MTA 2013 Ridership Statistics

NewFlyer 230

The Q21 isn't going to be eliminated or eradicated. The Q21 has had the same headways since for about 7 years already, and if anything, the Q21 service span has been increased over the same period of time.

You don't know that, every year the Q11 and Q21 keep losing riders the statistics show it. Obviously the Q52 is going to keep growing and eventually the weakest route the Q21 is going to lose trips to the Q52. No I mean come on next year the Q11 might have 4400 average riders on the weekdays and the Q21 may have 1600 you really think the MTA is going to let both of those route run together. One has to go simple as that.

I have to side w/ New Flyer here in this small back & forth... I also think they eventually want to streamline (local) service along Woodhaven (although I have no idea which one they'd opt to keep if push came to shove..... So I say, the question more or less is gonna be, who's goin end up gettin the shaft -  Lindenwood (Q21) or Howard/Hamilton Beach (Q11)....

Q11's usage has been significantly dropping the past handful of years [due to the revitalizing of the Q21 since '09 & due to increased LTD service along Woodhaven (via the advent of the Q52)] & the Q21 has lost a ton of ridership last year (also due to increased LTD service along Woodhaven)....

You look at the stats here, and it indicates that riders are abandoning local service for LTD service along Woodhaven/X-bay..... Can't say I blame them though....

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to side w/ New Flyer here in this small back & forth... I also think they eventually want to streamline (local) service along Woodhaven (although I have no idea which one they'd opt to keep if push came to shove..... So I say, the question more or less is gonna be, who's goin end up gettin the shaft -  Lindenwood (Q21) or Howard/Hamilton Beach (Q11)....

Q11's usage has been significantly dropping the past handful of years [due to the revitalizing of the Q21 since '09 & due to increased LTD service along Woodhaven (via the advent of the Q52)] & the Q21 has lost a ton of ridership last year (also due to increased LTD service along Woodhaven)....

You look at the stats here, and it indicates that riders are abandoning local service for LTD service along Woodhaven/X-bay..... Can't say I blame them though....

My money is on Lindenwood (Q21) getting the shaft due to MTA logic of duplicate services. 

My money is on Lindenwood (Q21) getting the shaft due to MTA logic of duplicate services. 

Well if that's the case & if they really wanna be frugal, they would send the Q11 to Lindenwood & have the Q41 running to Howard & Hamilton beach(es).... Q41 headways are greater than that of the Q11, so they wont have to worry about short turning too many trips at Pitkin or whatever.....

When I'm on the BxM11 in Pelham Parkway, I see pretty crowded Bx22s...

Yeah, Bx22 carries heavy from Castle Hill projects to commercial Fordham.... I've been a couple packed (SRO) on the NB Bx22 after having came of the Q44 from Flushing.... Speaking of which, isn't Castle Hill (6) closed for renovation in both directions? Wonder how those people on the 22 that normally xfer over to the (6) are gettin around; probablty riding it out from Kingsbridge (4) or something, IDK......

I guess Kanarsie's point was that artics should be ran on Brooklyn routes that carry heavy.....

The devil is a lie

** YT video **

In reality that is an expression I am using to call out you on saying that because the fact the Q21 is getting the shaft is not true

It's easy to get into a habit of QJT bashing (lol), but to be fair here, you're "calling out" the wrong person.....

- QJT was only giving his guess; meaning, an opinion....

- New Flyer230 stated that a driver told him about how the MTA is trying to get rid of the Q21 in an unnoticeable way...

Im not trying to turn this into a Q11/Q21 discussion, but if any of the three local services gets shafted or eradicated, its the Hamilton Beach Branch of the Q11, and with good reason too (didn't feel like quoting people).

Too late for that....

Anyway, guessing Hamilton Beach trips be slated for eradication is the safe bet....

This trend of drastic declining ridership keeps up w/ the Woodhaven locals & I think all local service south of the (A) in particular (meaning, the Q11, Q21, and Q41) is gonna see some kind of shake up/mix up....

M101 ridership went up, for the first time in years. I'm pretty surprised, I have no idea why that happened. Also, the M98, M102 and M103 lost less ridership last year than they have in the years before, so maybe ridership is going up on the corridor? Incidentally, ridership on the M15 also went down, for the first time since 2010. Understandable, since that route is pretty unreliable at times, but still a little odd. The M1 also saw a ridership increase, but all of the other 5th Av routes are losing ridership like normal.  

I also noticed how the B48 had a huge spike in ridership after being restored last year, that's good for the route. 

The M1 also saw a ridership increase, but all of the other 5th Av routes are losing ridership like normal.  

