Q52/Q53 +SelectBusService

Mysterious2train

I don't like the idea of the Q113 getting SBS. Those machines are gonna be tagged and broken. The only routes I think that could get SBS without a problem is the Q46, and Q52/Q53

A lot of Queens route can use artics but that basically it. I don't support Merrick Blvd getting SBS because the Q5 is fairly fast and I also think those kids are going to destroy and tag up the boxes. I remember back when those new bus shelters were put down, they were tagged at least 4 times until they stopped. The problem with Queens is that the streets are too narrow or routes make a lot of turns. The Q27, Q44, Q10 and Q58 would be perfect routes because they have high ridership, all except the Q10 take over an hour to get to its terminals and they have high student usage which during rush hours the bus is always packed. The only problem stopping SBS is the roads themselves. I hope Queens gets some love and has more artic depots, too bad CP can't get them and be just like West Farm with both CNG and Articulated buses.

If the SBS machines can survive the BX41 and the northern portion of the M15, then they will be just fine on the Q113.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I had a DOT guy ride my q25 bus the other morning, with a laptop.....he hit me up 2 x's....so I asked him what's going on....he said this line is up for SBS...and we are tracking the ridership....I told him he needed to be doing this in March or early April......not end of June....queens college is having graduations...regents week for school kids.....like you can't make this stuff up....if they go by that snap shot....line will not get a SBS.... I had empty bus.....both times....

Q25 SBS that's different. The Q25 and Q34 has been my home route for the last 12 years and there has been a lot of improvements as far a service and usage. The one thing I wanted to see is some artics on these lines. Even if it's just during rush hour it's good enough. I hope the frequency on the weekends for the Q25 can be changed to 8 minutes on Saturdays and 10 on Sundays. The ridership has increased a lot in the past 3 years and I don't think 10 and 12 minute headways cuts it anymore. There are other things that can be improved such as the headways on weekdays and the span of limited service but other than that I don't really think it needs SBS.

besides if im not mistaken the Q5 was supposed to get sbs but there was big community opposition and it was scrapped 

Q5 SBS was scrapped because of NIMBY's with car loose parking space.

If the SBS machines can survive the BX41 and the northern portion of the M15, then they will be just fine on the Q113.

I'm sure SBS Machine will survive on Woodhaven Blvd SBS because SBS on Bx41, M60, B44 machines are working perfectly.

besides if im not mistaken the Q5 was supposed to get sbs but there was big community opposition and it was scrapped 

It was the parking issue, and the fact that speeding up the section in Jamaica was not part of the corridor improvements, even though it would've resulted in the fastest service improvement. As a result, DOT resources in Queens were redirected to the Jamaica Bus Hub study, and several bus lanes within Jamaica were extended, realigned, or removed.

Q5 SBS was scrapped because of NIMBY's with car loose parking space.

I'm sure SBS Machine will survive on Woodhaven Blvd SBS because SBS on Bx41, M60, B44 machines are working perfectly.

idiot NIMBYs with their stupid car parking spaces. Why can't you just look a few blocks away?

• 4 weeks later...

Select Bus Skepticism Along Woodhaven Blvd

The city Department of Transportation’s plans to build dedicated bus lanes along Woodhaven and Cross Bay boulevards — and perhaps bring select bus service along the route in the future — was met with some concern and even hard-line opposition last week. Some residents from Woodhaven and other communities who attended a forum on the plan at PS 306 last Wednesday were not so keen on the proposal.

Concerns about parking, traffic and whether select bus service would lead to a reduction of local buses kept DOT representatives on their feet during the meeting. “We want to know if we are wasting our time here,” one resident said to Robert Thompson, DOT’s senior project manager for transit development, noting the construction of poles to hold “bus lane” signs is already underway along Woodhaven Boulevard in Rego Park and Middle Village. “Is this going to happen regardless of what we want, or are you going to actually listen to us?” Thompson did not deny that plans to install bus lanes on the boulevard will move forward, but assured the residents that their ideas were desired. “We want to hear your thoughts and we do take them into consideration,” he said.

