Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

2 hours ago, MJHmarc said:

Crazy amounts of email alerts yesterday and thats why this morning theres no W.  Sounds like an R46 hate group went all out.

Yeah, the R46s are not really fan favorite cars. Maybe the (F) and (R) for nostalgia purposes back in the day but overall, not by much.

Of course, though, no excuses for this kind of behavior. Trains have to make service so that passenger loads are within.

Edited by Jemorie

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/12/2023 at 7:03 PM, darkstar8983 said:

Just can’t stand seeing my home line filled with nothing but R46s. Keeps me from taking the train, and restricting myself to other transportation modes, even to meet up with friends or family, or commute to/from work. Why can’t they run even one R160 and I can time my commutes around the scheduled? They do it with the (Q) daily, so surely they have enough equipment to do so for the (N) too.

You truly are an idiot , I can’t believe that you still are going on with this nonsense about not taking the train because it’s an R46. You have got to be like 14 or something because there’s no way as a GROWN ADULT you are seriously going out your way to avoid a type of subway car 😂😂

Edited by Maxwell179

10 hours ago, Maxwell179 said:

You truly are an idiot , I can’t believe that you still are going on with this nonsense about not taking the train because it’s an R46. You have got to be like 14 or something because there’s no way as a GROWN ADULT you are seriously going out your way to avoid a type of subway car 😂😂

Well actually I’m 32 thank you very much.  I’m just a very picky individual, similar to when people go to restaurants and want their food to taste good. If it doesn’t I literally won’t eat 

Edited by darkstar8983

6 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Well actually I’m 32 thank you very much.  I’m just a very picky individual, similar to when people go to restaurants and want their food to taste good. If it doesn’t I literally won’t eat 

LMAOOOO you thought correcting him about your age was gonna make it better? 

12 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

1. I figured you were an adult but I was trying to give you a saving grace but assuming you were a teenager

2. you being 32 makes it even worse

3. that’s not a good comparison at all, I’m pretty sure everyone who goes out to eat wants their food to taste good, you just make no sense all around and it’s hilariously sad 

5 R160 8-car trains for the (C) : New arrival -> 8401-8404, 8489-8492, 8497-8500, 8505-8508

* The (M) to and from 57 St is at most total of 10 8-car trains. 14 trains were subtracted from their total for the Forest Hills-71 Av overall at 24 (a few moved over to the (C) and 2 for (F) Shuttle) 

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

5 R160 8-car trains for the (C) : New arrival -> 8401-8404, 8489-8492, 8497-8500, 8505-8508

* The (M) to and from 57 St is at most total of 10 8-car trains. 14 trains were subtracted from their total for the Forest Hills-71 Av overall at 24 (a few moved over to the (C) and 2 for (F) Shuttle) 

I guess this means less and less R46s on the (C) overall then.

4 hours ago, Jemorie said:

I guess this means less and less R46s on the (C) overall then.

Not a huge drop in number of R46s used - I think it just buffs up the spare factor to allow some R179s to get some maintenance as well, since they only have 11 trains of R179s and 9 of them must be in continuous service daily. 
I forget if the R179s are still under some kind of warranty, because I remember in the early 2010s, Coney Island would try not to run their R160s as much on weekends, instead opting to use spare R68As from the (B) to allow the R160s to stay under warranty a bit longer (I think warranty was based at the time on mileage). If yes, it would make sense to sideline some R179s to keep them under warranty and use the ENY R160s and the R46s since the latter are retiring anyways. Might as well run them into the ground

Edited by darkstar8983

13 hours ago, Calvin said:

Wouldn't it be 14 trains in service, with 10 trains subtracted? 10 trains total seems like a small amount from Middle Village-Metropolitan Av to 57th Street Manhattan.

13 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Wouldn't it be 14 trains in service, with 10 trains subtracted? 10 trains total seems like a small amount from Middle Village-Metropolitan Av to 57th Street Manhattan.

Yes, however the recent (M) is 50 minutes each direction with 10-minute headways, 5 going west and other going east. The 4 out of 14 are their spare trains at Fresh Pond Yard. 

Edited by Calvin

On 9/15/2023 at 6:39 AM, darkstar8983 said:

Not a huge drop in number of R46s used - I think it just buffs up the spare factor to allow some R179s to get some maintenance as well, since they only have 11 trains of R179s and 9 of them must be in continuous service daily. 
I forget if the R179s are still under some kind of warranty, because I remember in the early 2010s, Coney Island would try not to run their R160s as much on weekends, instead opting to use spare R68As from the (B) to allow the R160s to stay under warranty a bit longer (I think warranty was based at the time on mileage). If yes, it would make sense to sideline some R179s to keep them under warranty and use the ENY R160s and the R46s since the latter are retiring anyways. Might as well run them into the ground

Makes sense.

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

The married pairs of the R46s are starting to vanish, 6244-6246 are removed from the system. They were at Coney Island for weeks unknown if it’s a move only to be thrown out. 

There were talks of salvaging an AA pair for the TA Museum and for “museum runs” so that they can pair them with the R44

• 3 weeks later...

6 R160A-1s are on the (C) as of now, 8445-8/8632-29 was spotted at Franklin Av. Total of 17 tech trains with a 4-car spare (adds up with the 8 car R179 fleet) 

ENY has 40 8-car R160A-1s with a 4-car spare (total from Canarsie and ENY itself)