Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

On 1/29/2022 at 7:05 PM, Dj Hammers said:

The R143 and R160 are partially inter-operable (propulsion, brake, and some trainline functions, etc.). The R160 contract included a requirement to provide software/hardware upgrades to the R143s to allow this.

Both of these 4-car links were at Jamaica for wheel trueing. It's more efficient crew-wise to transfer them back to ENY as a single train.  

Can they also run in a set with the R179s though?

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

Not at the moment, the R179's are most likely never going to be inter-operable with any other kind of fleet because there are many more differences compared to an R143 and R160 together.

If that's the cause, then probably ditto for the R211s, unless whatever comes next for the B division has backwards compatibility.

• 1 month later...

The (2), 239 St currently houses 6301-6345, 6351-6725 (420 cars = 42 10-car trains) while the (5), E.180 St has 6726-7130 (405 cars = 40 10-car trains with a 5-car Shuttle spare set). 

Before the (5) had 6716-6725 at E.180 St but was sent to the (2) for extra needs even though they swap car units at times. 

Edited by Calvin

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/3/2022 at 9:20 PM, Calvin said:

The (2), 239 St currently houses 6301-6345, 6351-6725 (420 cars = 42 10-car trains) while the (5), E.180 St has 6726-7130 (405 cars = 40 10-car trains with a 5-car Shuttle spare set). 

Before the (5) had 6716-6725 at E.180 St but was sent to the (2) for extra needs even though they swap car units at times. 

Is 1896-1900 at Westchester? Or is it still at 240th. Haven’t seen it since May 2021 and I ride the (1) everyday

• 1 month later...

The R46 fleet is currently in the total of 744 cars. 5482-5549, 5554-5877 are in a total of 49 8 75 ft car trains at Coney Island with 5878-6061, 6063-6149, 6152-6207, 6208-58 (evens) are in 44 8 75 ft car trains for both Pitkin and 207 St. 

*5550-5553 are out of service for a long time for further investigation. 

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

The R46 fleet is currently in the total of 744 cars. 5482-5549, 5554-5877 are in a total of 49 8 75 ft car trains at Coney Island with 5878-6061, 6063-6149, 6152-6207, 6208-58 (evens) are in 44 8 75 ft car trains for both Pitkin and 207 St. 

*5550-5553 are out of service for a long time for further investigation. 

Pretty much scrap at this point, They keep losing cars and now they really barely have spares.

5 hours ago, VIP said:

The R68/68A’s are (officially) mainly assigned to the (Q) while there are still R46’s in regular service. 

They really need to put the R46s on the (B) at this point.

2 hours ago, LGA Link N Train said:

What happened to 5550-5553?

Basically, what was mentioned from previous: shooting incident where James caused a major riot that led a lot of passengers screaming with fear and being shot at the Sunset Park station of 36 St. 

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

Basically, what was mentioned from previous: shooting incident where James caused a major riot that led a lot of passengers screaming with fear and being shot at the Sunset Park station of 36 St. 

yeah that was a nightmare and traumatic experience for everyone (more so for those involved directly). 

part of the reason the train set is still out is for investigations and possibly there was damage to the train and it needs to be seriously repaired 

On 8/16/2022 at 5:13 PM, VIP said:

The R68/68A’s are (officially) mainly assigned to the (Q) while there are still R46’s in regular service. 

It’s still mainly assigned To the (N), but I think it’s still 6 R68s for each ( (N) and (Q) ) in practice, to prevent the assignment of any non-shuttle route with exclusively R46s. The cars are just THAT unreliable that it’s risky having a full R46 fleet on ANY main line route 

54 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

It’s still mainly assigned To the (N), but I think it’s still 6 R68s for each ( (N) and (Q) ) in practice, to prevent the assignment of any non-shuttle route with exclusively R46s. The cars are just THAT unreliable that it’s risky having a full R46 fleet on ANY main line route 

The (N) has 2-3 sets of 68A’s in rotation. The (W) has about 1-2, down from 4-6 sets. Yard dispatchers are keeping the 68/68A’s from the (Q) stored at Stillwell yard which makes it easier to swap with the (B) layups. There’s 7-8 sets Regularly in service on the (Q) up from the 2-4 sets of Put ins. 

24 minutes ago, VIP said:

The (N) has 2-3 sets of 68A’s in rotation. The (W) has about 1-2, down from 4-6 sets. Yard dispatchers are keeping the 68/68A’s from the (Q) stored at Stillwell yard which makes it easier to swap with the (B) layups. There’s 7-8 sets Regularly in service on the (Q) up from the 2-4 sets of Put ins. 

