MTA 2013 Ridership Statistics

NewFlyer 230

For any of you who are interested the MTA has posted the 2013 ridership statistics.

For some of them I'm quiet shocked specifically the Bx46 I'm shocked how it ranked higher than the B32 and B84 I'm also quite disappointed that the ridership on the Q10, Q44 dropped a bit. There are some that I am happy for such as my home route the Q25.

Here is the link...

http://www.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These numbers are very startling and it's an indication of how terrible traffic is becoming but also how slow some B/O's are driving.  My commute in the mornings has been a nightmare of late, so much so that sometimes it takes me always two hours to get in.  We need more experienced drivers because some of the B/O's drag the line and there are far too many rookies.  The BxM18 is a perfect example of this.  The last bus of the morning is always a good 30 - 40 minutes behind schedule, and it isn't all due to traffic either.

On a positive note, weekend service has helped to make the X27 attractive again, as ridership went up significantly.  All the more reason why the X28 needs to come back...

Q38 ridership went up by 882 riders, which I'm quite surprised

I was also upset to see that overall QM15/BM5 ridership went down on Saturdays. BM5 ridership went down on weekdays, however QM15 service increased, but by only half the amount of the riders lost by the BM5. Guess they're fed up of the always late buses or something.

Also, all the BM- and BxM- bus statistics dropped, which I was surprised with (especially the BxM7, dropped the most of the routes in the 2 categories).

As it showed if you've seen the Q67 as of lately, there is a 64 passenger increase on Weekend service, which is pretty good, because that bus is a critical link.

As for the B32, B84, Bx46 routes, we can't really examine them yet because the routes haven't even ran the entire year (2013). So in conclusion, we'd have to wait until next year to figure that out.

Q38 ridership went up by 882 riders, which I'm quite surprised

I was also upset to see that overall QM15/BM5 ridership went down on Saturdays. BM5 ridership went down on weekdays, however QM15 service increased, but by only half the amount of the riders lost by the BM5. Guess they're fed up of the always late buses or something.

Also, all the BM- and BxM- bus statistics dropped, which I was surprised with (especially the BxM7, dropped the most of the routes in the 2 categories).

As it showed if you've seen the Q67 as of lately, there is a 64 passenger increase on Weekend service, which is pretty good, because that bus is a critical link.

I'm not too shocked by the BxM stats.  Buses have been terribly late getting to the city in the mornings.  As for the BxM7, from what I recall, the demographics of Co-Op is heavily black and supposedly unemployment wise, the black population is still reeling, so it wouldn't be a surprise that ridership stats are down.  Probably the case with just about all of the express bus lines that serve majority black neighborhoods.

How does the MTA count this information? Is there a margin of error?

If you look closely at the statistics, Q20 ridership rose, so I don't think the Q44 drop is really anything special.

Good question. If they simply record the number of metrocard swipes over the year on each route, the margin of error would be pretty low. But if it is based on the records of those guys that take passenger counts every once in a while, it'll be way higher margin of error. 

How does the MTA count this information? Is there a margin of error?

If you look closely at the statistics, Q20 ridership rose, so I don't think the Q44 drop is really anything special.

Honestly I don't know how the Q20 would go up and the Q44 decreased. The Q44 could have been the first Queens route to ever get 30,000 average weekday ridership.

The Q58 is very close to it so hopefully 2014 is a better year.

I'm glad the Q25 went up so hopefully by looking at these numbers the MTA will try to make this route more reliable. Without the Q34's help on Kissena the Q25 could have been number 1 instead of the Q10.

I think people started realizing how much the Q44 actually sucks. It's also possible that they increased headway because of the articulated buses and therefore the first bus to show up is usually a Q20. The Q44 stops every other stop anyway, poor excuse for a "limited".

I always have a feeling the Q52/Q53 LTD is going to cause the Q21 to be eliminated. Numbers on the Q11/Q21 keep going down and I would not be surprised if the Q21 gets eliminated and the Q11 has its overnight service taken away with the Q53 or Q52 in place.I could even see this happening in the future. The Q53 is LTD all day except night when it runs local in replace of Q11 service similar to the Q44 and Q20.

Honestly I don't know how the Q20 would go up and the Q44 decreased. The Q44 could have been the first Queens route to ever get 30,000 average weekday ridership.

The Q58 is very close to it so hopefully 2014 is a better year.

I'm glad the Q25 went up so hopefully by looking at these numbers the MTA will try to make this route more reliable. Without the Q34's help on Kissena the Q25 could have been number 1 instead of the Q10.

I personally think that for certain routes that share a lot of mileage (Q25/34, Q52/53, etc.) the MTA should include a combined count.

It's not as if people are itching to take the Q20 over the Q44; what probably ended up happening was that the people who wanted to travel along Main just happened to take the first bus, and that would be the Q44.

