R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't say they will be gone forever, Im sure a train in the future will have a RFW even though many of us may be old :o.

Nope its never because R62As start returning to the (6) even late this year until mid 2015 once they all return FLushing wont see any R62As again :) R62As belong back on the (6) and now we get out RFW Back.

Highly unlikely. Management still has a hard-on for the possibility of implementing OPTO systemwide, so no way are they gonna order any half-cab equipment anymore.

How is that EVER going to get past the union without major fallout? It didn't work for the (L) when it went full CBTC, so what makes the MTA think it'll work in the near future?

Because the TWU would throw a fit if the MTA DID order any more half-cab sets.....there's no advantage to them (and c'mon, foaming is NOT an advantage in the eyes of anybody who actually makes the decisions), especially now that they stick to 5 car units where the middle 3 cars don't have a cab at all.

I'll be passing by Kawasaki's plant again today, if 7813 is there I will grab a picture or two while passing it.

I passed by on the evening of the 21st. None of the cars are out in the lot. Only things there are what looks like a Highliner EMU and an MBTA bilevel car.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope its never because R62As start returning to the (6) even late this year until mid 2015 once they all return FLushing wont see any R62As again :) R62As belong back on the (6) and now we get out RFW Back.

Not to burst your bubble, But the cars gonna be converted to 5 car sets when sent over, Which means all the single sets with RFW's are gonna be removed.

Not to burst your bubble, But the cars gonna be converted to 5 car sets when sent over, Which means all the single sets with RFW's are gonna be removed.

the single unit R62A's that will be linked will not have full width cabs, but that can change, 1656 has a half width cab at one end

Yes. I'm old enough (34) to remember those cars first going into (1) service replacing beat-up, grafittied R15, R17, R21, R22, R29 and R33 cars (with the R29s and R33s getting overhauled and sent to the (2), (5) and (6) lines). What a relief it was to see these shiny new cars in 1984.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

Yes. I'm old enough (34) to remember those cars first going into (1) service replacing beat-up, grafittied R15, R17, R21, R22, R29 and R33 cars (with the R29s and R33s getting overhauled and sent to the (2), (5) and (6) lines). What a relief it was to see these shiny new cars in 1984.

Wow, I can really picture that!

• 2 weeks later...

If 7 line not going to receive R188 . by the chance 6 line riders will complaing. Only I can as Second Avenue Subway been built & the line been put to service then it would be different story than 6 line would give away R142A i am very sure. As i know 6 line very heavy crowded on east side between Harlem 125 street to 86 street - Lexington avenue lack of ridership. why not take the R142 from the 2 line. R142 ( bombardier of 2 , 4 , 5 line ) were never tested on 7 line. so excepted complained R142A of 6 line sending to 7 line. Why not tested the R142 Bombardier to be tested on 7 line . Never be tested as of yet. i am sure R142A will fail again 80% sure When last time ran on 7 line Third rail problem. last time 7 line had R142A #7731 - #7810 ? in 7 years aho. I maybe wrong some should know.

The confusion of R142A on 6 line some of the R142A have been re-recordered example : some R142A of 6 line say as it approach Morrison Avenue / Soundview. but mostly all R142A of 6 line as it approach Morrison Avenue - SoundView. ( it say This is Morrison- Soundview Avenue it does not make anysense.) when all R142A on 6 line supposed to be say This is Morrison Avenue - Soundview. lol but lil confusion.

My replies in teal blue:

If 7 line not going to receive R188 . by the chance 6 line riders will complaing.

They can complain, but I doubt that the MTA will listen. The (6) is a busy line, but it's riders don't deserve special treatment.

Only I can as Second Avenue Subway been built & the line been put to service then it would be different story than 6 line would give away R142A i am very sure. As i know 6 line very heavy crowded on east side between Harlem 125 street to 86 street - Lexington avenue lack of ridership.

Yes, the (6) is very crowded, but the R62As from the (7) are perfectly good trains and can handle the crowds.

why not take the R142 from the 2 line. R142 ( bombardier of 2 , 4 , 5 line ) were never tested on 7 line. so excepted complained R142A of 6 line sending to 7 line. Why not tested the R142 Bombardier to be tested on 7 line . Never be tested as of yet.

No, the R142 from the (2) line can't go to the (7). The (2) and (5) lines swap routes at Flatbush Avenue (a (2) train could pull into Flatbush Avenue for example, and pull back out as a (5)). Both routes need R142s or R142As so that the electronic signs can be changed easily when that happens. Therefore, the (2) can't get the R62As from the (7).

i am sure R142A will fail again 80% sure When last time ran on 7 line Third rail problem. last time 7 line had R142A #7731 - #7810 ? in 7 years aho. I maybe wrong some should know.

R142As were tested on the (7) line earlier this year, and there was no problem as far as I know.

The confusion of R142A on 6 line some of the R142A have been re-recordered example : some R142A of 6 line say as it approach Morrison Avenue / Soundview. but mostly all R142A of 6 line as it approach Morrison Avenue - SoundView. ( it say This is Morrison- Soundview Avenue it does not make anysense.) when all R142A on 6 line supposed to be say This is Morrison Avenue - Soundview. lol but lil confusion.

Just so you know, this is specifically a thread for R188s and R142As becoming R188s, not a general R142A thread.

The R62A's on the (1) are anything but old. You can wait another 7-10 years...

Technically, they are old. Since their parts are like the redbirds parts, they really aren't supposed to last more than 35 years. And we already have the flickering lights on the 3 line, which btw, I approve lol