Bronx Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

cotb16

the best ways to go are the Metro North or the BxM4. Thats what I do for the most part. but If you take the subway, the best way to go is the (D). But for the record. the (2)(5) are actually closer to Woodlawn than the (4)

The (D) is in Norwood though... You're suggesting the Bx34 to the (D) then? I took the BxM4 to and from Woodlawn tonight... Was just what it should be... Quick...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering how long it takes for the MTA to even get around to implementing SBS, any sort of talk of extension is just foolishness. Never mind that the entire point of SBS is to provide faster transit to communities without subway service, and the entire route from Gun Hill to Wakefield has the (2) directly overhead.

this man deserves a medal you have my salute. Stole my thunder but you are right. The SBS is for areas without subways.

my new combined Bx10-Bx34 route.

Start at Woodlawn.

current Bx34 routing from Woodlawn to Norwood. current Bx28 routing from Norwood to Paul Ave-205th St. current Bx10 routing from Paul Ave-205th St to Riverdale

Bx28 replaces Bx34 south of Norwood.

Bx26 replaces Bx38 between Bedford Park and Fordham Center

Bx38 is eliminated. Bx28 serves all of Co-Op City

This is gonna be too long and drawn out and delay prone. I don't see this Woodlawn-Riverdale route working. I don't think there's any demand for that type of route IMO. All this for getting rid of the Bx38 to put the Bx26 back to Fordham...and to get rid of the Bx34 to boot

Start at Woodlawn.

current Bx34 routing from Woodlawn to Norwood. current Bx28 routing from Norwood to Paul Ave-205th St. current Bx10 routing from Paul Ave-205th St to Riverdale

Still hellbent on extending the Bx10 (which is what this is, FWIW) to Woodlawn huh.... That part of this plan here I'm not addressing anymore b/c I've expressed my sentiments with it several times in this thread alone (in disagreement).... Same deal with canning the 38 for the prior rendition of the Bx28 in Co-op (except, this I agree with)....

As for what you're doing with the co-op routes (as it relates to such a Bx10 extension of sorts)... Well first off, the Bx38 doesn't run to Fordham Center, so you would have the 26 replace the 28 b/w BPB & Fordham.... You mentioned extending the Bx26 before, and I still don't understand where you see fit that the Bx26 needs to run down to Fordham Center.... Nor is it warranted that the Bx26 and the Bx28 both run from Fordham Center to Co-op City.....

[Canning the Bx38 to revive the old Bx28] & [Extending the Bx26 to Fordham Center] is a stalemate as far as benefits/detriments are concerned for Co-op patrons....

....All this for getting rid of the Bx38 to put the Bx26 back to Fordham...and to get rid of the Bx34 to boot

It's worse - This is all for the sake of getting rid of the Bx34.

Everything else is secondary.

Still hellbent on extending the Bx10 (which is what this is, FWIW) to Woodlawn huh.... That part of this plan here I'm not addressing anymore b/c I've expressed my sentiments with it several times in this thread alone (in disagreement).... Same deal with canning the 38 for the prior rendition of the Bx28 in Co-op (except, this I agree with)....

As for what you're doing with the co-op routes (as it relates to such a Bx10 extension of sorts)... Well first off, the Bx38 doesn't run to Fordham Center, so you would have the 26 replace the 28 b/w BPB & Fordham.... You mentioned extending the Bx26 before, and I still don't understand where you see fit that the Bx26 needs to run down to Fordham Center.... Nor is it warranted that the Bx26 and the Bx28 both run from Fordham Center to Co-op City.....

[Canning the Bx38 to revive the old Bx28] & [Extending the Bx26 to Fordham Center] is a stalemate as far as benefits/detriments are concerned for Co-op patrons....

BxM4 (the member) felt all nostalgic as far as restoring Bx26 service to Fordham and having the 28 serve all of Co-Op...I mean if he had proof that Allerton riders got royally screwed out of direct Fordham access, I'd understand.

BTW some Bx38's go to/from Fordham. I checked the schedule 

Edited by Q43LTD

The last thing the 10 needs is an extension, it'd be nice if they ran it straight on Goulden to BPB.