The city’s plan is to build bus lanes along Woodhaven and Cross Bay boulevards and turn the Q53 and Q52 routes into select bus service lines from the Rockaways to their terminuses at 61st Street and Roosevelt Avenue in Woodside and Queens Center Mall in Elmhurst, respectively.

That means buses will have their own dedicated lanes and priority at traffic lights for all or most of the route, and passengers will have a special fare collection system outside the bus to expedite passenger boarding.

The idea is to speed up service between the Rockaways and northern Queens, entice commuters to use the buses over cars and reduce traffic along the congested route.

Later this summer, the DOT is set to install bus lanes on Woodhaven Boulevard between Metropolitan and Eliot avenues, where the agency says the current street configuration — eight lanes in either direction with a fairly wide center median — allows for the lanes to be built with little effect on parking or traffic.

Along that section of the route, the number of traffic lanes would be reduced to three in either direction and the right lane would become a bus lane with curbside parking between it and the sidewalk remaining. But south of Metropolitan Avenue, things get tricky. The often-congested overpass that spans the LIRR Long Island City branch between Metropolitan Avenue and Union Turnpike carries only six lanes, and southbound, the left lane also serves cars turning left onto Union Turnpike. That turn, which the DOT attempted to eliminate several years ago, often backs up cars during afternoon rush hours causing extensive delays that can stretch back to St. John’s Cemetery.

“As it is now, we can’t afford to take out a lane on that bridge for buses,” one DOT official said.

Between Union Turnpike and Myrtle Avenue, Woodhaven Boulevard has three center lanes and two service lanes separated by a small center median and two side medians, a configuration the official called the “Champs-…lysÈes,” after the iconic street in Paris which pioneered the design. The boulevard also has that same configuration between Park Lane South and Liberty Avenue in Woodhaven and Ozone Park.

Along those stretches, the addition of bus lanes may mean the reduction of traffic lanes, elimination of curbside parking, or mandate a complete redesign of the boulevard.

The DOT’s forum on Wednesday offered residents a chance to design potential configurations from Glendale through Howard Beach. Breaking up into groups, attendees, who included residents from Woodhaven, Ozone Park and the Rockaways, members of community boards 5, 9 and 10 and transit advocates, used photos of certain locations on the boulevard to design new lane configurations. Kenichi Wilson, chairman of Community Board 9’s Transportation Committee, lives on Woodhaven Boulevard in Ozone Park. He said he would only support a proposal that doesn’t affect curbside parking. Wilson suggested wider center medians with a bus stop there. Though the DOT has not done that in New York, Eric Beeton, a DOT planner, noted it has been done successfully in other cities.

“It’s something we would look into if that’s what people want,” he said. Wilson was adamant that bus lanes should not interfere with parking. “If we were going to do it, this is the only way I would support it,” Wilson told a DOT official. It wouldn’t be the first time parking issues sunk SBS.

An attempt to institute the service along Merrick Boulevard in Southeast Queens was defeated by local civic leaders several years ago because the DOT’s design would have replaced parking lanes with bus lanes, taking away curbside parking.

At the June 5 meeting of CB 10, concerns over the elimination of parking for several blocks north and south of Liberty Avenue on Woodhaven and Cross Bay boulevards garnered the board’s opposition. “It will have a real negative effect on businesses in the area,” CB 10’s first vice chairman, John Calcagnile, warned. The DOT noted that the bus lanes would only be in effect during rush hours, but that didn’t win over much support.

