Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

I could be wrong, but 207th can't maintain the A1s, right? I'm pretty sure East New York can work with the 32s, but if the 160s were put on the C, the cars would have to be brought back and forth in order to be serviced.

207 Barn cant maintain them correct...

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one day along the line ENY is gonna need 2-3 R32's, those R42's need work, and this summer the R42's are going to be running wild on the (J)/(Z) due to the R160A-1 SMS, and yea 207th st can't maintain the R160's, but 207th should be upgraded so they would be ready for the R179 order, the only thing i hate about the summer swaps is that they take R46's from jamaica to keep up with their service

Edited by R32 3838

one day along the line ENY is gonna need 2-3 R32's, those R42's need work, and this summer the R42's are going to be running wild on the (J)/(Z) due to the R160A-1 SMS, and yea 207th st can't maintain the R160's, but 207th should be upgraded so they would be ready for the R179 order, the only thing i hate about the summer swaps is that they take R46's from jamaica to keep up with their service

Even though its great that the R42s will be running alot this summer on the (J) and (Z) Don't you think its better and smarter if 207st send 5 sets of R32s to eny yard and in exchange the R42s get swapped to the (C) so that way the R42s aren't exposed to the outside anymore and on top of that R32s can run better and more times than the R42s.

Edited by R62AR33

Even though its great that the R42s will be running alot this summer on the (J) and (Z) Don't you think its better and smarter if 207st send 5 sets of R32s to eny yard and in exchange the R42s get swapped to the (C) so that way the R42s aren't exposed to the outside anymore and on top of that R32s can run better and more times than the R42s.

the R42's aren't good for the (C), the C/R boards are off since theres no C/R controls in the A cab

The R42's won't run on the (C) ever again. They caused too many problems for the crews and customers when they did last year. They won't be going anywhere except the (J) until they are retired for good.

....and with luck, I'll make it through my entire TA career without ever operating an R42 in customer service!

The R42's won't run on the (C) ever again. They caused too many problems for the crews and customers when they did last year. They won't be going anywhere except the (J) until they are retired for good.

....and with luck, I'll make it through my entire TA career without ever operating an R42 in customer service!

What about the (A) ?

Oh alright thnx I see now.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah it makes sense to swap the 8-car R160A-1s with R32's since 207 CAN mantain them, and ENY CAN maintain R32's...The (J) / (Z) route is 90% outdoors. I dont know, Why The F*** R32's end up on the (A) ...a very busy, demanding, and LONG line. as for the (M) 's cars... the TA should just keep (23 trainsets) stored or laid up at FreshPond and Jamaica. Disclaimer; the (Z) can just be assigned those 50 R42's

Edited by VIP

yeah it makes sense to swap the 8-car R160A-1s with R32's since 207 CAN mantain them, and ENY CAN maintain R32's...The (J) / (Z) route is 90% outdoors. I dont know, Why The F*** R32's end up on the (A) ...a very busy, demanding, and LONG line. as for the (M) 's cars... the TA should just keep (23 trainsets) stored or laid up at FreshPond and Jamaica. Disclaimer; the (Z) can just be assigned those 50 R42's

What the hell are you talking about? RTOMan said that 207th can't maintain the 160s. The reason why the (A) is the easiest because the IND Eighth Avenue Line has a connection to the 207th depot from Dyckman. Even if the 160s do end up on the (C), they have to be sent back and forth for barns who are capable of maintaining them as said many times before. 207th right now can only maintain the 32s. Had them do such a swap then 207th is gonna have to learn a type of car that's new to them and East New York is gonna have three trains, including the 32s. It's going to raise maintaince costs so it won't happen. The R32 (A) / R46 (C) summer swap is simple enough since both are stored/maintain at 207th/Pitkin. And whenever 1 or 2 trains of 42s go for the Fulton/8th Avenue lines, they are stored at either 207th or Pitkin barn as they are just the minority of the fleet.

EDIT: Even if the 32s are beaten harder on the (A), they can still hold up longer like the 46s and any other car type assigned to that route.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

What is the main reason for A/C swap equipment every year, and how long have they been doing this?

