Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

The two R46's that were involved in the 125th St or 14th St derailment is coupled up to the 110th St fire R142 set in Concourse. Both sets have various parts missing. 

Those R46 cars are marked as retired, 6150-6151. That's part of the 125 St derailment. 

6062 is the 14 St derailment car is also retired with 6214 (that one was not involved with the derailments but is a parts car). 

Edited by Calvin

15 hours ago, Calvin said:

Those R46 cars are marked as retired, 6150-6151. That's part of the 125 St derailment. 

6062 is the 14 St derailment car is also retired with 6214 (that one was not involved with the derailments but is a parts car). 

So where are the 14th St derailment/Brooklyn shooting cars?

On 8/23/2023 at 11:39 AM, Lawrence St said:

So where are the 14th St derailment/Brooklyn shooting cars?

The cars that were originally paired with 6062 are now paired with car 6212, hence why 6214 was retired. The consist is set up like this: 6212-6063-6065-6064.

As for the Brooklyn shooting cars, I have no clue where that comes from. Are you referring to the 46's that were on the (N) last year. If so, I think those cars are still in service (Someone can step in and correct me on this).

28 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

The cars that were originally paired with 6062 are now paired with car 6212, hence why 6214 was retired. The consist is set up like this: 6212-6063-6065-6064.

As for the Brooklyn shooting cars, I have no clue where that comes from. Are you referring to the 46's that were on the (N) last year. If so, I think those cars are still in service (Someone can step in and correct me on this).

* To the consist of 6064, basically the same except 6062 was replaced with 6212. 

(* reply to the bold): Those cars, 5550-5553, indeed part of what was on the (N) are removed and will not re-enter passenger service as per Coney Island Yard member in maintenance. 5551 is at Coney Island but for FBI investigation as there are major blood stains (that involved multiple people injured from the tragic day) and bullet holes on that car. There was a photo of it afterwards being entirely covered up in the barn from Subway World. 5552, 5553 and 5550 have all their parts removed as in the front has no route indicator and doors removed. I happen to see it by the Belt Parkway where the rush hour traffic was extremely slow giving a close look to that those cars have major parts removed. All in the passenger side in a vehicle.  

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?160537

368342873_3097580840373946_4704871061407

* photo may only show for a day or so

Edited by Calvin

Keep an eye out for possible moves throughout this weekend. 

• With the (M) only running to 57/6 there will be less trainsets in use.

• These additional R-160s may be used for (J)(Z) service.

• Additional R-179s may be sent to the (C) line;

• An Instagram post by the MTA themselves states there will be a boost in (N)(R) service. While extra (R) service will be R-160s from (E)(F) as already discussed before it is inevitable the (N) will need trains from somewhere.

• I witnessed 6072 within a full-length trainset deadheading Northbound passing Utica last night. There is a possibility that it may have been heading to Coney.

So, I intended to post this last night however my phone's battery didn't make it. As of posting this now there is one 8-car R160 along the (C) meaning there is certain to be a few trainsets moved around before Monday. 

47 minutes ago, 4P3607 said:

• An Instagram post by the MTA themselves states there will be a boost in (N)(R) service. While extra (R) service will be R-160s from (E)(F) as already discussed before it is inevitable the (N) will need trains from somewhere.

• I witnessed 6072 within a full-length trainset deadheading Northbound passing Utica last night. There is a possibility that it may have been heading to Coney.

So, I intended to post this last night however my phone's battery didn't make it. As of posting this now there is one 8-car R160 along the (C) meaning there is certain to be a few trainsets moved around before Monday. 

Heard there’s more than 1 160 on the (C) at the moment, also heard it’s permanent (at least until the (F) shutdown is done.

52 minutes ago, 4P3607 said:

The extra service is just midday so less trains will be getting laid up. But more R46s might be going to coney but the (A) need a healthy spare factor of R46s first before coney.

The R160s going to the (C) makes me think they will swap out sets for the 63rd st shuttle.

Is their pics/video of the R160 (C) today? Checked YouTube and oddly, no one had uploaded any video of this R160 (C) train. 

These days anything remotely rare/unusual has a bunch of fanners uploading footage of said rare sighting as soon as it happens. I remember I saw an NG on an ENY route thinking no one caught this yet when two foamers was already there, damn lol.

Edited by trainfan22

1 minute ago, trainfan22 said:

Is their pics/video of the R160 (C) today? Checked YouTube and oddly, no one had uploaded any video of this R160 (C) train. 

Usually anything remotely rare/unusual has a bunch of fanners uploading footage of said rare sighting. I remember I saw an NG on an ENY route thinking no one caught this yet when two foamers was already there, damn lol.

You should set the YouTube filter to today, I'm seeing plenty and all over social media. 

