Q52/Q53 +SelectBusService

Mysterious2train

SBS is coming to Queens if we like it or not

The Q113 is slated for SBS too unfortunately once Baisley Park receive there Artics

With Q113 going SBS they are creating a new route Q114 (Parsons/Hillside - ?????)

It will go down Guy R Brewer Blvd tho... No southern Terminal has been said yet but it is in the works tho

I don't think Brewer is good for SBS. It's too narrow. Brewer is at its widest between Baisley and 137...with this 114 route, the southern terminal would have to be Far Rockaway.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Q113 is slated for SBS too unfortunately once Baisley Park receive there Artics

With Q113 going SBS they are creating a new route Q114 (Parsons/Hillside - ?????)

It will go down Guy R Brewer Blvd tho... No southern Terminal has been said yet but it is in the works tho

They'll probably just make a local variant of the Q113.

I don't think Brewer is good for SBS. It's too narrow. Brewer is at its widest between Baisley and 137...with this 114 route, the southern terminal would have to be Far Rockaway.

I don't like the idea of the Q113 getting SBS. Those machines are gonna be tagged and broken. The only routes I think that could get SBS without a problem is the Q46, and Q52/Q53

A lot of Queens route can use artics but that basically it. I don't support Merrick Blvd getting SBS because the Q5 is fairly fast and I also think those kids are going to destroy and tag up the boxes. I remember back when those new bus shelters were put down, they were tagged at least 4 times until they stopped. The problem with Queens is that the streets are too narrow or routes make a lot of turns. The Q27, Q44, Q10 and Q58 would be perfect routes because they have high ridership, all except the Q10 take over an hour to get to its terminals and they have high student usage which during rush hours the bus is always packed. The only problem stopping SBS is the roads themselves. I hope Queens gets some love and has more artic depots, too bad CP can't get them and be just like West Farm with both CNG and Articulated buses.

SBS is a brand of the MTA, technically. It's not like MTA Bus is going to get sued by NYCT for using "their brand."

All it is is stickers and a name. The improvements are possible without the flash (but then we wouldn't have federal funding)

To the MTA it wouldn't make much of a difference since MTA bus is 100% reimbursed with City funding, the City could use the federal funding though.

Lol the way I'll act if Fresh Pond somehow gets artics. It would be litt lmao.

I don't know how my response in the quote changed but yeah it would be great to see Queens get something good for once. I really think it's dumb how College Point takes all those express routes and LGA get all the local knowing that those buses are in and out the depot with little care. CP would be the perfect depot for Artics instead of LGA. CP clearly has more busier routes than LGA with the busiest being the Q23.

Whoever told you that there'll be a new Q114 didn't even say what the purpose of this route was? Saying only that it starts in Jamaica is basically saying nothing at all. 

They'll probably just make a local variant of the Q113.

There already is full-time Q113 local service. 

• 1 month later...

http://www.nyc.gov/html/brt/downloads/pdf/2014-woodhaven-comm-planning-workshop-presentation.pdf

^ Mainly talking about the bus lane plans and the community advisory committee. 

http://www.nyc.gov/html/brt/downloads/pdf/2014-woodhaven-crossbayblvd-public-workshop-summary.pdf

^^ A summary of the first public meeting. This one is actually somewhat thorough, and apparently several people suggested extending the Q52 to Far Rockaway. 

To the MTA it wouldn't make much of a difference since MTA bus is 100% reimbursed with City funding, the City could use the federal funding though.

The City and MTA aggressively use the federal funding for SBS (which is actually how most of the projects are funded; DOT is the one that applies since they purchase the relevant street furniture).

http://www.nyc.gov/html/brt/downloads/pdf/2014-woodhaven-comm-planning-workshop-presentation.pdf

^ Mainly talking about the bus lane plans and the community advisory committee. 

http://www.nyc.gov/html/brt/downloads/pdf/2014-woodhaven-crossbayblvd-public-workshop-summary.pdf

^^ A summary of the first public meeting. This one is actually somewhat thorough, and apparently several people suggested extending the Q52 to Far Rockaway. 

At least there was a nod to the Rockaway Beach Branch in the workshop.

Also, this important takeaway:

Bus lane locations will be planned where they would benefit bus riders,

and where traffic analysis shows that they can be installed without undue
impact on general traffic.

So I think the doomsday scenario is a bit overblown.

I don't know how my response in the quote changed but yeah it would be great to see Queens get something good for once. I really think it's dumb how College Point takes all those express routes and LGA get all the local knowing that those buses are in and out the depot with little care. CP would be the perfect depot for Artics instead of LGA. CP clearly has more busier routes than LGA with the busiest being the Q23.

One time during Bike-A-Marathon, Q102 got stuck in broken radio and he has to kept going around because he couldn't get to Roosevelt Island because radio was broken.

• 2 weeks later...

The next workshop is on Wednesday, June 25th. 

http://www.nyc.gov/html/brt/downloads/pdf/2014-woodhavenblvd-selectbusservice-designworkshop.pdf

Members of Community Board 10 in Queens, which covers the (A) train at Rockaway Blvd down to the ends of Howard Beach where the Q11 and Q21 terminate, are worried about the planned bus lanes. 

http://www.qchron.com/editions/south/cb-has-issues-with-woodhaven-bus-lanes/article_2a3e69cd-6ba5-528c-a716-4a651e972bbd.html

http://theforumnewsgroup.com/2014/06/12/city-pushes-select-bus-service-on-cross-bay-woodhaven-boulevards/

Whoever told you that there'll be a new Q114 didn't even say what the purpose of this route was? Saying only that it starts in Jamaica is basically saying nothing at all. 

There already is full-time Q113 local service. 