Extend the Bx28 to the current Bx34 Fordham Terminal, N/B runs via valentine-Fordham-GC-192-Kingsbridge. the Bx22 short turns take over the old Bx28 terminal, N/B via Fordham-concourse and terminate at KB/GC Bx1/2 stop, right on KB, layover and first s/b stop at 192 St. All of the routes in the area should directly connect with the SBS

the Bx38 has a few runs to Fordham Center on Sundays; I can't say the bx26 to FC was/is needed but you have a 3 seat ride from Allerton av to W Kingsbridge Rd (bx3/9/32) without it. Not sure how many people make that trip but it's something that's personally inconvenienced me in the past.

If anything were to replace 34 service, it'd be the Bx16.

BxM4 (the member) felt all nostalgic as far as restoring Bx26 service to Fordham and having the 28 serve all of Co-Op...I mean if he had proof that Allerton riders got royally screwed out of direct Fordham access, I'd understand.

BTW some Bx38's go to/from Fordham. I checked the schedule 

http://www.straphangers.org/diaries/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=238936

there were protests about taking the Bx26 from Fordham

http://www.straphangers.org/diaries/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=238936

there were protests about taking the Bx26 from Fordham

I see, but all for eliminating the Bx38 (he feels is useless) and combining the Bx10 and 34 (insert reason here). He probably would have still felt the Bx25 was useless had it taken on that pattern (Co-Op to Bedford Park rush hours) which wouldn't have been a bad idea at the time. This is another case of the (MTA) fudging stats...claiming that Fordham riders wanted the 28 over the 26

the main purpose of all of this was to get one route from Riverdale-Woodlawn. Thats why I said I combined Bx10-Bx34. 

if you would say the Bx16 would be better to replace the Bx34 south of Norwood then that is fine. Keep the Bx28 the way it is. And I dont see anything wrong with extending the Bx26 back down to Fordham Center.

the main purpose of all of this was to get one route from Riverdale-Woodlawn. Thats why I said I combined Bx10-Bx34. 

if you would say the Bx16 would be better to replace the Bx34 south of Norwood then that is fine. Keep the Bx28 the way it is. And I dont see anything wrong with extending the Bx26 back down to Fordham Center.

Is there any demand for a Riverdale-Woodlawn route? How many people do you know are trying to get from Riverdale to Woodlawn?

Both Riverdale and Woodlawn are known for their Irish-American populations.  Woodlawn is known moreso for Irish immigration as opposed to Riverdale, but both communities have a strong Irish-American population, so there is a connection there. I used to ride the BxM18 with an old Irish guy who lives down in Spuyten Duyvil.  He is/was an engineer and worked for the (MTA) for a while on a special project, but I don't know if he had family in Woodlawn.  If anything, the Irish and Irish-Americans in Riverdale usually moved from Inwood or Kingsbridge, both of which still maintain an Irish presence, though they are no longer Irish enclaves like they were back in the day.  The Irish and Irish-Americans left those areas and moved to Riverdale.  The Irish in Woodlawn are mainly Irish folks from the mainland, with some Irish-Americans.

While people may be commuting between the two areas, I would imagine that this is usually done via car, and not via public transit and not in large enough numbers to necessitate a service between the two areas.  Aside from that, while the two areas are close and have an Irish presence, they are two very different communities.  Woodlawn is much more ethnic than Riverdale, and you really feel the Irish presence there. It's a very down-to-earth neighborhood, and I have had folks chat me up on numerous occasions while waiting for the BxM4.  Riverdale meanwhile has some old time WASPS still there (as in English folks). I hear them on the express bus (usually on the BxM1 in the mornings from time to time).  Them along with the Manhattanites and the Jews (many of whom aren't nearly as religious as the usual Jews) make for a much less ethnic feeling neighborhood, though still very white in make up like Woodlawn.  

