Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

19 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The R32s stored at Canarsie yard have been moved, 8 cars of R42s is now at Canarsie Yard instead. No idea where those R32s went nor why theres now R42s in the yard.

EDIT: the R32s were moved to 207th street yard.

DJ Hammers said they moved to Concourse Yard, that's also where the set of R42's came from.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/28/2021 at 7:20 PM, R32 3838 said:

so let the r46's keep dropping like flies then. It's obvious that the r46's can't handle being run to death of 3 24/7 lines with low spares. They don't want R32's on the (A) , this is why i said the (J)(Z).

It's more dumb to run r46/179's on the (C) than it to be 100% r179. There's still over 200 r32's on property, all ENY need is 90 cars. They weren't short when they ran on the (J)(Z) and they only ran 2 r32's all day in the beginning.

It's not about being a fan, The r46's are dropping left and right on the (N)(Q) lines. they need to come up with a better idea or it'll get worse. the original plan was for the R46's to be on the (B)(N)(W) lines but they changed the (B) for the (Q)

y'all kept saying the R46's wouldn't be a problem but now they are a big problem causing all types of issues on the (N)(Q)(W) lines in terms of delays and breakdowns.

There was a huge delay on the (N) because of a breakdown at Fort Hamilton Pkwy.

20 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The R32s stored at Canarsie yard have been moved, 8 cars of R42s is now at Canarsie Yard instead. No idea where those R32s went nor why theres now R42s in the yard.

EDIT: the R32s were moved to 207th street yard.

That 8-car R42 is there exchanged from the R32 as a crew room. But, with better air conditioning for (L) workers going on their break or waiting till their check in. 

Edited by Calvin

54 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

A full 10 car R62A was transferred to Corona Yard this morning. Are one of the R188's out of service or something?

Most likely their there to provide needed air-conditioning to the garbage trains for the summer.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

All this talk about the R46 issues on the (A) and (N)(Q) has got me thinking; would sending all the R46s to the (B)(D) and (G) in exchange for R68/As solve the problem?      

I think Concourse Yard is only familiar with Kawasaki and Westinghouse parts for the R68 and R68As. Exchanging them would take a long time to get to know step by step (Pullman R46).  

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

All this talk about the R46 issues on the (A) and (N)(Q) has got me thinking; would sending all the R46s to the (B)(D) and (G) in exchange for R68/As solve the problem?      

I said this about CI R46's should be on the (B). The original Plan was to put them on the (B)(N)(W) lines with the (Q) being mostly R68's. But Management changed it to the (N)(Q)(W) instead. Not All the R68's have 96th/2nd ave signs. Then I'm hearing Concourse don't want to deal with them (even though the (B) is CI) Because if an r68 from CI need a minior repair, Concourse could do that.

Edited by R32 3838

On 7/1/2021 at 3:56 PM, R10 2952 said:

No!

NQW riders need to relax and stop whining. There are still r160's and r68's running on those lines and most likely these 3 lines will get a chunk of the option orders for the r211's.

In the meantime, NQW riders will have to deal with the r46's for a couple of years the same way AC riders had to deal with the oldest fleet in the system for over 10 years: r40 slants (retired on the A), r 44's, r32's, 42's (retired on the A), r46's. 

Thanks to 8th Avenue CBTC, AC trains will finally be 100% NTT. It's about time!!!

On 7/1/2021 at 3:56 PM, R10 2952 said:

Concourse doesn't have the necessary equipment, If (B) trains ran with R46s they won't be maintained properly since concourse maintains R68/A's. And seriously? What's the literal point giving the B/D R46s when it won't fix the problem. These people crying about the R46s on the (N)(Q) and (W) trains won't solve anything. We got the 211's wait til the order will place out. The whole line runs with R160's and R68/A's either way, If they don't like riding them then wait for the next train model to come in the station or make yourself an alternative.

On 7/4/2021 at 2:31 PM, Jacob said:

Concourse doesn't have the necessary equipment, If (B) trains ran with R46s they won't be maintained properly since concourse maintains R68/A's. And seriously? What's the literal point giving the B/D R46s when it won't fix the problem. These people crying about the R46s on the (N)(Q) and (W) trains won't solve anything. We got the 211's wait til the order will place out. The whole line runs with R160's and R68/A's either way, If they don't like riding them then wait for the next train model to come in the station or make yourself an alternative.

