Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

Good God these overly dramatic posts about R46s, yes they have issues but it's not the end of the world.

The R32s are retired and not coming back, get over it already! How many times is y'all gonna to complain about the damn spare factor, I ride B div routes all the time and trains on  the B div routes are not dropping OOS left and right. If you believe these posters you would think the subway is late 70s/early 80s levels of bad which is far from the truth.

Which is crazy is yall is grown men acting like this, I could understand if yall was teenagers but adult posters are seriously suggesting service cuts so their line can have R160s again, ridiculous. Service cuts are not necessary. 

I could understand complaining about poor service, large gap in services, etc. But this spare factor/car shortage complaints is annoying af, yall not the CI yard dispatcher so why do yall even care so about this???

Edited by trainfan22

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re measuring line by line ridership to see where cuts can be made and we go back to a phase-1 service pattern where:

- (C) service cut back to every 12 minutes all day

- (E) - no 179 St rush hour trips

- (F) - rush hour frequency scaled back to every 5 minutes instead of every 4

- (G) frequency cut to every 10 minutes

- (L) service every 10 minutes all day

- (M)(R) trains each every 12 minutes

- (W) train suspended

and use the cars freed up to increase spare factor 

They would only do cuts to one or two lines which is likely either the (B) or (C), The others wouldn't be affected 

You posted all of that so Jamaica could lose some of their R160's back to CIY. You not slick.

Edited by R32 3838

46 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Good God these overly dramatic posts about R46s, yes they have issues but it's not the end of the world.

The R32s are retired and not coming back, get over it already! How many times is y'all gonna to complain about the damn spare factor, I ride B div routes all the time and trains on  the B div routes are not dropping OOS left and right. If you believe these posters you would think the subway is late 70s/early 80s levels of bad which is far from the truth.

Which is crazy is yall is grown men acting like this, I could understand if yall was teenagers but adult posters are seriously suggesting service cuts so their line can have R160s again, ridiculous. Service cuts are not necessary. 

I could understand complaining about poor service, large gap in services, etc. But this spare factor/car shortage complaints is annoying af, yall not the CI yard dispatcher so why do yall even care so about this???

Ok first off, What i'm posting are facts. When you have R46s running like dog shit and being taken OOS, It creates a gap in service. On top of that you have retards vandalizing them making things even worse.

I take them daily on the (N)(Q) and they are tired as f**k. They weren't this bad at Jamaica at all and the pitkin ones are decent but are starting to also show their problems.

Nobody on here is saying the R32s are coming back. We are posting that the (MTA) retiring them out of nowhere due to the fact that people bitched about them are causing the current issues.

So yes It affects a lot of shit. Why the f**k do you think they wanted to keep them until the R211s? So they wouldn't run into this issue. The only thing that is keeping this issue to a somewhat minimal is the crew shortage. 

A Line like the (A) has to share it's R46 spares with the (C) which is very small (5 sets in totals and a pair), That's a problem. The (A) only has 13 sets of R179s and The (C) has 11. Most of the R46s on the (A) / (C) are now being vandalized hence why a T/O on facebook went on a rant about it which caused them to pull the plug on putting that R32 in regular service for a few trips.

And Using that grown man argument is so f**king dumb when you have people in this transit community who do much worse shit than discuss regular shit like this.

When you can't pull a train out the yard because you have no equipment, You get a ABD meaning you will have a gap in service. Why do you think the (C) always have large gaps in service? Because they barely have the equipment. Hence why the spare factor argument.

Edited by R32 3838

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

Ok first off, What i'm posting are facts. When you have R46s running like dog shit and being taken OOS, It creates a gap in service. On top of that you have retards vandalizing them making things even worse.

I take them daily on the (N)(Q) and they are tired as f**k. They weren't this bad at Jamaica at all and the pitkin ones are decent but are starting to also show their problems.

Nobody on here is saying the R32s are coming back. We are posting that the (MTA) retiring them out of nowhere due to the fact that people bitched about them are causing the current issues.

So yes It affects a lot of shit. Why the f**k do you think they wanted to keep them until the R211s? So they wouldn't run into this issue. The only thing that is keeping this issue to a somewhat minimal is the crew shortage. 

A Line like the (A) has to share it's R46 spares with the (C) which is very small (5 sets in totals and a pair), That's a problem. The (A) only has 13 sets of R179s and The (C) has 11. Most of the R46s on the (A) / (C) are now being vandalized hence why a T/O on facebook went on a rant about it which caused them to pull the plug on putting that R32 in regular service for a few trips.