The face that the M1 out of all the 5th Ave routes got a bump scares me.  I guess I understand how the 5th/Madison Ave section of those routes work but for the M7 & M10 to keep pretty consistant numbers means that Harlem & Washington Heights will respect the service if it respects them.  I just wish they woud improve on M1-M4 service instead of ways cutting it down.

In othere news, no shock M116 service is in on the rise as that area develops and the mall evolves.

M101 ridership went up, for the first time in years. I'm pretty surprised, I have no idea why that happened. Also, the M98, M102 and M103 lost less ridership last year than they have in the years before, so maybe ridership is going up on the corridor? Incidentally, ridership on the M15 also went down, for the first time since 2010. Understandable, since that route is pretty unreliable at times, but still a little odd. The M1 also saw a ridership increase, but all of the other 5th Av routes are losing ridership like normal.  

That's precisely the problem... A lot of people jump on the M15 when they see it coming and when there are long delays, they just walk.  I'm usually lucky and can get one but depending on where one is located on Bus Time, if the weather is nice, I'll walk to get some exercise and check out some of the latest restaurants along 2nd Avenue.  If you have to make another connection, in some cases, you're better off just walking as you don't have to worry about traffic conditions, etc. 

The face that the M1 out of all the 5th Ave routes got a bump scares me.  I guess I understand how the 5th/Madison Ave section of those routes work but for the M7 & M10 to keep pretty consistant numbers means that Harlem & Washington Heights will respect the service if it respects them.  I just wish they woud improve on M1-M4 service instead of ways cutting it down.

The M1 in Harlem, that's where I would imagine the ridership is growing, as I see large crowds waiting for the M1 when I'm on the express bus in the morning.  The 5th Ave corridor overall should be losing ridership because the traffic along 5th has steadily become almost unbearable.  Mount Sinai seems to be one problem that clogs up traffic, but then the Museum traffic is another bottle neck as well.  Too much double parking and so on in certain parts and the crowds waiting for the buses along 5th just swell.  Some eventually give up and walk to the subway.  When that happens you know it's bad because the Upper East Side crowd, many of them don't like taking the subway, especially the older crowd due to the stairs, etc.

Anyone know what the huge jump in the Q24 is all about?

Probably the fact that it was restored to its former terminal last year, just like the B48. But if that 15% increase is huge, then the B48's 52% increase was massive, or, ginormous  :lol:

Likely an increase of people using the Q24 to get to/from Jamaica (over the Q56).... I have been noticing this, since I've been taking the Q56 after disembarking the LIRR..... Also, to what Mysterious2 said, the fact that it was restored to Lafayette/Patchen.....

What I can't quite figure out though is the increase in ridership past B'way Junction.... Compared to before, you're seeing more ppl. still on Q24's past B'way Junction (PM buses anyway, don't know about AM usage, WB).... Don't remember who said it, and it would be somewhat difficult to pull off with the short turned B46, but having buses run over to Utica there would increase ridership even more.... Because what I have noticed in years past (and currently, b/c I've done it myself a few times), are ppl. walking from Lafayette/Patchen, for the SB B46....

So yeh, I think these two factors may explain the boost in usage on the Q24....

To be even more specific on the first factor, There are more ppl. coming off Q10's specifically that xfer over to the Q24, compared to the Q56....

What I noticed whilst taking the Q56 is that, there aren't near as many ppl. (compared to years prior) that embark/disembark over at Lefferts (for the Q10 anyway)....

The main reason I don't bother with the Q24 coming off the LIRR (for Alabama av for the B12) is b/c the chances of my bus being more packed @ Sutphin is much greater.... Granted, there are packed Q56's too, but I can get a seat more often than not.... That, and the fact that the Q24 still is a slow crawl along Atlantic...... Maybe a LTD would help that route some, IDK....

Well here I go again:

Bronx

Bx12

Bx1/2

Bx19

Bx36

Bx9

Bx40/42

Bx15

Bx6

Bx41

Bx39

Brooklyn

B46

B6

B44

B35

B41

B82

B15

B38

B8

B1

Manhattan

M15

M14

M101

M86

M4

M34

M79

M60

M100

M96

Queens

Q58

Q44

Q27

Q46

Q17

Q43

Q20

Q85

Q5

Q54

Staten Island

S53

S79

S48/98

S46/96

S78

S44/94

S74/84

S62/92

S76/86

S40/90

NYCT Express

X1

X17

X27/37

X10

X28/38

X12/42

X22

X5

X7

X2

(MTA) Bus

Q10

Q65

Q25

Q23

Q53

Q60

Q111

Q66

B103

Q6

(MTA) Bus Express

BxM7

BxM9

QM5

QM2

BxM8

BxM10

BxM1

QM15

BM1

BxM11

Any thoughts? I'm kind of shocked how the Q111 outranked the 113...

