Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

14 minutes ago, VIP said:

Exactly. They start shit but never finish. Just look how the R160’s look. Especially the East New York ones…

The ENY ones are comical every time I see them. I often see a set or two where there's only one newer LED bulb installed at one side, with the other having the regular bulb.....I saw it on some R143s too.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

The ENY ones are comical every time I see them. I often see a set or two where there's only one newer LED bulb installed at one side, with the other having the regular bulb.....I saw it on some R143s too.

See, now thats egregious.  

When mayor de jackass pretty much cut police funding, ENY R160s started getting hit hard with tagging. The (M) Myrtle cut split didn't help either when they had to store trains on the former northbound side. Before then, The ENY tech train fleet were the cleanest and well maintained pre 2016, they even did a good job on the R32s. They treated the R42s like garbage though.

Edited by R32 3838

43 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

When mayor de jackass pretty much cut police funding, ENY R160s started getting hit hard with tagging. The (M) Myrtle cut split didn't help either when they had to store trains on the former northbound side. Before then, The ENY tech train fleet were the cleanest and well maintained pre 2016, they even did a good job on the R32s. They treated the R42s like garbage though.

At what point?

6 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

They'll replace them when they burn out!

8401-8404 looks pretty burnt out and the LCD digital Ads makes the cars look worse…on top of looking like rolling rainbow scraps. The TA is definitely mismanaged and reductive. 

9 hours ago, VIP said:

8401-8404 looks pretty burnt out and the LCD digital Ads makes the cars look worse…on top of looking like rolling rainbow scraps. The TA is definitely mismanaged and reductive. 

You contradict yourself.  If the MTA was so "mismanaged and reductive" they would not have revenue producing LCD digital Ads.  Since they look like "rolling rainbow scraps" they are certainly noticeable by the riders who wouldn't have the same reaction as you, a railfan!

On 3/4/2023 at 8:21 AM, Bill from Maspeth said:

You contradict yourself.  If the MTA was so "mismanaged and reductive" they would not have revenue producing LCD digital Ads.  Since they look like "rolling rainbow scraps" they are certainly noticeable by the riders who wouldn't have the same reaction as you, a railfan!

You have so much hate in you it’s unbelievable. I’m not a railfan, I’m a worker. Thank You very much. Spend some time with your family and friends and not on a forum where you feel free reign to judge someone. Buffoon! 

23 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

It’s almost as if they don’t care what the rail fans want and are more interested with what the average passenger wants… a working train.

I’m pretty sure customers don’t like walking into dingy and dim cars in 2023. And I hear it a lot from some pax that the (L) trains are “very very dirty” so yeah… the morale at the TA is VERY VERY Low. 

• 1 month later...

R142 6716-6725 are rotated between 239 St Yard and Unionport Yard.  These cars were seen mated with cars on the 7 Av (2) line months ago but this month, they are mated with the (5) group. 

6301-6345, 6351-6715 are maintained at 239 St (41 10-car trains for the (2) with 6726-7130 at Unionport Yard (40 10-car trains with a 5-car for the (5) .   

Edited by Calvin

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

I saw what appeared to be an R160 on the (Q) today. Not sure if it was an anamoly or part of a larger car swap (some have said MTA plans to give (Q) NTTs back).

That R160 what you saw on the (Q) uincy came from the (R) (Romeo) that's a 6:58 AM trip from Bay Ridge-95 St to 96 St/2 Av. When it reaches the last stop at Upper East Side, it programs to a (Q) to Coney Island (southbound only at 8:08 AM) so, it can have access to the storage yard to come back as a (R) again for the PM rush to start at 36 At-4 Av to Forest Hills-71 Av. 

* It's a flip in car assignments because of CBTC on Queens Blvd, used to be a R46 is now an R160. 

Edited by Calvin

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Not usually. The last 62 set was on the (1) for months until recently when the different set came over.

They would be rotated to their assigned inspection facility when due, but if the train has problems before inspection is due, naturally it has to be swapped out for another train from Livonia.  So the #1 Line could get a train from Livonia just inspected "yesterday" and it could go bad the very next day, or it could run great and last right thru its next inspection cycle.  This is where MDBF comes from.

Jamaica Yard has resumed their full amount of 5-car R160s in passenger service. 9108-9112 has returned back in service and has CBTC for Queens Blvd line. Still has the NYS gold and blue but with recent SMS motors. 

1,290 cars = 129 10-car trains. 

(E): 260 cars (26 trains) + (F): 460 cars (46 trains) + (R) 310 cars (31 trains) + (G) 65 cars (6 trains but split with a 5-car spare) = 109 cars with a 5-car spare. Spare count: 5-car spare with 19 10-car trains. 

Edited by Calvin

1986-1990: sent back to Westchester Yard (6) after use on the (1) train. 

(1) : Total of 360 cars (Currently at 355: due to 1896-1900 out of service)  but rotates 1 R62 train from the 3 train.

(3) : Number of 315 cars remain. However, 1 train is in rotation to the 1 line.

(6) : Current total of 430 cars. A 5 car is a rotated seasonal set, 1954:1957-1960. 

Edited by Calvin

11 hours ago, Calvin said:

(1) : Total of 360 cars (Currently at 355: due to 1896-1900 out of service)

6C1E7473-17E5-435B-8128-F7DF48F2A4DA.jpg

Not my photo, but it appears that 1896-1900 are receiving SMS, so it'll probably reenter service once its done.

Speaking of SMS, 207th has been sloppy with the SMS program for the 240th fleet in terms of appearance, with some cars receiving partial bulkhead repaint jobs (pantograph gates left untouched with no paint, thus still black with tunnel dust)

10 hours ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

6C1E7473-17E5-435B-8128-F7DF48F2A4DA.jpg

Not my photo, but it appears that 1896-1900 are receiving SMS, so it'll probably reenter service once its done.

Speaking of SMS, 207th has been sloppy with the SMS program for the 240th fleet in terms of appearance, with some cars receiving partial bulkhead repaint jobs (pantograph gates left untouched with no paint, thus still black with tunnel dust)

Probably saving money on cars because they will be buried anyway.  Perhaps they're giving the full treatment to are the cars that are "head out", that is cars used by the crew.