And Using that grown man argument is so f**king dumb when you have people in this transit community who do much worse shit than discuss regular shit like this.

When you can't pull a train out the yard because you have no equipment, You get a ABD meaning you will have a gap in service. Why do you think the (C) always have large gaps in service? Because they barely have the equipment. Hence why the spare factor argument.

That’s what I’m saying. The slight service reductions on the weekday routes like I proposed will just ensure a proper spare factor. I did not say anything about car moves sir (or madam). It’s just to up the spare factor so that all lines have an acceptable spare factor (the (A) having only a spare factor of 5.5 and the south Brooklyn lines (and the (D)) only a spare factor of 4 is not acceptable because of what you said - when trains are pulled there needs to be another train ready to take its place, and sometimes they just aren’t. The instances of abandoned headways would be reduced if the spare factor were higher so that cars can actually get maintenance.

11 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

That’s what I’m saying. The slight service reductions on the weekday routes like I proposed will just ensure a proper spare factor. I did not say anything about car moves sir (or madam). It’s just to up the spare factor so that all lines have an acceptable spare factor (the (A) having only a spare factor of 5.5 and the south Brooklyn lines (and the (D)) only a spare factor of 4 is not acceptable because of what you said - when trains are pulled there needs to be another train ready to take its place, and sometimes they just aren’t. The instances of abandoned headways would be reduced if the spare factor were higher so that cars can actually get maintenance.

They wouldn't have to do that much cuts though. The issue is more of that CIY and Pitkin need more cars, They expected the R211s to be in service by now which isn't the case so they are in a tough spot. They can't really do cuts anyway but if they did it would only be the two lines i stated earlier and they would be more of an reduction of service rather than a cut. They really jumped the gun when the warning signs were there. This wouldn't be much of an issue if they put the R46s on the (B). This would help CIY give the cars more shop time during the weekends and help the R46s reliability. The only 2 lines that would still have issues until the R211s go into service would be the (A) / (C) .

23 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

The fact that you brought the (L), (W), and everything from Jamaica/on Queens Boulevard into this while conspicuously leaving the (B) out is revealing.

I can't wait until the R211s finally start their 30-day test, then their subsequent delivery. By then, the complaining should finally stop, or at least die down.

Also to clarify some things, the (A) and (C) each have a spare factor count of 6 (R46s & R179s combined) for both lines during both rush hours. This is actually an adequate spare factor, but due to the R46s high breakdown rates, they do require a slightly higher spare count, which is what R32 3838 keeps stating. However, there is nothing that can be done about this now, except just to wait until the R211s enter service. Hopefully everything goes smoothly with this order, because we definitely cannot afford anymore problems right now, especially with everything that has happened already and has been happening recently.

11 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

They wouldn't have to do that much cuts though. The issue is more of that CIY and Pitkin need more cars, They expected the R211s to be in service by now which isn't the case so they are in a tough spot. They can't really do cuts anyway but if they did it would only be the two lines i stated earlier and they would be more of an reduction of service rather than a cut. They really jumped the gun when the warning signs were there. This wouldn't be much of an issue if they put the R46s on the (B). This would help CIY give the cars more shop time during the weekends and help the R46s reliability. The only 2 lines that would still have issues until the R211s go into service would be the (A) / (C) .

The few times ive taken the 46s since the swap i didnt come across an issues...that was a while ago as i avoid lines that run 75fts cause of the not being able to go to another car...yes i think B W should run them the most...mta can in my opinion help there reliability with other yards with high spares jamaica send a few ci and eny send a few to the C send there 46s to CI so there much worst 46s get fully repaired in the shop...

14 minutes ago, Lex said:

The fact that you brought the (L), (W), and everything from Jamaica/on Queens Boulevard into this while conspicuously leaving the (B) out is revealing.

I just brought them into the mix because that’s what the MTA did last time during phase 1 and during the omicron spike, and note that NO CARS were moved

Edited by darkstar8983

I don't know if anyone know or that it's different but, before Second Av (Q) and the 34 St extension  (7) , the IRT lines didn't have much when it comes to spares. Most of it is out from the (2)(5) and (4) lines. Right now, the lettered lines are shared out of a Yard while IRT is induvial. 

