Q52/Q53 +SelectBusService

Mysterious2train

It's Happening [insert gif here]

Updates from the DOT's website here

The community engagement planning process is underway. The first public workshop will be held on April 24, 2014 from 6:00 – 8:00 pm at the Queens Metropolitan High School. The workshop will include a presentation on Select Bus Service and interactive exercises to gather information and ideas about the neighborhood and the project.

Short-term bus improvements recommended by the Congested Corridors Study will be implemented in the Summer and Fall of 2014, including bus lanes between Metropolitan and Eliot Avenues and on the approaches to Rockaway Boulevard/Liberty Avenue.

Not pictured: Proponents of Rockaway Beach Line re-activation, Q43 riders weeping.  

I'm like 99% sure there's not already a dedicated topic on this. I even did google search. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, nothing precludes Rockaway Beach reactivation after Q53 service is improved (they probably won't give dedicated lanes on the most narrow parts of Woodhaven).

The Q43 would actually be fairly complicated to implement due to all the other routes that use Hillside; of the routes that have been implemented so far, nearly all of them run alone for most of their length (and the S79 doesn't count because it's not really SBS)

I personally don't see the need for SBS along Woodhaven. I think they are doing this primarily for the boarding as Hoffman Drive, Jamaica Avenue & Cross Bay Blvd have high dwell times.

Despite the fact I've never been high on SBS anyway, neither do I....

(Bx12 & M15 I can say made some iota of sense..... M34 & S79, no - and a Woodhaven SBS falls into this category too AFAIC)

I think they're doing it to (eventually) consolidate the Q52 & Q53, I honestly do.... They realize they done f***ed around and implemented 2 full-fledged LTD services along the length of X-bay/Woodhaven......

I personally don't see the need for SBS along Woodhaven. I think they are doing this primarily for the boarding as Hoffman Drive, Jamaica Avenue & Cross Bay Blvd have high dwell times.

(Bx12 & M15 I can say made some iota of sense..... M34 & S79, no - and a Woodhaven SBS falls into this category too AFAIC)

I think they're doing it to (eventually) consolidate the Q52 & Q53, I honestly do.... They realize they done f***ed around and implemented 2 full-fledged LTD services along the length of X-bay/Woodhaven......

The MTA implemented the q52 to serve a different part of the rockaways that was expanding and it's ridership numbers shows that, however if they consolidate them, it's not the end of the world, you can have the same amount of service with 2 different branches. It won't be a service cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This comment got me thinking...I'd love it if the MTA installed off-board payment systems on non-SBS routes at the most heavily used stops, such as the terminal, just to save a little time. Even if you still have to show the receipt to the B/O, it would save a good amount of time.

This comment got me thinking...I'd love it if the MTA installed off-board payment systems on non-SBS routes at the most heavily used stops, such as the terminal, just to save a little time. Even if you still have to show the receipt to the B/O, it would save a good amount of time.

The problem is that if the MTA switches to smartcards or whatever it is they're thinking about in the future, dwell time will be cut significantly; tapping takes milliseconds, as opposed to a card that takes a good couple seconds to dip in and out. On top of that, all-door boarding becomes likely, since smartcard readers are the size of a wallet.

I believe the Q21 is going to get cut because of the Q52/Q53 SBS. The MTA knew putting on them routes on Woodhaven was a mistake and I believe just having the Q11 and Q53 only on Woodhaven would have worked.

I believe the Q21 is going to get cut because of the Q52/Q53 SBS. The MTA knew putting on them routes on Woodhaven was a mistake and I believe just having the Q11 and Q53 only on Woodhaven would have worked.

There is no mistake. Where is the mistake?

There is no mistake. Where is the mistake?

The MTA thought by putting the Q21 on Woodhaven it would gain more riders it did. However it was a duplicate of the Q53 which also went to Rockaway Park. The Q53 was faster and more popular. In 2012 Arverne was a growing neighborhood which could use more service so the Q21 was converted to a LTD and moved there. When the Q52 was created the Q21 was bascially useless so it was cut back to Howard beach. The mistake is the Q21 should have gotten eliminated a while ago and focus on improving the Q11 and Q53. Now with two LTD's the local routes are suffering and continue to drop which is not good.

The MTA implemented the q52 to serve a different part of the rockaways that was expanding and it's ridership numbers shows that, however if they consolidate them, it's not the end of the world, you can have the same amount of service with 2 different branches. It won't be a service cut. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, it aint so-called "the end of the world", but you can be optimistic about it if you like.... The MTA as far as bus service goes, really gives me no reason to be optimistic....

I don't see them keeping the same amount of service if they were to combine the two... If that were the case, there wouldn't be much of a need to combine them to have SBS service on Woodhaven in the first place.... Leave the two LTD services alone.

Generally, services aren't combined to have an equal amount of service kept on them anyway, than if the routes in question were to be left alone.....

Probably.

I mean, if they knew they were gonna go ahead with SBS along Woodhaven blvd, they should have never came out with the 52 in the first place.... Should've went ahead with SBS service, and introduced (what would have been then, new) 53 service towards arverne.....