Mainly one reason to the (B) is because during the rush hour, the top rollsign gets scrolled up and down a lot between 6-10 AM and 3-8 PM, Harlem-145 St and Bronx, Bedford Park Blvd. There are trains that some rollsigns are stuck but to be fixed due to the scrolling, so, the R46s would be an idea for thought. As those trains are just a click in a code showing where to and the portion that it travels on. 

22 minutes ago, SimplyMyself said:

240th St R62A set: 2241-5/2411-5 are running on the (6).

I think that's the set I saw coming out of Jerome Yard today, it was definitely a R62A, and a 240th Street Set at that, but I thought it was for (4) service, but it did go on the express track immediately.

7 hours ago, R68ACTrain said:

I think that's the set I saw coming out of Jerome Yard today, it was definitely a R62A, and a 240th Street Set at that, but I thought it was for (4) service, but it did go on the express track immediately.

That set is in place for missing set 2221-2225 & 1954/1958 that went to Corona yard.

Edited by VIP

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The R42's that was at Canarsie Yard isn't there anymore...

I may have noticed. Since last week I have taken the B82 past the Canarsie Yard and Rockaway Pkwy station and have seen the R42s on one of the tracks from the bus as it travels on Glenwood Road every time I have come to and from my work site in Spring Creek…..until recently.

Any idea on where that set is now?

5 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The R42's that was at Canarsie Yard isn't there anymore...

They transferred it back. A 10 car mixed train (8 R32's and a pair of R42's) were sent to ether ENY yard or Carnarsie yard. the 8 car R42's plus that pair that was with the r32's were sent back to where they came from. the r32's were from 207th

Edited by R32 3838

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Amiri the subway guy said:

Here’s a question will the R211s go to queens blvd 

There's a high probability that the R211's would go to Jamaica. The base order would most likely go to the (A) and (C) and if the R211T pilot test proves to be a success, the order options could fully consist of R211T's or most of it. QBL would benefit the most out of the R211T's because of the high ridership as well as the wider doors on the R211's in general. This would probably result in the Ex-Coney Island units of R160's to go back to Coney Island. If they play it smart, they would give a good chunk of it to Concourse for 8 Av CBTC because the (D) has been rerouted along that line quite often. 

Since the R211's are going to the (A) and (C), this brings up the question of what'll happen with the 8 car R179's that are running along the (C)? It would make sense to move them to some other line, probably the (J) and (Z) so the (L) can keep the R143's and R160's, but the (G) would benefit from these cars. I'm not entirely sure how many can cover the (G) for a full 8 car length for the (G) to use, but would benefit the line giving them more capacity for each train arriving.

57 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

There's a high probability that the R211's would go to Jamaica. The base order would most likely go to the (A) and (C) and if the R211T pilot test proves to be a success, the order options could fully consist of R211T's or most of it. QBL would benefit the most out of the R211T's because of the high ridership as well as the wider doors on the R211's in general. This would probably result in the Ex-Coney Island units of R160's to go back to Coney Island. If they play it smart, they would give a good chunk of it to Concourse for 8 Av CBTC because the (D) has been rerouted along that line quite often. 

Since the R211's are going to the (A) and (C), this brings up the question of what'll happen with the 8 car R179's that are running along the (C)? It would make sense to move them to some other line, probably the (J) and (Z) so the (L) can keep the R143's and R160's, but the (G) would benefit from these cars. I'm not entirely sure how many can cover the (G) for a full 8 car length for the (G) to use, but would benefit the line giving them more capacity for each train arriving.

Would the (B) (D) (N) (Q)(W)  Or as I like to nickname it  the Coney Island gang get the R211s as well. Now I know this might make the MTA look stupid and fleet swap look pointless but I believe there’s a fair chance that the R211s will go to Queens Blvd Squad nickname for (E)(F)(R)  the (M) is also a member but it also uses 8 cars Cause I believe that queens blvd will likely want the “newest” train car fleet operating there with the CBTC system and the R211s has more capacity. If this happens then as least 50% of R160s on queens blvd will be reassigned to different train routes. 

For example 40% of R160s from the E train would go to the Q train

50% of R160s from the F train would go the B/D trains 

20% of R160s from the R train would go the N/W trains

that one scenario of the order happening 

But if all of the R160s Queens Blvd Squad were sent to the Coney Island Gang then they would be a benefit the (N)(Q)(W) would get their R160s back and the (B)(D) FINALLY gets New Tech Train cars. Well I feel the R68s/R68As should be replaced since it’s said they will remain in service until 2025–2030. Any thoughts about this