certain depots. I've been furious of late because BxM2's have been going MIA.  One was MIA during the morning rush or VERY late.  Another one that was the last bus of the night just never came, stranding probably about 20 of us.  Luckily I was not too far from Grand Central and was able to take Metro-North home.

Waste of time petition get real people I don't think anyone cares.

Nobody cares!!!

As of 9:27AM on 12/11, that petition still has only one signature.  If it really were a true "Queens residents" petition, there would be far more signatures — and they would be public so that people could see which "Queens residents" signed it.

Hmm I have an idea none

I wouldn't worry about that.  I have more background on this than this petition. This is an electronic petition that I was asked to put up since I visit this site.  I can't go into details, but know that Queens residents of these two routes have made thei loud and clear on this issue and there are folks involved looking into this set up and I'll leave it there.

I wouldn't worry about that.  I have more background on this than this petition. This is an electronic petition that I was asked to put up since I visit this site.  I can't go into details, but know that Queens residents of these two routes have made thei loud and clear on this issue and there are folks involved looking into this set up and I'll leave it there.

Annnd the MTA would laugh this out of the office unless it kills reliability you have no case.

Archived