R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

No. ^

They are converted R142As and some 5-car trains will have a single car inserted to become 6-car sets. As of right now, Kawasaki will also be building a few 6 car sets as well. So to be technical, R188s will come as singles and 6 car sets, while the 5-car ones will be converted R142As.

Call me dumb, I could care less.

But why are the R188 in Corona a 5 Car set instead of 10?

Those were only the converted R142As, I don't think Kawasaki has built the individual cars yet (to insert them into a 5-car set). Edited by Grand Concourse

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. ^

They are converted R142As and some 5-car trains will have a single car inserted to become 6-car sets. As of right now, Kawasaki will also be building a few 6 car sets as well. So to be technical, R188s will come as singles and 6 car sets, while the 5-car ones will be converted R142As.

Those were only the converted R142As, I don't think Kawasaki has built the individual cars yet (to insert them into a 5-car set).

Kay chief.

Two Words. SERVICE EXPANSION. Have you forgotten that the extension to 11th Avenue will require 4 more trains to be squeezed onto the line?

Exactly. There are going to be 8 new trainsets, four of which will serve as expansion for the extension, and two as service expansion as part of CBTC. The remaining two new sets will keep two more R142A mainline sets on the mainline for an increase in the spare factor once the R62A's transfer back.

• 4 weeks later...

Wabtec Signs Contracts To Provide Components For 473 Subway Cars For New York City

Wabtec Corporation (NYSE: WAB) has signed contracts valued at about $34 million to provide components for 473 subway cars being supplied by Kawasaki to MTA New York City Transit under the R-188 option order. The cars are scheduled to be delivered in 2013-15.

Wabtec will provide the following components for the cars: Brakes, couplers and current collectors (Wabtec Passenger Transit), door operators and related equipment (Vapor Stone), and event recorders (Wabtec Railway Electronics). Of the 473 cars, 103 will be new, with the remaining 370 to be upgraded from existing vehicles.

"This is a significant project to expand and modernize a portion of the subway car fleet in New York City, and we're pleased to play an important role," said Albert J. Neupaver, president and chief executive officer of Wabtec.

Wabtec Corporation is a global provider of technology-based products and services for rail and industrial markets. Through its subsidiaries, the company manufactures a range of products for locomotives, freight cars and passenger transit vehicles. The company also builds new switcher and commuter locomotives, and provides aftermarket services. The company has facilities located throughout the world.

Source: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/05/24/4513661/wabtec-signs-contracts-to-provide.html#storylink=cpy

Wabtec Signs Contracts To Provide Components For 473 Subway Cars For New York City

Wabtec Corporation (NYSE: WAB) has signed contracts valued at about $34 million to provide components for 473 subway cars being supplied by Kawasaki to MTA New York City Transit under the R-188 option order. The cars are scheduled to be delivered in 2013-15.

Wabtec will provide the following components for the cars: Brakes, couplers and current collectors (Wabtec Passenger Transit), door operators and related equipment (Vapor Stone), and event recorders (Wabtec Railway Electronics). Of the 473 cars, 103 will be new, with the remaining 370 to be upgraded from existing vehicles.

"This is a significant project to expand and modernize a portion of the subway car fleet in New York City, and we're pleased to play an important role," said Albert J. Neupaver, president and chief executive officer of Wabtec.

Wabtec Corporation is a global provider of technology-based products and services for rail and industrial markets. Through its subsidiaries, the company manufactures a range of products for locomotives, freight cars and passenger transit vehicles. The company also builds new switcher and commuter locomotives, and provides aftermarket services. The company has facilities located throughout the world.

Source: http://www.sacbee.co...l#storylink=cpy

Now if only we knew what propulsion the new cars will have...

Now if only we knew what propulsion the new cars will have...

In time, my friend. On another note, is there any other company besides Wabtec that supplies this kind of equipment? Because they've been getting the subcontracts for NYC stock since the first NTT test units back in the 90s lol.

It's going to be the same for obvious reasons. The MTA is not going to replace all of the fully functioning traction motors on 380 subway cars, that's just a waste of money.

A lot of the bombardier motors are dead on the R142As, more so than other trains from other yards. Hopefully they will replace them with new ones, whether they are bombardier or something else.