Last week, some expressed concern that select bus service would just pass through Woodhaven and only serve the Rockaways and northern Queens, as the Q53 had for years. Until 2006, the bus ran nonstop between Broad Channel and Rego Park, skipping the neighborhoods in between. Phil McManus, a resident of Rockaway who formed the Queens Public Transit Committee, a group advocating better transportation options throughout Queens, most notably the controversial proposal to reactivate the Rockaway Beach rail line, said he is not completely behind the select bus service. “I’m not against more and faster buses,” he said. “But there’s a real possibility that it will affect local service.”

He, and several other residents, asked the DOT if select bus service would stop in Woodhaven and if it would lead to reduced service on the local routes along the corridor, such as the Q11 and Q21 buses. Opponents of select bus service argue that reduction in other service is what happened along Nostrand Avenue in Brooklyn when select bus service there started last year. Neither the DOT nor the MTA would confirm or deny the Nostrand Avenue allegations, but noted that Jamaica Avenue is one of the busiest bus stops on the corridor where there is a connection to the J and Z trains. Woodhaven residents also suggested stops at Atlantic Avenue and Forest Park Drive at the Forest Park Co-Ops, both of which are currently served by express buses to Manhattan.

SBS had been instituted in every borough except Queens until this year, when the M60, which connects Harlem to LaGuardia Airport, became an SBS line.

More of the same, but it seems a little late to be worried about the MTA decreasing local service on the Q11 and Q21? Service every 15 minutes off-peak is low enough, would the MTA really reduce it any further (Besides maybe re-scheduling Southbound Q11 and Q21 service to leave at the same time, which I don't think will happen. For the record, there was no local service cut on the B44, other than a small cut done out of necessity that didn't really affect anybody, but I can't blame anybody for thinking that there was.) 

Also for the record, at the moment the bus lanes are only planned in two places: offset from Eliot Av to Metropolitan Av, and curbside from 101 Av to Liberty Av (Southbound) and from Plattwood Av to Liberty Av (Northbound)

More of the same, but it seems a little late to be worried about the MTA decreasing local service on the Q11 and Q21? Service every 15 minutes off-peak is low enough, would the MTA really reduce it any further (Besides maybe re-scheduling Southbound Q11 and Q21 service to leave at the same time, which I don't think will happen. For the record, there was no local service cut on the B44, other than a small cut done out of necessity that didn't really affect anybody, but I can't blame anybody for thinking that there was.) 

Also for the record, at the moment the bus lanes are only planned in two places: offset from Eliot Av to Metropolitan Av, and curbside from 101 Av to Liberty Av (Southbound) and from Plattwood Av to Liberty Av (Northbound)

The frequency is really every 30 nothbound, and 15 southbound right now, because they come together. I could see the evening headway for both after like 10 PM or 11 PM becoming every 40 minutes (combined, every 20 minutes). I honestly think 15 minutes is enough. Nowadays, most people utilize the Q53.

With select bus service, I would not add a stop at Forest Park Drive, the express is good enough, IMO. It's close proximity to Myrtle anyways. Here's how I would do the stop selection for both Q52 and Q53

Q53:                                                   Q52:

Woodside LIRR                             Hoffman Drive/ QCM

75 Street                                       63 Drive

Elmhurst Hospital                          Metropolitan Avenue

Elmhurst Avenue                           Jamaica Avenue

Grand Avenue                              Rockaway Blvd

Hoffman Drive/ QCM                     157 Avenue

63 Drive                                        5 Road

Metropolitan Avenue                      Noel/ 9 Rd

Myrtle Avenue                                 16 Road

Jamaica Avenue                             Beach 91 St

Atlantic Avenue                               Beach 84 St

Rockaway Blvd                               Beach 73 St

157 Avenue                                    Beach 69 St

164 Avenue

Noel Rd/9 Rd

16 Road 

Beach 96 Street

Beach 105 Street

Beach 116 Street

Select Bus Skepticism Along Woodhaven Blvd

Well, guess we're chucking median BRT out the window (again).

