New York City may get up to 12 inches of snow on Thursday

Harry

post-5097-0-29780700-1392299316_thumb.jpg
It will be another day of tough sledding in the snow-weary city. Public schools are open as the city braces for another dose of unwanted winter weather, with snow giving way to a wintry mix Thursday afternoon before switching back to snow for the evening commute. The National Weather Service forecasts 8 to 12 inches of snow to accumulate in the city. Approxmiately 1,700 snow plows and 450 salt spreaders were deployed on city streets once the flakes began falling, a Department of Sanitation spokesman said. The city Office of Emergency Management has issued a hazardous travel advisory and winter storm warning for Thursday and Friday. People are encouraged to avoid the roads and use mass transit, which has not been hit with any major delays or disruptions as of Thursday morning.

Read more: Source

The responses to this are quite hilarious. I do understand why NYC schools rarely close though: de-facto daycare and all that. Besides, unless these parents' kids have dicks for teachers, I doubt much will get done anyhow if the majority of the students/staff don't show up.

Boy the Harlem Line was screwed up tonight, there was HOURLY service to Wassaic making every single stop! Literally!

This Train made every single stop all the way from GCT to Wassaic. Why run shoreliner cars? 1 train for every Harlem Line commuter in 7 cars. Sad...

I feel like every time Chancellor Farina defends her choice to keep schools open, she is insinuating that parents can't feed their own kids...

"“If people can go to work, then kids can to school,” she told ABC. “Many of our kids don’t get a hot lunch and, in many cases breakfast, unless they go to school."

Uhh... parents can feed kids and as far as I'm concerned, school is not a soup kitchen. Also, I don't think they've even changed the menu since I was last time I was in school. School lunch is about as edible as plastic wrap.

Also, Farina sounded like an insensitive b*tch during her midday press conference when she said "it is beautiful day." Of course she can say that, when her ass isn't out there hauling snow and ice off your car. The next time wants to say something that stupid, she should keep your f****** mouth shut.

As for De Blasio, his approval rating is probably what the temperature is right now. He could have impressed New Yorkers and gotten off to a great start in office had he not screwed up with everything imaginable during these winter storms. I sure as hell hope that he has something else in store for NYers because as Al Roker said it, he;s nothing more than a one term mayor right now.

Is there a reason why NYC Public Schools are open during snowstorms? The Chancellor and the Mayor come off as out of touch with the people when they do something like this.

apparently there is a policy on why schools don't close since there have been 11 snow days since 1978

Public schools were open during most snowstorms for years. I can count the fingers on both hands when they were closed during my lifetime. People blasting DiBlasio should blast Bloomberg,Giuliani,Koch,Dinkins and Beame for keeping schools open during monster storms. People are too soft and forget the past.

Citywide attendance at public schools was reported at 44% on Thursday. The average is 89%. The point is about half of the students that would be there on an average day were there in the snow. The MTA held up decently and for those who were up to it, it was commutable. Colleges didn't close and most businesses were open so people still had work to go to and lives to move on with. Let's not act like 2 feet or more fell out there. I think the decision to keep schools open was a good one given that people did make it to school. I'm sure school staff citywide expected students not to make it so schools being 'open' is basically a formality. The last thing we need to do is start acting like southern cities and shutting everything down at the cry of the word 'snow'. 

TL;DR- If many schoolkids braved the snow to go and the adults still had lives to live I don't see the excuse for the others to not have gone. Keeping schools open was more than okay in my book. 

Archived