I know, I was saying that they might just make a different numeric variation of it, considering how people out here like to bitch about simple things like that.

The next workshop is on Wednesday, June 25th. 

http://www.nyc.gov/html/brt/downloads/pdf/2014-woodhavenblvd-selectbusservice-designworkshop.pdf

Members of Community Board 10 in Queens, which covers the (A) train at Rockaway Blvd down to the ends of Howard Beach where the Q11 and Q21 terminate, are worried about the planned bus lanes. 

http://www.qchron.com/editions/south/cb-has-issues-with-woodhaven-bus-lanes/article_2a3e69cd-6ba5-528c-a716-4a651e972bbd.html

http://theforumnewsgroup.com/2014/06/12/city-pushes-select-bus-service-on-cross-bay-woodhaven-boulevards/

To some extent, I don't blame them. Parking between that area is kinda hard to get. Personally, there shouldn't be any kind of bus lanes out there.

I know, I was saying that they might just make a different numeric variation of it, considering how people out here like to bitch about simple things like that.

To some extent, I don't blame them. Parking between that area is kinda hard to get. Personally, there shouldn't be any kind of bus lanes out there.

But that is the bottleneck that slows down Q53/52 service the most which is why bus lanes are proposed there there is plenty of parking on local roads surrounding woodhaven Blvd they can use.

But that is the bottleneck that slows down Q53/52 service the most which is why bus lanes are proposed there there is plenty of parking on local roads surrounding woodhaven Blvd they can use.

Not true, the bottleneck is between Myrtle and Jamaica Avenues. The line is smooth between Rockaway and the Cross Bay Bridge in both directions.

Not.....I just read this post and not the entire post......but the bottle neck starts at around the 3pm on the bridge just before union turnpike....gets a little better after that....than hit Atlantic ave till 157 in Howard beach.....after that you are good......drive this line during pm rush hr and you will wish not to drive it again....unless you like sitting and driving for 5-6 hrs....I hope the select a bus helped this line out....but how will you make the congestion go away....unless it has a dedicated bus lane blocked off with a concrete barrier....

Not.....I just read this post and not the entire post......but the bottle neck starts at around the 3pm on the bridge just before union turnpike....gets a little better after that....than hit Atlantic ave till 157 in Howard beach.....after that you are good......drive this line during pm rush hr and you will wish not to drive it again....unless you like sitting and driving for 5-6 hrs....I hope the select a bus helped this line out....but how will you make the congestion go away....unless it has a dedicated bus lane blocked off with a concrete barrier....

It's interesting because from the times I've taken the Q53 back home from work during the height of the rush, I never really had any issues between Atlantic and 157th. It's always been around the area of the bridge/home depot/those other stores in that lil plaza.

Not true, the bottleneck is between Myrtle and Jamaica Avenues. The line is smooth between Rockaway and the Cross Bay Bridge in both directions.

If by "rockaway" you mean rockaway blvd, That's not true either.... You're implicating there's little to no traffic along Cross Bay Blvd.....

Been stuck in that very traffic TOO many times on the QM16 to know that's not the case....

Like CPBO said, it is at 157th where that heavy traffic eases up.... Because by that time, you have the masses that done turned off for residential Howard/Old Howard/Hamilton Beach, or access to the Belt.....

It's interesting because from the times I've taken the Q53 back home from work during the height of the rush, I never really had any issues between Atlantic and 157th. It's always been around the area of the bridge/home depot/those other stores in that lil plaza.

Just saw this post....

You must be talking about northbound travel only (in this latest post) during the PM rush (in that last post, you said both directions, which is why I came in & said nah, that's not true).... Because again, CPBO is spot on, regarding southbound travel during the PM rush.....

The area around that overpass by them stores, it's evident that area is gonna be hit hard w/ traffic from both directions.... No disagreement there.

*digs up post about Community Boards serving the interests of drivers*

This is what I mean. See, it's cars that go to stores, not people, so clearly we need to make sure everything is made for the convenience of cars, cars, cars, cars. Because if there's anything 50 years of dumb American planning has taught us, it's that basing everything around the automobile tooooootally works great long term.

Either do it all the way, or don't do it. Honestly, I don't see the point of this SBS thing if they're going to end up (as always) cutting and cutting it down until it's a mile of [completely unenforced after local politician complaints] bus lanes and off-board payment. That being said, if those community boards are down for better transit but don't want to lose parking, they need to get out the campaign to reactivate the Rockaway Beach ROW.

Perhaps it was just from my timing, I had to work near 163rd a few weeks ago for 4 days and it was kinda smooth for me going down and up. The times I took it back up was around 4PM and out of those 4 days, 2 of those days had some traffic between Sutter and 157th, but it wasn't like horrifically bad, it was moving.

I guess I gotta check out that area more often.

They need the QM15 and BM5 to use those lanes. How the QM15 buses are always 10 minutes behind schedule all the time and  then it gets ahead once it loops out of Manhattan is beyond me (and mind you, they're giving similar runtime for each leg).

That depends on what kind of lanes Woodhaven ends up getting. If it gets curbside/offset lanes, they will definitely been shared, since all current bus lanes do that. However, if median bus lanes are the preferred option, that becomes a lot more difficult since a bus serving median lanes wouldn't be able to make local stops in the middle of the street.

So I had a DOT guy ride my q25 bus the other morning, with a laptop.....he hit me up 2 x's....so I asked him what's going on....he said this line is up for SBS...and we are tracking the ridership....I told him he needed to be doing this in March or early April......not end of June....queens college is having graduations...regents week for school kids.....like you can't make this stuff up....if they go by that snap shot....line will not get a SBS.... I had empty bus.....both times....

Archived