The (C) is a fully underground route so the A/c's have to work hard to push out air while dealing with the heat from the tunnels and the stations. The (A) isn't fully underground so the natural breeze from the outside helps to maintain a stable climate and it's express so you won't lose air from constantly opening the doors. Its a dumb idea to me because the (A) is much longer than the (C) which means the trains get beat to death more and since it's a full time line there's less time for the trains to be maintained by their respective barns which leads to more problems...

What is the main reason for A/C swap equipment every year, and how long have they been doing this?

& i'm not to sure how long the T/A has been doing this but it's about time the 32's get retired they served their purpose and it's about time Fulton/ Nostrand gets some new trains instead of these lemon hand me downs...

The (C) is a fully underground route so the A/c's have to work hard to push out air while dealing with the heat from the tunnels and the stations. The (A) isn't fully underground so the natural breeze from the outside helps to maintain a stable climate and it's express so you won't lose air from constantly opening the doors. Its a dumb idea to me because the (A) is much longer than the (C) which means the trains get beat to death more and since it's a full time line there's less time for the trains to be maintained by their respective barns which leads to more problems...

& i'm not to sure how long the T/A has been doing this but it's about time the 32's get retired they served their purpose and it's about time Fulton/ Nostrand gets some new trains instead of these lemon hand me downs...

Well the R32s can't get retired yet they may have served their purpose but you must wait until the R179s are built,tested and accepted for revenue service and knowing the (MTA) when it comes to retiring cars they are late by at least 2yrs. The R179 order is late as is they may have awarded the contract but there is no design yet for it so you can add another year or 2 to the retirement so i wouldnt expect the R32s to be gone by 2017 but at least year later than that.  For some reason the (A) and (C) get the hand me down i assume is cause the cars when retiring get sent to the (C) to get beaten down then they are sent to the (A) and the (A) will finish the job since its the longest line the B division.

Edited by R62AR33

Its a bunch of bullshit. I know the real reason why they do this swap. I've operated plenty of 32's in the summer on the (A) that were hot as hell out doors and then get cooler when underground. And hot cars that the crew have to be in don't get fixed, they get "buried" If you work down here you know what I mean.

"Lemon" hand me downs? Tell that to the 38/40/42/44 which were retired before the 32s.

Built by a different company with their own sets of problems...apples to oranges...

Its a bunch of bullshit. I know the real reason why they do this swap. I've operated plenty of 32's in the summer on the (A) that were hot as hell out doors and then get cooler when underground. And hot cars that the crew have to be in don't get fixed, they get "buried" If you work down here you know what I mean.

I know what you mean (and it be the car i need to be in), does that mean i work down there lol

Well the R32s can't get retired yet they may have served their purpose but you must wait until the R179s are built,tested and accepted for revenue service and knowing the (MTA) when it comes to retiring cars they are late by at least 2yrs. The R179 order is late as is they may have awarded the contract but there is no design yet for it so you can add another year or 2 to the retirement so i wouldnt expect the R32s to be gone by 2017 but at least year later than that.  For some reason the (A) and (C) get the hand me down i assume is cause the cars when retiring get sent to the (C) to get beaten down then they are sent to the (A) and the (A) will finish the job since its the longest line the B division.

I know we have to wait until the r179's come in i'm just saying these trains need to go asap @ Dan05979 I did state a reason why these swaps happen it's not all "Bullshit" the a/cs don't work that great on a fully underground route so you put them on a route that's not fully underground, the same reason why (E)  (a fully under ground route) riders were complaining about the r32's and the 42s in the summer it's not hard to comprehend...

They all had their  problems & they were lemons 2 

There's a difference between being a lemon and being unreliable due to age.

Various texts on the New York subway say that the R32s were very good in their day - fast, reliable and lighter on the rails then their contemporaries such as the R30s - the reason they're worse now is because they are old. One day the R160s will be old too, and then they will no longer be celebrated either.

A lemon, meanwhile, is something that was sh!t from the get go - such as the R44, or the R46 (the latter of which no longer is.)