City eyes Bus Rapid Transit to speed up MTA rides

Harry

post-5097-0-14873700-1399897256_thumb.jpg
Bus riders rejoice! The city could be getting its first world-class Bus Rapid Transit route on which public transportation would roll — unimpeded by traffic — from neighborhood to neighborhood just like subway trains. It’s early in the process, but the city Transportation Department is considering creating a BRT corridor on Woodhaven and Cross Bay Blvds. in Queens, officials confirmed. BRT routes — already available in cities such as Los Angeles, San Francisco and Guangzhou, China — typically feature bus-only lanes separated from regular traffic by landscaped medians or other barriers.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-14873700-1399897256_thumb.jpg

What I would like to see is certain streets cut off completely from anything but public transportation (buses and cabs).  Have deliveries made at night... The prima donnas that must drive into Manhattan and clog up the damn roads should pay a premium.  

This is going to be very difficult to accomplish in a city like NY.

Needless to say that some will fight tooth and nail against taking away precious driving lanes. After all, what will become of their beloved suburbans, yukons and escalades...

I'm just going to put out that we are at the beginning of the study period. For every SBS route that has been implemented so far, from Fordham to 2nd to Hylan, every route has considered a physically separated bus lane and median stops for posterity's sake. It's just as likely that Woodhaven will be yet another watered-down SBS route with partial bus lanes.

If BRT wouldn't work on Woodhaven and Cross Bay, it wouldn't work anywhere. Those are easily two of the widest roads we have without parallel subway service.

I'm pretty sure DeBlasio supports the (stupid) idea to turn it into a High Line type thing. I could be wrong though.

I would be very disappointed in DeBlasio if he does indeed support turning the Rockaway Line into a High Line wanna-be. But I wouldn't be surprised...

About that BRT on Woodhaven Blvd...there's this ROW called the Rockaway line...

Well we all know that in terms of the federal government they tend to be especially biased where it pertains to funding for real rapid rail transit in New York. All politics.

Well we all know that in terms of the federal government they tend to be especially biased where it pertains to funding for real rapid rail transit in New York. All politics.

I mean, to be honest it's not completely wrong; the pot of federal money is fairly small, and if it went strictly to cost per rider then only big cities with big transit systems would get any sort of funding at all.

If New York had the constitution allow for referenda on raising regional taxes, we'd probably be able to fund a good deal of transit expansion. With a dedicated penny sales tax, LA is raising $40B for new construction over 30 years, and New York certainly has much bigger sales numbers with its larger population, flagship stores, and tourists.

I'm pretty sure DeBlasio supports the (stupid) idea to turn it into a High Line type thing. I could be wrong though.

I think you just made that up, cause I just looked pretty thoroughly and I can't find anywhere he's even commented on it let alone supported it.

BRT for Woodhaven and Cross Bay Blvd, not a bad idea. I just wish Queens depots would be fixed up and able to run artics. There are too many routes that can really benefit from them. I realized out of all the boroughs Queens is the hardest to have a successful SBS route. The well used routes travel on small routes, take too many turns, then you have streets that could get it only if the route had high usage. One that comes in mind is Francis Lewis Blvd Q76. If it had usage like the Q44 I could see SBS happen but unfortunately it is one of the weaker routes so it will never happen.

He hasn't said a word about it. Bloomberg was the one that spouted about it time and time again. A lot of residents here are against it.

Archived