I commute to and from Riverdale and Woodlawn twice a week at the minimum, via the express buses, but I also make stops in the city in between.  The two communities are separated by Van Cortlandt Park, but the expressways can cut down commuting between the two areas quite nicely which makes driving by car very attractive. With the express buses I do the commute in about an hour and 15 minutes or less (BxM4 to the BxM2), and that is with the stop in the city. I would NEVER commute via the local buses and I don't see folks in Woodlawn or Riverdale doing that either.  Both areas are very insular and like to stay within their own communities, which means little to no straying into neighborhoods outside of their own unless they are going to Manhattan or Westchester.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I do commute between Riverdale and Woodlawn from time to time and I do it via Bx10/Bx34. I was saying it would be nice if they had a one route connection there. Also, nobody really takes the Bx34 from Woodlawn to Fordham so it wouldnt affect many people if they re-routed the Bx34

I do commute between Riverdale and Woodlawn from time to time and I do it via Bx10/Bx34. I was saying it would be nice if they had a one route connection there. Also, nobody really takes the Bx34 from Woodlawn to Fordham so it wouldnt affect many people if they re-routed the Bx34

Well the problem is both neighborhoods are quite isolated (Woodlawn by the huge cemetery, Van Cortlandt Park and Bronx River) and the hills, so the easiest way to get from one to the other is by car.  The Bx10 does too much meandering and I just simply refuse to ride the local buses in the Bronx, so I commute from Woodlawn to Riverdale via the express bus.  It's the safest, cleanest way to go. The other option is Metro-North.

I do commute between Riverdale and Woodlawn from time to time and I do it via Bx10/Bx34. I was saying it would be nice if they had a one route connection there. Also, nobody really takes the Bx34 from Woodlawn to Fordham so it wouldn't affect many people if they re-routed the Bx34

From time to time...so you made this route for your personal gain. You claim nobody takes the Bx34 from Woodlawn to Fordham.

Start at Woodlawn.

or easier but faster idea keep bx34 & reroute bx16 via I-87 to the (1) and have it run down Broadway to marble hill mnrr. Now you can switch to bx7 or metro north or bx10 for quick Riverdale access. All without extending bx10. Edited by qjtransitmaster

or easier but faster idea keep bx34 & reroute bx16 via I-87 to the (1) and have it run down Broadway to marble hill mnrr. Now you can switch to bx7 or metro north or bx10 for quick Riverdale access. All without extending bx10.

What the hell are you smoking? Again with this Bx16 on the Deegan shit?

You don't see anything wrong with extending the Bx26 to Fordham Center? You must barely use the Bx26 then; that route tends to freakin crawl on Allerton! At times, it's even slower than the Bx28.... To visit relatives, I would often take the slow Bx26 just to avoid the nzzza BS that plagues the Bx28....

You still haven't given a reason as to why there's a need for BOTH the Bx26 & the Bx28 to run to Fordham Center.....

From time to time...so you made this route for your personal gain. You claim nobody takes the Bx34 from Woodlawn to Fordham.

He's right with the claim, but that's a stupid reason to try to get rid of the route.... Nothing wrong with a bus route having multiple markets/riderbases.... Routes generally aren't meant to be ridden from end to end anyway......

What the hell are you smoking? Again with this Bx16 on the Deegan shit?

You remember that shit too huh....

You don't see anything wrong with extending the Bx26 to Fordham Center? You must barely use the Bx26 then; that route tends to freakin crawl on Allerton! At times, it's even slower than the Bx28.... To visit relatives, I would often take the slow Bx26 just to avoid the nzzza BS that plagues the Bx28....

You still haven't given a reason as to why there's a need for BOTH the Bx26 & the Bx28 to run to Fordham Center.....

I read somewhere that the MTA conducted a study on both buses in 2000 and saw that passengers going to Fordham Ctr used the Bx28 and not the Bx26. I wonder if that's the reason why the TA chose to run some Bx28 buses to Fordham Ctr because Fordham service wasn't reliable back then, they didn't go there on Sundays, and there were short turns to Moshulu Pkwy.

Edited by IRT Bronx Express

"Calm my shit" Who in Woodlawn in trying to get to the (1)?

I agree with you there Q43. nobody needs to get to the (1) , for the most part they are taking the Bx16 or 34 to get to the (4), or the Bx31 to get to the (2)(5). A few take the (D) and quite a few take the Metro North. And a couple take the BxM4.