Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

On 10/24/2021 at 6:58 PM, darkstar8983 said:

The (G)s spares and Put-ins will likely come from the Avenue X side of the yard and be part of the (F)'s fleet (similar to how the (W)'s fleet is meshed in with the (N) with regard to spare factor and fleet interchange within the yard), and when its comes time for maintenance, the train will go to Jamaica like all the other R160s. Don't be surprised if you start seeing some of the lower numbered R160s (outside of the 9853-9942 series) end up as the 5-car sets of R160s, because now the entire order is fluid and in one yard. You may even see a 5-car siemens R160 in (G) service.

The spares will come from Jamaica Yard like before, Everything will be like it was before when the (G) was at Jamaica. The Only Difference is that there's no (V) train so there wouldn't be that much of an issue. Them cutting the (V) freed up to 140-160 R46 cars anyway which went to the (A) to kill off the remaining R44's. So Adding 90 R160 cars wouldn't hurt them. Jamaica losing both the (G) & (V) lines freed up to 21 full length sets of R46's. Put-In's would obviously come from Ave X and maybe 1-2 from Jamaica yard. It all depends how they will do this.

You are going to see every R160 from Jamaica on the (G). No certain group of cars will be just for the (G)

This Isn't the only movement we will see, But All I'm going to say is CI will be fine with just the R46's and R68's for the time being.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/25/2021 at 1:41 PM, R32 3838 said:

T

The spares will come from Jamaica Yard like before, Everything will be like it was before when the (G) was at Jamaica. The Only Difference is that there's no (V) train so there wouldn't be that much of an issue. Them cutting the (V) freed up to 140-160 R46 cars anyway which went to the (A) to kill off the remaining R44's. So Adding 90 R160 cars wouldn't hurt them. Jamaica losing both the (G) & (V) lines freed up to 21 full length sets of R46's. Put-In's would obviously come from Ave X and maybe 1-2 from Jamaica yard. It all depends how they will do this.

You are going to see every R160 from Jamaica on the (G). No certain group of cars will be just for the (G)

This Isn't the only movement we will see, But All I'm going to say is CI will be fine with just the R46's and R68's for the time being.

I just meant in terms of moving equipment to/from (G) service. Would be I assume easier to move cars up Culver than the crowders Queens Blvd for put-in. I could be wrong though. And yes that is exactly what I said. Any R160 can now end up anywhere on either the (E)(F)(G) or (R)

On 10/25/2021 at 7:12 PM, darkstar8983 said:

I just meant in terms of moving equipment to/from (G) service. Would be I assume easier to move cars up Culver than the crowders Queens Blvd for put-in. I could be wrong though. And yes that is exactly what I said. Any R160 can now end up anywhere on either the (E)(F)(G) or (R)

They can do moves late in the evening or Early in the morning before the rush. They did this before a lot of times. But they could also swap equipment at ave X yard as well and Put those 2 sets of 5 into one train to run it on the (F) during the AM or PM rush so they can lay it up once it gets back to 179th to Jamaica Yard for inspection. they can also run a fresh set from the Barn on the (F) during the PM rush to run to kings hwy to lay up in ave X yard and split the train into two for (G) service as well. You are going to see put ins on both ends of the line, They MIGHT even start 2 trains in service at forest hills in the early am instead of deadheading to court sq.

On 10/25/2021 at 11:58 AM, trainfan22 said:

Even though the (G) is 100% R160, there's still at least one set of R160s on the (N) today.

On 10/25/2021 at 11:45 PM, Calvin said:

Almost 100%, it's 99% today for now. There was an R68A on the (G) : 5181-5184. 

The (G) has all 13 R160s it needs for peak service, however (what will become) its spares are still in use on the (N)(Q)(W) so whenever an R160 needs servicing, an R46 or R68 will replace it.

42 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

It's offical, 9853-9942 CI to Jamaica. 9918-22 is in fact on the (R). I spotted it at Lexington and 59th st. 

No more R160's at Coney Island

Except they'll be on the Shell RD section of the C.I Yard, but, still considered as out of Jamaica. 

Edited by Calvin

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/3/2021 at 7:18 PM, Calvin said:

The 5-car R160s will be 1 fleet consist by the end of this year, total of 1,290 units: 8653-9942.

Routes: (E)- 8 Av, (F)- 6 Av,  (R)- BROADWAY, (G)- Brooklyn-Queens Crosstown  

--

On the other hand, all 4-car R160s are at East New York. 

Correct and that's partly why the M Trains destination was Broadway Junction on weekends so M Trains can basically get to Broadway Junction Train Yard a little quicker, and easier.

6 hours ago, Michael J Q Last Bus said:

Correct and that's partly why the M Trains destination was Broadway Junction on weekends so M Trains can basically get to Broadway Junction Train Yard a little quicker, and easier.

When have you seen an M train scheduled to go to B'way Jct on the weekend in service with passengers and a road t/o on board then going into ENYD?

The only reason why an M would terminate/get re-routed to B'way Jct. would be for a General Order or a blockage on the M between B'way/Myrtle and Met.  Then it goes back the other way in service to its terminal and hopefully when it comes back the crew and train can get to Met.  

If a train has to go to ENYD, there are switchmen who transfer the train from Met (Fresh Pond Yard) to ENYD and bring another train back in return. 

• 1 month later...