R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 5 car set of R62As that was in westchester yard was in service today on the (6) the other half of the set was borrowed cars from the (1) , all 3 sets were out today for at least 2 trips each on the (6)

Edited by R62AR33

The 5 car set of R62As that was in westchester yard was in service today on the (6) the other half of the set was borrowed cars from the (1) , all 3 sets were out today for at least 2 trips each on the (6)

I cought the R62A (6) at 1:10 pm today, it ran all day, I only took it 1 stop

I can't wait to see the look on all those (7) riders when they see all those new R188's and R142A's converts on that line and I can imagine those angry (6) riders. It's not that bad at least they will still have some new trains.

After about 10-15 years later, the (6) will be back to NTTs once again - as in getting brand new cars to retire R62/62As. By then, the R142/142As will be the older cars.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

After about 10-15 years later, the (6) will be back to NTTs once again - as in getting brand new cars to retire R62/62As. By then, the R142/142As will be the older cars.

Exactly I don't see the big deal over this swap people act like they own these trains, if anything (J) riders should be the ones complaining.

Yup, I kept saying that. If people can put up with it for that time, they will get new trains. The R188s are a mix of new and 2nd hand refurbished trains. I dunno if this means the converted R142As are going to stay over 40 years (that's the general retirement age for most trains) or if the R188s especially the inserted cars will be retired at the same time (meaning they retire 12-13 years shorter at around 27yrs when the original R142As are about 40yrs).

R62s and R62As are scheduled to start seeing replacements roll in two capital programs from now starting in 2023. Also the 188s will not retire 12 years early unless they were to show severe structural and performance reliability decline.

@Grand Concourse

Probably depends - 5 converted R142A and 6 new R188 cars to make up 11-car trains while on the (7)<7>. Remember, the R142As are in five-car sets. Unless if I'm mistaken, R188s are suppose to be 6-car sets. If this is correct, then it is much more likely that they'll both retire together than separately. Because then otherwise if the R142A and R188 were both separate, the former would have to remain ten car trains instead of being coupled with another six cars.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Car Equipment and the manufacturer are pretty serious about keeping the number sequence uniform. 7211-7215 remain intact. 7216-7220 now has 7221 attached if I remember seeing it correctly. Don't ask me which one is the C car. I have not the first clue. 7226 has been removed from 7227-7230 my guess is to be a C car, but that's not my best guess. I don't know how they are going about deciding which car is the C car but I do know the C car is not supposed to be an end car. That still has to be an A car.

R62s and R62As are scheduled to start seeing replacements roll in two capital programs from now starting in 2023. Also the 188s will not retire 12 years early unless they were to show severe structural and performance reliability decline.

2023 is when the R62 is scheduled to start seeing replacements , 2026 is for the R62A , but knowing how the ta is when it comes to retiring trains don't be surprised if the R62/As hit 43-45 yrs so lets not worry about their retirement but the way that both the R62/As are running they probably wont get retired till the late 2020s.

Edited by R62AR33

40yrs as a give or take, could be more, could be less. My question is given the nearly 12 yr gap between the R142A and R188, will they retire at the same time or separately?

More than likely they well retire when the 188s (new cars) hit that age. I'm assuming the converted cars got a slight overhaul in the process up at the plant

Edited by Fresh Pond