- Lol @ the B35 losing that much ridership (according to stats).... I have to attribute this to farebeating, because believe it or not, the amount of dollar cabs are actually decreasing around here.....

- The Q54 looks out of place being in the top ten in Queens (for NYCT routes)...

- I find the BxM10 having more riders than the QM15 rather shocking..... smh at the BM1 being the only BM in the top 10 (how close was the BM2 to being in the top 10, since you compiled this list?)

- Thought the B103 would be higher up on such a list..... Then again, if it's right under the Q66, forget it....

- Can't quite put my finger on it, but the top 10 list of manhattan routes appears unusual (than what we're accustomed to usually seeing).. Not sure if it's due to an omission or an insertion though.....

Off top, that's all I got for now.....

- Lol @ the B35 losing that much ridership (according to stats).... I have to attribute this to farebeating, because believe it or not, the amount of dollar cabs are actually decreasing around here.....

- The Q54 looks out of place being in the top ten in Queens (for NYCT routes)...

- I find the BxM10 having more riders than the QM15 rather shocking..... smh at the BM1 being the only BM in the top 10 (how close was the BM2 to being in the top 10, since you compiled this list?)

- Thought the B103 would be higher up on such a list..... Then again, if it's right under the Q66, forget it....

- Can't quite put my finger on it, but the top 10 list of manhattan routes appears unusual (than what we're accustomed to usually seeing).. Not sure if it's due to an omission or an insertion though.....

For the Q54, ever since I did this, it has always been in the top 10 for Queens. The Q43 made the top 10. The Q32 dropped out...

The BM2 missed the top 10 by 4 spots. The QM6, 20 and 24 outranked it. (not in that order though). The BM2 is the second heaviest used among the BM's...

That's the first time I made included all the routes. Had I based it solely on Queens, the Q113 makes the top 10 in that department...

It does look unusual. Had to do a double take myself. The M96 outranked the M7...

Bm1 why are you surprised? Look at it

The QM15 doesn't have service to Manhattan until like 11PM and to Queens starting at 7 AM, and it's off peak frequencies, so it makes sense. 

Well here I go again:

Bronx

Bx12

Bx1/2

Bx19

Bx36

Bx9

Bx40/42

Bx15

Bx6

Bx41

Bx39

Brooklyn

B46

B6

B44

B35

B41

B82

B15

B38

B8

B1

Manhattan

M15

M14

M101

M86

M4

M34

M79

M60

M100

M96

Queens

Q58

Q44

Q27

Q46

Q17

Q43

Q20

Q85

Q5

Q54

Staten Island

S53

S79

S48/98

S46/96

S78

S44/94

S74/84

S62/92

S76/86

S40/90

NYCT Express

X1

X17

X27/37

X10

X28/38

X12/42

X22

X5

X7

X2

(MTA) Bus

Q10

Q65

Q25

Q23

Q53

Q60

Q111

Q66

B103

Q6

(MTA) Bus Express

BxM7

BxM9

QM5

QM2

BxM8

BxM10

BxM1

QM15

BM1

BxM11

Any thoughts? I'm kind of shocked how the Q111 outranked the 113...

Q111 is more frequent than Q113 local and LTD branches so no surprise there

The QM15 doesn't have service to Manhattan until like 11PM and to Queens starting at 7 AM, and it's off peak frequencies, so it makes sense. 

Not to me, it doesn't..... Especially given that the QM15 tends to have more riders/trip over the BxM10....

The fact that the BxM10 has a greater span, I'm not putting all that much stock in - because a lot of those later trips carry air, or pretty close to it....

What would have been a better point for you to bring up, is the fact that the BM5 done took riders away from the QM15....

Not to me, it doesn't..... Especially given that the QM15 tends to have more riders/trip over the BxM10....

The fact that the BxM10 has a greater span, I'm not putting all that much stock in - because a lot of those later trips carry air, or pretty close to it....

What would have been a better point for you to bring up, is the fact that the BM5 done took riders away from the QM15....

Not necessarily... Those BxM10 trips during the week can carry alright back to the city because of Albert Einstein/Montefiore.  A lot of those workers use those express bus.  I took a 16:30 or 17:00 trip back from a co-workers' house in Morris Park and that bus was packed.  The weekends however is when trips can be light.  

Archived