Edited by Calvin

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

I don't know if anyone know or that it's different but, before Second Av (Q) and the 34 St extension  (7) , the IRT lines didn't have much when it comes to spares. Most of it is out from the (2)(5) and (4) lines. Right now, the lettered lines are shared out of a Yard while IRT is induvial. 

Sorry I don’t understand a single message you’re trying to communicate with this post…

6 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

I agree with you and you have the most solid Idea or premise of what’s happening in transit despite not being an employee. Impressive. I will point out that I operate the R46’s on a daily, they’re not as bad as the R44’s in Staten Island but they have minor issues that dispatcher’s just decide to remove them from passenger service. Anything not to cause Broadway line Reroutes. Yes indeed spares are Low. And hell yea the R46’s in particular as of late have been heavily vandalized or tampered with VERY frequently. It’s a matter of time until the bastards are caught because they’re leaving a pattern… we’re hip to it and I seen a lot of faces on camera vandalizing laid up trains. I hope not to personally catch them. The R179’s are still having now (minor) problems this is why you see more R46 (C) trains and less R179’s running overnight. 

4 hours ago, Calvin said:

49 minutes ago, VIP said:

Sorry I don’t understand a single message you’re trying to communicate with this post…

There was a car assignment roster that was found back then, that had the (2)(5) and (4) trains that showed 34 trains in total (2015). The 2010 update: the (2)(5) only has 3 spare trains each with the (4) for only 5. The (7) has 5 trains as a spare factor before Hudson Yard opened, but, with the extension, it expanded to 8 trains spare. 

This was all through the car assignments roster. The lettered lines are on here (R179 (S) is an error) ...  https://www.dropbox.com/s/39kopiihtqlwjfq/Car Assignments.xlsx?dl=0

Just showing the current car total for each line. 

Edited by Calvin

13 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

yeah, and the (Q) train GO that happened this summer did not help matters, because you essentially had two (Q) services running. 

The R46s on the (B) wouldn't help matters because then some R46s would be stuck laid up in Concourse Yard (which does not maintain R46s, unless they were to be trained in doing so), and therefore those cars wouldn't get shop time. It is one thing where cars don't run (reducing mileage) versus cars needing to go into the shop for inspections, repairs, etc. and unfortunately with the R46s, its more of the latter because they're having higher breakdown rates.

7 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Anyone thinks the R160s are going anywhere but lines that are CBTC ready needs to stick to playing BVE...

Now thats a game I haven’t played in a minute…

Lets hope that by the end of this year that some 211’s are in service (at least 30 cars although that number might be a bit too optimistic) so that some 46’s could get more shop time. 

As for the 160’s, there’s really no where for them to be aside from CBTC Active Lines and that’s Jamaica Yard. Also the way that the B-Division yards are set up with the uniformity (for the most part) of their Rolling Stock keeps things simple, so no need to complicate it. 

(Side note and this is a bit off topic, but with CBTC Being Active on QBL and under construction? on the Culver Line and the 160’s from Jamaica being CBTC Active on top of that, (MTA) could start implementing CBTC on the Crosstown Line now to get it out of the way. Helps especially because that’s already funded in the 2020-2024 Capital Program)

3 hours ago, LGA Link N Train said:

As for the 160’s, there’s really no where for them to be aside from CBTC Active Lines and that’s Jamaica Yard. Also the way that the B-Division yards are set up with the uniformity (for the most part) of their Rolling Stock keeps things simple, so no need to complicate it. 

I think that's the reason and how the (G) is out of Jamaica Yard using the R160s. Seeing a 5-car R160 on their back in October gives a hint that the 9853-9942 are not out of Coney Island for a while. Also, Culver CBTC was on the planned list. 

Also, there's a R160 on the (M) that was seen using 8637-8640 (coupled with 8385-8388). Maybe, 8613-8652 will have CBTC in rotation of the (J)(Z) ->CBTC bypass. 

Edited by Calvin

On 8/19/2022 at 7:26 PM, Calvin said:

I think that's the reason and how the (G) is out of Jamaica Yard using the R160s. Seeing a 5-car R160 on their back in October gives a hint that the 9853-9942 are not out of Coney Island for a while. Also, Culver CBTC was on the planned list. 

Also, there's a R160 on the (M) that was seen using 8637-8640 (coupled with 8385-8388). Maybe, 8613-8652 will have CBTC in rotation of the (J)(Z) ->CBTC bypass. 