Generally, SBS has resulted in both increased local and SBS service; the only corridor where this is not the case would be the M60, but that's because the Q19 isn't doin much anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.nyc.gov/html/brt/downloads/pdf/2014-woodhaven-comm-planning-workshop-presentation.pdf

^ Mainly talking about the bus lane plans and the community advisory committee. 

http://www.nyc.gov/html/brt/downloads/pdf/2014-woodhaven-crossbayblvd-public-workshop-summary.pdf

^^ A summary of the first public meeting. This one is actually somewhat thorough, and apparently several people suggested extending the Q52 to Far Rockaway. 

Instead of wasting time and money with "community advisoty committees" and "public meetings," it would make more sense if they would just announce now exactly what they have already decided to do.

• 1 month later...

Speaking off Q52/Q53 SBS Proposal, Rockaway Youth Task Force and Queens Public Transit Committee want Q52 bus to Far Rockaway along with restoration of Rockaway Beach Line and continue service of Rockaways-BAT Seastreak service.

10526018_10152429037972736_5770418857670

That's a thumbnail from my video...

Would be nice if people asked for permission, don't really care though for something like this.

Speaking off Q52/Q53 SBS Proposal, Rockaway Youth Task Force and Queens Public Transit Committee want Q52 bus to Far Rockaway along with restoration of Rockaway Beach Line and continue service of Rockaways-BAT Seastreak service.

10526018_10152429037972736_5770418857670

There aren't enough buses to do that unless something else is cut.  What does this group suggest cutting to pay for an extended Q52?

There aren't enough buses to do that unless something else is cut. What does this group suggest cutting to pay for an extended Q52?

Well they cut into Q53 service to make the 52. They would probably would have to cut into Q22 service. I doubt they'll do that

I don't think they cut Q53 bus.

As the Q52 runs, The Q53 still does... What's there to think about.....

Well they cut into Q53 service to make the 52. They would probably would have to cut into Q22 service. I doubt they'll do that

If it were to come to fruition, I happen to think that the MTA would though.... If there are as many Q22 riders xferring to 52's or 53's, it's indicating that as many (Far) Rockaway patrons need mainland Queens (and beyond).... There's already the turnover that happens with the Q35 at B. 169th.... Could also be that Far Rockaway patrons are increasingly getting fed up with (A) train service....

In short, it illustrates the declining usage for an intra-Rockaways route.....

Looking on the bright side, at least they haven't went through with combining the Q22 w/ the Q35 (like some suggest should happen).....

If it were to come to fruition, I happen to think that the MTA would though.... If there are as many Q22 riders xferring to 52's or 53's, it's indicating that as many (Far) Rockaway patrons need mainland Queens (and beyond).... There's already the turnover that happens with the Q35 at B. 169th.... Could also be that Far Rockaway patrons are increasingly getting fed up with (A) train service....

Looking on the bright side, at least they haven't went through with combining the Q22 w/ the Q35 (like some suggest should happen).....

Ah, the Q22. We hardly knew ye. That's the reason I believe a certain member wanted a limited variant of the 22. So what would be better, all routes serving the Rockaways coming from mainland Queens? I mean the 22 IMO has pretty much stayed the same since its Green Line days

As the Q52 runs, The Q53 still does... What's there to think about.....

If anything, the Q52 should be considered for an eastward extension to at least Ocean Village, and then take a quicker way to Far Rockaway (A) bypassing St. John's Hospital. The problem with the Q22 is that it is notoriously unreliable. Additional stops would be at:

Rockaway Beach Boulevard and Beach 67 Street

Rockaway Beach Boulevard and Beach 62 Street

Rockaway Beach Boulevard and Beach 59 Street

Beach 54 Street and Beach Channel Drive

Beach Channel Drive and Beach 40 Street

Beach Channel Drive and Bay 32 Street

Beach Channel Drive and Bay 25 Street

Beach Channel Drive and Cornaga Avenue

Beach Channel Drive and Mott Avenue (to Elmhurst)

Beach 21 Street off street

Archived