Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

12 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

On a side note, it wouldn't surprise me if CIY does this with the (N) and (Q) on weekends once the (B) gets techs for 6th Av CBTC.

It’ll be the same operation as it is now with the R68/A’s supplementing the R46s.  When the (B) gets it’s R160’s expect some of them to make trips on the (N) and (Q) 

Edited by VIP
Clarity

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, R68ACTrain said:

I'm surprised Calvin didn't report this, but 1986-1990 Westchester to 240th

Difference from this move is that the LEDs were restored on this set. Before this move, the LEDs were removed, probably to avoid vandalism. 

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

Honestly then send 6214 to SIR. Makes no sense for it to sit here doing nothing.

Mixing R44's and R46's is a no-go.

Plus the way I know NYCT does things (I only worked for the place for 33+ years), 6214 is stripped of all usable spare parts by now.....just a shell of its' former self!

3 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Plus the way I know NYCT does things (I only worked for the place for 33+ years), 6214 is stripped of all usable spare parts by now.....just a shell of its' former self!

Wow…the one car that didn’t get any damage and their response is “let’s strip all the parts off it instead of the damaged cars!” 😑

1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

Wow…the one car that didn’t get any damage and their response is “let’s strip all the parts off it instead of the damaged cars!” 😑

I'm only telling you how they do things.

I am blue in the face because I've been saying this for YEARS, on this site, even on SubChat/SubTalk: anybody here who doesn't like MTA/NYCT procedures has the option of taking an entrance exam, get hired, take promotions and move up the ladder into management and decision making positions.

4 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

I'm only telling you how they do things.

I am blue in the face because I've been saying this for YEARS, on this site, even on SubChat/SubTalk: anybody here who doesn't like MTA/NYCT procedures has the option of taking an entrance exam, get hired, take promotions and move up the ladder into management and decision making positions.

And still politics won’t allow that to happen.

1 hour ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

The car (6214) is not in passenger service but the inside is reusable such as scroll signs, LCD and that code box. And R44s and R46s have difference example the cab doors. 

Edited by Calvin

12 minutes ago, Calvin said:

The car (6214) is not in passenger service but the inside is reusable such as scroll signs, LCD and that code box. And R44s and R46s have difference example the cab doors. 

If I’m not mistaken the SIRT cars aren’t in married pairs so they can always just disable the cab and use it as a B car.

On 2/21/2023 at 2:06 PM, Lawrence St said:

If I’m not mistaken the SIRT cars aren’t in married pairs so they can always just disable the cab and use it as a B car.

You still don't understand.  6214 is an R46.  SIR does not use R46 cars.  They do use R44 cars.  Plus even if they were able to send 6214 to Staten Island, it would still have to be outfittted to their signal system....yes, even though it would not be an operating car.  Plus there are exterior differences, FRA stuff.  Like handles on the side of the cars to climb into the car via a side door.  And they would have to do much electrical work to modify the side doors and put the key hole in there.  They are not going to do that.  It's a waste of money.

On 2/22/2023 at 5:29 PM, Kamen Rider said:

waste of money and effort that would get them, what, maybe another year or two out of the thing, with the 211S on it's way.

They’re not going to retrofit a 47-48 year old subway car… a single one at that.

On 2/27/2023 at 12:18 PM, VIP said:

They’re not going to retrofit a 47-48 year old subway car… a single one at that.

They won't even put in better light bulbs on the ones that are running.  There are a few sets that have LED bulb replacements and these are much brighter but they aren't replacing the others.

11 hours ago, zacster said:

They won't even put in better light bulbs on the ones that are running.  There are a few sets that have LED bulb replacements and these are much brighter but they aren't replacing the others.

Exactly. They start shit but never finish. Just look how the R160’s look. Especially the East New York ones…