A lot of the bombardier motors are dead on the R142As, more so than other trains from other yards. Hopefully they will replace them with new ones, whether they are bombardier or something else.

Still that's not a reason to replace the motors; the MTA mostly likely will fix the motors up.

It's going to be the same for obvious reasons. The MTA is not going to replace all of the fully functioning traction motors on 380 subway cars, that's just a waste of money.

I'm talking about the NEW cars that are being built NEW. I'm pretty sure the R142A traction motors are no longer made by Bombardier, and Kawasaki hasn't used them at all for traction motors lately. For rapid transit cars, they've really only been using Siemens, except the R160Bs that have Alstom propulsion since they were built in a joint venture with Alstom.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

I'm talking about the NEW cars that are being built NEW. I'm pretty sure the R142A traction motors are no longer made by Bombardier, and Kawasaki hasn't used them at all for traction motors lately. For rapid transit cars, they've really only been using Siemens, except the R160Bs that have Alstom propulsion since they were built in a joint venture with Alstom.

MTA and Corona Yard would probably prefer having only one type of traction motor to deal with. So if the Bombardier motors are really out of production, than maybe they will put in something else (e.g. Alstom) into all of the trains to streamline the operations. But, MTA as usual will try to keep short-term costs down, and thus this may not be happening.

MTA and Corona Yard would probably prefer having only one type of traction motor to deal with. So if the Bombardier motors are really out of production, than maybe they will put in something else (e.g. Alstom) into all of the trains to streamline the operations. But, MTA as usual will try to keep short-term costs down, and thus this may not be happening.

They will probably try to get compatible traction motors.

If the motors had to be replaced, who would keep them: MTA or Kawasaki? If MTA, they could use them as spares for the remaining ML R142As. If Kawaski, then perhaps it's part of the contract?

• 3 weeks later...

If it was feasible, Kawasaki / MTA could contract out a propulsion tender for Bombardier MITRAC units that will be powering the R179 fleet. Aside from ordering more of that generic ONIX propulsion, this makes the most sense. Re-equip the conversion units with the new MITRAC propulsion so that way, they maintain a level of compatibility with some part of the mainline fleet, and also perhaps lengthen the life expectancy of the conversion cars. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Guest Lance

Does it sound like her voice on the (2) or on the (F), if you know what I'm talking about?

It's most likely her (F) line voice. Remember, the 7th Avenue line announcements were recorded way back in 1999-2000. Sometime between then and when she recorded the (A), (C) and (F) announcements, a frog crawled down Dianne's throat. Or something.

You know, it's funny, In 2004, Melissa Kleiner's voice was replaced with Jessica's for consistency's sake. Before, the announcements would go something like this:

Melissa: This is a Manhattan-bound (5) train.

Dianne: The next stop is...

Jessica: 125 St.

Dianne would so the stations on White Plains Road and Eastern Pkwy/Nostrand Avenue east of Nevins St, Jessica on Lexington Avenue between 125 St and the Brooklyn Bridge. Melissa only did the stations on Dyre Avenue and from Fulton St to Borough Hall. And all the transfers were all done by Charlie's splice and dice recordings. All that mixing and matching seemed a bit excessive, so it was all changed to one person (pitch differences aside) so it wouldn't sound so discombobulated.

Fast forward to 2012 and we're right back to where we started. And no, this obviously isn't exclusive to any particular line, but Snowblock's post reminded me of this "thing". Ride any line nowadays and there's at least one station that isn't recorded by the person that does the rest of the line(s). Take for instance the new announcement for Atlantic Av-Barclay's Center. For the (4) or (5), it'll probably go like this:

Jessica: This is a Crown Heights-bound (4) express train. The next stop is...

Dianne: Atlantic Av-Barclays Center.

And when the train arrives at the station:

Jessica: This is...

Dianne: Atlantic Av-Barclays Center.

Charlie: Transfer is available to the [applicable lines, dependent on time of day]. Connection is available to the Long Island Railroad.

I'm not saying there's a problem or anything or that the lines should be re-recorded or something because I don't care that much. I'm just stating an observation.

@RookiePhenom: See my first point above.

• 2 weeks later...