In other words, the 52 would have remained an unused number & the 21 would have been gone, back when it was a local that ended with the Q35 over on newport/B 116th..... Lindenwood was really the only thing that kept the Q21 alive, before they sent it up along woodhaven to QB with the Q11.....

The MTA thought by putting the Q21 on Woodhaven it would gain more riders it did. However it was a duplicate of the Q53 which also went to Rockaway Park. The Q53 was faster and more popular. In 2012 Arverne was a growing neighborhood which could use more service so the Q21 was converted to a LTD and moved there. When the Q52 was created the Q21 was bascially useless so it was cut back to Howard beach. The mistake is the Q21 should have gotten eliminated a while ago and focus on improving the Q11 and Q53. Now with two LTD's the local routes are suffering and continue to drop which is not good.

This.

• 2 weeks later...

isn't the SBS part of the brand "New York City Transit", Q52 and Q53 are part of the MTA Bus company.

the MTA are going to tear down that wall so Select Bus Service could be on any city bus route

SBS is a brand of the MTA, technically. It's not like MTA Bus is going to get sued by NYCT for using "their brand."

All it is is stickers and a name. The improvements are possible without the flash (but then we wouldn't have federal funding)

How quickly will this SBS run with the Mayor trying to reduce speed limits to 20MPH?

The current push is for a minimum speed limit of 20MPH, with scope for the city to raise it on arterial roads.

The average speed of the bus is almost certainly not anywhere near 30 MPH anyways.

If nothing else, if the Q21 really is cut, that would hopefully lead to more even scheduling on the Q11. The uneven scheduling on the 11 and 21 really bothers me, more than it should (even though that's probably leading to uneven loading on local buses...)

Oh yeah,  for anybody looking to attend the public meeting next week, going by the DOT's page the date and location have been changed, moving to April 23, next Wednesday, at Junior High School 210 Elizabeth Blackwell from 6 to 8.  

I mean, nothing precludes Rockaway Beach reactivation after Q53 service is improved (they probably won't give dedicated lanes on the most narrow parts of Woodhaven).

Perhaps but since SBS is being marketed as a street subway it does seem kind of redundant to make an actual subway afterwards, since Woodhaven Blvd is not quite 2nd Av big or Utica Av big. The Q52 and Q53 are already pretty speedy (I don't even think they really need SBS) and the faster SBS is, the less benefit offered by a Rockaway Beach line. I mean, has the MTA shown any interest in re-activating the line at all? I can't think of anything off the top of my head. This just cements it even more, me thinks.

If nothing else, if the Q21 really is cut, that would hopefully lead to more even scheduling on the Q11. The uneven scheduling on the 11 and 21 really bothers me, more than it should (even though that's probably leading to uneven loading on local buses...)

Oh yeah,  for anybody looking to attend the public meeting next week, going by the DOT's page the date and location have been changed, moving to April 23, next Wednesday, at Junior High School 210 Elizabeth Blackwell from 6 to 8.  

Perhaps but since SBS is being marketed as a street subway it does seem kind of redundant to make an actual subway afterwards, since Woodhaven Blvd is not quite 2nd Av big or Utica Av big. The Q52 and Q53 are already pretty speedy (I don't even think they really need SBS) and the faster SBS is, the less benefit offered by a Rockaway Beach line. I mean, has the MTA shown any interest in re-activating the line at all? I can't think of anything off the top of my head. This just cements it even more, me thinks.

The MTA never takes an active stance on any sort of major capital planning, and hasn't since 1968. SAS and the proposed N extension to LaGuardia was primarily Giuliani, all the 7 extensions were primarily Bloomberg, and the LIRR projects were all Pataki and the Long Island politicians. To put it frankly, there's no point in advocating for a project if no one wants to fund it, and neither the City or the State are in a fantastic financial situation right now.

Think of SBS as a stopgap measure. Using that logic, with the M15 SBS there's no reason for the MTA to pursue a full-length SAS.

The MTA never takes an active stance on any sort of major capital planning, and hasn't since 1968. SAS and the proposed N extension to LaGuardia was primarily Giuliani, all the 7 extensions were primarily Bloomberg, and the LIRR projects were all Pataki and the Long Island politicians. To put it frankly, there's no point in advocating for a project if no one wants to fund it, and neither the City or the State are in a fantastic financial situation right now.

Think of SBS as a stopgap measure. Using that logic, with the M15 SBS there's no reason for the MTA to pursue a full-length SAS.

M15 SBS is nowhere near as speedy as say the Q53/52 ltds. Plus Q52/53 aren't Vancouver 99 bad.

And there will never be a full length Second avenue subway within our lifetimes. So SBS is a stop gap measure for the next 50 years.

Don't be too sure about that; the MTA has said it wants to finish the whole thing by 2035, and is currently updating the 2004 FEIS to do so.

SBS is coming to Queens if we like it or not

The Q113 is slated for SBS too unfortunately once Baisley Park receive there Artics

With Q113 going SBS they are creating a new route Q114 (Parsons/Hillside - ?????)

It will go down Guy R Brewer Blvd tho... No southern Terminal has been said yet but it is in the works tho

Archived