I think people started realizing how much the Q44 actually sucks. It's also possible that they increased headway because of the articulated buses and therefore the first bus to show up is usually a Q20. The Q44 stops every other stop anyway, poor excuse for a "limited".

As far as the other limited buses go, the Q44 isn't actually that bad; the distances between stops are about the same as the Q25 and Q65.

I always have a feeling the Q52/Q53 LTD is going to cause the Q21 to be eliminated. Numbers on the Q11/Q21 keep going down and I would not be surprised if the Q21 gets eliminated and the Q11 has its overnight service taken away with the Q53 or Q52 in place.I could even see this happening in the future. The Q53 is LTD all day except night when it runs local in replace of Q11 service similar to the Q44 and Q20.

The Q53 runs limited 24/7. The Q11 still runs, but only as far south as Pitkin Av at nights

I remember a Q21 driver told me last year that the MTA is trying to get rid of the Q21 but not in a noticeable way. When the Q52 needs more buses they are getting pulled right off the Q21.

The Q21 isn't going to be eliminated or eradicated. The Q21 has had the same headways since for about 7 years already, and if anything, the Q21 service span has been increased over the same period of time.

The Q21 isn't going to be eliminated or eradicated. The Q21 has had the same headways since for about 7 years already, and if anything, the Q21 service span has been increased over the same period of time.

You don't know that, every year the Q11 and Q21 keep losing riders the statistics show it. Obviously the Q52 is going to keep growing and eventually the weakest route the Q21 is going to lose trips to the Q52. No I mean come on next year the Q11 might have 4400 average riders on the weekdays and the Q21 may have 1600 you really think the MTA is going to let both of those route run together. One has to go simple as that.

Nice to see ridership going up on the Q103. I was a bit surprised that ridership on the Q69 dropped.

See here bro:

- Q69 / Q19A ......... 10,662 10,612 10,912 10,432 10,029 9,944 -84 -0.8% 14
- Q100 / Q101R ..... 2,225 2,978 3,393 3,791 4,248 4,332 +84 2.0% 36

Assuming the numbers (in red there) aren't a total coincidence, Those 84 lost riders/day on the Q69 last year, are now taking Q100's as part of their commute.....

------

As for the Q103, yeah that's something to have seen its usage shot up about 20% per day (from 646 in '12 to 781 last year)... Now that I can attribute to the growth in LIC/Hunterspoint down there....

You don't know that, every year the Q11 and Q21 keep losing riders the statistics show it. Obviously the Q52 is going to keep growing and eventually the weakest route the Q21 is going to lose trips to the Q52. No I mean come on next year the Q11 might have 4400 average riders on the weekdays and the Q21 may have 1600 you really think the MTA is going to let both of those route run together. One has to go simple as that.

However, you're not taking into account how the Q52 serves more areas than the Q11, and therefore would have more ridership if it's coming from areas south of Piktin, and the Q53 as well. Not only that, but the Limited service is what is most preffered, most ridership comes from Limited Stops. One reason Q11 ridership has fallen was because of the ridiculous amount of changes different cuts made south of Piktin Avenue, which quite frankly, can explain part of the drop. Not only that, but the improvement of limited service as well is the primary reason. Yes, I do think the MTA is going to let both routes run together, they're just branches of each other in reality, one serving Lindenwood, the other serving Howard Beach and the rest of the communities. Lindenwood does have the right to have a fast commute to the city with a bus + subway combo should they do that (not involving the QM15 for a while). Knowing that this is Lindenwood, they aren't going to no Jamaica, they aren't going to take no (A) or (J), and Woodhaven Blvd does host a lot of shopping centers and other major centers, so it makes sense to have it set up like that. I'd go as far to say that Q21 sees more riders south of Rockaway Blvd than the Q11.

See here bro:

- Q69 / Q19A ......... 10,662 10,612 10,912 10,432 10,029 9,944 -84 -0.8% 14
- Q100 / Q101R ..... 2,225 2,978 3,393 3,791 4,248 4,332 +84 2.0% 36

Assuming the numbers (in red there) aren't a total coincidence, Those 84 lost riders/day on the Q69 last year, are now taking Q100's as part of their commute.....

------

As for the Q103, yeah that's something to have seen its usage shot up about 20% per day (from 646 in '12 to 781 last year)... Now that I can attribute to the growth in LIC/Hunterspoint down there....

You know what I also find coincidential:

QM1 2
1,627 1,484 1,022 597 623 670

+47

QM4
1,052 1,004 883 809 830 784 -47

as well as:

QM12
586 575 541 501 476 469 -7

QM15
1,228 1,236 1,256 1,265 1,328 1,335 +7

And about the Q103, yeah, gentrification has the Q103's ridership rocketing now.

Archived