Yes the whole R160 fleet is CBTC equipped (any car from 8377-8652 / 9943-9974 can run on the (M) now). The (J) just uses the R179s (96 cars assigned to the yard) plus any R143s and R160s not being used for the (L) and (M) . It is very helpful for the (J) since the (M) train runs so few cars on weekends so that way the fleet can get rest and shop time.

Edited by darkstar8983

On 8/19/2022 at 4:36 PM, LGA Link N Train said:

Now thats a game I haven’t played in a minute…

Lets hope that by the end of this year that some 211’s are in service (at least 30 cars although that number might be a bit too optimistic) so that some 46’s could get more shop time. 

(Side note and this is a bit off topic, but with CBTC Being Active on QBL and under construction? on the Culver Line and the 160’s from Jamaica being CBTC Active on top of that, (MTA) could start implementing CBTC on the Crosstown Line now to get it out of the way. Helps especially because that’s already funded in the 2020-2024 Capital Program)

With regard to complicating fleet assignments per yard, the R211s are going to slightly shake things up, especially with respect to the placement of the R179s. My opinion is that since they’re such a small fleet, they get assigned to only one yard (but that’s not possible due to the split 4- and 5-car configurations). To solve this, maybe just send all 4-car units to the (J) and this way there are enough 4-car configuration cars available for ENY along with the projected 32-car R211 order in 4-car sets, because you otherwise risk the chance of the following car order needing to be split between 4 and 5-car sets again. The spare factor for the eastern division can then actually be appropriate, even though on weekends a lot of cars will just be sitting around.

16 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

With regard to complicating fleet assignments per yard, the R211s are going to slightly shake things up, especially with respect to the placement of the R179s. My opinion is that since they’re such a small fleet, they get assigned to only one yard (but that’s not possible due to the split 4- and 5-car configurations). To solve this, maybe just send all 4-car units to the (J) and this way there are enough 4-car configuration cars available for ENY along with the projected 32-car R211 order in 4-car sets, because you otherwise risk the chance of the following car order needing to be split between 4 and 5-car sets again. The spare factor for the eastern division can then actually be appropriate, even though on weekends a lot of cars will just be sitting around.

This I can agree with. Once there’s enough base order R211s in service, put all the 4-car R179 sets in ENY while the 5-car sets stay with the (A) and/or (C) lines. Maybe an extended (J) or (Z) service into South Brooklyn can be operated with those extra cars, especially with upcoming BQE closures coming our way.

Since both option orders on the R211s are moving forward, it will just be a matter of time before all of the B division is NTT.  And while they will all be slightly different they will also all be CBTC capable and could run almost anywhere, the L notwithstanding, although I have to believe it will become a consistent system at some point.

How long would that be?  5 years?  10 Years?  At this point they haven't put one in service yet and they are late.

6 hours ago, zacster said:

Since both option orders on the R211s are moving forward, it will just be a matter of time before all of the B division is NTT.  And while they will all be slightly different they will also all be CBTC capable and could run almost anywhere, the L notwithstanding, although I have to believe it will become a consistent system at some point.

How long would that be?  5 years?  10 Years?  At this point they haven't put one in service yet and they are late.

I'd say 10-15 years for the surviving R68/A's, really depending on whether people want the last bit of old tech running around though so it could be less for all I know. We still also have the R262's that needs to replace the R62/A's as well

On 8/18/2022 at 1:01 PM, R32 3838 said:

Things like this is the reason why the R46s run like shit. Idiots who complained to the governor is one of the reasons why the R32s aren't running anymore creating a spare shortage. (MTA) spent money rehabbing 100 R32s to keep in service until the first R211s enter service after their 30 day test.  Now you have a semi car shortage and the cars barely see shop time. The only thing saving everything from getting worse is the crew shortage.

Sometimes people just need to shut up. When people complain about subway cars, They do things like over scrap cars and we end up with a decade long car shortage and having cars spend less time in the shop due to them being needed for service.

