Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't mind eaither an R143 or an R32 on the (M). And true the conductors position is different on the R32s and R32/42 conductor boards might have already been removed on QBL, 6th Ave and the 53rd Street cut.

All I know is R42s can't run on the (M) because of the conductor position I would definitely like to see R32s on the (M) more than the R143s

And Even though I don't mind the (M) being 100% R160, it would be refreshing to even see an R143 on that line. And come on, R143s on 6th Avenue and QBL. That would be AMAZING!!

Yeah I agree I would love to see R143s on QBL and 6 ave it would be nice to see something different on the (M)

If they really wanted to run 32s on the (M), they can switch the conductors position from 5/3 to 4/4 so they can use the R160 boards

I highly doubt they would do that. the only way they would do that is if they make the (M) around 75% R32/42, and i don't think thats gonna happen. The (M) and (L) would probably trade a lot so be prepared to see a lot more R160s on the (L) if my predictions are correct, which not to be self centered, but i believe they are.

Most R160s cannot run on the L. There will be no big swap involving the R143s leaving the L. Probably not until the R143 fleet is retired will we see any different cars assigned to the L. 

The M requires cars with a conductor position at 4/4. R160s obviously work for this. R143s and R32s also work for this. R42s do not. R42s cannot run on the M without conductor boards added. Perhaps I am being presumptuous, but I don't think one has to go far out on a limb to say that C/R boards will not be added for R42 Ms. 

Most R160s cannot run on the L. There will be no big swap involving the R143s leaving the L. Probably not until the R143 fleet is retired will we see any different cars assigned to the L.

The M requires cars with a conductor position at 4/4. R160s obviously work for this. R143s and R32s also work for this. R42s do not. R42s cannot run on the M without conductor boards added. Perhaps I am being presumptuous, but I don't think one has to go far out on a limb to say that C/R boards will not be added for R42 Ms.

But could they make the (M) stop at the 10 car marker like they did with the (C) train when they R40/M-R42 ?

Where did talk of R42 (M)s come from? I don't recall seeing it before the last page.

As was pointed out before, the C/R position is not an issue with the R32s. They ran like that on the (C) for a bit. Remember, the issue came up when they tried R40s/40Ms/42s on the (C) and the trains had to stop at the 10 car marker due to the offset C/R position.

I highly doubt they would do that. the only way they would do that is if they make the (M) around 75% R32/42, and i don't think thats gonna happen. The (M) and (L) would probably trade a lot so be prepared to see a lot more R160s on the (L) if my predictions are correct, which not to be self centered, but i believe they are.

The R32s have conductor controls in every cab, so they can run in any configuration. They do 4/4 on the (C) and 5/3 on the (J)/(Z). From what I was told, when the R32s first hit the (J), they used the 4/4 setup (just like the R160s), but for one reason or another, they switched over to 5/3 and started using the R42 conductor boards.

The R42s on the other hand, does not have conductor controls in every cab (only the blind ends), and is limited to where they can run efficiently. With the 5/3 setup, the conductor is a whole 60 feet ahead (or behind, direction pending) of a conductor using the 4/4 setup.

If you run an 8 car R42 in 10 car territory, you're gonna have to have modified board positions. When the (C) runs, it generally uses the main board the (A) uses, save for a few locations where it stops at the front of the platform. With the R42s, the boards would have to be 60 feet away in either direction.

-RE: having the R42s stop at the front of the platform (10 car or S marker)

That was a HUGE failure while on the (C). In many stations, with the main exit being at the other end of the station (Broadway Junction, Franklin Av, etc), you had a 120 foot mad dash people would have to take JUST to catch the train. I mean yes, it was able to use the main conductor board while at the same time using the 5/3 setup, it created a major hazard along with it.

In many places, the stopping position matches up with the main conductor board in the station in case of shorter trains running using the 5/5, 4/4 or even 3/3 (for them 6 car trains lol) conductor setups. With the R32s having controls in every single cab, it makes them better qualified for the (M) compared to the R42s.

...that's even IF one runs on the (M) lol

Theres nothing going on as of this point, like i said in an earlier post, its a wait and see kinda thing, the summer is just about over so we could see changes

It makes sense to run about six trainsets on the (M), the SMEEs run all day and all night on the (J), I don't see the issue besides signage to run them on the (M), who knows, but i did hear that putting them on the (M) is on hold for now