Usually, during the weekends, they (C.I) tries to put 1 or all from its W service over to the (N) so, that most of the weekend layups at City Hall and Astoria are R46s. It's like on those days, it's a 50/50 for the (N), R46 and R68/A. 

Common seeing R68/As on both the (N)(W) with the upside down letter as M, but with, Astoria and Coney Island in placement. 

Edited by Calvin

I was at 63/lex the other day midday and a set of R46s were deadheading to "86th St", meaning CI Yard, probably due to mechanical issues.  Those cars are on their last legs. 

I was surprised that the upper eastsiders didn't put pressure on Cuomo when he was still gov to get them off the line.  The 2nd Ave Subway was one of his pet projects and then the MTA put the oldest trains on it after originally having the newest, all decked out in special graphics too. 

Meanwhile, the R211s are nowhere to be seen.

2 hours ago, zacster said:

I was at 63/lex the other day midday and a set of R46s were deadheading to "86th St", meaning CI Yard, probably due to mechanical issues.  Those cars are on their last legs. 

I was surprised that the upper eastsiders didn't put pressure on Cuomo when he was still gov to get them off the line.  The 2nd Ave Subway was one of his pet projects and then the MTA put the oldest trains on it after originally having the newest, all decked out in special graphics too. 

Meanwhile, the R211s are nowhere to be seen.

Things like this is the reason why the R46s run like shit. Idiots who complained to the governor is one of the reasons why the R32s aren't running anymore creating a spare shortage. (MTA) spent money rehabbing 100 R32s to keep in service until the first R211s enter service after their 30 day test.  Now you have a semi car shortage and the cars barely see shop time. The only thing saving everything from getting worse is the crew shortage.

Sometimes people just need to shut up. When people complain about subway cars, They do things like over scrap cars and we end up with a decade long car shortage and having cars spend less time in the shop due to them being needed for service.

Edited by R32 3838

44 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

Things like this is the reason why the R46s run like shit. Idiots who complained to the governor is one of the reasons why the R32s aren't running anymore creating a spare shortage. (MTA) spent money rehabbing 100 R32s to keep in service until the first R211s enter service after their 30 day test.  Now you have a semi car shortage and the cars barely see shop time. The only thing saving everything from getting worse is the crew shortage.

Sometimes people just need to shut up. When people complain about subway cars, They do things like over scrap cars and we end up with a decade long car shortage and having cars spend less time in the shop due to them being needed for service.

I agree...The R32s in my opinion was still in good shape despite there age...They not that older than the current 46s in service....And with this new signaling system being installed forced the best cars to go  on some lines while others suffer thru breakdown etc... I agree that the 32s should have stayed in service until they was absolutely sure about the R211...

2 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

I agree...The R32s in my opinion was still in good shape despite there age...They not that older than the current 46s in service....And with this new signaling system being installed forced the best cars to go  on some lines while others suffer thru breakdown etc... I agree that the 32s should have stayed in service until they was absolutely sure about the R211...

And the funny thing is they could have barely ran them as well. They would have be the type of fleet where if they need a train, It'll go in service. They could have did that instead of flat out retiring them until the R211s are in service. The R211s are delayed due to the effects of covid (vendor delays, staff at the plant walking off the job and etc.). half of the R32 fleet were getting scrapped regardless like they are now while the remaining would stay which they are keeping a chunk (Subject to change) until the next scrap contract.

Due to the delays of the R211s, We are going to have more issues with the R46 fleet unless they make cuts to a line where they can balance things out.

Edited by R32 3838

9 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

And the funny thing is they could have barely ran them as well. They would have be the type of fleet where if they need a train, It'll go in service. They could have did that instead of flat out retiring them until the R211s are in service. The R211s are delayed due to the effects of covid (vendor delays, staff at the plant walking off the job and etc.). half of the R32 fleet were getting scrapped regardless like they are now while the remaining would stay which they are keeping a chunk (Subject to change) until the next scrap contract.

Due to the delays of the R211s, We are going to have more issues with the R46 fleet unless they make cuts to a line where they can balance things out.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re measuring line by line ridership to see where cuts can be made and we go back to a phase-1 service pattern where:

- (C) service cut back to every 12 minutes all day

- (E) - no 179 St rush hour trips

- (F) - rush hour frequency scaled back to every 5 minutes instead of every 4

- (G) frequency cut to every 10 minutes

- (L) service every 10 minutes all day

- (M)(R) trains each every 12 minutes

- (W) train suspended

and use the cars freed up to increase spare factor