It's easy to say these things when you're a railfan, and not just a regular rider who had to use these cars on a regular basis. It's easy to call people idiots when they don't understand why cars that are unpleasant to ride in and should've been retired years ago are still in service. Had the R38-44s been made 100% stainless steel, and/or had the (MTA) ordered enough R179s to provide a decent spare factor while replacing all remaining pre-R44 cars, none of this would be an issue in the first place. Most of us here already know why the R32s lasted longer than they were suppose to, the average rider doesn't. They don't know that the R32s original intended full replacement (the R160s) had to replace younger cars (the R44s) because they were in really bad shape. Their later intended final replacement (the R179s) were severely delayed, causing them to be in service even longer. Some riders were made aware of that via the news media. What most of them didn't know was that some were still planned to be kept even when the replacements arrived, due to there not being enough cars to increase the spare factor for increased ridership at the time. On top of that, the R179s were plagued with issues by the time they did finally arrive, which the media definitely made sure to cover. This also factored into the overall replacement process of the remaining R32s & 42s taking even longer. While I understand where your frustration comes from, I don't think it's right for you to insult people's intelligence just because they don't have the same knowledge about the subway fleet as us railfans do. Riders had every right to complain about the R32s, especially since they were well past due their retirement. Knowing the (MTA)'s history, did you really expect them to keep ancient cars in service when there's still double-digit losses in ridership and severe crew shortages that still haven't recovered as a result of an ongoing world pandemic? What's done is done, decisions were made and there's nothing that's going to change those decisions. We just have to wait for the R211s to come and hopefully all goes well with the order.

48 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

It's easy to say these things when you're a railfan, and not just a regular rider who had to use these cars on a regular basis. It's easy to call people idiots when they don't understand why cars that are unpleasant to ride in and should've been retired years ago are still in service. Had the R38-44s been made 100% stainless steel, and/or had the (MTA) ordered enough R179s to provide a decent spare factor while replacing all remaining pre-R44 cars, none of this would be an issue in the first place. Most of us here already know why the R32s lasted longer than they were suppose to, the average rider doesn't. They don't know that the R32s original intended full replacement (the R160s) had to replace younger cars (the R44s) because they were in really bad shape. Their later intended final replacement (the R179s) were severely delayed, causing them to be in service even longer. Some riders were made aware of that via the news media. What most of them didn't know was that some were still planned to be kept even when the replacements arrived, due to there not being enough cars to increase the spare factor for increased ridership at the time. On top of that, the R179s were plagued with issues by the time they did finally arrive, which the media definitely made sure to cover. This also factored into the overall replacement process of the remaining R32s & 42s taking even longer. While I understand where your frustration comes from, I don't think it's right for you to insult people's intelligence just because they don't have the same knowledge about the subway fleet as us railfans do. Riders had every right to complain about the R32s, especially since they were well past due their retirement. Knowing the (MTA)'s history, did you really expect them to keep ancient cars in service when there's still double-digit losses in ridership and severe crew shortages that still haven't recovered as a result of an ongoing world pandemic? What's done is done, decisions were made and there's nothing that's going to change those decisions. We just have to wait for the R211s to come and hopefully all goes well with the order.

I'm not looking at this from a railfan's point a view. I hate when people think that. I don't want to screwed because the idiots at 2 Broadway keep making dumb decisions while our local politicians are pushing for congestion pricing when we are still short on subway cars and staff. It's not my fault that (MTA) didn't order enough cars when they had the chance. They had a chance to order more R160 cars but didn't. They could have added additional R179s (they got 16 cars for free) but they didn't. That's why the R32s lasted as long as they did.

You guys clearly don't get it at all. I don't want to deal with another 6-10 year car shortage because of Bullshit decisions , We are in 2022 and the f**king (G) train is still short and you have mixed length (C) trains running around. This shouldn't be the case, Ridership will bounce right back up once they do congestion pricing because low income and semi middle class people will be forced to take the subway by default since its the cheaper option.

Y'all sit here and want all these things to improve transit but without doing it right. Everyone wants congestion pricing but don't understand the negatives due to shitty management at (MTA)

(MTA) has a history of over scrapping trains and not replacing them and we get screwed.

And the bullshit about low ridership, People said this in 2010 and the shit bounced right up soon after the cuts. In reality they had no choice but to cut service because of the R44 retirement, Them merging the (M) helped which in turn helped retire the R44's without replacement until the (W) returned in 2016 and 2nd ave opened requiring more cars in which Concourse had to give up a set or two of their R68s and Jamaica giving up 2 R160s and pitkin giving up 2 R46s to Jamaica.

The R211 order is meant to fix all of these issues on top of replacing the already retired remaining R32s and the entire R46 fleet plus additional cars for fleet growth. The only issue is that the order is delayed which is no surprise due to the pandemic.