8 hours ago, NBTA said:

Heard there’s more than 1 160 on the (C) at the moment, also heard it’s permanent (at least until the (F) shutdown is done.

Maybe it’s just to make sure 207 St knows which cars are legitimately 207 St cars and not ENY cars and not need to focus on remembering that 3050-3145 are ENY R179s, but I would have just preferred full R179s for the (C) and no R46s (maybe 1-2 R46s switching between the (A) and (C) between rush hours)

9 hours ago, 4P3607 said:

The extra (N)s will likely be the 86 St trips that normally drop out in the AM rush

8 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Maybe it’s just to make sure 207 St knows which cars are legitimately 207 St cars and not ENY cars and not need to focus on remembering that 3050-3145 are ENY R179s, but I would have just preferred full R179s for the (C) and no R46s (maybe 1-2 R46s switching between the (A) and (C) between rush hours)

I was talking a guess ENY had the same thought since the 160’s that are used for the M are marked off due to CBTC use. 

12 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

4 hours ago, MJHmarc said:

I was talking a guess ENY had the same thought since the 160’s that are used for the M are marked off due to CBTC use. 

Where which cars belong to a given yard is in the internal computer system.

4 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Where which cars belong to a given yard is in the internal computer system.

I was reading these comments and I was asking myself "what century are these people in?"  I also think that whenever anybody talks about the programming in the cars themselves, or about how difficult it is to fit all the combinations of lines and reroutes.  If you have a smartphone, even an old one, you have enough power to track the entire system even without external databases.

On 8/26/2023 at 2:07 PM, trainfan22 said:

These days anything remotely rare/unusual has a bunch of fanners uploading footage of said rare sighting as soon as it happens. I remember I saw an NG on an ENY route thinking no one caught this yet when two foamers was already there, damn lol.

Makes me wonder how they get their hands on such information so fast.

53 minutes ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

I spotted a few R46s on the (C) yesterday and the 1 R160. 

It seems there are still R-46 in (C) service and the additional R-160s are filling in for previously missing runs. Ever since the R-160s returned the line has seen an increase of trains, showing up every 8 minutes. Before August 28 the (C) would show up around every 10-15 minutes with sometimes longer gaps.

I saw a number of R46 Cs in service yesterday, but you know the weirdest thing?  I came down the stairs at Bway-Nassau and there was an R46 train with the LEDs flashing "M Nassau St. Line/Chambers St"  It pulled out before I could get to my phone for a pic.  It was the first two cars like that and it was otherwise a C train.  I went down there to catch an R211 but none came.  I didn't wait too long though, just 2 or 3 As in each direction before I gave up.  I had better things to do.

On 8/30/2023 at 12:20 PM, zacster said:

I saw a number of R46 Cs in service yesterday, but you know the weirdest thing?  I came down the stairs at Bway-Nassau and there was an R46 train with the LEDs flashing "M Nassau St. Line/Chambers St"  It pulled out before I could get to my phone for a pic.  It was the first two cars like that and it was otherwise a C train.  I went down there to catch an R211 but none came.  I didn't wait too long though, just 2 or 3 As in each direction before I gave up.  I had better things to do.

There is one R-46 trainset roaming around with the original Pre-2005 signage programs and you may have just seen that. When the R-46 first started appearing on the (Q) in 2019-2020 some cars were running around displaying "K WORLD TRADE CENTER" as that code was updated to "Q 96 ST / 2 AV". The code number for "M NASSAU ST LINE" is a digit off from the program for the C. The R-44s notably often featured this interesting signage during their time on the (C) in 2010.

If I'm not mistaken some original and interesting codes were removed from the latest update such as "X 21 ST QNSBRIDGE", "X WORLD TRADE CTR" or "T QUEENSBORO PLZ". 

A while back I saved the list for all the R-46 sign codes from 2005. I must find that and take a look again.

16 minutes ago, 4P3607 said:

There is one R-46 trainset roaming around with the original Pre-2005 signage programs and you may have just seen that. When the R-46 first started appearing on the (Q) in 2019-2020 some cars were running around displaying "K WORLD TRADE CENTER" as that code was updated to "Q 96 ST / 2 AV". The code number for "M NASSAU ST LINE" is a digit off from the program for the C. The R-44s notably often featured this interesting signage during their time on the (C) in 2010.

If I'm not mistaken some original and interesting codes were removed from the latest update such as "X 21 ST QNSBRIDGE", "X WORLD TRADE CTR" or "T QUEENSBORO PLZ". 

A while back I saved the list for all the R-46 sign codes from 2005. I must find that and take a look again.

I think I found it

https://www.scribd.com/doc/71393701/R44-R46-Electronic-Signs